Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Sket Dance by Shinohara Kenta

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sket Dance by Shinohara Kenta

Spoiler: very big spoiler show
    Last edited by k-dom; June 21, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings toward this arc. Maybe it was praised so much that I expected too much myself. I enjoyed the little details about the club creation but it didn't touch me as much as the previous serious arcs.

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I view it as a continuation of the Switch arc. Like the Unbirthday part 2 arc, it isn't soul-shatteringly sad. The damage was done in the first part. This is about Switch's recovery. Things had to hit rock-bottom before he moved on. He had to be caught on his misdeeds, dragged out and get out all that rage he bottled up since his brother's death.

I like this arc because it shows the nature of online bullying very well. It is easy to stand up to someone "innocent" being bullied, but what about someone who is not innocent? Would you stand up for someone being bullied if they did deserve it? I don't think many people would.

Ironically, Sket Dance depicted the cycle of hatred far better than Naruto ever could, because we aren't ninjas with superpowers, we're people.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    I view it as a continuation of the Switch arc. Like the Unbirthday part 2 arc, it isn't soul-shatteringly sad. The damage was done in the first part. This is about Switch's recovery. Things had to hit rock-bottom before he moved on. He had to be caught on his misdeeds, dragged out and get out all that rage he bottled up since his brother's death.

I like this arc because it shows the nature of online bullying very well. It is easy to stand up to someone "innocent" being bullied, but what about someone who is not innocent? Would you stand up for someone being bullied if they did deserve it? I don't think many people would.

Ironically, Sket Dance depicted the cycle of hatred far better than Naruto ever could, because we aren't ninjas with superpowers, we're people.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the reason who I'm liking this arc.
    Swith is a character that I liked from the beginning and seeing his past made this arc for me an epic win.

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the arc was everything I hoped for. A very realistic approach on how to face self-hate and guilt. Talk alone can't solve the trauma Switch suffered. Bossun forced his message through and made Switch realize that there are people who deeply care for him. That obviously won't solve everything either but it made Switch take the first step to rid him of his guilt. The outcome was pretedermined but it was great to see that Shinohara put focus on the fact that Usui is far from being healed yet but rather begins to face reality and fights his own self-hatred.

The only thing which felt a bit forced was his father suddenly being attacked and the three working together but that's only a small complaint to an otherwise great arc.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this is the kind of Sket Dance chapter I like the most. Perfect way to end a volume !

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the chapter too! It was a nice way to balance the emotionally heavy Switch On arc. I enjoyed seeing how all the wacky clubs were formed, and what the other characters were doing a year before the main storyline.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I just finished the Sket Dance anime, and I loved it (started when it first came out, but took a break after the 40's). I know Sket Dance is officially finished in japan, but they haven't scanlated all the chapters yet right? Also how slowly do you think the next couple of chapters will take to get put up, can we expect anything soon. I hope they finish it...

P.S. was it hard to switch from the anime to the manga for some, because I tried and its drastically different because Im used to most of the comedy being animated and hearing the sounds.

Also I know I might be dreaming but do you think the anime will get a 2nd season.
    Last edited by leiatte; August 18, 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member andysislands's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leiatte View Post
    I know Sket Dance is officially finished in japan, but they haven't scanlated all the chapters yet right? Also how slowly do you think the next couple of chapters will take to get put up, can we expect anything soon. I hoe they finish it...

Also I know I might be dreaming but do you think the anime will get a 2nd season.
    Trinity BAKumA, tends to release Sket Dance chapters in batches. So you may get like 2-3 chapters at once. If you average it out, it's about a new chapter every week. They just finished up volume 28, so they are working on volume 29 (out of 32) now. Sket Dance is one of the more verbose mangas in Jump... so... don't expect the releases much faster than what's currently coming out.

And yes, there is a chance the anime will get a second season. Once the manga goes into reprint (through kanzenban, or Jump Remix) that's the best time to air some more Sket Dance. For a Remix re-release, it could be as early as sometime next year. For kanzenban, they tend to hold out a little longer. Outside of the "sell more manga route" they could air some more Sket Dance as preparation for an anime following it's timeslot. So if there was another comedy anime they were going to turn into an anime, they may want Sket Dance back on the air to help build up a timeslot again (like how Gintama did that with Sket Dance). So it's possible. But if we don't hear anything for the next year... then that's bad.
    That huge Hiroyuki Takei fan, who's has been around for a long, long time....

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20