Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Star

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shrimpy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucky Star

I tried to search to see if there was any topics about this anime but didn't find it. If I missed any let me know.

Anyway, as my topic says, I'm really puzzled why there's a huge buzz in the anime community over this title. Why is it so popular? Is it really worth my time?
    I actually tried to watch one episode but I didn't understand it at all. Yeah, okay, good japanese practice but the gags are so fast and the references obscure(?) (or only for otaku?) that i don't get it.

If anyone could explain it to me it would put my mind at ease.
    Thanks in advance.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member _ATMA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the big deal about "Lucky Star"?

ah yes lucky star is quiet a good anime, it fallows a group of high school girls through high school and a bit after high school, it has many refrenceses such as the "Timotei" in the public bath (timote was a brand of all natural shampoo and hair care products if i remember right), to me its very similar to Azumanga daoh. its kinda difficult of an anime to explain but its very worth it and if you dont get most of the refrences u can use wikipedia and google to find most of them easily
    If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, does that make Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aladar's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

My bet is that moeness factor is what caused all the boom in anime community.. I mean, it's not THAT bad anime, but I dont think it deserves all the attention it gets.

and yeah, first ep is pretty weak
    Tell me you've been bad. Nice and clear.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the first half of the first episode is like "what the fuck..." but after u get past it, it is a really good anime. also i think another reason is the absolutely cute girls and personalities of the series and konata's truly classic otaku life style, the random stuff things and people that apear through the series and the refrences to other animes like initial D, code geass, and the constant refrences to the melancholy of haruhei suzuka.

i apologize about my last post i was in a completely dazed state almost none of my post made any sense lol

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

do you know if the whole season is done? if so then i guess i can find them in batch

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

no the series has started this seasons and i believe there will be 20-26 eps

Eroge Danchou MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Xophien's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

24 episodes scheduled, with 15 released so far, and the 15th being yet another masterpiece

So far, definitely my favorite anime of the year, and most probably my favorite anime of all times

Art by 双瀬 聖

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lucky Star

I don't know... I don't like this anime...

The only good part for me is the Lucky Channel part... I do remember one time that I fell asleep at episode 4, after that, I dropped the anime.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

what is ep 15 about?

ps sorry to the mod who had to move the thread, looks like i didn't post in the right forum -_-

Eroge Danchou MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Xophien's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpy View Post
    what is ep 15 about?
    Lots of things as usual, but the first couple of minutes were about Konata and the others going to the extremely great Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou concert~

And there was this nice KonataxKagami moment at this point, kyaaa~

Art by 双瀬 聖

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner urdtakako's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, i loved this animation alot =] The interesting parts are the characteristics of Otaku Konata-chan (she reminds me of the time when i was a gamer myself XD) and the hard-working but shy Kagami-chan (especially when it is about her own 'style') ^^;

“麦わらの一味”よ 立ち向かえ!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    ah yes lucky star is quiet a good anime, it fallows a group of high school girls through high school and a bit after high school, it has many refrenceses such as the "Timotei" in the public bath (timote was a brand of all natural shampoo and hair care products if i remember right), to me its very similar to Azumanga daoh. its kinda difficult of an anime to explain but its very worth it and if you dont get most of the refrences u can use wikipedia and google to find most of them easily
    If I have to use wikipedia to understand the Japanese references (for jokes), its not worth my time. Its not like im going to laugh after I find out what the joke was about, its gotta be something I can understand.

Its not that I dont understand most of the jokes in this anime, its just that I dont find them funny. They obsess over ridiculous things, and make them monotonous to the point of boredom. This anime is definitely boring, I dont want to watch 4 girls sit around and talk about the same thing for 10 minutes straight.

This show is unique, but when you go with a unique approach, you sometimes make a poor choice. This is the case with this anime. Some of it is creative, but to me it just looks like a low budget show.

The reason why it is popular is because the same people made Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Since that anime was very popular, all of their fans would definitely watch (and want to like) anything else these same people put out. Kinda like a popular band (Metallica ) who releases a completely crappy album that no one would listen to, but because they are a renowned band, the album goes gold.

I would not consider myself a fan of the show, but it is definitely a love it or hate it type show. Everytime I give it a chance it proves not to deliver. Since it is episodic, it seems to have no hope of getting anywhere. Episodic anime are supposed to provide satisfaction in each episode.

Despite me not liking it, this anime has it's moments. If they focused more on Konota's anime and game otaku-ness, it would be a lot funnier. These moments are rare and short-lived, when they should be more prevalent. I really dont care about how to eat certain types of food, or some boring random slice of life situation. The majority of the show is filler, and the slice of life situations would bore the hell out of me in real life.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member PROXL's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do after Lucky Star ends

Hi!
    Here we are going to talk about Lucky Star and What we are going to do after this one end this week...
    Well I Know is sad but It have to happen some day
    Last edited by PROXL; September 15, 2007 at 08:46 PM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity rykarreolacr's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do after Lucky Star ends

The real question should be: is there even a life after the end of Lucky Star. Can the absence of Konata be called living???!!!!

I guess the only thing we CAN do is waiting for the PS2 game, which we probably won't be able to play due to language barrier... We will also wait for the remaining soundtracks and then... and then.... wait for the second season of Suzumiya Haruhi...
    Kitty Got Wet

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member PROXL's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do after Lucky Star ends

yeah...awful life whit out konata's way of see things It will be painful months until the second season of Suzumiya...don't you think?
    But probably We can enjoy the possibility of great game for PS2 even if it's on Japanese

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast