Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Do you like dorms?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

16 37.21%
  • Yes.

27 62.79%
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dormitories, yay or nay?

MH's Peacemaker 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Leen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dormitories, yay or nay?

Dorm is good only if it is cheap. Unfortunately for my school, it is not. So I vote for no.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity lordHokage's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Dormitories, yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatake View Post
    NO. I hate dorm life =/ I moved into mine 2.5 weeks ago, it's hot as hell, the bathroom's gross, my roommate is CONSTANTLY on the phone, usually with her boyfriend, people are really really loud in the hallway and nearby rooms, especially at night, and they're having a bleeding NUDE PARTY tonight :/

HELL.
    I have lived in dorms with far worse conditions. Dorm living is an experience you will never forget. I recommend all perspective college students to live in the dorms.

You truly deserve the title of Yondaime Hokage

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i voted yes......i was very lucky in my 2 years of dorm experience. first of all, the window screens were supposed to be locked in place, but somehow my screen was broken. that allowed us to put an air conditioner in. thus, i was never really subjected to the hell-like temperatures that are typical of the first few weeks of school. also, my potluck roommate was awesome. we're still friends! i also lived on an academic floor, so most of my floormates were really serious about studying all the time. i didn't have to worry about loud music so much or anything like that when i was trying to sleep. i actually did most of my studying and spent most of my time on one of the guys' floors in my dorm. there was definitely always something going on with those crazy guys. i feel like i had a good balance of studying and random shenanigans over there. whenever i was tired, i could always go back to my nice, quiet floor to sleep.

all in all, it was good times. even though you might have a slightly different experience than mine, i recommend to all new college students to stay in a dorm for at least one year and then move off-campus. i wouldn't have met nearly as many people if i hadn't stayed in a dorm. honestly, living off-campus is definitely better, but dorm life is something everyone should experience. i also recommend to go potluck on your roommate. i know of quite a few people that roomed with friends and are now not on good terms. living with someone is soooo much different than just being friends, trust me....

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity nat's Avatar
    Country
    Bermuda
    Post Thanks / Like

The dorm where I lived was Amazing, It was big and had a part that was hotel for tourists and stuff.

Before 8am and After 11 pm by strict rules there was no noise. They had many activities and there was a lot of freedom and sense of comunity, like a small city. And the people I met there are Amazing. I was lucky to have a double-height room (really big) with a private bathroom, there was a roomate. It was more like a Hotel, with students. ahh, I wanna go back....

So I vote Definately Yes based on my experience.
    If you hate Sasuke, click here

Tricked you

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I've finished my year in the dorm, I still hated it :/ I spent most of my time away if possible xD I guess it just depends on the dorm you have, and the kind of people around you. Yes, I do think freshman should try it, if only to make friends and get the feeling of living away from home. However, my experience was an unlucky one that got worse and worse, and resulted in my moving out 3 weeks early and commuting the last few weeks of class/finals. (Psycho-bitch roommate, to say in the least) The dorm itself kind of grew on me, it was nice having everything I needed in arm's reach xD my fridge was right beside my bed/desk, and one of my new best friends was literally right across the hall =)

I'm back :3

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member EvilGenious's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hated the dorms....they were expensive! It's was much cheaper for me to live off campus than a dorm. The only downfall of me living off campus was that I had to work. Sharing a bathroom with 20 other girls was a b!tch. And on weekends, when most of the students go out and party, they would always come back drunk and noisy. I can't remember how many confrontations that my roommate had with some of those girls (I liked my roommate, she was fun!) that I had to get in the middle of.

We were only required to live in the dorms one year, freshman year, unless you were married, had children, or a commuter. I had a friend though that went to another school that was require to live in them for 3-4 years...

Sorry for my rant...I am glad that I am out of college...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i've lived on campus for all four years due to my scholarship and i really liked it. it was actually cheaper than some places off campus and it was really convenient to all the buildings where my classes took place. i made a lot of my friends there and it was nice that all i had to do was walk upstairs/down the hall to see them. plus i didn't have to worry about paying for bills which is a plus and the dining halls provided me with meals.

i've never really had a problem with living/sharing the bathroom with a bunch of girls which is probably the result of my university's limiting the number of girls on each floor. noise is a problem every so often but i dealt with it.

did everyone live in same-sex dorms or co-ed? mine was the latter with alternating floors for girls and boys which was nice.

credit to the amazing GrayFoxx for this amazing sig ^.~

suffer school withdrawal with rb

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours are all co-ed at Old Dominion University. Suites are same sex, but you'd have a girls suite right next to a guys' (Suite = 2 people per room, 2 rooms connected by a tiny bathroom)

I'm back :3

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the particular dorm i lived in at indiana university had 2 towers: 1 for girls and 1 for guys. pretty hardcore separation, right? it actually used to be an all-girl dorm (historically nicknamed the "virgin vault" ), but turned co-ed before i lived there. however, i think this was the only dorm on campus like that at the time and has since went all co-ed (alternating floors, i think). IU is actually a quite liberal campus. most of the other dorms are either alternating floors or co-ed throughout.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    the particular dorm i lived in at indiana university had 2 towers: 1 for girls and 1 for guys. pretty hardcore separation, right? it actually used to be an all-girl dorm (historically nicknamed the "virgin vault" ), but turned co-ed before i lived there. however, i think this was the only dorm on campus like that at the time and has since went all co-ed (alternating floors, i think). IU is actually a quite liberal campus. most of the other dorms are either alternating floors or co-ed throughout.
    well, from a conservative point of view, if you're a conservative parent it's uncomfortable reconciling with the idea that your daughter will be with a bunch of guys in a similar living situation, and vice versa..so that's the idea behind it. Not because conservatives are hardcore segregationists.

The fact that universities are almost universally co-ed nationally, gives conservatives little options as to accepting what little choice they have on the matter.

Not that I have anything against co-ed campuses. In fact, I enjoyed living in a co-ed dorm.

It's a great experience, you meet people, you learn how to deal with people you don't necessarily would get along in the first place, and that's what life is about. You put yourself in unfamiliar territory and you just learn to adapt to it, and that's part of growing up.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I avoided dorm life like the plague. Tons of freshman ripe for the picking by whatever teacher could sink their claws into them and fill their heads with their view of the world.

Apartment all the way if you can afford it.

Distance learning was soooo much better. I didn't have to listen to 18 and 19 year olds parroting whatever clever bit of information their favorite Prof had told them.

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

dorms at Notre Dame were very nice...especially O'Neill

except for that whole non co-ed thing...

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think dorms are fine, so I say yey.

Although I suppose it depends on where you are and the type of dorm.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends, but I tend to like it to due to freedom. If I live with annoying people, then yeah, I'll feel rage.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been in a dorm before. But based from my college friends who stayed in dorms, they were all very happy because of the freedom they experience. I kind of feel envious of them. So I say, I approve of dorms. xD

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast