Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Volume 33 (Chapters 287-296) Discussion

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member shego's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berserk 288 Discussion

This whole thing is now obviously taking place around 900 AD when Europe responded to the Jihad with The Crusades. And I think it's safe to say pirates were around back then, they didn't need America to get discovered just to get started. France once made the failed Children's Crusade and pirates did indeed made a mint out of that. However, it doesn't mean it has to be historically accurate b/c maybe this is just another fictional RPG / animu world and not ours. It just follows closely our world ( which is one of the reasons this series is so incredible ).

As for cannons against pistols, I don't want to bother to check but maybe pistols were a very refined use of gun powder and before then it's been always used for cannons, so cannons simply came first. Gutts' hand is simply fiction, no different than Ash's from Evil Dead ( which is another reason this series is incredible! ).

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

If i remember correctly the first true gun was not made for a while after the discovery of gunpounder. Then again anything is possible in this manga. Good stuff.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

the historical period is the european middle ages(actually, i would say more precisely around 900-1100 AD...), but the place in which the story take place is created by miura...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Hiruma Disciple's Avatar
    Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha looks like i have to check my history books on this matter but again thanks guys for the info.. but again, why pirates? why cannons? berserk is in which timeline? I dont want it to end up like naruto where they have mobile technology and other modern stuff yet no cars, no guns e,g. machine guns and stuff... its not right
    Anyway berserk is great so i'l keep reading it until it gets too crazy hehe
    Yahaa!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

i imagine that there WAS cannons at this period, hes just altered this a bit to suit his needs. Pirates were common during that period, they were looked down on by nobles so it makes sense.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gphjr14's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

they had cannons b4 then its just europe hadn't seen them yet. china had rockets back when europe was experimenting with pressurized projectile. europe just further experimented with and eventually came up with the rifle

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member White Rabbit's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

miura once clearly stated in an interview that berserk isn't tied to a special period of time in real history... he combines influences from different sources that may not match together in real history but help him to create a certain atmosphere or story-twist.
    when did anyone say that berserk should be historically accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by LordKnight View Post
    To White Rabbit: Could you give me the reference for that please, volume and chapter would be good enough.
    the pirate captain first appeared in episode 247 that was released in october 2004. (vol.29: bloodshed)
    Last edited by White Rabbit; August 25, 2007 at 07:21 PM.
    Music of rebellion makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires who're nearly twice your age

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

isn't gutz kind of modeled after Götz von Berlichingen who also had a prosthetic arm? but i think thats the only similarity, then again the name does sound similar

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member White Rabbit's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

no... miura said in an interview that he read about götz von berlichngen after berserk had already started and that he was surprised himself by this coincidental similarity. he came up with the name guts becuse he felt that it sounded hard and kinda german.
    he also said that he based guts' general look on rudger hauer and his body on evander holyfield.
    Music of rebellion makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires who're nearly twice your age

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    no... miura said in an interview that he read about götz von berlichngen after berserk had already started and that he was surprised himself by this coincidental similarity. he came up with the name guts becuse he felt that it sounded hard and kinda german.
    he also said that he based guts' general look on rudger hauer and his body on evander holyfield.
    Yeah he's right. Although, despite what Miura has said in many interviews about it being a coincidence, I find it hard to believe. The name, the iron arm, and the fact that götz von berlichngen lwas a soldier of fortune. I'm not buying it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

if it wasn't for the fact that they both fought for money and had similar names, i'd be more inclined to say it was a coincidence. but with so many similarities i doubt it. however i don't doubt miura said it was a coincidence during interviews

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jack Van Burace's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyways, more 12 days before next release. I'm guessing this new team will continue to improve, and Roderick will also join the staff. Even if he can't fare so well in the land, it's a common thing in RPGs that the main group find a new way of transportation in the future. And going around the world in a ship would fit well for the adventure to go on (weeks of walking on foot from town to town would really kill Guts within a year, having to bear all that new equipment and all).

Isidro doesn't fare well in combat either, but he's a fixed member of the staff. And cap. Azan will also get back to an important role, perhaps releasing Serpico from the burden of watching the girls, or helping Isidro to play a meaningfull role in battles. I could even see Caska recovering her old battle skills when she recovers her "heart" with the elf-king. That would be awesome.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berserk 289 Predictions & Spoilers

Roderick seems to be having an easy victory against the three boats. I suppose it will remain that way, as a show of power from Roderick, to make a further, really dangerous event, look much worse. Without this passage it would seem like Roderick runs an average crew, or that everything goes around Guts (which is actually true...) and only Guts. It's good to know they're in a good boat, and were lucky.

Just now that Guts is in a bad shape, he really needs his "family". And in the sea he has shown to be a disgrace, who will sink like a rock, not only from his gear, but from his prosthetic hand as well. He's in his worse shape, in his worse environment. I believe we'll see the other's share of heroism this time, and Farnese will definitely not trade Serpico.

She may be charmed by Roderick's attention, but she loves Serpico. Guts is only diverting Farnese's attention, but she'll soon find out she loves him. And Roderick will be just another fool caught by Farnese's charm, showing after all that she can be really more than useful. But she doesn't see she's behaving exactly like Caska in relation to Guts, when it comes to Serpico. How can she be so revolted when she does the same? And Caska has the retardment excuse.

So perhaps Serpico will have a chance to do some corageous deed, to save Farnese, and she will find see her behaviour towards him is like Caska's towards Guts. It has to be the meaning of this so easily winnable battle. Perhaps some old enemy is using the pirates as a divertion?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member marte1980's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Van Burace View Post
    Roderick seems to be having an easy victory against the three boats. I suppose it will remain that way, as a show of power from Roderick, to make a further, really dangerous event, look much worse. Without this passage it would seem like Roderick runs an average crew, or that everything goes around Guts (which is actually true...) and only Guts. It's good to know they're in a good boat, and were lucky.

Just now that Guts is in a bad shape, he really needs his "family". And in the sea he has shown to be a disgrace, who will sink like a rock, not only from his gear, but from his prosthetic hand as well. He's in his worse shape, in his worse environment. I believe we'll see the other's share of heroism this time, and Farnese will definitely not trade Serpico.

She may be charmed by Roderick's attention, but she loves Serpico. Guts is only diverting Farnese's attention, but she'll soon find out she loves him. And Roderick will be just another fool caught by Farnese's charm, showing after all that she can be really more than useful. But she doesn't see she's behaving exactly like Caska in relation to Guts, when it comes to Serpico. How can she be so revolted when she does the same? And Caska has the retardment excuse.

So perhaps Serpico will have a chance to do some corageous deed, to save Farnese, and she will find see her behaviour towards him is like Caska's towards Guts. It has to be the meaning of this so easily winnable battle. Perhaps some old enemy is using the pirates as a divertion?
    I don't think it's that simple the story about Farnese and Serpico.After all she's Serpico's step sister.
    Anyway I hope this manga is not starting to really talk about these girly things.Lately it all seems too much like a fairy tale.I want more blood and erotic sick stuff,like the old days.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

There will be blood. The Skull knight predicted all of Guts steps so far, meaning Guts ain't doing anything different from what the knight did before. And it seems to me that Guts has more to loose now than he did in the first eclipse. So, if the skull knight ended up like that, even though his steps were no different from Guts', I can foresee bad things happening to Guts in the future.

But also, I like very much this new feeling of the series. It seems like they're putting up 2 rival "Bands of the Hawk", one with the Dark-swordsman, the other with the Hawk of light. If you link Serpico and the "Blind-archer", Guts and Belgrand, Skull knight and Zodd, Schierk and Sonja, Isidro and Mule, it seems like there will be a match between these two in the future. I just don't know who could Farnese, Caska, Azan (and I believe he'll definitively be on the group, ever since past times) and Roderick rival with. Anyway, might just be my imagination. ;-)

Thread Closed
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast