Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Berserk General Discussion Thread

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Dragonzair's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Berserk General Discussion Thread

Well, since downloads until the latest are available online, I suppose it's alright for me to talk about the latest happenings.

I'm getting really excited about each chapter, basically. The artwork's getting better every year. That's very visible if you compare how Guts looked in the first chapter with the recent chapter now.

I can't wait to see where their next journey takes them. Although, I really want to see Puck's homeland...

For those who are still new to Berserk, and are members at NF, you can request for the volumes in packs right here:
    http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=85633

EDIT BY GOLD KNIGHT: Also, Berserk is available at mIRC.  That's where I got my volumes ^_^

Oh, please try to use spoiler tags because not everybody here may be up to date on the latest volume, like me.

And what Berserk is about is basically hardcore fantasy, with a lot of monsters and actually some very mature themes.  The art's pretty good - I agree with DZ that it's gotten much better since the first volume.  Guts is a wandering swordsman, with a huge sword and a cannon for a left hand, who's been branded with a demonic mark so that he's always having to fend off spirits at night.  You learn about his tragic past early on in Berserk while he was with the mercenary group called Band of the Hawk and well, the story takes off after that.  Later on in the series, Berserk begins to incorporate a lot of the elements that we all enjoy from a traditional RPG, which is when I really started liking it. - GK

Discuss away!

^_^;;;

For those who have no idea what to say...post your favourite characters! Fanarts are greatly appreciated too!

Edit AlbatorBis: K let's try to keep things ordered before they get ectic. I'm going to do something similar of what we have at EG for Berserk. So I renamed this thread as "General Discussion", meaning you should talk about Berserk, the manga evolution and past chapters here. If you feel like opening a topic for some special chapter (like the Lost one) please do so, just title it right. Same for fanarts or favourite characters, polls, etc...You should discuss NEW stuffs in the latest chapter thread that I should update depending on what we have (just raws or scanlation).

"Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berserk Discussion Thread

Spoiler: recent events in Berserk show

Felt like this one needed spoiler tagging - GK

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm enjoying Berserk, but it was hard for me to get through some parts because of all the violence, especially to women. The art can be both beautiful and horrifying.

There's a lot of rape in it for example. I was wondering if it could be considered gratuitious violence, but realized later on that it was all kind of preparing the reader for what happened to a particular character, so I suppose it all became essential to the story. I could deal with it then, but I still think some scenes hurt the appeal of the story. Like Serpico said himself at one point, he was getting sick of all the demons and whatnot.

But I think even Miura himself realized that he was overdoing it, and lately in recent volumes the story has become a little more easier to read, more like a traditional RPG, and I do really like it right now.

I've got to say something here though, Zodd is the best looking monster I've seen in a manga so far, and I absolutely love the Skull Knight. Puck's got a very fairy-like appearance and like he said himself (lol), he was pretty needed for the comedy relief in the series and later on he does a better job of it. I suppose my favorite character is Guts though.

EDIT: Okay, caught up to the latest chapter, and I've gotta say I've got a lot of respect for Schierke. Tough kid and awesome magic-user, I love her.

Volumes 28-31, it was impossible for me to stop reading - I really got caught up into the story. Berserk has gotten SO much better, both in story and art, that it made reading the first 15 volumes more than worth it. But I kind of think it's crazy how long it took the manga-ka to finally get to establishing what I'm guessing will be the main group of heroes from this point on to the end of the series.

This is kind of a surprise, but Berserk is one manga I feel like the mangaka just keep getting and getting better with every chapter now. That's pretty impressive, considering how involved the first few storyarcs were and how much work it must have taken to do 30 volumes! I'll definitely continue to follow this one

Next chapter's not out until March 28th though T_T

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

ShmoDawg:
    Spoiler show

GK: Joe told me that the chapter's coming out today?? XD I saw a preview!!! Somewhere in skullknight.org

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I double-checked and Evil Genius' scanlation of Chapter 270 said that chapter 271 wouldn't be out until March 27th. And Volume 30 comes out on March 28th.

Spoiler: Chapter 271 Predictions show

Spoiler: Oh, and DZ... show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member walkie's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

i really enjoyed berserk until it becomes like a tale...i mean when a magican and a thief and other people strted to involve and they became a team, it just lost it's older taste...

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, I was wondering if some people felt that way. I guess it's all a matter of taste - Berserk was extremely chaotic early on, that's for sure, more than it is now. Though even now it's still more wild than a lot of stories I see.

But I'm glad it's toned down somewhat. At the same time I can appreciate the tremendous sense of danger and excitement that the early stories gave the series - I sure as heck don't expect anybody in that series to get out of any battle completely unscathed now.

Don't forget also that most of the first 13 volumes were centered around a flashback about a band that we knew wouldn't exist as it used to be now - so Miura had plenty of freedom to do what he wanted to do with that group because readers were expecting something to happen, there wouldn't be SO much shock. Looking back on it, it was pretty clever writing.

But the group we have now, I don't think will be as abused, because fans by now are tired of seeing bad endings.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I agree with GK. It's an easier read once it got toned down, and the stories are getting even mroe interesting, even without the monster rape and all.

And it gets really cool with the team as well, because jsut having one person doing the same thing over and over again, gets boring. Gutts attacking people without an explanation also gets boring as you have no idea what he;s doing. But now, it gets more detailed with the storyline, whihc is why I loved it. XD

But then it all goes down to different tastes, as GK said. The main reason why I loved Berserk: fairy tail-esque plot, in a way. XD Action was good, but give me any fairy tale, and I'll absorb it in no time.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I love to see character interaction and I definitely can understand Guts' feelings when he enters battle now. Everything from volume 14 onward has been pretty awesome.

The only volume I really liked in the first 13 volumes was when Guts fought Zodd for the first time (volume 5). But the detailed art of the castles and the battling of the armies also kept me going.

I was also pretty curious as to how and why Griffith betrayed Guts.

Oh and DZ, I did some research on Berserk, and the 'Lost Chapter' you mentioned is Chapter 83, 'God of the Abyss Part 2,' which was intentionally left out of Volume 13 by the author's own decision.

If you go back to Volume 13 and read Chapter 82 ( or the third chapter of that volume ), you'll see:

Spoiler: Chapter 82 show

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member siegfried's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaLkiE
    i really enjoyed berserk until it becomes like a tale...i mean when a magican and a thief and other people strted to involve and they became a team, it just lost it's older taste...
    I cant agree more.man who needs a stupid thieve.they are burden to him.I guess mangaka didn't want to keep the plot repeating ,but it is too much frp like now.mangaka should find other solutions.

and that berserker armor thing is too cliche.we started to see things like that too much.guts will manage to overcome it in future chapters,I will bet my money on this.
    Things not going you way?You pick up your toys and go home.That is it?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the only option though. Casca obviously needed more people around to keep her out of trouble. And to keep her safe away from Guts' berserking state when it happens. This way Guts can be both close to Casca AND feel like he won't hurt her.

But I'll make a prediction here -
    Spoiler: When they get to Elfheim show

By the way, I just watched the first episode of Berserk and can't believe they aren't including Puck in the anime. That was pretty stupid.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest i have the manga but i havent read it but i need to since the anime end so soon and sadnot too much but ....thats hard...the girl that you love in your face being...come on...

anyway i want to say more about it but i need to read the manga to talk about it.
    <br />[B]Looking for translators for hayai scanations...current project Rave Master.<br />go to <br />Topic Requesting Translators

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard about that, the anime ending on such a bad tone.

Trust me, the manga is much better, it sounds like. The anime's ending coincided with the ending of volume 13. There's 31 volumes now, so the anime only covered a little of the story.

EDIT: Just read Chapter 271 !

Spoiler show

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read the new chapter from GK as well!

Spoiler show

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

XD

Well, I have an announcement to make here - I've made a Berserk board. Here's 3 reasons why:

1) Berserk is an awesome Seinen manga and I've noticed that its popularity is really skyrocketing these days with manga readers at both NF and MH.

2) Evil Genius, its primary scanlation group at the moment, has a presence here at MH.

and 3) We have enough moderators to keep up with it now. (Namely me, njt, and Dragonzair, and Tanuki-dono is reading it as well if not caught up yet.)

Have fun!

New Reply
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast