Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eureka 7

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Eureka 7

Eureka Seven, Neon Genesis Evangelion for a new generation
    A rant by kiddo7

Once again I have come to a point in life where I cannot keep my thoughts to myself. And once again I turn to the written word as an outlet for, and an aid in organizing my thoughts. This time however a few things have changed;
    1. I have actually completed the anime before starting this... "opinion thread" (I don't want to call it a review)
    2. I have already spent two days planning this post so my writing should not be nearly as confusing this time around (here's to hoping)
    3. The topic is less controversial, and this time I actually know what my opinion on it is.
    Once again, however, there will most likely (pronounced: definitely) be a whole lot of spoilers rangingfrom trivial and inconsequential to "OMG why did she say that now I have no more reason to finish watching the show."

By the way if you are reading this and you have not yet watched or at the very least started watching the show then you should kick yourself in the tush until you finally decide to do yourself the favor of watching this amazing anime! Yes, it's that good! At least that is how I feel about it.

Ok, what was I about to say??? (as you can see I am still prone to digress. )
    Spoilers right, I will try to be considerate though, I shall create a table of contents where each item on the list is a spoiler tag hiding that section of my spiel (how this will help you avoid spoilers I am not entirely sure, but it sounded like a genius Idea at the time). This way you can read the parts that you want to without reading the parts that will most likely spoil you. On that note I am still rather long winded so I might not finish this today.

Alright so let us get on with it...
    //Creating T.O.C.//
    ... ... ...
    ... ...

Table of Contents
    • Spoiler: "Opinion" on anime as a whole (sorta like a review). I also explain the title of this thread...
      little to no spoilers show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Renton (Ikari Shinji)...
      yeah, you should expect spoilers in this one show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Eureka (Ayanami Rei)...
      major spoilers here too show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Jichan (Axel Thurston) show

• Spoiler: Opinion on The Nirvash typeZERO show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Holland show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Talho show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Maurice, Maeter & Linck show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Hap, Mathew and Stoner show

• Spoiler: Opinion on the rest of Gekko state show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Ray & Charles show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Anemone & Dominic show

• Spoiler: Opinion on Dewy Novak show

• Spoiler: Opinion on anyone or anything else that comes to mind show

Finally, just like last time, I probably do not expect an overwhelming response from this thread, but aside from finding an outlet for my thoughts I write this mainly so that it will be read by others. Like the scab coral I wish to communicate with others that have, like me, seen and enjoyed Eureka and the gang and maybe have their own opinions bottled up inside. The main purpose of this thread is just to be read, but getting responses is the only way I can tell how the webberneters received my words. Alternatively I can check the view count but that will increase even if you give up reading halfway through the intro so that is not too accurate a measure of how many people I have struck a chord with.
    I simple layman's terms:
    if you enjoyed this thread, agree with what I posted, disagree with what I posted or have something to say that i did not touch on, please reply,
    it will make me so happy!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by kiddo7; July 08, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eureka 7, Neon Genesis Evangelion for a new generation. (a rant)

...Are you joking?...Eureka Seven is one of the most emo, self-indulgent, un-original animes in the past decade. Many of its plot points are taken right out of Mobile Suit Gundam (1979), not even as a tribute but in a manner that screams "rip-off!"

And the last five episodes were bullshit.

And the moon...THEY SHOOT A FUCKING HEART BEAM INTO THE MOON! Carving in their names in kanji! What the hell is that?!

I will give Eureka Seven credit for its style and certain humorous moments but other than that, its one of the worst animes in years.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

No I am not joking, and now you see why I wanted to call this a rant or an opinion tread rather than a review.
    I watched the show and it made a deep impression on me, so much so, that I wanted to write about it. I guessed that there would be people out there that would not enjoy it.(I just thought they would ignore my thread entirely after reading the tittle)

@un-original
    I have not seen most of the gundam series (about 1/3 of gundam wing and maybe 2 episodes of gundam seed) therefor it all seemed very fresh to me. Now, I love too many things about it to go back and ruin it for myself by watching a show that it supposedly ripped off. I would rather remain in blissful ignorance and enjoy what I think is a good thing. I hope one day you will forgive me for this.

@self-indulgent
    ...huh?

@emo
    Well, on the one hand that would further support one of my claims in that this show resembles NGE which is a standard for emo animes (once again this is only my opinion).
    On the other hand, I once again find myself disagreeing with you. While both renton and eureka go through their respective bouts of depression, this depression does not define them. Renton remains your typical motivated, hyperactive fourteen year old, that we encountered at the beginning. And eureka is continually evolving, trying to understand humans and their way of life. (which can be a very confusing thing to do, as the anime so clearly demonstrates) Also, both of them had very good reasons for displaying these strong emotions.
    Showing sadness, confusion and despair does not automatically make someone emo, rather it makes you human. Now, if a person were to constantly exhibit this kind of behavior or just do it out of boredom, (in other words, their characters are defined by these gloomy emotions) then and only then do I consider her/him worthy of the title emo.

@last fivve episodes
    what didn't you like? I thought it was a great way to end.

@heart beam/moon
    Did you notice that this is a cartoon show made for kids in japan? Usually known, and generally recognized as an ANIME!!! After watching a few of these you will notice that the Japanese sorta have a thing for what they like to call: "kawai" (most often translated as cute). Also you can think of it as symbolism, sorta like a throwback to the book eureka and sakuya where drawing hearts in (and what that meant for them). Sometimes when you are watching (or even reading) fiction it helps to suspend disbelief just a little and give the authors a break sometimes. Not everything has to be taken literally.

Once again this is all my opinion and I understand that you have a right to hold your own. I will no longer try to change your mind, and hope that my answers have not offended you. That was not my intention, in anyway.

Thank you for replying to my thread.
    Last edited by kiddo7; July 03, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you had seen the orginal gundam shows, youd see what lackluster creativity there is behind this project.

Very self-indulgent. The show dragged and continued to drag. It couldve been 26 or even 39 episodes but they just HAD to stretch it out to 50 because it was that typical emo shit that every teen loves when theyre fucking 15.

I understood certain parts where it needed to be emotional but I dont need Renton crying over simple bullshit about Eureka that could easily be solved. No, they want the oscar-worthy drama moments so they make him cry and swear oathes of protection or break down every damn episode during the show's 2nd half. EVA was emo but it did it well, the moments were here and there, not all over the place like Eureka Seven.

Because it was pulled entirely out of the writer's asses. They build up the evil federation forces so much and have this supposed brilliant, sadistic leader only to have a lack luster and utterly lame and rushed ending.

And with reference to my previous paragraph, I know what anime is (in terms of being for kids) but some animes have the balls to kill their characters in situations that you knew they would die in. ES has this entire apocalyptical crisis and the only person to go down is captain's brother/leader of the evil fed forces. Its stupid, and its unrealistic in terms of storytelling. If youre going to do a "kawai" anime, dont try to take yourself seriously with this apocalypse-like fate of the planets unless you do the entire anime like that. Its what made shows like Naruto suck horribly, by kissing ass to the 10-under kids and then out of the blue trying to be hardcore. Eureka Seven wishes it had the balls to be hardcore. And any sane person, no matter what thematic value or symbolism it may contain, would recognize the heart beam into the moon thing as the most ridiculous idea or even prepostorous romantic act ever to be committed to storytelling.

My main beef is that horrible shows like this that are praised with top marks while the classics they rip off of are mentioned nowhere near as much (like how people worshipped Gundam Wing, the crappiest show of the Gundam franchise, and ignored the rest of the shows). Stupidity like that pisses me off. Especially since hacks like the creators of Eureka Seven continue to be popular.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I understand what you are trying to say. And on some level, I have to agree with you.
    I have no counter.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member _ATMA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ok E7 was a good anime i will admit but after about ep 12 or so it turned from an action series into a hard core drama. i think ur looking far too deep into the series compairing it eva one of the best series of all time
    If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, does that make Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

But that is just it,
    I know it is not eva and it cannot be ranked in the same group with it.
    What I am saying is that this anime could be, to those that did not see or appreciate eva, what eva was/is to those of us that did see/love it. it is an entirely different animal while at the same time it carries some of the spirit behind eva. And that can clearly be felt while watching e7.
    That is what I felt anyway.

By the way, thanks for reminding me, I still have to complete this thread.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shrimpy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eureka 7

This series was a fantastic series, although not a flawless one.
    The voice acting and music rock. The animation is top notch in the beginning and at the end, although for some odd reason the 3rd opening looks like a 3-year old drew it. But I digress.

The story throws a lot of concurrent storylines at the viewer at once, and reveals things, for the most part, gradually. I agree that the drama was very much dragged out. But if you really step back and look at the series, you'll see that it's not so much focusing on action or even renton/eureka, so much as trying to tell the story of everyone's lives. I really respect not only how much renton changes in the series, but how the image of his heroes is shattered and all of them have to come to terms with growing up. It's a very family oriented type of thing here...kind of what made pixar's "The Incredibles" so renown (juxtaposed superpower action over the difficulties of raising a family).

In this respect it angered a lot of people who only care about action and suspense. If you watch this anime as a drama, or you're just willing for a change from all the typical mech shows, it's quite satisfying IMO.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm after I finished this series I thought it was great and unique, and then I remembered seeing Gundam X which was a way to simliar in terms of the main characters as Eureka&Renton romance almost seems ripped from Garrod&Tifa. Both series even have a "wear makeup to impress boy" scene haha

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone is wondering, I have not totally forgotten about this thread. I actually do intend to finish writing it. It is just that I had recently did and am still settling into an intercontinental move. I will get back on track when things settle down a bit.

edit: I really ought to finish this some day
    Last edited by kiddo7; November 28, 2007 at 04:11 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ITACHIWIFE's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i love this show too . the show has a good ending
    Sasuke: "COSMIC LOVE (thousand evangelists), Penlight attack (light impact)"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its probably my favorite anime. the music, the art, the atmosphere, the style, and so emotionally gripping.

dont really like the way you tried to compare it to eva so much, but im with you in saying it was amazing i'll always remember it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame it's over.

It was the best anime I have ever seen and it will always be the best [imo].

I have a hard time letting good shows like this end and having to find something else but I really did wish it could be continued, but Bones isn't garbage and wouldn't let his work become crap and he won't ruin it by creating streaming pile's of crap to keep us happy. I can't really blame him since I'd be in the same boat had I been in his shoes.

PS: I have heard rumors of a 2nd season and/or movie but I can't find any factual evidence, was wondering if anyone here could settle it once and for all.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gdupninja's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A great anime with one of the best endings. I didn't watch all the episodes including the beginning but i saw the last 30 and I loved it. Definitly time well spent. Even the American voices are great. One of my favorites in like the last 3 years

Made by master sig maker GrayFoxx and the render maker iThePirate
    Help us grow! http://mangaseed.com/

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning spoiler ridden post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodkingx99 View Post
    If you had seen the orginal gundam shows, youd see what lackluster creativity there is behind this project.
    Eureka seven wasn't about a war between the earth and the colonies. Besides giant robots and the fact that it is a coming of age story there aren't many similarities at all.

Very self-indulgent.
    First thing:
    self-in·dul·gent Pronunciation[self-in-duhl-juhnt, self-]
    –adjective
    1. indulging one's own desires, passions, whims, etc., esp. without restraint.
    2. characterized by such indulgence.
    Learn to english.

The show dragged and continued to drag. It couldve been 26 or even 39 episodes but they just HAD to stretch it out to 50
    The show had a pretty good pacing. Every episode served to develop character and move the main story along. If you re-watch the series you are also rewarded with foreshadowing and little details that have to do with the true story during the seemingly filler beginning.

because it was that typical emo shit that every teen loves when theyre fucking 15.
    *Facepalms* Emo is thrown around way too much these days especially by people who don't know how to use it in a derogatory way. No that isn't the way you use the term emo. The way you write you appear to be 15 btw.

I understood certain parts where it needed to be emotional but I dont need Renton crying over simple bullshit about Eureka that could easily be solved. No, they want the oscar-worthy drama moments so they make him cry and swear oathes of protection or break down every damn episode during the show's 2nd half. EVA was emo but it did it well, the moments were here and there, not all over the place like Eureka Seven.
    When the hell did Renton cry for without reason or because eureka did something? The only time he cried was when he mourned someone or actually had reasons to be sad.

In the case of the oaths, those are just melodramatic anime staples.

There was also certainly a large amount of teenage angst in the series but when you consider the fact that the protagonist was 15 years old and that E7 is a coming of age story it isn't very surprising at all that there is angst. The angst is done in a way that the protagonist isn't annoying as hell and it is properly utilized in the story.

Because it was pulled entirely out of the writer's asses. They build up the evil federation forces so much and have this supposed brilliant, sadistic leader only to have a lack luster and utterly lame and rushed ending.
    It wasn't rushed at all. The entire series actually built up to the conflict at the end of the series even though we didn't notice all the little hints until they became obvious. The ending also managed to completely wrap up the series well.

And with reference to my previous paragraph, I know what anime is (in terms of being for kids) but some animes have the balls to kill their characters in situations that you knew they would die in. ES has this entire apocalyptical crisis and the only person to go down is captain's brother/leader of the evil fed forces. Its stupid, and its unrealistic in terms of storytelling.
    I have no idea what the hell you are trying to say here.

If you are commenting on the fact that Dewy was the only military member to to die you must have missed all the ships and KLFs that got destroyed by corralians in the episodes concluding the series.

If this is a commentary on the fact that the story had a happy ending where all the heroes survive then I have to LOL at the fact that you are complaining about the series being "emo" and then complaining that the series doesn't have a dark ending where the heroes die.

If youre going to do a "kawai" anime, dont try to take yourself seriously with this apocalypse-like fate of the planets unless you do the entire anime like that. Its what made shows like Naruto suck horribly, by kissing ass to the 10-under kids and then out of the blue trying to be hardcore. Eureka Seven wishes it had the balls to be hardcore.
    Naruto never tries to be hardcore anywhere and E7 continues to keep the same tone episode 9 and up.
    Also no one here is using the work kawai. Who the hell are you quoting?

And any sane person, no matter what thematic value or symbolism it may contain, would recognize the heart beam into the moon thing as the most ridiculous idea or even prepostorous romantic act ever to be committed to storytelling.
    While I would say that the moon graffiti was cheesy as hell, it couldn't be considered preposterous given all the other crazy crap that occurred in the series. The entire series was unrealistic and "preposterous".

A limit of life makes no damn sense; alien thoughts can't be ridden like waves; you can't travel to another dimension with your corrollean gods; you cannot put a deus ex machina lever in the giant robot; giant robots don't grow out of the living ground; and I could go on but the point is that carving a name into the moon is just as "preposterous" everything else in the series especially given the fact that the niervash was essentially a god by that point. It may be cheesy but it is no less believable than anything else in the series.

My main beef is that horrible shows like this that are praised with top marks while the classics they rip off of are mentioned nowhere near as much (like how people worshipped Gundam Wing, the crappiest show of the Gundam franchise, and ignored the rest of the shows). Stupidity like that pisses me off. Especially since hacks like the creators of Eureka Seven continue to be popular.
    This is a valid complaint except for the part where gundam has a huge fanbase and eureka seven isn't a rip off gundam.

Based on the date of the post and the number of posts he has this was most likely in vain but I couldn't have such lies in this topic go unargued.
    Last edited by jv2k; December 19, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast