Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does Urahara use shinigami power while human?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How does Urahara use shinigami power while human?

I have never seen him get out of a gigai. So how is it that Urahara can use shinigami powers while human?
    Is it b/c his gigai is special? I mean he is really smart so thats a possibility right?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How does Urahara use shinigami power while human?

Quote Originally Posted by GX255 View Post
    I have never seen him get out of a gigai. So how is it that Urahara can use shinigami powers while human?
    Is it b/c his gigai is special? I mean he is really smart so thats a possibility right?
    Well first of all you should know that it's never been stated that he is in a Gigai. I mean the thing is what's restricting him passage back into Soul Society may not be on his body, but rather than his soul. Secondly Urahara isn't just smart, he's a genius. He was the first commander and chief of R&D in Soul Society, so it's not out of possibility that allows him to use his Zanpakuto in human form.

Something you should know, shinigami powers arent restricted when working within a Gigai. Kidous and Hadous are still usable, the only thing that they cant do is use Zanpakutous or their spiritual strength, where as they are limited to human strength
    "If God made us in his image, then he must be very Fugly"

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impel Down's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't he just look the same in his gigai as he does in his regular body? I mean, this is the same thing with the Vaizard, since they're wearing street clothes with their zanpaktou all the time.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OrangeRat's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When the arrancar attacked the second time the shinigami all had their swords while still in their gigai.

Also, has any normal human ever seen Urahara?
    GREEN, Your death's colour is Green. Death of the mind. Your heart is isolated within your mind. You seek knowledge. You are very rare.

Others' lifes is your salvation. Listening to people's problems is your way to escape reality. You have an extraordinary wonderful soul, but this soul is carrying the whole world in its shoulders. With your understanding restless nature, you are constantly looking for answers. ~~I carry the whole world on my shoulders~~

My To-Draw List
    Spoiler show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member smellyCheese's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, this is a really good one, how is this possible?

Urahara is such a strange guy, and the vizards, we seriously need some more info on these people. they have no mention of anything like soul candy, gigai (-apart from ones he made..)
    yet they are still able to function like shinigamis.. while attending to school-(shinji)?
    -="In the land of the blind, one eyed man is the king"=-

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Shinji WAS wearing different clothes when he was at the school, so maybe his gigai just looks like how he actually looks like? Seems to be that way for Kisuke as well.

And as to whether or not humans have seen him, I dunno. No one goes to their shop, as Jinta says, so maybe not.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Richo's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smellyCheese View Post
    wow, this is a really good one, how is this possible?

Urahara is such a strange guy, and the vizards, we seriously need some more info on these people. they have no mention of anything like soul candy, gigai (-apart from ones he made..)
    yet they are still able to function like shinigamis.. while attending to school-(shinji)?
    i do recall shinji being the only person being able to go to school, i remember hiyori saying that. it is a fact that the vaizards were former shinigami so they probably have some form off soul candy/gigai from when they were shinigami.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he is using his gigai, otherwise his decoy gigas wouldn't really work that well in combat now would they o_O; The way I see it is that either
    A. Shinigami can use a bit more of their powers in gigas then we were lead to believe
    or
    B. Urahara's gigai is something special, after all we only know a few of his inventions, who knows what sort of changes he could have made to his own personal gigai.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why he, without a gigai, can't just change his clothes. The black shinigami robes are just that: robes. You can take them off and put on other things.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRat View Post
    Also, has any normal human ever seen Urahara?
    I think not really. Well he was at the park when the gillian came out and the people around them were remarking how "those" people must be putting on a skit or something. So maybe normal people could see Urahara.

(Please read from right to left.)

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member macherie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this is quite an interesting topic, i think having been the Captain of Research and Development, in addition to being a genius, he has figured a way to be able to use his shinigami powers. Although having watched and read the manga chapter/episode of his small fight with Yami, he does say he was using a Gigai.. but hmm not too sure. I think he's just figured a way to use his powers without having to switch.
    人きりの悲しみは何処に行けば消える
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

He has definately devised a way to make use of shinigami power. Considering he's the Science department captain, he's probably got a bunch of weird inventions.
    PokehMon

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OrangeRat's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by segua View Post
    I think not really. Well he was at the park when the gillian came out and the people around them were remarking how "those" people must be putting on a skit or something. So maybe normal people could see Urahara.

Actually, Keigo only saw Ururu, Jinta, and Tessai when he talked about it later to Ichigo. (Ch. 51, they're in his speech bubble.)

Though Tessai is over 200 years old (the last time he heard the name "Quincy), and has super strength, so the question of Urahara wearing a gigai is the same with him.l
    Last edited by OrangeRat; September 16, 2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    GREEN, Your death's colour is Green. Death of the mind. Your heart is isolated within your mind. You seek knowledge. You are very rare.

Others' lifes is your salvation. Listening to people's problems is your way to escape reality. You have an extraordinary wonderful soul, but this soul is carrying the whole world in its shoulders. With your understanding restless nature, you are constantly looking for answers. ~~I carry the whole world on my shoulders~~

My To-Draw List
    Spoiler show

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Vegetoacs's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he's always in soul form, based solely on his fight with yammy.

Note that he kept switching in and out of his portable gigai as a method of confusing yammy into believing his storm of bala blasts was hitting him. To do that, he would have had to be in soul form.

That he doesnt wear shinigami robes isnt really pertinent I think. We've seen the captains during the SS arc change clothes, and even mention of shinigami clothing and accessories shops within the databook. Unohana and aizen were both seen wearing different robes when they were "off-duty", and mention was made of Renji spending vast amounts of his paycheck to buy those funky visor like glasses that he wore early on in the series. While, we've never gone into shinigami economics, i think it's safe to say soul society works like any other society, just that the seretei is in the business of regulating life and death.

So to come back to the topic point, I think it's safe to say urahara is in soul form most of the time, but that doesnt mean he doesnt have a gigai or two around should he need to interact with humans.

What i find more strange than this is for someone who was exiled and is pretty much considered to be a criminal in soul society...soul society sure deals with him a lot. I noticed this in the series where quite often they used his shop as a base of operations, as well as query him about quite a few things, given his vast knowledge.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Musashi_Keiji's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

There's 2 ways i see Uruhara's and the Vizard's situation regarding gigai:

1. Plot hole due to bad story writing by the mangaka.... I don't think highly of him for many reasons i wont state here. But I think this is quite the possibility. Mangakas are not perfect in their writing. Akira Toriyama destroyed the moon twice in dragonball, 2nd time he admits he forgot he had done so already in the story. Many times i've noticed that authors will limit the or exaggerate certain powers that later in the series seem like a common almost unimpressive thing. Such as the flash step in Bleach or powering up in DBZ. Plot hole that is yet to be filled is what i think is more likely.

2. As many have said Urahara was the first R&D head and extremely smart. He was smart enough to create and then conceal that device in rukia. It's easily possible for him to have created special gigai or devices that allow him more power/priveldge outside of SS.
    As for the vizard's they are much stronger than any shinigami and possibly stronger than most or all captains. In their advance state of power they could all have developed some way of being visible or making their own gigai etc.
    Last edited by Musashi_Keiji; September 17, 2007 at 12:14 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast