Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Claymore databook translation

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner DragoZERO's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: claymore databook translation

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Maybe you will find them useful DragoZERO, assuming you will find someone willing to translate it. Maybe there will be someone who knows Chinese who could do it?
    Maybe MiB would like to work on it with me now that they have no future chapters to do?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore databook translation

That would depend on Gernot. Whether he would be willing to translate it (although I would have to find complete raws for that first, not Chinese scanlations). Somehow I doubt it, it's rather bothersome thing to translate (walls of text about technicalities) and he doesn't have a lot of time to spend (hence you see him only translating Claymore despite being such a good translator). I think we could be more lucky with zzhk maybe or someone else who knows Chinese (Tom Bombadil for example).

As for me, as I've written to you earlier, mine and Piggy's skills suck (especially mine). I'm a noob when it comes to scanlating. I can typeset but cleaning is out of my league. Compare 7th page from the raw and from my scanlation. Almost no difference. The same goes for page 14 in a raw and page 14 in my scanlation, I bet that no one even saw the difference. The truth is, if we wouldn't get such clean raws (where even double pages are joined for us) our scanlations would suck even more (and much more). But I am willing to help as best as I can as long as you're not expecting that I have the same skills as you do (or any skills for that matter ;P).

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Claymore databook translation

try asking the MH facebook crew...maybe someone on there could help you guys out.

"While many can pursue their dreams in solitude, other dreams are like great storms blowing hundreds, even thousands of dreams apart in their wake. Dreams breathe life into men and can cage them in suffering. Men live and die by their dreams. But long after they have been abandoned they still smolder deep in men's hearts. Some see nothing more than life and death. They are dead, for they have no dreams."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That would depend on Gernot. Whether he would be willing to translate it (although I would have to find complete raws for that first, not Chinese scanlations). Somehow I doubt it, it's rather bothersome thing to translate (walls of text about technicalities) and he doesn't have a lot of time to spend (hence you see him only translating Claymore despite being such a good translator). I think we could be more lucky with zzhk maybe or someone else who knows Chinese (Tom Bombadil for example).

As for me, as I've written to you earlier, mine and Piggy's skills suck (especially mine). I'm a noob when it comes to scanlating. I can typeset but cleaning is out of my league. Compare 7th page from the raw and from my scanlation. Almost no difference. The same goes for page 14 in a raw and page 14 in my scanlation, I bet that no one even saw the difference. The truth is, if we wouldn't get such clean raws (where even double pages are joined for us) our scanlations would suck even more (and much more). But I am willing to help as best as I can as long as you're not expecting that I have the same skills as you do (or any skills for that matter ;P).
    It's very easy to clean and typeset these and I can teach you guys. I have the good Japanese raws. And Gernot can do it slowly, I'm in no rush and no one else will be taking on this project.
    Let me show you two of the pages that I have done...
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

5. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it doesn't look like we will ever have any databook translated into English, here's one page that I was able to scanlate thanks to Dza9000's translation:

I've added original .txt file that Dza9000 has sent me in hopes that someone could proofread it and check the accuracy of the translation. particularly, I don't get why there is "commerce" in B-01 section. I've also made some proofreading myself so it's possible that I've made it worse than it was (who -> whose, soldier -> warrior and few other things like that, nothing major) so I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions and most of all help :].

Oh, and I didn't know who to credit for the raw so I've left it uncredited. It looks exactly the same as Chinese version I have so if someone knows who I should credit, please let me know.

Edit: Just so you know, some words are in bold+italic to emphasize that this particular term has it's own section in the Databook. In the original it was strange version of rectangular brackets.

And about Databooks I've written more here: http://mibscanlations.blogspot.com/2...-1-page-4.html

I hope that DragoZERO will publish pages his group did (and he has lots of them).
    Last edited by Goral; August 11, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot partially done... not many fully complete.

http://claymoredata.wordpress.com/20.../pages-1-3-11/

9. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone still continuing with the project? I'm not much of a translator myself since I have little to no experience, but I want to help out what I can, too.
    While I can access the Chinese scans, I might prefer the Japanese which I couldn't access.
    Where is everyone up to in terms of progress? Regardless I will be starting with Databook 3 since there's quite a bit of work to be done and I don't want to waste effort in what has already been done in Databook 1, which seems to be the focus of most of you guys

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, although I've been able to find scan-lated versions of every single chapter within the whole series, after 3 or so years, not a single completed databook has been successfully or at least accurately translated.
    If any partial sections have been done, could you find some links and gather them into a single post?
    Through almost the entirety of the links that were provided here (all with mediafire.com etc etc) most were deleted, invalid, or missing links that no longer had any downloadable files.

These databooks generally clear up a lot of questions but I can't find a single one after hours of scouring the web qq

I do know quite a bit of Chinese so I can set to work on a few pages with my spare/free time.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Yes, although I've been able to find scan-lated versions of every single chapter within the whole series, after 3 or so years, not a single completed databook has been successfully or at least accurately translated.
    If any partial sections have been done, could you find some links and gather them into a single post?
    Through almost the entirety of the links that were provided here (all with mediafire.com etc etc) most were deleted, invalid, or missing links that no longer had any downloadable files.

These databooks generally clear up a lot of questions but I can't find a single one after hours of scouring the web qq

I do know quite a bit of Chinese so I can set to work on a few pages with my spare/free time.
    Hey that'd be great! Oh by the way have you checked out this link?
    http://mibscanlations.blogspot.co.uk...databooks.html

The links to the Chinese version are working, although the Japanese one is dead.

Would you mind being my translating buddy? Hehe :P
    It's nice to know someone can correct your mistake/give you advice/work alongside you/suggest better translation etc etc and I can undoubtedly reassure you it's motivating At the least it will be for me.
    I've started working on the third Databook instead already since I have very little idea of the progress made in the first Databook, and I don't want to repeat the effort if somebody hass done it already. In any case, as far as I can tell, this thread here has compiled most of the pages that have been done.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@Utsune
    Here's Japanese version that I've re-uploaded: https://www.box.com/s/etkjvdqlk9eaf5esqiox

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@Utsune
    Here's Japanese version that I've re-uploaded: https://www.box.com/s/etkjvdqlk9eaf5esqiox
    This is incredibly helpful Goral, thank you ^^

---------- Post added February 18, 2013 at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was February 16, 2013 at 06:27 AM ----------

Hi all. Below is the translation for the first few pages of the 3rd Databook.
    This is my first time 'properly' doing translation work, and because my English is somewhat limited, please throw at me any advice and criticism you can think of, make them hurt! lol
    I should have made the translation very clear in terms of word implications, so that any of you can potentially correct my English or even rephrasing stuff without changing the meaning.
    Anything inside curly brackets { } are pointers, Translator's Notes, alternative, suggestion for alternatives, or the likes.
    I've begun working on the next couple of pages that give some interesting insights into Alicia and Beth. I could be slow because of other work, but I do this on the basis of 'slowly but surely,' so please don't fret and wait for it :P

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Utsune; February 21, 2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: The MH text editor took away my spaces :( and bits and bobs

18. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, tons of thanks for this . I think that no other translator has translated as much databook text as you. Awesome.

Few things stand out:

- According to Databooks MiB realized that Priscilla is freakingly strong. So it's strange that none of them thought about her when Dae asked whose arm it might be (before he specifically asked about former #1s).

- Isley was a complete loser. Having such versatile body he couldn't defeat AEs, that's really lame on Yagi's part. Instead we got Cassandra who can only eat dirt.

- Yagi has indirectly confirmed what I've been saying for years, i.e. there is a huge gap between #1 and below.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, tons of thanks for this . I think that no other translator has translated as much databook text as you. Awesome.

Few things stand out:

- According to Databooks MiB realized that Priscilla is freakingly strong. So it's strange that none of them thought about her when Dae asked whose arm it might be (before he specifically asked about former #1s).

- Isley was a complete loser. Having such versatile body he couldn't defeat AEs, that's really lame on Yagi's part. Instead we got Cassandra who can only eat dirt.

- Yagi has indirectly confirmed what I've been saying for years, i.e. there is a huge gap between #1 and below.
    I hate to admit but lol "that's really lame on Yagi's part" probably nails it. Would've liked to see more of him I feel Yagi kinda made the last of him by simply having Helen and Deneve say "damn he's that strong even when he's injured!?" during the Abyssal Eater saga, but now that I think about it, Luciela didn't get that much of the spotlight either. Riful's stands out to be so much more important in the main series. To be honest, I'd like to see the other two in extra scenes like the posts in the other thread has suggested.

I noticed the Priscilla point when translating, too, during which I was wondering if it were Audrey, who might have been half-conscious at the time, to report it (that Riful turned back after seeing Priscilla.) The Org certainly notices Priscilla to be somewhat a threat, but only as someone who was a warrior with the potential to rival No.1 and nothing more than that mere 'potential.' Instead, they were cautious of her mainly because she was with Isley as suggested here.

---------- Post added February 20, 2013 at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was February 18, 2013 at 05:56 PM ----------

Important! please at least read the ☆ed bit before going onto the spoiler tag

Below is the translation for the next few pages in Databook 3. A few bits indirectly confirm some of our suspicions, but I'll leave it for you to read and judge :P For those who missed my last post, you can find the previous parts here:

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...32#post3307232

EDIT: or just scroll up two posts lol. This thread is quiet .___.

I have decided against sticking this to my post before because it's not yet finalized, and it makes it so much easier for me to fix mistakes, if any.

The usual applies: please dish out as much criticisms, pointers, and advice as you would like (especially grammar-related and phrasing,) there is no need to be kind about it at all lol. Although I would say it's more or less okay, it would be nice if it could be 'officially' proof-read. As far as I can tell, the Chinese scans are mostly implicatively accurate with the exception of one or two questionable places, so if you know Chinese, feel free to use them as a basis of translation criticism as well.

I notice several typos I made in Japanese as I was typing up the thing (I was touch-typing while copying up the Japanese how cool is that) There could be more. But I don't think it's much of a problem ^^;

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆ ★☆★☆★☆★☆★ ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
    Stuff inside curly brackets { } = my input/notes. Also, for most places with the term 精神 I've used the word 'mind,' I suppose 'spirit' could be an alternative as well. 'Heart,' 'spirit,' 'mind,' they're all on fluffy grounds. You get what I mean :P

Things like 精神共有, I call it 'mind-sharing,' but I suspect this is the term previous translators have dubbed 'soul-link' instead, though I'm not 100% sure because I don't have the raws they worked on to compare with. So please keep that in mind. (If someone could confirm to me, then I can edit my bits to make things more consistent.)

EDIT: Yup, Soul-linking it is↑

Another term quite outstanding: 妖力: Youriki. Strength/power specifically relating to youma. Probably implying a strength based on Youki. I've never seen this word being used in any existing translation for Claymore, so I suppose translators have simply used the word 'strength/power' in place of that. However, here they are clearly not saying youki release, nor do they say the release of 'normal' power. So I've kept the word 'youriki' in there for good measure.

Last one I can think of from the top of my head: 人間の心, or words to that effect. Human heart. Soul. Humanity. I don't know. I love philosophy but this is a bit too much to handle lol.

EDIT: The term 同調 I've translated to 'Alignment,' but I think in some chapters such as the ones Gernot did, he used 'synchronization' instead. As far as I'm concerned, they more or less mean the same thing. But I've stuck with 'Alignment' here because I personally feel biased towards this translation for the term 同調. Maybe it's a kinda psychological thing I've been brought up with, dunno.

Also, 'homogeneous' means 'same' or 'uniform.' The term I translated from is 同質. This is not quite the same meaning as 'alignment' from what I think the Databook suggests.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆ ★☆★☆★☆★☆★ ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Just under a third of the way through. The next two pages after this will be about the Organization's suspicion towards the half-awakened. However, having only just took a quick look at Databook 2, it seems there are quite a lot of interesting information involved (I kinda should have seen that coming lol.) Since my goal is in reinforcing our certainty in lore knowledge as a community, I might prioritize in translating that, before finishing up this one

Anyways, sorry for the long message. I'm merely desperately trying to excuse my inexperience in translating ^^; Continuing on with Databook 3:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Utsune; February 21, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

22. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can tell (based on Gernot's translation of chapter 107) the word used for soul-link is this: 精神同調
    And this 精神共有 is sth different and calling it mind sharing is the most accurate thing.

As for the word youriki, Gernot has used it on several occasions (most recently in chapter 133 but it goes back to his earliest translations).

In case you have some doubts his translation can be useful since he transliterates everything.

Oh, and thank you for translating this. For some reason no one was willing to do it, even when Claymore was way more popular than it is now.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

How did they know that Alicia and Beth were exceptionally talented if they were only infants? It seems unlikely that they've waited for them to grow up and become Claymores due to their doing since we've never seen any other twins except shrimp twins. After all they wouldn't know how talented they were until they would grow up and until hybrydization process would be commenced (since physical traits as a human have no significance - Priscilla or Riful being weak little girls proves it). And otherwise we would see some more Claymore twins (it would be a complete waste to discard Claymores just because they were weaker than Alicia and Beth).

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can tell (based on Gernot's translation of chapter 107) the word used for soul-link is this: 精神同調
    And this 精神共有 is sth different and calling it mind sharing is the most accurate thing.

As for the word youriki, Gernot has used it on several occasions (most recently in chapter 133 but it goes back to his earliest translations).

In case you have some doubts his translation can be useful since he transliterates everything.

Oh, and thank you for translating this. For some reason no one was willing to do it, even when Claymore was way more popular than it is now.

Welcome ^^

In fact, thank you so much for the clarifications Goral, I would never have been able to find that (I still find it really confusing getting around the site lol.) I will keep in mind of the term for soul-link, too.

I see. Hmm I can see for the term 同調, he uses 'synchronization,' whereas I use 'alignment' (I remember seeing it from some of the older chapters.) They are probably synonymous, right? I think I will go back to change it, sticking with Gernot's version. And a definite yes to taking Gernot's translations as my pillar of reference, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Actually for now I'll keep alignment, since that term has been used in the manga before anyways, and more importantly to distinguish it from the word 'synchronization' in the Databook. I'm sure they mean the same, but there's a place where they use シンクロ which is actually pronounced "Shin-ku-ro," lol so yeah. For now anyways, until I make up my mind.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

How did they know that Alicia and Beth were exceptionally talented if they were only infants? It seems unlikely that they've waited for them to grow up and become Claymores due to their doing since we've never seen any other twins except shrimp twins. After all they wouldn't know how talented they were until they would grow up and until hybrydization process would be commenced (since physical traits as a human have no significance - Priscilla or Riful being weak little girls proves it). And otherwise we would see some more Claymore twins (it would be a complete waste to discard Claymores just because they were weaker than Alicia and Beth).
    I noticed, too. The Databook seems to suggest they 'harvest' twins from a lot of families, but picking out the most suitable ones (A&B). As far as I can tell, there is only one place that gives us a further clue:

対象の双生児には幼児期に同じ妖魔の血肉を使った半人半妖化が施され、早期からの訓練が徹底的に行われた。
    The twins for the experiment were given the same Youma flesh in proceeding with their half-human half-Youma transformation, thenceforth commencing extensive training from the early days.

I can see two possibilities from this sentence alone (disregarding other events outside of this statement.) They can either tell how strong they are once they brought the twins back to the Org (and do some testing on them, maybe) or they can tell how strong they are once they receive the Youma flesh and blood. Whatever that suggests... :/
    Last edited by Utsune; February 20, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

26. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast