Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: English Homework help thread ?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Jothesh2's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

English Homework help thread ?

*Hijacks thread*

Post here if you have any English homework related questions!

~Icei

Listen I always like to get on MangaHelpers, but every time I do so I always forget about my homework, so why not stay on MH and also do my homework.

I noticed a lot of people have high standards of English, so I ask someone to please tell me what kind of rhetorical device this might be?

"Our lives no longer belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately."
    Last edited by Iceiphoenix; August 12, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
    Want to get in shape, follow my blog fitecon.com

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asusp3v4x's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Homework help thread ?

Antithesis

establishes a clear, contrasting relationship between two ideas by joining them together or juxtaposing them, often in parallel structure. Human beings are inveterate systematizers and categorizers, so the mind has a natural love for antithesis, which creates a definite and systematic relationship between ideas:

Our lives no longer belong to us alone = first idea

they belong to all those who need us desperately = second idea

juxtaposing those two ideas they create a idea of confrontation...

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Syphilias's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Homework help thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jothesh2 View Post

I noticed a lot of people have high standards of English, so I ask someone to please tell me what kind of rhetorical device this might be?

"Our lives no longer belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately."
    I see it as one of those "it's something that has and always will be" statements. It is stating with the left of semicolon that something is changing, that what will be in the time to come is something that is not already existing will show itself to "us," whoever that may be. We of course assume that "lives" are what we know as the phenomenon of "living." That this is not some other kind of life. What do you mean by life? If you mean our interactions with other people, then you may as well be saying "social lives," which are not connected with our actual "being alive" state.

The right of semicolon follows with a statement of who in fact "our lives" belong to after "something."

I find it funny how it states that "our lives NO LONGER belong to us," when there is no statement of what event could trigger this change...

I seem to be rambling. Please stop me if I am!

New Reply