Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The cnet128 Thread

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cnet128's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The cnet128 Thread

Oh, I don't mean to imply that I've translated the entire archives of every manga I've read. That would take me, like, forever. >.<

The only manga I've translated from the beginning are the ones that I started translating when the first chapter came out (Hitomi no Catoblepas, Sket Dance, and now Hatsukoi Limited), and Neuro, which I'm translating as an archive project, and I've only completed the first volume.

The rest, I've just translated starting from... well, from whatever chapter they were up to when I started translating them So mostly that's starting from the chapters that came out on that mad RAW night when I first randomly decided to do a translation for every single series I read.
    Last edited by cnet128; October 04, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zwivix's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok I was thinking you were insanly fast.

Anyway so your name is Carlos?

Not Accepting Projects(PM for details)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the name I go by online, yes.
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zwivix's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh casue i thin Vel said Carlos when he/she was thanking you for a translation, So i thought that that was your actual name.

Anyway back to some questions

What kind of music do you like?
    If your listening to some music, what are you listening to right now?

Not Accepting Projects(PM for details)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I like a lot of music. I'm not actually listening to any music right now, but I am kind of in the process of organising an Angela Aki album that I downloaded (fetching/romanising lyrics, rating the songs and such).

But yeah, I like a lot of music. On the Japanese side of things, there are groups like B'z and Bump of Chicken who are just awesome. And then there are artists like, well, like Angela Aki... or Yui, or Rie fu. NJT got me into Radwimps, who rock. Most Japanese groups I get into through anime OPs/EDs... I download the OP/ED single, am impressed, and that leads me to download their albums and stuff.

On the Western side of things, I have plenty to listen to as well. Switchfoot is a particular favourite. I've certainly been known to listen to bands like Snow Patrol or Arctic Monkeys. (Hey, I'm living in Sheffield at the moment... surely listening to Arctic Monkeys should be, like, compulsory?) I've been known to listen to Robbie Williams... and I was, like, addicted to Rammstein for a while. Oh, I was addicted to that album by the Delgados, "Hate", for a pretty long time, too. Incredible album. Oddly enough for a Western group, I was introduced to them by an anime as well... Gunslinger Girl, to be precise.

But yeah, I'm barely scratching the surface here, really. I guess the moral of the story is "I like lots of music"

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Gouki ZX's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I wanted to say that I think you're doing an excellent job with the translations and keep up the good work.
    Do you hope to see a new series from the mangaka of hitomi no catoblepas, a series I thought had a lot potential, as I really would love to see more of this mangaka as a I really like his art style.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What I would have liked to see was Hitomi not getting cancelled in the first place. As for another series by the manga-ka... well, I'd judge that if and when it actually came to pass. I'm not really that fussed one way or another.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

hey cnet. hmm, well im studying japanese....im learning verbs now......wow, they are so confusing...well, the rules for the verbs are confusing. is there a good way to learn how to use verbs properly? they seem easy....its just the rules about them is long and confusing :P
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, what exactly are you having problems with? No, perhaps more to the point, how exactly are you learning Japanese?

Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

well, i used to take japanese in middle school in Okinawa(but i moved) and i lost some of it, so im using online lessons to help me out. www.nihongoresources.com is the place, also some other sites like Tae Kim's site. anyway, the problem is the classifying of "一段動詞" and "五段動詞"....do i really need to know the rules or cant i just practice the verbs and use them in different tenses...?
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can't really say as I'm sure what you mean. The classifying of ichidan and godan verbs...? That suggests to me telling the difference between them, or something, but I don't really see how that would be much of an issue.

If you're just talking about learning how to conjugate verbs into different forms in general, then... well, obviously you have to learn how to conjugate them, or, well, you won't be able to conjugate them Learning each of the different forms one by one in a logical order, practising using them in sentences as you go along, is the usual method...

At any rate, if you are trying to teach the language to yourself, I'd say the least you should realistically do is get yourself a decent textbook. Many people will tell you - and I can certainly see where they're coming from - that even a textbook is never enough, and you can't really learn Japanese without actually taking proper lessons.

Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Da-yum, what an evil site. I mean, on the one hand, it's a brilliant site, because it actually seems to cover everything from the basics, giving long and interesting explanations of how things work, and not leaving anything out to simplify.

But on the other hand, it tries to throw all the grammatical information at you at once, without any real context to put it in, which makes it an absolute nightmare if you're actually trying to learn anything. Particularly the way it throws all the verb stems at you like that - yes, it's interesting to look at the verb stems as a whole entity like that if you're just kind of doing so out of interest, thinking about them in abstract linguistic terms and seeing how everything pieces together. No, it's not even slightly helpful if you're actually trying to learn to conjugate the verbs.

You do have to end up learning all the verb stems if you're trying to learn Japanese, but learning them all by rote like that would drive anybody insane. The general, more natural way to learn the stems is "as and when you need them". That is, you learn how to conjugate the verb into actual grammatical forms, slowly but surely, one at a time, practicing using each one in sentences and generally getting used to actually using them. And then once you've learned a fair few verb forms, you start to find that the forms you're conjugate in exactly the same way as ones you've already learned, only with different endings (they use the same stems) - so you can relate them back to the forms you know and they become easy to learn. Basically, what you're doing is learning the stems as a natural part of learning the forms that you're actually going to use. And learning forms that you're actually going to use is much easier than memorising abstract tables.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TodaPower's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey man, I appreciate you taking time to translate these raws for us.

Here's a question.... what do the letters in this pic say?
    I am debating on a tatto with this ... so I would like to know what it means.
    Thanks in advance..and do you ever read Initial D?
    Last edited by TodaPower; October 26, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: remove pic to save space

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaaaaaaahhhh...

DON'T STRETCH MY THREAD! *glares*

Anyway, those don't look much like Japanese characters to me, more like stylised English letters or something... heavily stylised...

New Reply
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast