Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 130 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2003

Thread: Hunter x Hunter Hangout [00]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

It looks like the Japanese volume 23 has a little bit of censorship too.
    Spoiler show

I took two pictures of what Viz censored, and to be honest it's not that bad.
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Netero; May 02, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by there76 View Post
    When did you guys get into Hunter x Hunter? I believe I got into the series back in 2005, which might not be as long as some of you. :P
    That made me feel old (yeah I'm old). I got into series in real time as it first started...1998? I remember opening the Jump magazine of seeing that color spread of the first chapter in the bookstore (oh back then they don't wrap magazine in Japanese bookstore). I was a big fan of Togashi already since the Yu Yu Hakuso manga, which I started reading it around when vol.7 was published. I got creeped out by his art at first -- it had a strange mix of realistic seinen and cartoony shounen art, and there's an unsettling odd sense of humor/darkness, and a sense of cruelty where you felt this author won't hold back. But i am always a fan of horror so I'm so intrigued by his work. Then of course YYH was exploded to mainstream popularity after the anime.

By the time HxH started I've already outgrown shounen manga, and this (and Hikaru no Go) is the only series I still make an effort to read because I know Togashi will bring IT no matter what. Back then I rent taped new HxH episodes from the Japanese market from where I live, but I ended up disliking the 1999 anime adaptation so much that I stopped around Heaven's Arena (before it got good at Phantom troupe). Then shortly after I dropped most manga reading all together as life got busy.

It's only until last year I re-pick up the manga from where I left off (where Kite's head got chopped off). Then Togashi is back on hiatus, then the new anime reboot happened, it just couldn't come in a better timing. It's strange that time has changed so much, for ex: I no longer has someone to share the joy of following HxH with (my sister, who's since married and moved away), and my fiancé is completely clueless about the world of manga/anime that I didn't even bother to introduce him to it. Every Saturday/Sunday I'll just wait for him to do his own stuff so I can watch the new 2011 anime episode secretly.

Oh yeah my other favorite manga author is Ito Junji, whom I follow with fierce loyalty since my teenage days (when he was still writing in those girls horror manga magazine). So I caught all those little references Togashi made to Ito Junji.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea the censorship in the manga, I wish it was actually edited by Togashi himself. I hate black censor bars.
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member there76's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmericandream View Post
    Yea the censorship in the manga, I wish it was actually edited by Togashi himself. I hate black censor bars.
    Yeah, and maybe he'll make you home made cookies while he's at it.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic171590_1.gif

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

What I don't get is that there are a lot of other shonen series that don't get that heavily censored. Take Fullmetal Alchemist for example, both it and Hunter x Hunter are Viz properties and both are shonen. One of FMA's volumes feature a scene where the top half of a guy's face is smashed, featured in all its glory and with no censoring at all (pretty sure one of the only things Viz censored in FMA was what looked like a guy crucified). That's a lot more violent than those scenes from HxH's volume 23. Even if you argue that HxH belongs to the Shonen Jump Advanced line and that Fullmetal Alchemist belongs to the Viz Media line and that's why there's a difference when it comes to censorship, that doesn't explain why the Japanese version is also censored.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    What I don't get is that there are a lot of other shonen series that don't get that heavily censored. Take Fullmetal Alchemist for example, both it and Hunter x Hunter are Viz properties and both are shonen. One of FMA's volumes feature a scene where the top half of a guy's face is smashed, featured in all its glory and with no censoring at all (pretty sure one of the only things Viz censored in FMA was what looked like a guy crucified). That's a lot more violent than those scenes from HxH's volume 23. Even if you argue that HxH belongs to the Shonen Jump Advanced line and that Fullmetal Alchemist belongs to the Viz Media line and that's why there's a difference when it comes to censorship, that doesn't explain why the Japanese version is also censored.
    It's probably because the two series are targeting different age groups.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Hxh and FMA are owned by different companies, and of course they have different limits. But damn! How does Togashi gets away with most of his stuff? He can delay whenever he wants, doesn't need to finalize the chapter for magazine submission, and he can go brutal to the extreme that they need to actually censor it!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
    Hxh and FMA are owned by different companies, and of course they have different limits. But damn! How does Togashi gets away with most of his stuff? He can delay whenever he wants, doesn't need to finalize the chapter for magazine submission, and he can go brutal to the extreme that they need to actually censor it!
    He has earned it. Not only that but they know he isn't afraid to walk away if he feels mistreated (he did it with YYH after he got sick of Editor's pressure at the peek of the series popularity too). He makes more money for Shueisha than the majority of other mangaka and he is a highly regarded with numerous awards in his field. He has had an immense effect on the industry itself and is respected more so than just about anyone else on the Jump roster (even Oda). He has been at this for about 25 years, he's earned his place and they aren't gonna mess with him. He is like all writers, a little eccentric and I feel Shueisha understand who he is and what he needs. I commend him for always believing in his own rules and not allowing others to tell him what to do.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

10. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ContractHunterMEMO's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree that Togashi has a privilege when it comes to censorship considering what he's done in the past. HXH volumes in japan most of the time sell like there's no tomorrow, so I think Shueisha's learned their lesson of putting too much pressure on him and just let him do what he does cuss in the end, he brings them a generous amount of $$$

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Figures/Collections/Merchandise

While I wanted to be either Transmutation or Conjuration, I think I might actually be Emission. Emission's pretty cool though so I don't mind xD. Maybe there should be a thread about what Hatsu types we'd like to have and which ones seem to fit us (was thinking about making one a while ago)?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member joshua019's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

When do you guys think HxH series continues?? There is a movie coming out perhaps Togashi is focusing on that? i mean, we all know that togashi's work capacity is very low writing a manga is probably already too much a stretch for him, so working on a movie simultaneously is practically impossible. In addition, quite hard to think that someone would fall to a slump very quickly after his last few chapter which has great artwork.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am expecting him to announce that he is done with the series, and instead is joining the Olympics as part of the synchronized swimming team.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I am expecting him to announce that he is done with the series, and instead is joining the Olympics as part of the synchronized swimming team.

The end result

He can't exactly swim.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member joshua019's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

That will be so cool I will get to him here in london this summer ^_^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruto2011's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i saw this on mangahere...
    suppodedly Hunter x hunter 341 will be coming next along with other popular shounen

http://www.mangahere.com/

i dont know if they mean coming next as in their next upcoming manga or what

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 130 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast