Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: The cnet128 Thread

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The cnet128 Thread

So I was reading a manga that I didn't find here or it wasnt accessible using my phones internet service....I have a hard time reading it although I've made 700 pages in 2days or so because there are bubbles with no text names that change for ex. From guts to gutts to gatts to gutts to gatts and so on throughtout these 700 pages and phrases or sentences that are more a collection of words that make no coherent sense at all or an incomplete thought or in no way a possible reply to a previous statement by that same or other character (sorry so long) in your perfectionist opinion is this due to laziness, wanting to be 1st, or just a poor understanding of 1 or both languages?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner in1pieces's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

THANKS! woohoo Gantz gantz gantz .
    But can u translate a summary of the last page? ( http://mangahelpers.com/s/frikitzuki...0?t=1254466462) What's the 21/11/2012? Whose the guy?
    and Thanks again I'm really grateful

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cnet128's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nawni View Post
    So I was reading a manga that I didn't find here or it wasnt accessible using my phones internet service....I have a hard time reading it although I've made 700 pages in 2days or so because there are bubbles with no text names that change for ex. From guts to gutts to gatts to gutts to gatts and so on throughtout these 700 pages and phrases or sentences that are more a collection of words that make no coherent sense at all or an incomplete thought or in no way a possible reply to a previous statement by that same or other character (sorry so long) in your perfectionist opinion is this due to laziness, wanting to be 1st, or just a poor understanding of 1 or both languages?
    Well, changing a character's name that many times doesn't sound like something even the most amateur of translators would do >_< That sounds more like you're reading chapters translated by different people who have different opinions on how to render the name, which is fair enough, if a little annoying.

As for the sentences making no sense, well, I dunno. I've certainly seen translations that are genuinely horrible before, and I think it's generally an issue of the translator just being plain bad at English, though of course failing at Japanese doesn't exactly help either.

Quote Originally Posted by in1pieces View Post
    THANKS! woohoo Gantz gantz gantz .
    But can u translate a summary of the last page? ( http://mangahelpers.com/s/frikitzuki...0?t=1254466462) What's the 21/11/2012? Whose the guy?
    and Thanks again I'm really grateful
    Guy on the left is Hiroya Oku, guy on the right is Roland Emmerich. They're talking about Emmerich's new disaster movie, called "2012". 21st November is the date it comes out in Japan (the US release date is November 13th).
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Draco1988's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

etou, cnet-sama, Negima chapter 265 is out ^^
    (my sign for RAW if you ever need ^^)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite aware of that xd I've just been procrastinating a little too much.

Trans is up now~
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Draco1988's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that you know, since the RAW was right the same time with the Tsubasa, but I can't help waiting without doing anything ^^
    Thanks for the trans too ^^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey~ Hope you're doing well!

Also, could you please translate something for me?

Quote Quote:
    ●人気投票で印象に残るコメントランキング
    1位 XANXUS「失せろ」
    2位 骸「クフフフ面白くありませんね。次こそは僕が1位です!!」
    3位 スカル「覚えていてくれてうれしいぞ!こうゆう場でアピールしていかなくてはな!」

ざ…XANXUSすごいこと言ってる……ハガキ出してもらってるのに…(ツナ)
    それに比べてスカルはなんだか情けなくてセコいな(リボーン)
    黙れ!! オレは親しみやすいナイスガイなんだ!!(スカル)
    &

Quote Quote:
    あて先あて先あーて先はコチラ(グロのイラスト)

あて先あて先あ~て先!! みんな私の事を忘れてないな! それではせーの!(グロ)
    忘れたー(みんな)
    ヒッ! グロ?キシニア様だー!!(グロ

瓦利亚的基地1/2
    VARIAのあじと 1/2
    ●XANXUSの脳内メーカー

怒怒怒怒怒
    怒怒怒怒怒
    怒恨恨怒怒
    怒怒恨殺怒
    怒怒怒殺怒
    ★ ★ 悪悪

★=スクアーロいびり

う?お?ぉい!! 「スクアーロいびり」ってなんだぁ!!(スクアーロ)
    そこだけ字のおさまりが悪いわよね(ルッスーリア)
    そういう問題じゃねえだろぉ!!(スクアーロ)
    Thank you!

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Demon Rin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for cnet.

Are you the one giving Ivankov a German accent in the One Piece translations? Is it because of his speech quirk? ("Vai would like to help Vou rescue Vour brother Ace-Boy")

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    人気投票で印象に残るコメントランキング
    1位 XANXUS「失せろ」
    2位 骸「クフフフ面白くありませんね。次こそは僕が1位です!!」
    3位 スカル「覚えていてくれてうれしいぞ!こうゆう場でアピールしていかなくてはな!」

ざ…XANXUSすごいこと言ってる……ハガキ出してもらってるのに…(ツナ)
    それに比べてスカルはなんだか情けなくてセコいな(リボーン)
    黙れ!! オレは親しみやすいナイスガイなんだ!!(スカル)
    Memorable-comments-from-popularity-contests Ranking
    1. Xanxus: "Fuck off."
    2. Mukuro: "Ahahahah. How very not amusing. Next time I will be Number 1!"
    3. Skull: "Nice to see you remember me! I've gotta make sure I look good while I have the chance!"

"Wh... What does Xanxus think he's saying...?! Even though people were nice enough to vote for him..." (Tsuna)
    "And Skull's comment sounds kind of pathetic." (Reborn)
    "Shut up!! I'm just a nice guy who's easy to get on with!!" (Skull)

Quote Quote:
    あて先あて先あーて先はコチラ(グロのイラスト)

あて先あて先あ~て先!! みんな私の事を忘れてないな! それではせーの!(グロ)
    忘れたー(みんな)
    ヒッ! グロ?キシニア様だー!!(グロ

瓦利亚的基地1/2
    VARIAのあじと 1/2
    ●XANXUSの脳内メーカー

怒怒怒怒怒
    怒怒怒怒怒
    怒恨恨怒怒
    怒怒恨殺怒
    怒怒怒殺怒
    ★ ★ 悪悪

★=スクアーロいびり

う?お?ぉい!! 「スクアーロいびり」ってなんだぁ!!(スクアーロ)
    そこだけ字のおさまりが悪いわよね(ルッスーリア)
    そういう問題じゃねえだろぉ!!(スクアーロ)
    The address, the address, the addre~~ss is over here! (Gloxinia image)

The address, the address, the addre~ss!! You haven't forgotten about me, have you?! Let's hear it - one, two, three! (Glo)
    We've forgotten~! (everyone)
    Ahh! It's Glo...xinia-sama~!! (Glo

Varia Hideout 1/2
    - Xanxus' Brain Structure

Rage Rage Rage Rage Rage
    Rage Rage Rage Rage Rage
    Rage Bitterness Bitterness Rage Rage
    Rage Rage Bitterness Murder Rage
    Rage Rage Rage Murder Rage
    [star] [star] Evil Evil

* [star] = picking on Squalo

"Oo?oo?ooi!! The hell is this "picking on Squalo" crap?!!" (Squalo)
    "Yes, they didn't manage to fit it into the diagram very well..." (Lussuria)
    "That's not what I'm talking about!!" (Squalo)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin
    Question for cnet.

Are you the one giving Ivankov a German accent in the One Piece translations? Is it because of his speech quirk? ("Vai would like to help Vou rescue Vour brother Ace-Boy")
    I don't recall giving him/her a "German accent"... I've just been replacing w's at the beginning of words with v's. I certainly haven't done anything like in that quote >_< That looks kind of horrible >_<

And yes, it's because he/she has a highly unusual style of speech in Japanese that I couldn't hope to convey completely ><

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnet128 View Post
    I don't recall giving him/her a "German accent"... I've just been replacing w's at the beginning of words with v's. I certainly haven't done anything like in that quote >_< That looks kind of horrible >_<

And yes, it's because he/she has a highly unusual style of speech in Japanese that I couldn't hope to convey completely ><
    Replacing Ws with Vs IS A German accent.
    And now because of this, most Scanlation groups have him talk like this now:
    "Vhat es Zis? Kuma Es Different Somehow From Ze Kuma I know! Eet is annoying how I Vant to see Ze Kuma I..." blah blah blah (Not a Direct Quote, just showing how People are going WAY overboard with this.)

Iva doesn't have to terribly a Funny way of speaking, he just adds Vs to the beginning of Personal pronouns.
    "Vai" instead of "I", "Vou" instead of "You" just like how in Japanese he uses "Vatashi" instead of Watashi and "Vanata" instead of "Anata".
    It may look goofy, but that's how it looks in Japanese.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's certainly not true that adding v's to the beginning of personal pronouns is the only unique thing about Iva's speech in Japanese. For one thing, s/he lengthens the vowels in those pronouns as well. (It's "Vata~shi", not just "Vatashi". Gives a whole different feel to the word.) For another, s/he has a very effeminate, eccentric style of speech in general. And of course there's also the ubiquitous ~ble endings that s/he inserts everywhere. All of this adds up to give Iva's speech a highly distinctive style that doesn't translate to English in the slightest.

The "v" quirk is just my quick-and-dirty way of getting across some of the feel of it - an eccentric, affected, overblown, foreign-esque style of speech. Obviously it's not the same, but it's simple enough to apply, and better than nothing. I really can't be bothered to do anything more in-depth. Changing "I" and "you" to "vai" and "vou" in English would just look patently ridiculous, and wouldn't, IMO, do anything to convey the actual feel of Iva's speech. And it's none of my business if other translators have decided to take it to unhealthy extremes; you can take that up with them.
    Last edited by cnet128; October 11, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just asking if you could weigh in on that. Asking what your thoughts are on the situation since you started it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner angelitoseriv's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cnet128 are you interested in Tales of Hearts for the Nintendo DS? if you are would you like to help a fellow with his translation of it? I sent you a PM but i don't know if you read it or not, and i was told that you might be interested since you are a "Tales Freak". Since you are endleslly bored if you want to take on this challenge let me know, or maybe it might be too much for you to handle bwahahaha j/k

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

That signature is incredibly old, and not even close to being accurate any more - to be honest, I'm more "eternally overworked" than "eternally bored" these days.

I did get your PM, yes, and to be honest, I'm hugely tempted by the idea of translating ToH - I adored the game when I played it - but I really don't think I can take you up on the offer. For one thing, it would obviously be a huge task, and I don't know if I'd be up to it. But perhaps more importantly, when I work on a translation, I like to have full control of every aspect of it, and sharing a project like this with another translator just wouldn't sit right with me. Since you already have another translator working on the game, that's really the deal-breaker for me. Sorry.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member v3g374's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, cnet! Silly question: You like or ever liked dragonball?

New Reply
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast