Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Need some help

  1. #1
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Need some help

    I'm trying to translate the following line:

    やはり肉と着替えは生に限るなぁ

    And I can't seem to make any sense of it.
    Literally it seems like its:
    "As I thought, meat and a change of clothes are confined to life."

    Any ideas?
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

  2. #2
    Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by shinwei
    I'm trying to translate the following line:

    やはり肉と着替えは生に限るなぁ

    And I can't seem to make any sense of it.
    Literally it seems like its:
    "As I thought, meat and a change of clothes are confined to life."

    Any ideas?
    well it could be a bit different depending on context and what not, but it could mean:

    “There’s nothing better in life than some meat and fresh clothes”
    meaning after a while of doing without finally getting something to eat (meat) and something new to wear (the new set of clothes) that there is nothing better in life than that .

    http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/bin/dsearch?p...type=1&dtype=1
    かぎる【限る】

    2〔最上である〕


    ・ 辞書はこれに限る
    This is the best dictionary.


    ・ 夏は冷たいビールに限る
    In the summer there's nothing like a cold beer.


    ・ 疲れをいやすには眠るに限る
    Sleeping is the most effective way to recover from fatigue.

    As for the “yahari” you can put it in there, but I wouldn’t use “as I thought ”
    More like, man there isn’t anything better / yeah- there isn’t anything better… to be a bit more natural… but that’s me .

    Posting the chapter(or at least that particular page) would be the best way to get accurate help since a lot of the time the dialouge could change due to the context and what not
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

  3. #3
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Thanks, what would I ever do without you?
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

  4. #4
    Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by shinwei
    Thanks, what would I ever do without you?
    お役に立てて良かったです

    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

  5. #5
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Kagiru... I did not know this other usage for it! Thanks, Taylor!

    Quote Originally Posted by njt
    As for the “yahari” you can put it in there, but I wouldn’t use “as I thought ”
    More like, man there isn’t anything better / yeah- there isn’t anything better… to be a bit more natural… but that’s me .
    Yeah, "yahari"... I once saw this great translation by Nihongaeri where he had Naruto say "That's it! I've made up my mind! I can't stand you!" or something. The line was "yappari temee wa dame da! sugee mukatsuku ttebayo!" The thing is that rather than meaning "as I thought", "yahari/yappari" just implies that a previous assumption or thesis - whether yours, someone else's or conventional wisdom - was correct.

    Like when you're debating something, and you go back and forth over which is the best option, once you finally settle on it you go "yahari (kore) ga ichiban da."

    So in that line, Naruto's "yappari" means there's no longer any doubt as far as his opinion of Sai.

    So depeding on the context it can be "after all", "indeed", "Just as I thought!", or something which fits the context.

    Taylor's suggestion of "yeah" for this line looks really good to me, as "yahari" is here meant to imply that it's only natural that fresh food and fresh clothes are the best things in life.

  6. #6
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nihongaeri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Country
    United States
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by shinwei
    やはり肉と着替えは生に限るなぁ
    Tad bit liberal, but...

    "Meat and clothes changing sure do have one thing in common, they're best served raw"

    ... Ok doesn't really work all that well in English (I might actually be able to do a better translation if I knew exactly what the context was). The main culprit that prevents me from thinking of a good translation is the 生(なま). It means "raw" I suppose, but can also mean "live", as in say "live broadcast" (literally 生放送 in Japanese). So you can have say a sentence like, 音楽はやっぱり生に限る, where you're saying that music is best when heard live.

    Anyhow, the reason I want to know the context is, well, what are we talking about here? Like some perverted guy peeping on a girl as she changes clothes, all while he eats a raw steak? Hmm...

    I'm tempted to write a big long essay about やはり, its different uses, and how to translate it into English (because hell, you really can write an essay on the subject), but I need to get to bed...
    出産間近のうちの妻曰く「お産だけに、押さんといて!」
    そう。女性とは言えど見事に親父ギャグを発するのである。

  7. #7
    Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihongaeri
    Tad bit liberal, but...

    "Meat and clothes changing sure do have one thing in common, they're best served raw"

    ... Ok doesn't really work all that well in English (I might actually be able to do a better translation if I knew exactly what the context was). The main culprit that prevents me from thinking of a good translation is the 生(なま). It means "raw" I suppose, but can also mean "live", as in say "live broadcast" (literally 生放送 in Japanese). So you can have say a sentence like, 音楽はやっぱり生に限る, where you're saying that music is best when heard live.

    Anyhow, the reason I want to know the context is, well, what are we talking about here? Like some perverted guy peeping on a girl as she changes clothes, all while he eats a raw steak? Hmm...

    I'm tempted to write a big long essay about やはり, its different uses, and how to translate it into English (because hell, you really can write an essay on the subject), but I need to get to bed...
    ya- I also thought about it being nama,... but wasn't sure, so just went with life... thus me saying it "could" mean that . Then again, I just asked my wife what she thought about the sentence and she said the exact same thing that nihingaeri said... so- it more than likely means "Meat and clothes changing sure do have one thing in common, they're best served raw"

    Thanks for your help nihongaeri, and I look forward to seeing what you'll write about yahari .
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

  8. #8
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Its this kid eating a bigass animal thingy. He's not changing clothes or anything though, he's just standing on top of the bigass animal thing's body and eating it.
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

  9. #9
    Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by shinwei
    Its this kid eating a bigass animal thingy. He's not changing clothes or anything though, he's just standing on top of the bigass animal thing's body and eating it.
    ah then perhaps my translation would be right . images still would be appreciated
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

  10. #10
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    :O I want to know about "yahari"...

  11. #11
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nihongaeri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Country
    United States
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Found the manga on WinNY... ツギハギ漂流作家, right?

    "Eating meat and changing clothes, two things best when raw"

    ... Nah... Still doesn't work...

    Read the first part of the chapter, but the 着替え reference is still a little random to me. Don't have time now to read the rest, but I'll try to later...
    出産間近のうちの妻曰く「お産だけに、押さんといて!」
    そう。女性とは言えど見事に親父ギャグを発するのである。

  12. #12
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Thanks for all your help. Here's how I'm wording it:

    "Nothin' beats eatin' some raw meat after a fresh change of clothes!"
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

  13. #13
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nihongaeri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Country
    United States
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Ok... やはり and やっぱり...

    I've just thought up a few "simple" example sentences for the word for now... I'll and some more comments and translations later.


    友達が作ってくれた辛さ100倍激辛カレーを食べてみたけど、やっぱり辛すぎた。
    頑張って説得してはみたが、やっぱりダメだった。
    彼にはやはり荷が重すぎたか。
    やっぱりお代わりもらおう。


    昔圧倒的な人気を誇ったアイドルだった彼女は、歳をとった今でもやはり申し分のない美人だ。
    「人種・民族のルツボ」と称されるアメリカでもやはり、永住権がない限り、不便を強いられることが多い。
    出産間近のうちの妻曰く「お産だけに、押さんといて!」
    そう。女性とは言えど見事に親父ギャグを発するのである。

  14. #14
    Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihongaeri
    友達が作ってくれた辛さ100倍激辛カレーを食べてみたけど、やっぱり辛すぎた。
    それって・・・友達と言えるの?(笑)しかも、辛すぎって・・・もの足りなくない?もしかして、「やっぱりその味は地獄のような辛さだったので死ぬと思った」の方がいいかも(笑)(俺だけかな?辛いものは全然だめ、昨日、一昨日?んーわからないけどカレー食べたら甘い口じゃなかったから最後まで食べなかった、辛くて)

    まぁとにかく~やはりの続きは面白そう~ガンバレ日本帰り!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihongaeri
    Found the manga on WinNY... ツギハギ漂流作家, right?
    良く見つけたね
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

  15. #15
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Need some help

    Quote Originally Posted by njt
    それって・・・友達と言えるの?(笑)しかも、辛すぎって・・・もの足りなくない?もしかして、「やっぱりその味は地獄のような辛さだったので死ぬと思った」の方がいいかも(笑)(俺だけかな?辛いものは全然だめ、昨日、一昨日?んーわからないけどカレー食べたら甘い口じゃなかったから最後まで食べなかった、辛くて)
    Really? And I was hoping to one day offer you tacos with hot sauce のに...

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts