Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how do LQ raws exists?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused how do LQ raws exists?

sorry if this sounds like a noob question but I've always wondered about this. You know those really god awful LQ raws, you know the one's that are all grey and have chunks of black missing from the page (example raws: check out Kuso Robo or Undead). Now I have a cheap scanner but even if I tried my hardest there is no way I can get them to look that bad. Are the people scanning these using one of those portable pen shaped scanners?
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member unok-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do LQ raws exists?

The next time you try to scan it so badly, try with the shonen jump.
    Currently translating Raruto, a Spanish parody of Naruto (getting ready for the last two chapters, to be released in English in October and November). Check it out here!

Also working on another project that you might get to see in January...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

so it has something to do the paper or the thickness? my brother has a shonen jump so I'll go try it.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to use the Japanese version of Jump, since the American print quality is actually decent. The Japanese version is printed on the equivalent of toilet paper. There's a reason Jump is so cheap.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member unok-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the paper is recycled, so although it's not so bad at normal sight, scanners get it grey (well, not really, actually if you scan it in color it may look yellow, or redish, or something, but it's usually scanned in b/w). And besides, the black ink isn't really good, that's why there are so many specks in black zones.

Actually, in color pages, the paper is quite good and the ink is better than usual, so those pages (and the page before or after, I mean, the other side of the sheet of paper) are quite better.
    Currently translating Raruto, a Spanish parody of Naruto (getting ready for the last two chapters, to be released in English in October and November). Check it out here!

Also working on another project that you might get to see in January...

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

that explains why the colour pages on a lq raw look so good compared to the black and white.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wade69's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason LQ raws are around is because scanners have a shitty scanner or they are just to lazy to change there settings to put out the best quality it can.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

but I have a shitty scanner and doesn't look anything as bad as the LQ, it must be what everyone saids: shiity paper and shitty original print.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say there are a few reasons, in which some already said by others.

Paper/inking quality does affects the overall output, although this can be reduced by properly scanning the pages. High settings should minimize the impact.

What wade69 said is true too, although the circumstances may vary depending on who. There are people who want to scan with speed in mind without caring about the quality, which obviously will result in lower scan standards and bad outputs. This is the worst possible reason. Some might have other unavoidable reasons, like not in the environment they can scan properly (to not get caught at the workplace or limited hardware capabilities at where they are, for examples).

True that the magazine might not be in the quality of tankoubon or kazenban, but at the very least, good results (for a magazine standard) are achievable, as proved by our best scanners.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dosetsu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From the sounds of it, you're calling the RAW LQ based on that it isn't Black and white from the start.

Those look like that because they're usually scanned from a Magazine that has been inked poorly and has cheap paper equivalent to that of newspaper (News paper isn't white.), and two they have a dark piece of paper behind them to minimize the bleed-through which darkens the scan even more. Basically what that means is, the scan is actually 'Raw' in all sense of the work, meaning no pre-editing was done, be it from the scanner or Photoshop/ whatever art program you may use. It's not that they're LQ, it's just the scanners leave the editing up to the people who want to use them. Tankobons come out something similar to the same (Except, 'higher quality.').

There's also the LQ, as in people save the images in Jpeg with really low settings, so the artifacts affect the images.
    Last edited by dosetsu; April 06, 2009 at 03:19 PM.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Noo..... Theres the LQ when the scan is just LQ because of the settings it was used to scan it in the first place. Lots of LQ raws come out bad because the greys are never scanned properly or the blacks are to sharp. Shonen jump does have bad paper, but its not so bad that the raw ends up coming out so bad

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mugen's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

you guys are so ungrateful.
    click to join mangahelpers facebook group

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dosetsu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Down Re: how do LQ raws exists?

Quote Originally Posted by wade69 View Post
    Noo..... Theres the LQ when the scan is just LQ because of the settings it was used to scan it in the first place. Lots of LQ raws come out bad because the greys are never scanned properly or the blacks are to sharp. Shonen jump does have bad paper, but its not so bad that the raw ends up coming out so bad
    What you're explaining right now is called "editing" or rather bad editing done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, which in the majority of the time it has exactly nothing to do with the scanning process.
    Last edited by dosetsu; April 06, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dosetsu View Post
    What you're explaining right now is called "editing" or rather bad editing done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, which in the majority of the time it has exactly nothing to do with the scanning process.
    Actually, it is called "cleaning," since "editing" is the full process of cleaning, redrawing and typesetting.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dosetsu View Post
    Wtf no... Thats called cleaning what your talking about. I am talking about the raws getting scanned bad because they don't have the best settings or something.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast