Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Study Thread

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Japanese Language

Thanks for that, Hanabi. Yeah, the Tales of Genji. You're right, it was a very interesting fact.

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

For those wondering about the JLPT

A friend tipped me off to a site that has a bunch of practice tests (8 old tests of all 4 grades) plus some study stuff scanned. So I thought I'd let you know about them to see if you'd like to try them out / see what they are like.

Enjoy
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rikki-Tikki-Tavi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those wondering about the JLPT

Thanks.

Also thanks for the hilarious frogs. *rofl*
    Ask Me
    Rikki-Tikki-Tavi Translations™ are trusted by major scanlators.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
    Thanks.

Also thanks for the hilarious frogs. *rofl*
    haha no prob, find more here
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=816.0
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

AyaK

emm, Hi! xD

I'm new here.. and I was looking for somewhere I could present myself but I'm a lil' bit lost by now :_D

First of all, I'm spanish and I've been studing japanese for 4 years (I've been in Japan, have some japanese friends, etc.) And I make the corrections for a bleach spanish fansub.

well, now I'll comment this.

I read all the posts and found very interesting the detailed information everybody gave. I new the history of japanese but not that much.

I wanted to ask something. Since in Spain there's an oficial national exam (done in Barcelona and once a year) called "nihongo nouryoku shiken", I suppose it's the same in other countries, isn't it? :\

I would like to add that there are around 50.000 kanji (if we count old, and new, the majority are not used today). And a person needs to know about 3.000 kanji to be able to read a newspaper xD *that hurts*

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted destinator's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

3000 to read a newspaper >_>? i think japanese is a kinda interesting language i am currently try to learn it but i have no time at the moment but what i have seen so far looks pretty interesting. japanese seems to be a lot about learning because you need to know the kanji, spoken expression of it and the translation. what i find very useful is that some kanjis look like their meaning for example forest = 林. and that similiar kanjis also lead to the meaning for example 木(wood/tree) and 本(book, which consists of wood xD ). next step is to look at the grammar but kanjis are more interesting at the moment

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

こんばんわ、みんなーさん!!!

私はひらがなとカタカナが読みます。。。でも、漢字はむりです。。。

私の日本語はあまり良いじゃありません。。。四月間、大学に勉強しました。。。

今はアルタービスターのトランスレーターで私を助けた。。。

私の名前はヂルガです。。。どうぞよろしく。。。

translation (although pretty useless coz i think most people here can read it? and i don't even know if i wrote it correctly or not...)

good night, everyone!

I read hiragana and katakana, but kanji is hopeless..
    My japanese is not really good... 4 months, i learnt it in university...
    now, i was helped by altavista's translator..
    my name is Dirga, how do you do...
    ========================================================
    i really sucked at Japanese...learning it for 4 months...introductory level...
    i gave up on kanji long time ago..even before starting the course...
    i had real difficulty remembering 20 each week for tests...
    we learnt about 70 kanjis during our introductory level...
    i really think that kanji is not necessary for business purposes...
    possibly after i graduate from master, i start learning japanese again, but speech only...

uh, i had an argument with my gf before...
    is it 大学に勉強しました (daigaku ni benkyou shimashita -- studied in university) or 大学で勉強しました (daigaku de benkyou shimashita -- studied at university)? which one is the correct/more proper one?
    Our Bot, who art in IRC, hallowed be thy nick. Thy xdcc come, Thy send be accepted, on our script as it is in normal mIRC. Give us this day our daily manga, and forgive us our leechings. As we forgive n00bs who pestered us a lot. Do not lead us into downtime, but deliver us from Yaoi. AMEN

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HisshouBuraiKen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bitchin!

今年こそ二級に合格してみせるぜ! (去年は休みだった)

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nihongaeri's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hisshouburaiken
    今年こそ二級に合格してせるぜ!
    「むせて」どないすんねん!(悪ぃ、ツッコミを我慢できへんかった。)
    出産間近のうちの妻曰く「お産だけに、押さんといて!」
    そう。女性とは言えど見事に親父ギャグを発するのである。

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nihongaeri
    (悪ぃ、ツッコミを我慢できへんかった。)
    That's the first time (er that I can recall) Seeing kansaiben conjugated

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njt
    That's the first time (er that I can recall) Seeing kansaiben conjugated
    Up, lots of interesting conjugation...

共通語 --> 大阪弁
    買って --> こうて
    買った --> こうた
    買わない --> かわへん、かわん
    買わなかった --> かわへんかった
    買わなくてもいい --> かわんでもええ

It's actually fairly regular, so once you pick upon the rules it's a piece of cake.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Up, lots of interesting conjugation...

共通語 --> 大阪弁
    買って --> こうて
    買った --> こうた
    買わない --> かわへん、かわん
    買わなかった --> かわへんかった
    買わなくてもいい --> かわんでもええ

It's actually fairly regular, so once you pick upon the rules it's a piece of cake.
    actually now that I think about it, I have heard it quite a bit by ダウンタウン. though かわへんかった was the first time I've seen it and really thought it to be weird

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njt
    actually now that I think about it, I have heard it quite a bit by ダウンタウン. though かわへんかった was the first time I've seen it and really thought it to be weird
    Yeah... Not all that uncommon to hear on TV. ダウンタウン, etc...

The only thing that I though was really weird the first time I heard it was something like かった being こうた in 関西弁, but it's not really all that different from "regular" Japanese in the end. It's actually become more like 共通語 with younger generations, whereas something like それやのうて(それじゃなくて) may now just be said as それやなくて. Interesting thing is, if you've ever wondered where おはよう comes from, it's from 関西弁 adjective conjugation just like that...

But I speak too much, forgive me.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... Not all that uncommon to hear on TV. ダウンタウン, etc...

The only thing that I though was really weird the first time I heard it was something like かった being こうた in 関西弁, but it's not really all that different from "regular" Japanese in the end. It's actually become more like 共通語 with younger generations, whereas something like それやのうて(それじゃなくて) may now just be said as それやなくて. Interesting thing is, if you've ever wondered where おはよう comes from, it's from 関西弁 adjective conjugation just like that...

But I speak too much, forgive me.
    haha, well the dialect around here, used to end everything with むし
    そうでむし it was taken from 申す but gradually became むし

ah- 田舎 is great

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karasu
    uh, i had an argument with my gf before...
    is it 大学に勉強しました (daigaku ni benkyou shimashita -- studied in university) or 大学で勉強しました (daigaku de benkyou shimashita -- studied at university)? which one is the correct/more proper one?
    Unfortunately (?) your girlfriend is right on this one. Although, you probably shouldn't feel too bad. If you google 大学に勉強 you'll find that a great number of the hits you get are of foreigners making the exact same mistake.[br]Posted at: April 17, 2006, 10:22:07 PM_________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by AyaK
    I wanted to ask something. Since in Spain there's an oficial national exam (done in Barcelona and once a year) called "nihongo nouryoku shiken", I suppose it's the same in other countries, isn't it? :
    The 日本語能力試験 (aka the "Japanese Language Proficiency Test", or JLPT, in English), is held all around the world. The English site is here: http://www.jees.or.jp/jlpt/en/index.htm[br]Posted at: April 17, 2006, 10:27:57 PM_________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by destinator
    3000 to read a newspaper >_>?
    Well, it's not as bad as it may sound... And for newspapers, they actually usually stick to the 1945 kanji defined by the so-called "jouyou kanji hyou" ("common use kanji list")... And even if you're only able to read a little over a thousand of the most common characters, that's more than enough to be able to derive at least some degree of meaningful understanding out of a newspaper article. In the end it's actually overall vocabulary/grammar knowledge that ends up being a bigger impediment on an individual's ability to read a newspaper or other printed material. There's TONS of words that I have absolutely no problem *reading* in Japanese, but only have a vague understanding of what they mean.

New Reply
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast