Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 89

Thread: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

  1. #46
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    I actually watched the anime, and read starting from the chapters after the events that happened in the anime.

    The transition was not so smooth for me, and I found it hard to adapt, beginning at the last parts of the anime when the behelit began to cause trouble. I thought "wtf, so it's like this?"

    Although when I think about it, right from the very start of the anime there were no inhibitions on showing monsters. At that time it just looked to me like the first episode was so off. -_-

    Then when I started reading the manga, the elf fairy turned up, and he was never in the anime. That totally changed the mood, and the witchcraft thing. Those chapters were really the most confusing for me, but I got used to it, and took it to heart that this is really what the manga's about, and not just the golden age.

    Though my impression holds. Berserk is awesome!

  2. #47
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member D3M1URG3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Destroyer Darkmass
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I actually watched the anime, and read starting from the chapters after the events that happened in the anime.

    The transition was not so smooth for me, and I found it hard to adapt, beginning at the last parts of the anime when the behelit began to cause trouble. I thought "wtf, so it's like this?"

    Although when I think about it, right from the very start of the anime there were no inhibitions on showing monsters. At that time it just looked to me like the first episode was so off. -_-

    Then when I started reading the manga, the elf fairy turned up, and he was never in the anime. That totally changed the mood, and the witchcraft thing. Those chapters were really the most confusing for me, but I got used to it, and took it to heart that this is really what the manga's about, and not just the golden age.

    Though my impression holds. Berserk is awesome!
    Picking up on the manga where the anime left off Is a big mistake for people making the transition from the Anime to the Manga. You miss so much content In the Anime that they decided to cut for whatever reason....If you haven't yet, read from Vol.1, it greatly changes how people make the transition.

  3. #48
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    19,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by mistah radical View Post
    Well, this topic is old but there's no traffic on this area so I guess no one cares if I comment. I just read the whole series over a couple of weeks for the first time, so it's interesting to think about. This will be full of spoilers since I'm assuming you've read everything to view this topic.

    ...
    Just wanted to say that mistah radical's post about Berserk was a great analysis of the overall story and very appreciated. I enjoyed reading every word of it.

    As for Griffith, he probably is a repressed homosexual - he seemed more emotionally scarred by Guts' leaving than his body was scarred by that sick little tormentor. He also seemed to blame Guts for his "fall from grace," even more than he did the king. He felt betrayed, went into self-destructive mode, and soon thereafter his dreams seemed to be all but over. His main reason for going along with the God Hand was apparently to get even with Guts, or to show that he wouldn't allow anything to get in the way of his dreams again. His rape of Casca was for the same reason.

    Anyway, mistah radical helped me see the first 15 volumes in a wholly new light, so thank you. I still enjoy the second part a little better than you do I think, because I guess I'm not expecting so much widespread destruction and slaughter to the point where it affects Guts' psyche in a negative way anymore. If anything like the Eclipse happened again for Guts, I'd feel VERY miserable for him. Right now I just want Guts to act out his "part" - counter Griffith with his own defiance of fate. Though I do agree that Casca's character leaves a lot to be desired right now. But I think that should be rectified very shortly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    Picking up on the manga where the anime left off Is a big mistake for people making the transition from the Anime to the Manga. You miss so much content In the Anime that they decided to cut for whatever reason....If you haven't yet, read from Vol.1, it greatly changes how people make the transition.
    Quoted for truth. I wouldn't recommend it either. Read the manga, all the way from the beginning to the end, to get the complete experience.

    Also, just have to throw in my two cents' worth about Judeau - his fall was quite possibly the most heart-breaking character death scene I've ever read in any manga. For that reason possibly, I DO have to applaud Miura - it certainly marked that whole scene as EVEN more tragic, horrifying, and frightening. Which is exactly what I wanted to feel for such an apocalyptic disaster that I knew was coming. It certainly wasn't boring at all.

    It definitely helped me to completely agree and sympathize with Guts when he told the demons all to "go back to hell." And I certainly wouldn't want to experience hell if it was like that, either!
    Last edited by Gold Knight; January 27, 2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #49
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    46,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Yeah, Judeau's death was an amazing scene.

    "And you...only thought of me as someone useful."

    That pretty much summed up the regret he had for not going after Casca. He was such a great character.

  5. #50
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Windmillblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bronx NY Baby!!!!
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    it just rocks dude. i saw the anime first i dunno if it was in 98 or 99 but i had saw something i had never seen before or music or feeling for a anime i had never seen before. at that time the only anime i had saw was dbz. and after berserk i was starting to expand on the other animes and not 3 years ago i had found out that the story wasnt over and watched no lie the whole part from the last ep of the anime to what was the last chapter at that time. i was amazed and in love all over again. this is the only manga or anime i have cried for and im a tough guy. this is also what made me learn martial arts. i felt i needed to be stronger just by watching the anime years ago. i wonder how we csn start a petition and mail it to the auther miura to continuie the anime.

  6. #51
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    46,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Well if there is some sort of continuation, Miura is likely not responsible for it happening really. The slow pacing of the current episodes do hurt any chance of it being animated. It's more likely to happen after the series is over...whenever that is.

  7. #52
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight View Post
    As for Griffith, he probably is a repressed homosexual - he seemed more emotionally scarred by Guts' leaving than his body was scarred by that sick little tormentor. He also seemed to blame Guts for his "fall from grace," even more than he did the king. He felt betrayed, went into self-destructive mode, and soon thereafter his dreams seemed to be all but over. His main reason for going along with the God Hand was apparently to get even with Guts, or to show that he wouldn't allow anything to get in the way of his dreams again. His rape of Casca was for the same reason.
    I can't really decide if Griffith is homo or not, because maybe he's not, but that he just has an ABNORMAL insecurity or some other complex for Guts.

    I do agree that he raped Casca for the sake of getting back at Guts. He never really "loved" anybody but his dream and... well, Guts.

    [/quote]
    Quoted for truth. I wouldn't recommend it either. Read the manga, all the way from the beginning to the end, to get the complete experience.[/quote]

    now that you tell me that, maybe if I pull through with my thesis, I will read the whole thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Well if there is some sort of continuation, Miura is likely not responsible for it happening really. The slow pacing of the current episodes do hurt any chance of it being animated. It's more likely to happen after the series is over...whenever that is.
    True, there are no signs yet about the climax.

  8. #53
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sorata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I can't really decide if Griffith is homo or not, because maybe he's not, but that he just has an ABNORMAL insecurity or some other complex for Guts.

    I do agree that he raped Casca for the sake of getting back at Guts. He never really "loved" anybody but his dream and... well, Guts.
    Quoted for truth. I wouldn't recommend it either. Read the manga, all the way from the beginning to the end, to get the complete experience.[/quote]

    now that you tell me that, maybe if I pull through with my thesis, I will read the whole thing.



    True, there are no signs yet about the climax.[/QUOTE]

    I think that Griffith really liked all the members from the Band of the Hawk, if he didn´t like them, he couldn´t use them for the sacrifice, it´s the same when that fat Apostole from the beginning tried to use Guts as a sacrifice and the God Hand guys told him that Guts was no good, he needed to use his daughter for the sacrifice to work.
    And the reason Griffith was so upset about Guts leaving was because Guts was the only one he has seen as his equal for the entire life, the rest of the members of the Band of the Hawk were good friends who would do anything for Griffith to accomplish his dream, and Guts was the only one he can talk like is own equal.
    So i think taht Griffith is not that bad person and much less Homo, he just think of himself as a superior being.
    Did you hear about the man who can´t be destroyed?? = Shin Jin-Ho - "The Immortal"

    He is the Fastest highschooler and the Strongest Linebacker in the history of Japan!! = Shin Seijuurou - "The Perfect Player"

    If you disrupt the discipline in Namimori he will Bite you to Death!! = Hibari Kyoya - Vongola X´s Strongest Guardian

    The man who will be the strongest swordsman!! = Roronoa Zoro - The Pirate Hunter

  9. #54
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member D3M1URG3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Destroyer Darkmass
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorata View Post
    I think that Griffith really liked all the members from the Band of the Hawk, if he didn´t like them, he couldn´t use them for the sacrifice, it´s the same when that fat Apostole from the beginning tried to use Guts as a sacrifice and the God Hand guys told him that Guts was no good, he needed to use his daughter for the sacrifice to work.
    And the reason Griffith was so upset about Guts leaving was because Guts was the only one he has seen as his equal for the entire life, the rest of the members of the Band of the Hawk were good friends who would do anything for Griffith to accomplish his dream, and Guts was the only one he can talk like is own equal.
    So i think taht Griffith is not that bad person and much less Homo, he just think of himself as a superior being.
    I wouldn't say necessarily that Griffith "liked" the Band of the Hawk, less that they were all men (and woman) that completely worshiped him. The Band of Hawk were all people who's destiny was intertwined with Griffith, so in the end it was their Destiny to become Sacrifices for his Ascension.

    As for the Griffith sexual orientation debate -- I think that Griffith uses and treats Sex as a tool, to further his goals or to send a message. I don't think that he has any emotional attachment in the act, and that perhaps he simply identifies Guts as his counterpart. Guts was the first person in his life that he was completely dependent upon, so maybe that would be why he has such feelings for him.

  10. #55
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sorata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    I wouldn't say necessarily that Griffith "liked" the Band of the Hawk, less that they were all men (and woman) that completely worshiped him. The Band of Hawk were all people who's destiny was intertwined with Griffith, so in the end it was their Destiny to become Sacrifices for his Ascension.
    That´s not true, the sacrifice has to be someone dear and part of his hearts, because after the sacrifice one looses all humanity, you can see this in page: http://www.onemanga.com/Berserk/7/29/
    Did you hear about the man who can´t be destroyed?? = Shin Jin-Ho - "The Immortal"

    He is the Fastest highschooler and the Strongest Linebacker in the history of Japan!! = Shin Seijuurou - "The Perfect Player"

    If you disrupt the discipline in Namimori he will Bite you to Death!! = Hibari Kyoya - Vongola X´s Strongest Guardian

    The man who will be the strongest swordsman!! = Roronoa Zoro - The Pirate Hunter

  11. #56
    Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Argentina
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Probably this has already been said, but I don't see the need to separate Berserk into parts. It's just the natural development of the series, I think it would be boring to keep the series unchanged for almost 300 chapters (although it happens in most manga, I don't expect it in a seinen with the quality and duration of Berserk).
    So my answer would be that I find both equally interesting. And I disagree that the golden arc was more violent. It's true that the battle scenes lowered in quantity, but it was compensated with the mass scale slaughter caused by the new band of the hawk. Seeing 50 soldiers get cut in half by a 10 meter long spear is enough violence for me.

    EDIT: I just realized how small is the amount of threads and posts the Berserk board has. WTF? I thought it had a larger fanbase than this. Hmmm, maybe they're all in my page www.skullknight.net ...errr, no, it's not really mine XD but it's a pretty damn good page for Berserk fans.
    Last edited by sk.nite; June 19, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

  12. #57
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    46,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz556 View Post
    To be honest, I find the Golden Age Arc boring. It is just a waste of time. There is no need to make several volumes about it.

    I do not really care much about the history of Guts. His comrades from the Band of the Hawk are boring to read about. Their loyalty to Griffith is foolish. They are the ones to blame for their own deaths. Their fate is sealed when they place all their hopes and dreams upon Griffith. I do not really bother to remember their names.

    For me, the story of Guts has only become interesting, when Griffith used the Behelith. That is only when the story has really started.

    The only interesting storyline of Berserk is the very moment when Guts has started to wage war upon the monsters. That is only when the story has become really interesting.

    I am only interested in seeing how Guts will destroy all of these demons and monsters. I only want to see how Guts will be able to kill the monster once named Griffith. That is my only interest in reading Berserk.
    Sheesh.....you are very harsh sometimes you know that?

    I for one still haven't changed my mind as far as how I felt about Berserk versus how I feel now. I just want Miura to stop browsing NicoNicoDouga and playing Idol_M@ster, AND DRAW MORE MANGA.

  13. #58
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    46,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    Well you're obviously into Berserk for the viscera, but IMO I think the drama is just as important.

    Miura's monster designs are great though.

  14. #59
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    how shallow... beserk is more then unrealistic violence.

  15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  16. #60
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

    It feels a little that Berserk is becoming less... Berserk to be honest.
    In the very first chapters, Gutts was so different! Totally deflective towards Puck and licking off the blood from his hands which came from his brand, absolutely thirsty for battle. He was even torturing a dying demon for no reason by puncturing it with arrows... slaying the dying count in front of his young daughter until his knife breaks... hell, what a dark guy he was! It was cooler than the current state definitly, Gutts is becoming more socialised... it's a little sad to see this happening. to be honest I hope his current group to die a terrible death so Gutts can return to his old style.
    At least his change was plausible as he met those people reminding him of his old company... however, it's not as cool as it was

    In any case I just noticed that it's definitly worth reading the first three volumes over again after having caught up with the current chapters, damn Gatts displayed an amount of badassness like it never again happens afterwards
    "Just die then... It's so easy... Just cut your wrist with that knife then it will end. You'll be cut off from that horrible thing. Like you may be able to get to heaven... or rather go to hell so you can meet your mom and dad."
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; October 30, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

  17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts