Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Goku vs Superman

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner KnightLancer's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GOKU VS SUPERMAN

It's not about liking Goku, it's just that I think Superman would win, and I'll attempt to refute arguments made in Goku's favor in order to support Superman.

I mean, I like Goku fine, sure, I just think he'd get knocked out by Superman.

It'd be no different than my acceptance that Superman could be held off by Cardcaptor Sakura if she was given a bit of preptime to activate a few cards (notably, the ones with WTF Reality-Warping powers).

...Though, if anyone ever tries to pull a "Kyuubi could beat Superman!" I'll bash them over the face with a cinder-block...
    Last edited by KnightLancer; June 25, 2007 at 01:10 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member the_hellbringer's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

@level4paperboy: Then it's a tie and after the fight tehy're going to eat some icecream togheter.
    He has resurrected!!
    And now with more CORN!!

Go, Dancing Jesus!!

Don't look this spoiler. It's empty. Don't open it!

Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

if you guys really want to see who's gonna win, then lets st it at a fair playing field

the winner is judged by their gross sales! the market does not lie! whichever character has the highest gross sales, has the bigger fanbase. thus making one character better than the other based on their influence towards the consumers!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by level4paperboy View Post
    if you guys really want to see who's gonna win, then lets st it at a fair playing field

the winner is judged by their gross sales! the market does not lie! whichever character has the highest gross sales, has the bigger fanbase. thus making one character better than the other based on their influence towards the consumers!
    Well, Superman's been around for nearly 70 years, been in thousands of comics, books, newspaper strips, had several (admittedly awful) video games (a trend that'll hopefully change sometime soon), several big-budget Hollywood movies (one great, two good, one not-so-good...), one low-budget Hollywood movie (which was awful), the highly popular 40's radio serial, movie serials ranging from the great animated Superman shorts by the Fleischers (which inspired its fair share of anime and manga artists too) to the Superman serials starring Kirk Alyn, The Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves, Superboy, Lois & Clark, Smallville, "It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman!" The Broadway Musical, Superfriends, the 1988 Superman cartoon by Ruby-Spears, Superman: TAS, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, new DVD Movie Superman: Doomsday that's gonna come out soon, and another big budget Hollywood movie coming out in 2009.

There's also toys, various merchandise, and a UN-commissioned book regarding the danger of landmines.

The superhero comic-book genre started with Superman, when Action Comics proved that superheroes would sell.
    Also, the term "superhero" comes from Superman, previously characters than would fit into the superhero genre were called "crimefighters" or "vigilantes".

All told, Superman has generated billions of dollars in sales and revenue either directly or indirectly.

Superman comics were considered part of essential supplies for Marines at the Midway Islands during WWII.

The Superman symbol is one of the most recognized symbols in the world, and Superman is one of the world's best known characters. I mean, almost everybody can list at least 3 of Superman's powers, and know at least part of his story (he's from Krypton, Krypton blew up, relationship with Lois Lane, etc) Ask someone on the street who Goku is, they probably won't know. Ask someone who Superman is, and they'll probably ask if you've been living under a rock for the past 70 years.

There are quite a number of songs inspired by the Superman mythos:

* "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down.
    * "Superman" by The Clique; the song was later made famous when R.E.M. covered it on their 1986 album Lifes Rich Pageant. That version also appeared in an episode of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
    * The Crash Test Dummies' first hit single was the song, "Superman's Song", which is sung like a funeral dirge. The song compares Superman to Tarzan and mentions Green Lantern's old villain Solomon Grundy. It continues with the lament that Superman kept fighting despite sadness and fatigue, and that "the world will never see another man like him."
    * "Superman (It's Not Easy)" by Five for Fighting; the popular 2001 single is clearly sung from the point of view of Superman, although his name is never mentioned. The song became a popular anthem after the September 11, 2001 attacks, as well as after Christopher Reeve's death. It was also used in an episode of the TV series Smallville.
    * "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" by The Kinks
    * "Superman" by Martha Redbone, on her Home of the Brave album, 2002, contains the lyrics "have you ever been to the moon?/ you could take me there if you want to....just say the word , baby, save the day/ maybe lie awake with me....
    * "Even Superman" by Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband (from SLC, Utah)
    * "Even Superman Shot Himself" by Powerman 5000
    * "Resignation Superman" by Big Head Todd & The Monsters on Beautiful World (1997) examines what might happen should Superman decide to turn his back.
    * "Waitin' For Superman" by The Flaming Lips
    * "Superman" by Barbra Streisand

Besides, his monthly book Action Comics has more or less been in print for almost all of those 70 years, quite the achievement. On it's 850th issue now, along with issue #600-something for Superman.

A near mint-condition copy of the original 1938 Action Comics #1 is worth about $1,000,000.

Oh, and Superman is in the dictionary. Superman
    (Admittedly, this entry was a ways down, but still)
    American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
    Superman:
    A seemingly immortal, superhuman comic-strip character created in the late 1930s, who hides his powers beneath the persona of Clark Kent, a mild-mannered newspaper reporter. Only when there is a threat of danger — often to his fellow reporter and secret love, Lois Lane — does Clark transform himself into the caped hero.
    [Chapter:] Mythology and Folklore

Indeed, Superman really is an integral part of modern mythology.

I think Superman won this fight quite handily.
    Last edited by KnightLancer; June 26, 2007 at 12:13 PM.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Roanapur's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Goku, nor anyone in DBZ, has never performed any FTL speed feats.

If any of you believe they have, I invite you to post scans suggesting such.

If Goku, or anyone in DBZ, could move light speed, then why would it take so long for them to fly around Namek? Why did it take them so long to chase down the Androids? Why did chibi Trunks not reach his destination instantly when SSJ3 Goku distracted Majin Buu?

Also, the Spirit Bomb shouldn't even be brought into this discussion. It's big, obvious, slow, and it's power is completely dependent upon how many living organisms Goku can ask for power from before getting distracted. Without PIS, no one would ever allow themselves to get hit by such an attack.

Even if Superman did get hit by the Spirit Bomb, I highly doubt it would do much, since Superman's shrugged off attacks the equivalent of multiple nuclear explosions(from what little I remember of his feats).

edit: Also, the Spirit Bomb won't work on the pure hearted..... and Superman is the embodiment of "pure".

That basically throws that plan out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightLancer View Post
    It's not about liking Goku, it's just that I think Superman would win
    Exactly.

I was under the impression that the winner would be based upon who we actually thought would win, and not who we wanted to win.
    Last edited by Roanapur; June 25, 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

we need figures to settle this...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What sort of figures?

Well, in terms out strength, Superman far-far-far outclasses Goku.

In his base form, Goku could barely move with 40 tons on him, and had to go SSJ in order to move around easily.

Superman has lifted objects weighing billions of tons, has changed the position of the moon (with the combined efforts of Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. I can't quite remember if Martian Manhunter was there or not), and has escaped the pull of black holes (a feat which destroys any of the arguments made for Goku because of his "training in 100 or whatever number times gravity" shtick. It also proves Superman's speed, since even light can't escape a black hole's pull, the escape velocity of a black hole must be faster than light.)
    Last edited by KnightLancer; June 26, 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

figures as in sales. not a lowdown of franchises and history like what you made, i'm talking raw numbers, where we can see just how much each series made. NOT COUNTING SPINOFFS! meaning anything DBZ without in it goku playing a key role is not allowed, and superman spinoffs are not allowed too!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, ya know, these figures aren't exactly easy to come by...

And how has the conversation suddenly turned from which character would win based on their powersets to which character sells more?
    Last edited by KnightLancer; June 26, 2007 at 09:02 PM.

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

because a hero is judged, not by their strength, but thir influence on the masses.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

because a hero is judged, not by their strength, but thir influence on the masses.
    Metropolis is a city located along the Ohio River in Massac County, Illinois, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 6,482. It is the county seat of Massac County.

On June 9, 1972 the Illinois State Legislature passed Resolution 572 that declared Metropolis the "Hometown of Superman," the comic book superhero who is based in the fictional city of Metropolis. The real city celebrates its "local hero" in every possible way that it can. Among the ways it celebrates the character are a large Superman statue in the city, a small Superman museum, and an annual Superman festival that is in June. Also, it has a local newspaper, known as The Metropolis Planet, a name inspired by the newspaper in fictional Metropolis, The Daily Planet.

The 15 foot bronze statue of Superman in Metropolis...

Statue from another angle...

Sign welcoming travelers to Metropolis: Home of Superman!

A very nice wedding (real wedding too...)

The town water tower, complete with the man of steel.

I think Superman won this fight quite handily...
    Last edited by KnightLancer; June 27, 2007 at 09:03 PM.

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, now we gotta wait for a DBZ fanboy to post his rebuttal.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, now we gotta wait for a DBZ fanboy to post his rebuttal.
    I wonder what exactly such a rebuttal would contain...

Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

well, mostly the same stuff you posted, but with goku instead of superman...keep in mind that goku is bigger in japan that superman is! who knows what'll pop up...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Provided anything even exists to be used as evidence...

The lack of which would basically prove Superman more popular and influential by default...

New Reply
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast