Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Molokidan Thread~!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Molokidan Thread~!

I don't know if it helps, but two phrases in the very beginning of Billy Bat c29 actually mean "Good morning" ("Доброе утро") in russian.

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member molokidan's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! It was actually something I checked afterwards but forgot to add.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Spaceman-Spiff's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What were the easiest and hardest series you had to translate and why? You can be as technical as you want in answering..

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dosukoi7's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard you translate professionally. I was wondering how you got into that, and what type of translation it is? I'm very interested in doing that. So far I've only really looked into Patent Translation

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your stance in regard to nomenclature and dialect? For example, Yoshihiro Togashi's Hunter x Hunter is a series that draws inspiration from real world places and events; this latest arc taking place in their world's version of North Korea. I (as a beginner) also attempt to translate Hunter x Hunter weekly, and I occasionally notice some differences in the originals and your scripts. Most apparent is the Royal Guards' constant usage of "Your/His Majesty" in reference to the King, even though the text generally uses 王. Characters like Komugi and Feitan also speak with significant regional patois, but these aren't as apparent in the English translation.

What about character names as well? For example, during your translations for nexgear, you had the character Kalluto listed as Karuto. The royal guards and the King, despite being named after both Egyptian deities (Nefertiti, Shau, and Monthu) and characters from a French picture book series for children (Pitou, Pouf, and Youpi), are transliterated without reference to those meanings. Is this for consistency's sake?

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Spaceman-Spiff: Easiest translations would have to be Umezu Kazuo manga. I've had entire chapters of pure screaming. Hardest would have to be...novel translating.

dosukoi7: I translate lots of subtitles for different DVDs, such as World Heritage sites, university tour DVDs, tourism DVDs, as well as business advertising, etc. It's something you have to get into by word of mouth and just doing lots of small jobs over and over again. Recently I've been getting into literature translation, which I greatly prefer.

Popo:
    Dialect is something I try to stray away from in translation, because it mostly ends up looking distracting and out-of-place in English, and try to reflect the difference in speech more in actual vocabulary than trying to add a Southern dialect to someone speaking Kansai-ben, which I think needs to be done away with.

Personally I don't ever think I've translated bubbles spoken by Feitan, so I can't comment on that, but Komugi's accent has no English alternative capable of transmitting the same atmosphere, so no attempt has been made to force it as so.

As for "Your Majesty," I think the translator before me started that, and as far as I'm concerned, it sounds much better in English than simply "King!," and considering the Royal Guards' attitudes toward Meruem, fits better. I was aware of the Egyptian deities, but not the French picture book. If I could go back and translate the Chimera arc from the beginning I would change the spelling of the names, but I don't see any real point now.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wafo's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

How about translating someone Osamu Tezuka´s Manga?

How Alabastar or I.L, por example.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume that will most likely be scanlated at some point or another, since Osamu Tezuka is so popular in the West. I'd rather do something that has a lesser chance of seeing the light of day over here (like Mephisto, or Fourteen). But thanks for the idea.

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Anyway, in this page have many Tezuka´s mangas scanlated in japanesse:
    http://rawscans.com/forum/viewtopic....=tezuka#p11851

Thanks for the answres, and sorry for my english.
    Last edited by Wafo; October 11, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks!

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for mistake, the mangas was in japanesse XD.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just stopped by to say hello. Since you seem to live in Kyoto, I wanted to introduce one of my favorite places to visit: Nijo-jinya(二条陣屋). You may have already been there, but it is like a small ninja house. It was actually an old inn where Daimyo (federal lords) stayed while visiting Kyoto. The inn has many hidden rooms and tricks to protect the lords. It's a bit expensive to get in. It costs about 1,000 yen (12USD?) and requires a reservation ahead of time, but it is an interesting place to visit. Most people only visit the Nijo Castle, which is about 3 minute walk from there and do not know anything about this inn.

By the way, have you been to Kyoto International Manga Museum? (I assume you have.) What do you think of the place?
    Last edited by mikkih; November 09, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added a question about the museum.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, mikkih! I'll definitely check out that place when I get a chance.

I have been to the Manga Museum, numerous times. What can I say about it? I was very underwhelmed by the entire experience. You think of a museum as a place to look at rare artifacts, things from the past, important and culturally significant items...and while the manga museum certainly has a lot of manga, it's missing so much. You'd think they would possess full collections of important authors' works, but there is a lot of catering to what's popular, and you won't necessarily find a lesser-known or out-of-print work there.

They have a vault in the basement which features lots of old weekly/monthly magazines from over 40 years ago, but the way it's set up, you can't even look inside, or even get a look at the entire collection, so that really defeats the point.

I was also surprised by how much "event"-oriented activities they had there, including cosplaying, drawing manga, etc. I really think "Museum" is the wrong word for the place. There's a university professor in Tokyo who has a larger collection than this place. I think "Manga Center" would make more sense, personally. Or maybe I just went in with too many expectations. They have cosplaying events just about every week, though, so if that's your thing, then I recommend it.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

molokidan,

Thanks for your detailed insights on the Manga Museum. I only know the place from their official website. I only gathered that they featured manga titles from older days and had a few events. If you have been there numerous times, it's probably good enough to visit at least once. I'll swing by with lower expectations next time around. I do not mind seeing the drawing manga part of their events you mentioned. Even with disappointments, I can stop by BOOKOFF on the way back and be happy again. Thx.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem! And yes, I much prefer Bookoff for manga hunting. Although their buyback prices are pretty much highway robbery.

New Reply
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast