Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member White Rabbit's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you think of Berserk then and now?

man, I always get jelous when someone states the he/she read the entire series for the first time.
    I wish I could hire some creepy Haitian to erase my memory about it and then read it again.

Being into the story for so long makes it a little hard for me to make an objective estimation about the differences of the the golden age and the post-eclipse events.
    Since the golden age is what hooked me on Berserk, I'd say it's my favourite part... but that's not supposed to be a statement about the quality of characters and/or storytelling.
    Music of rebellion makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires who're nearly twice your age

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Silhouette's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Many fans criticize the end of the first arc for being too violent or because all the members of the band of the hawk were killed. But the way I see it, kill one of Guts' friends he will be angry, kill a few and he will fight until the enemy runs away but kill all of them and abuse the mother of his child then a beast is born..a beast who will chase the monsters who did that until he wipes them off the face of Earth...it was what gave Guts his famous moments of rage and that scary look on his face. Before the eclipse Guts was driven by fear from his background with Gambino, now he is lead by both fear and rage...dang Berserk is awesome
    CLICK SIGNATURE ABOVE FOR BLEACH & OP COLOURED PAGES

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aldrich's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I can say Berserk is the only manga I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to the (temporary) end. The only thing I disliked was how Miura handled Casca's rape. I love the character of Casca, she's one of the most human, believable female characters from all the mangas I've read, and to see how Miura treated her kind of startled me.

Not the rape in itself, but the way it was shown. It just looked like any crass semi hentai fanservicy crap, like something out of a Oh Great! chapter, and somehow seemed really out of place in the sheer horror of the Eclipse. Compared to how Miura depicted the rape of the farmer's daughter at the hands of Wyald a few chapter earlier it was done in a really poor taste, to the point where the most disturbing thing in this scene for me were Gutts's screams.

Other than that, I have no problems with Berserk. Truly a masterpiece.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Absolutio's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrich View Post
    I can say Berserk is the only manga I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to the (temporary) end. The only thing I disliked was how Miura handled Casca's rape. I love the character of Casca, she's one of the most human, believable female characters from all the mangas I've read, and to see how Miura treated her kind of startled me.

Not the rape in itself, but the way it was shown. It just looked like any crass semi hentai fanservicy crap, like something out of a Oh Great! chapter, and somehow seemed really out of place in the sheer horror of the Eclipse. Compared to how Miura depicted the rape of the farmer's daughter at the hands of Wyald a few chapter earlier it was done in a really poor taste, to the point where the most disturbing thing in this scene for me were Gutts's screams.

I didnt notice any "poor taste" in the rape. It kinda grossed me out. And it's a painting after all => Miura is awesome in his work.

And yes, from beggining to the end. Berserk is a masterpiece, which makes me unsure of which part I liked more.
    But generally, part 1 is better in the anime than the manga, coz they have more scenes there (if I remember correctly). (not that the manga is bad at all )

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I apologize if this is common knowledge, I am new to this Realm. I watched Berserk episodes 1-25. I assume there are no more dvd releases after this? Can anyone tell me which graphic novels I need to buy to continue the story after Episode 25? Obviously Gatts gets out of Hell and I hear Kaska is insane and out as well. I'd really like to continue to follow this story. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, (again forgive my ignorance) I had once seen an Anime where these people morphed into Wolves, does anyone know the name of this?

One more, when I was in Japan, I saw an Anime where a whole city was built on the back of a gigantic turtle that walked from city to city. Once there, the inhabitants on the back of the turtle would disembark and attack the near-by city. Does anyone know the name on this?

Thanks in advance

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

The anime covers roughly volumes 5-8 of the manga. I would suggest reading from the beginning since the anime only takes bits and pieces of some of the plot.

This isn't the correct section for the other two questions but I think the anime with the Giant Turtle is a movie called Amon Saga and you can go here to for more info.

I'm not sure what the wolf anime could be since that seems to be more common than a Giant Turtle with a City on it's back. Fushigi Yuugi features shapeshifters though. Ashitare can shapeshift into a wolf.

Hmmm...do you mean Wolf's Rain? The Wolves in the anime can appear as human, but they aren't.

I hope this all helps, but remember this is a section for Berserk.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Introduction Arc was meh. I liked the artwork though, which kept my interest. It was Golden Age where I have to admit that Berserk became my absolute favorite manga. I will admit though that the ending of Golden Age was a bit...disturbing. Having everyone killed along with Casca's fate was quite gruesome and needn't have been as bloodied as it was. The ending felt extremely overboard.

After Golden Age, the Conviction Arc was pretty good as well. Matters concerning Jill and the lost children though were dragged out, yet it served its purpose of making Guts look like a "monster" quite well. Things got interesting afterwards and continue to do so with the subsequent arcs.

Having the manga go into a more fantasy theme with the introduction of characters like Schierke really made the manga interesting (Isidro felt like he came out of nowhere though). Berserk has been enjoyable, very enjoyable. And I continue looking forward to seeing this series reach its ending. I have to admit I was surprised to learn for how long Berserk has been going, but the wait will be worth it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Windmillblade's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the berserk anime was one of the best of all time...very tragic scenes there. And the manga Defenetly has uped the bar on story telling. I just wish there would be a continuation of the anime and for the berserk manga to come out quicker and waiting a month or two for a 23 page manga chapter.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I would bet on there being more anime adaptations eventually. Berserk is too epic and popular for there not to be. I would bet more on OVAs or Movies though.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member D3M1URG3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't like the use of separation when it comes to Berserk -- people too often like to compare archs in the series as "Old Berserk" and "New Berserk", when the archs are an evolution of the story, not a separate entity in itself. I think that something many fans miss when reading a manga the caliber of Berserk is that this story is Epic in scope and is constantly evolving as Miura envisions it.

I think that the anime may have caused this popular separation ism for the series, as many people that liked the anime strangely don't like the final episode, which in my opinion is closest to how the series is. Bloody battles, terror, rape, sadness -- and the battle of a man who wants to protect what he loves and avenge the events of his past -- this is what makes Berserk what it is.

I will admit that there are several characters that I miss from the previous archs, specifically Judeau and "Gatsu fan boy" Gaston. Not to mention Caska as she used to be -- a warrior woman that Gatsu not only loved but respected as a fellow warrior. What has happened to Caska over the course of the series is dramatic and sad, because of how far she has deteriorated from her former self into a infant-like nuisance. However, she has her part to play still as Gatsu goes to hell and back to put things right and return her to her former self.

As for other things that I miss from previous archs, it would have to be the former camaraderie between Gatsu and Griffith in the band of the hawk. This was played out so well In the Golden Age arch, and set up so beautifully the rise and fall of two men that would completely change the world for better or for worse. How Miura set these set of events up is just magical, as I myself have never really hated a villain in a story as I do Griffith, especially now as the "Hawk of Light".

I don't really see much of a difference when it comes to the bloodshed though, except that the majority of the battles have become more fantastical and otherworldly, in comparison to much of the Golden Age fights, which were typical for a series who's concepts are derived from the Dark Ages.

As for the current archs however, I'm greatly enjoying this new camaraderie with Gatsu and his group. The inclusion of Serpico, Farnese, Isidoro and Schierke have drastically changed how Gatsu reacts in his battles and dealings with others, which has improved the series In my opinion. The relationship between Gatsu, Schierke, Farnese and Caska is tremendously deep --as all of the girls have some connection with Gatsu (or want a connection ^_^) and the way they react to one another is very rich. Isidoro brings a level of comedy to the series alongside Puck and Evarella, while at the same time kind of putting the "Gatsu's apprentice" aspect into the character at the same time. As the series progresses It seems more and more that Gatsu is slowly becoming this beacon to people which in many ways mimics Griffith in his pre-Femto phase (only minus the "i'm going to sacrifice your lives for my dream and not care to recognize you as a real person" side that Griffith put out there).

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    I honestly don't like the use of separation when it comes to Berserk -- people too often like to compare archs in the series as "Old Berserk" and "New Berserk", when the archs are an evolution of the story, not a separate entity in itself. I think that something many fans miss when reading a manga the caliber of Berserk is that this story is Epic in scope and is constantly evolving as Miura envisions it.
    I completely agree with you here, but I've come to terms with this type of thing happening in long-running series. Especially one that isn't weekly like nearly all popular shounen manga are. The frequent and long breaks don't help either, but I find that going back an rereading a series is almost always necessary when reading it chapter to chapter for so long as many fans do.

I think that the anime may have caused this popular separation ism for the series, as many people that liked the anime strangely don't like the final episode, which in my opinion is closest to how the series is. Bloody battles, terror, rape, sadness -- and the battle of a man who wants to protect what he loves and avenge the events of his past -- this is what makes Berserk what it is.
    You're right about this segmentation that occurs. The anime adaptation of manga are almost always a little less intense. When an anime is produced without the manga ending first, sometimes animators cut corners and flesh out smaller things in order to make a series viable in episodic form. This is why the bulk of the anime was all about the Golden Age.

I will admit that there are several characters that I miss from the previous archs, specifically Judeau and "Gatsu fan boy" Gaston. Not to mention Caska as she used to be -- a warrior woman that Gatsu not only loved but respected as a fellow warrior. What has happened to Caska over the course of the series is dramatic and sad, because of how far she has deteriorated from her former self into a infant-like nuisance. However, she has her part to play still as Gatsu goes to hell and back to put things right and return her to her former self.
    I myself miss Judeau immensely, as I found him to be one of the more interesting characters who's personality was never fleshed out before he was killed. I have to applaud Miura for risking so much, and maybe too much for some readers in the events of the Eclipse.

As for other things that I miss from previous archs, it would have to be the former camaraderie between Gatsu and Griffith in the band of the hawk. This was played out so well In the Golden Age arch, and set up so beautifully the rise and fall of two men that would completely change the world for better or for worse. How Miura set these set of events up is just magical, as I myself have never really hated a villain in a story as I do Griffith, especially now as the "Hawk of Light".
    There's an interesting thing going on recently that it's obvious to everyone but Guts' party, Griffith will be a hero. When he gets into that position eventually, it'll be interesting to see if history repeats itself. We do know that Guts wants revenge, but he and his party will have to go up against insane odds to get to Griffith.

I don't really see much of a difference when it comes to the bloodshed though, except that the majority of the battles have become more fantastical and otherworldly, in comparison to much of the Golden Age fights, which were typical for a series who's concepts are derived from the Dark Ages.
    I think this is due to the increased element of mysticism that all started with the Behelit. We of course experienced it full-tilt during the Eclipse, but it was certainly still otherworldly, but with Puck becoming more prominent and the incorporation of the idea of other planes of reality, it's becoming much more fantastical. Faerydom became involved in the first arc after the Eclipse, Schierke and Evarella add to this. The dynamic of Skull Knight and Flora did as well. Guts is slowly becoming a monster due to the Berserker's Armor as well.

As for the current archs however, I'm greatly enjoying this new camaraderie with Gatsu and his group. The inclusion of Serpico, Farnese, Isidoro and Schierke have drastically changed how Gatsu reacts in his battles and dealings with others, which has improved the series In my opinion. The relationship between Gatsu, Schierke, Farnese and Caska is tremendously deep --as all of the girls have some connection with Gatsu (or want a connection ^_^) and the way they react to one another is very rich. Isidoro brings a level of comedy to the series alongside Puck and Evarella, while at the same time kind of putting the "Gatsu's apprentice" aspect into the character at the same time. As the series progresses It seems more and more that Gatsu is slowly becoming this beacon to people which in many ways mimics Griffith in his pre-Femto phase (only minus the "i'm going to sacrifice your lives for my dream and not care to recognize you as a real person" side that Griffith put out there).
    The other side of the coin to what you express here, is many readers believe the series has become almost shounen at this point...which I could care less about as long as I'm still enthralled by it. The most interesting thing about recent events is obviously Guts losing his human side to the armor, and he finally depending on others again. It seemed unlikely after he was burned by Griffith.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member D3M1URG3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    The other side of the coin to what you express here, is many readers believe the series has become almost shounen at this point...which I could care less about as long as I'm still enthralled by it. The most interesting thing about recent events is obviously Guts losing his human side to the armor, and he finally depending on others again. It seemed unlikely after he was burned by Griffith.
    I completely agree with you on that. Though many people may claim that they believe that Berserk is on the verge of shounen, it doesn't change Berserk in my mind whatsoever. I've been a fan of the series for several years now, and my reading up to vol.33/ch.292 has only increased my love of the series. It may be true that for the purposes of making the series more identifiable with a younger Japanese audience that Miura and Studio Gaga may have decided to change the vernacular of the "party" to include more comedic or iconic-type characters to somewhat lighten the mood of the series -- which if it was done it that regard then they were a success. However, at the same time, that shouldn't imply that Berserk has in any way lost it's mature edge, because all of these iconic-type characters have well fleshed out backgrounds, and some of them -- Schierke, Farnese and Serpico specifically have backgrounds and passions that only make Berserk deeper.

I completely agree with you here, but I've come to terms with this type of thing happening in long-running series. Especially one that isn't weekly like nearly all popular shounen manga are. The frequent and long breaks don't help either, but I find that going back an rereading a series is almost always necessary when reading it chapter to chapter for so long as many fans do.
    That Is unfortunately one of the only things that saddens me about this series, that It's stuck with frequent breaks and inconsistent releases. It's a shame really, but we have to give Miura credit where credits due, and understand as fans that a manga of this quality takes time, and him rushing chapters will only degrade the story and the art, which is something that really would lower it to a shounen-type. ^o^

You're right about this segmentation that occurs. The anime adaptation of manga are almost always a little less intense. When an anime is produced without the manga ending first, sometimes animators cut corners and flesh out smaller things in order to make a series viable in episodic form. This is why the bulk of the anime was all about the Golden Age.
    That's very true, the failings of many an anime stem from this overeagerness to adapt a manga into anime form. It's sad, because many of of my favorite series (Berserk, Gantz, Hellsing and Samurai Deeper Kyo to name a few) have had this same problem, only to see much more success from the continuation of the manga series than any attention the anime versions may have inspired. Let's hope that Berserk will at least receive Hellsing-like attention and have high quality OVA's to re segment or revision the anime format to better suit the visual and story style of Berserk.

I myself miss Judeau immensely, as I found him to be one of the more interesting characters who's personality was never fleshed out before he was killed. I have to applaud Miura for risking so much, and maybe too much for some readers in the events of the Eclipse.
    Yes, Judeau was a very interesting character who sadly never received any where near the background detail that many later characters received. However, I believe this is due more to the fact the Golden Age was really an arch that was used to flesh out the "Black Swordsman" persona, using the people that Gatsu related with and respected as a sort of sacrifice, as after the Band of the Hawk was decimated and Gatsu found himself virtually alone, it was the memory of those friends that made him stronger. Even characteristically Gatsu changed himself as an almost homage to his fallen comrades -- Adding throwing knives to his arsenal, becoming sullen and adapting a very Pippin like "man of action, less of words" attitude -- these are things that he picked up from his comrades, and they have made him growing character, which has only made the series better.

There's an interesting thing going on recently that it's obvious to everyone but Guts' party, Griffith will be a hero. When he gets into that position eventually, it'll be interesting to see if history repeats itself. We do know that Guts wants revenge, but he and his party will have to go up against insane odds to get to Griffith.
    This is true, but Gatsu and crew have proven time and again that they improve to match these escalating insane odds and in the end ironically I believe that Gatsu really will be perceived as a "Demon" who ends the life of the "Savior of the world", Griffith.

Although at the same time we can try to perceive where the series Is going, I'm truly wondering how far Miura intends to take Berserk. I mean, he's been fleshing this series out since he was 22 (or possibly younger, since we don't know when he exactly started to think of making the series), and 20 years later, now 42 Is still working on the series. As he and Studio Gaga have claimed, Berserk has no end in sight, which only makes me wonder how many twists and turns the series is going to have before it actually ends.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I know one thing, I don't see my admiration wavering in any way. Breaks can be dealt with by finding other series to read and watch.

I chalk the bitching by other fans to just be impatience...I can understand it though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gdupninja's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrich View Post

I didn't have any problems with the rape. It was plain and simple, Femto was gonna screw Guts' women right in front of him. It was so hard to read, watching a demon pry Gut's eyes open while bloody tears of anger flow down his face. I mean who could blame him, he must have felt so weak at that moment.
    Im not all the way caught up with the series but I must say it is definitly one of the best ive ever read. Even with the addition of a few characters that lighten up the mood, Berserk still keeps its mature theme. The relationship between Guts and Griffith is one of the most interesting ive ever read about. I love this series!

Made by master sig maker GrayFoxx and the render maker iThePirate
    Help us grow! http://mangaseed.com/

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member 3shinkyo3's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just read the entire series of beserk over the course of a couple of weeks and i have to say it is one of the best mangas i have ever read.
    The character development is amazing along with the fantastic artwork and supurb action i can't believe it is only now that i have found out about it.

People have stated that the golden age arc is better than the current one, which on a certain level i have to agree as i do feel the first arc had more of a rawer edge to it as for me learning about gatts as he grew up and creating his initial life bolds with the band of the hawk and then to see him lose everything in such a dramatic way for me was just sheer writing genius! I have never hated a villian half as much as i hated griffth when he joined god hand! The complete loss of the band of the hawk was something i just didn't see coming at least not to that extent.
    The newer arc is good however and i am really liking the contrasting chacters of the new group but even more i like the way Miura is showing Gats continue to mature and grow.

The only thing i slightly disappointed about which i think i read on this thread earlier is the current predicament of caska i did see as one of a extremely limited strong realistic female chacters in mangas and its is a pity what has happen to her but i guess it was needed to aid in the growth of gatts

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast