Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 587 by BadKarma , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Study Thread

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Japanese Language

hey could someone tell me what these characters are. I'm pretty sure they're hiragana but i dunno. I'm just beginning to learn this stuff.

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nihongaeri's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _reticentness
    "rita". Yes, it's hiragana.
    出産間近のうちの妻曰く「お産だけに、押さんといて!」
    そう。女性とは言えど見事に親父ギャグを発するのである。

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that.  the ri thingy looks different than the one I learned. 

I have another question.  I've figured out the sounds to this next one sort of.  but I have no idea what word or words it is. 

something else...
    and is it ok to just have a random katakana character in the middle of a bunch of hiragana?  I know it'd be ok if it were a word but it's just one character.

Jisinai

thanks for that. the ri thingy looks different than the one I learned.

I have another question. I've figured out the sounds to this next one sort of. but I have no idea what word or words it is.

something else...
    and is it ok to just have a random katakana character in the middle of a bunch of hiragana? I know it'd be ok if it were a word but it's just one character.
    いかといえば
    i-ka-to-i-e-ba

From my experience, having a single katakana character is usually just an accent. The most frequent one I say is the katakana character "ン" (n). I'd have to see it in context to let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured that much out but I'm having trouble figuring out where one word stops and another one begins. I guess I need to just go study vocabulary stuff. can someone tell me what i-ka-to-i-e-ba means. please.

Jisinai

I figured that much out but I'm having trouble figuring out where one word stops and another one begins. I guess I need to just go study vocabulary stuff. can someone tell me what i-ka-to-i-e-ba means. please.
    It really depends on the context of what it's in. It can mean a lot of things, being all hiragana.

As for finding out when words stop, you really need to study your particles, those clue you in big time on when stuff starts and stops. Kanji strings usually denote combination words and such. Practice, practice, practice.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Pazuzu's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell, I find a string of hiragana a lot more difficult to parse through than a normal sentence.

It'll all get easier when you start up with kanji. They make sentences a lot more readable. (and at the same time, less readable if you don't know them. o.O)

And yeah, you need to give more. "-i ka to ieba" needs something before it to make it make sense, otherwise it's just a trailing bit of grammar.
    Unless the sentence is something along the lines of "so right, let's assume this is squid..."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me what i-ka-to-i-e-ba means. please.
    Assuming it starts out a sentence, "Speaking of squid..." would be the most conventional translation.

Then again, it really depends on the context. It could be the somewhat idiomatic "to ieba" construction that one uses when talking about (not sure what to call it) "intrinsic association", perhaps? Something like, "ika to ieba tako", translated along the lines of, "saying 'squid' makes [me/you] think 'octopus'"...

Point is, it could really be a lot of things... Also, if this is just normal Japanese writing, there's a really good chance that "ika" doesn't mean "squid" as "ika" would quite commonly be written in katakana.

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nihongaeri
    Assuming it starts out a sentence, "Speaking of squid..." would be the most conventional translation.

Then again, it really depends on the context. It could be the somewhat idiomatic "to ieba" construction that one uses when talking about (not sure what to call it) "intrinsic association", perhaps? Something like, "ika to ieba toko", translated along the lines of, "saying 'squid' makes [me/you] think 'octopus'"...

Point is, it could really be a lot of things... Also, if this is just normal Japanese writing, there's a really good chance that "ika" doesn't mean "squid" as "ika" would quite commonly be written in katakana.
    typo my friend "tako"
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njt
    typo my friend "tako"
    Doh!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member One Eyed Sharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, thx a lot GK (and other informative persons who post here) for going through the trouble explaining these things....
    i like this educative thread.....

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eagle's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

ハイ~~イ! みんなさん 

Even if I'm a Japanese to french translator/scanlator, I'm still learning Japanese... and I think I'll always !
    I'd like to thank you all for this very interesting topic.

My parents gave me a nice present one day, a Japanese Calligraphy... I've decoded some Kanjis, but it looks like an ancient way of writing. As you are all very skilled here  can anyone help me to describe this ? i'd like to have the Kanji written if possible...

Thank you !!

Here is the thing :
    Spoiler show

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

It probably would be better to ask all Japanese questions over in "General Translation Questions" subforum in "Meet the Translators," or ask any individual translator in their threads.

Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Aka Guymelef's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mysterious Japanese

As we discuss with Njt, this thread is dedicated to all the rare, creepy or hard japanese that you find in your translator's life. Words, expression or sentence construction are accepted, all that cannot be easily found . I begin myself with some abbreviation that I found in Genshiken.

As you may know in Japanese Schools, clubs are making an important part of the students life. Here some of clubs abbreviation that appears in the manga Genshiken.

現視研[げんしけん] : abbreviation of 現代視覚文化[げんだいしかくぶんか] which means "The society for the study of modern visual culture". This club is dedicated to gather the sutdy of manga, anime, game, in an nutshell, all Otaku's passion

漫研[まんけん] : manga club ; abbreviation of 漫画研究会[まんがけんきゅうかい] which means "The society for the study of manga"

アニ研[あにけん] : anime club ; abbreviation of アニム研究会[あにむけんきゅうかい] which means "The society for the study of anime"

I'll put also another abbreviation that use the author :

都産貿[とさんぼう] : abbreviation of 都立産業貿易センター[とりつさんぎょうぼうえきせんたー] which means "Municipal center of the foreign trade industry" (check, bad english >.<). It should be in Tôkyô but I can't say if this place really exists. The author said that this place is generally used to display and sale new Dôjinshi (同人誌即売会によく使われる)
    Because Hinata just rocks

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

As a side note, to clear what someone mentioned. A small history lesson.

(Note: This is what I've heard, some things could be wrong.)
    Hiragana was originally created as a way to allow women to write. Men were required to write in only kanji. At some point a man actually masqueraded as a woman to write a novel with hiragana in it which became famous. (One of the first Japanese novels in fact, if I'm right he wrote the Genji Story.)

Things like that happened and eventually Japan adopted the kanji and hiragana/katakana style they have today.

This is what I've heard, not sure if it is 100% historically accurate by the way. Japanese TV gives out so much info it gets jumbled in my head.
    サクラ対戦たのしいなぁ。

New Reply
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast