Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: If Bleach was a seinen manga?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member delapaz13's Avatar
    Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bleach was a seinen manga?

if bleach was a seinen manga would you think it would still be popular or would it be more popular and would they still make an anime adaptation of it?
    "I am the bone of my sword.
    Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand blades.
    Unknown to death.
    Nor known to life.
    Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
    Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
    So as I pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."

http://www.friendster.com/throneofheroes

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OrangeRat's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If Bleach was a seinen manga?

I don't think it would be more popular. It may get animated, but it would have a small (but devoted) following, and would be generally less accessable to people.

It's good where it is now, good fights, a reasonable amount of blood, and of course boobies.

It's not too adult, but it's definately not a kid's show.

I don't think I'd like it too much if it was a seinen manga, though I love Elfen Lied. Go Lucy and long live Illuminati-Manga!
    GREEN, Your death's colour is Green. Death of the mind. Your heart is isolated within your mind. You seek knowledge. You are very rare.

Others' lifes is your salvation. Listening to people's problems is your way to escape reality. You have an extraordinary wonderful soul, but this soul is carrying the whole world in its shoulders. With your understanding restless nature, you are constantly looking for answers. ~~I carry the whole world on my shoulders~~

My To-Draw List
    Spoiler show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member genkigemini's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with OrangeRat. Right now Bleach is riding a really fine line where it has a great story, good fights and hot people. It is at a point where both guys and girls can read/watch and enjoy. If it was seinen, I think it would be a little too hardcore for some people and the story would suffer because of it.
    ~ SARAH ~

Thank you to ericssj for the awesome signature!!!!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kazuho's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i would ALSO have to agree. i mean if it were seinen than it would jus involve a distraction from the great plot. for example, when Inoue says good bye to ichigo while hes sleeping, they wouldve written sumthin dumb like having her sleep with him. i mean isnt it better to be like "dammit! jus kiss the guy already!!!" (haha, aww such a sad moment in Bleach...), instead of "ah crap! i knoe where this is goin..."
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/pNoiBoiGT/scepsigut1.jpg

Dearly Missed ;__; MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Please remember that Seinen doesn't mean it's just sex, Kazuho >_>

If bleach was seinen,
    I guess it would've started out about the same, then the first introduction chapters about the same, but maybe with less unnecessary comedy at parts.

But what's more, we likely would've gotten a better informed rukia (i mean: she must've known that if she stayed too long she would need assistance in getting away from the pursuers sooner or later... which means: train ichigo, ask urahara for help and such stuff).

Then, moving onto the soul society arc, i guess we would've gotten the same action, but actual deaths. I could definitely see Ishida slaughtering that Shinigami instead of disabling him. same with chads powerblasts against some shinigami or with ganju/ichigo tag-teaming that one time: They would've likely actually slain some enemies instead of "injuring them so hard that they can't fight anymore".

then, ganju vs. byakuya... ganju could've actually died there. it would've had more impact on that point i guess.

Moving on, I think that aizen would've had a more complicated and less all-mighty way to get them all to believe he was dead etc.

then, after SS arc,
    first, the fights would've had more death, ishida wouldn't have miracously regained his powers (although i think that would still be possible... hmm... guess i like it both ways). I guess we wouldn't have seen so many miraculous upgrades after the ss-arc... but more people joining the actual fights and all (like urahara, isshin, ryuuken actually participating in non-cheap-shot fights)
    i guess we would've gotten the same unchanged scene with orihime as that scene is complete as it is.
    Then, the HM raid would've been a bit better prepared than this one...

Hmmm... all in all it's a question of deepening the plot and adding more mature scenes in general. (maybe even more fanservice, i wouldn't complain ).
    I guess it's a question of what kind of seinen it would be... I would like it to be close to gantz (the detail in slaughtering, the unpredictability of what will happen, etc) and still retain the bleach-charm (awesome art, awesome characters, great fighting scenes).

so, those are my two cents on the matter

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kazuho's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well i guess i shouldve ben more specific...i meant that there would be an implication of them having sex....not actually shown it...

there would definately have been many deaths, and a lot of nudity on Matsumoto's part...

but the harmful part is complexity at which the plots would be based....a lot of people would stop watching because they wouldnt understand...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/pNoiBoiGT/scepsigut1.jpg

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kaemon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think it would make a difference to me, I mean, I probably would still have been watching it and reading it and what not, I mean, as long as it had still had that same catchy theme song to start me off.

Now... the real question here is...

What if Bleach was a Josei/Shōjo manga?

Pfft.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OrangeRat's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's working as a shonen manga so I think anything else would be pushing it.
    GREEN, Your death's colour is Green. Death of the mind. Your heart is isolated within your mind. You seek knowledge. You are very rare.

Others' lifes is your salvation. Listening to people's problems is your way to escape reality. You have an extraordinary wonderful soul, but this soul is carrying the whole world in its shoulders. With your understanding restless nature, you are constantly looking for answers. ~~I carry the whole world on my shoulders~~

My To-Draw List
    Spoiler show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Musashi_Keiji's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you people know what a seinen manga is about.... Go read:
    Tough
    Vagabond
    Berserk
    Gantz

none of those are sex crazed manga or anything.
    Seinen is classified as mature for a variety of reasons. Which include more political stuff, spirituallity, gore, of course sex too, and overall less comical.

I can't imagine bleach being a Seinen manga.... If it were that would mean people would actually die more bloodily like having their heads chopped off and dismemberments... Masumoto's tits would be way way more raunchy than just being big...

It would be totally different almost.

Moderator message by: Silhouette
    Removed bashing. Please follow the Forum Rules.
    Last edited by Silhouette; September 23, 2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: removed bashing

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member macherie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lmao i'd say the breast sizes of the characters already present would be multiplied by a factor of 100, along with meaner looking arrancar.
    Shirosaki would probably look more nightmarish and Ichigo would have absolutely no feelings !
    XDDDDDD
    人きりの悲しみは何処に行けば消える
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Why less comedy? There're nice comedy seinen as well and some are with lots of chibi.
    And why more sex? Ah my Goddess is a sweet romance seinen without the ecchi thing.

Not all seinen are about gore and action. Bleach is aimed at a younger audience that's why it's shounen, if it where written for older readers it wouldn't necessary be much different - but the story were probably less dragonball-ish (aka: countless power ups and topping each others while fighting) which is more typical for shounen. Shounen fights are more like games with levels, less angsty and realistic 'cause the younger readers don't need to be afraid of (many) deaths of important characters or that their hero losing any main fights (which is not at all sure in "seinen-fights"). Problems get solved way more often through sudden miracles (someone suddely pops up) or angsty situations get resolved in comedy moments ("just a joke, just a joke"). Seinen is usually way more serious here and goes straight through those things without watching for the readers mind - which can't be done in shounen, they have to pay attention to the younger age of the readers (= can't handle mature situations).

Maybe the gang would be older (college students) and the plot involve more reallife problems (and not blend out those while fighting in Soul Society/Hueco Mundo) and be not so much focussed on fighting the next and the next and the next opponent without looking right nor left.

But it could still be a funny (chibi-using) action manga with (ecchi-less) romance and deep character profiles.
    Last edited by eni; September 30, 2007 at 06:20 AM.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member radical3113's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

if bleach was a seinen manga there would simply be more real life issues. like the fact that he waltzs in and out of scholl when he feels like it without any concequences. ichigo would have more productive conversations with his family. and aizens plot might not be world domination.
    Who the Tobi am I?

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

To answer to OP...I think it depends a lot on the publisher...being a Shounen Jump product definitely helped it getting an anime adaptation...

Many of these great shounen series could be better with a touch of seinen values in it...more deaths for one, and more intricate characters

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

*Waltzing drunk into this old baby of a thread, Oi!*

This is actually a pretty cool thread, why are there not more posts here? If putting enough imagination into it, Bleach could be very, very different, yet also keep some of its original essence, it's a fun mind game to play.

Unlike some beliefs, I think the comical moments in Bleach can remain even if Bleach had a far more serious side to it, but the more contrast there is, the greater the author it takes, cause it'd be really, really hard, yet it's somewhat possible.

Anyway, here's how I'd love to see an alternative to Bleach, not change the current Bleach, but an alternative.
    • Many more deaths! No one are safe, even main characters!
    • More Blood! Yes of course, we want more blood... every time I see some, I have an urge to stick my teeth into the flesh and drink it.. don't you ever feel that way?
    • Bigger and better shown wounds! More blood doesn't equal realistic wounds, heck all we see are cut off body parts, no more details than that.
    • Political action and play. Take Central 46 and Wandenreich's disagreements for example, small sub stories along the way that build up the political tension between the two, make it flashbacks if needed.
    • Sex may be a bit inappropriate in some countries, however at least have more and real sexual tension between characters, it also makes them feel more real.
    • More heroines and female villains kicking ass... wait this was supposed to be a Seinen? .... Half naked!*Fixed* (Yes both Shounen and Seinen are made for teenagers & men respectively, we can't help it!)
    • Way more history, really give Soul Society and Souls in general a grand background with a waste history that stretches back in a really big universe where many interesting things has happened in the past. Take Star Wars (NOOOO I DIDN'T JUST PULL THE STAR WARS CARD!!! *hides* ... ahem.... for example... Here you can go many thousands of years back in time, and back then the Sith were in control over the world, and many things has happened conflicting in many grand battles, political schemes and wars. It'd be really interesting if Bleach was like that too, its history is way to limited, at the moment anyway.
    • More character depths, background, so they feel more real.
    • More focus on Ichigo's badass sword! I mean come on now... It's like a freaking cliffhanger every time he swings this baby around, you want to see more, don't you?!?
    • A seinen wouldn't be complete without love too, well in some mens opinion anyway. Men can love as well, so of course its needed to make the story realistic. Granted don't over do it! The story just have to feel realistic, not to turn it into a romantic fantasy journey, lolz.

This isn't even Bleach anymore I suppose it would be a completely different manga!
    Although if Kubo felt about doing this project after being done with the current Bleach, using the same universe but changing it into a seinen? I would defo support and buy it! At the very least give it a good chance...

Just some fun thoughts, it will 99,99999% never happen, but damn it would be sweet to see a Seinen version of Bleach <----- Yes I read quite a few Seinen and other literature, in case you wonder ^^.

*Waltzing drunk out of the old dusty thread again, Baibai*

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bleach was seinen then it would probably have a smaller audience because Kubo would be more willing to take liberties with his work. To put it simply it would be more like the Arrancar and FB arc in temrs of writing. This current arc lacks the maturity you see in Seinen manga but there were definitly vibes of it in the revious two arcs. The SS arc is just a typical Shounen arc and most people consider it to be their favourite and that's why I believe if Bleach went full Seinin many people will end up dropping it.

So if Bleach was Seinin not only will there be more deaths but there will also be more of Kubo's sluggish pacing as well as less dialogue and more textless panels. We'll get panels of endless battles and every character will be fully developed even if they're not crucial to the overarching storyof the arc. Kubo was doing this quite a lot in the previous two arcs but I think Bleach's decline in popularity caused him to revert his writing style to something akin to the one used in the SS arc.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply