Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best Eleven: make your team!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rsatori's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Eleven: make your team!

Don has the same speed as Bud according to the rankings. He's the strongest guy on the field with amazing speed.

I chose Tatanka because he's able to use his major height to tip the ball and has a lot of speed. Even though he's LB he's pretty much only been blocking all the passes.
    Sometimes I think that anime and manga today is all thanks to the Atomic Bombs.

Eroge Danchou MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Xophien's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that we've seen pretty much everything we could about the players of this manga, yeah, it was a pretty good idea to revive this topic, and this is as good a time as any for me to update my dream team after nearly three years.

So yeah, here I go~

Offense (Wishbone edition):

QB : Hiruma
    C: Kurita
    OG: Gaou
    OG: Mr.Don
    OT: Yamabushi
    OT: Banba
    TE : Akaba
    FB : Agon
    HB : Yamato
    HB : Sena
    WR : Taka

This still stays my favorite formation for the reason that in my opinion it's the most versatile one. Comparing to XEL's list, I switched Ootawara and Yamabushi between offense and defense. Ootawara might be slightly stronger than Yamabushi and thus fitting more the offensive line, in my opinion, Yamabushi is more stable than Ootawara, plus Ootawara's speed makes him a better asset for defense The line is still designed to be as sturdy as possible. Hiruma as the QB for this play is also self-explaining, since the quarterback needs to be the one adapting the play according to the movements of the opponent's defense, and Hiruma has the brains necessary for that. I've switched Agon and Akaba's positions, if you compare it to XEL's team, because I think Akaba is more efficient (and more used) to the Tight End position, and his lead blocking is just fitting perfectly in the Wishbone. Good receiving skills will also be put in use if need by Hiruma... Or Agon The reason for having Agon as a fullback, besides the fact he is smart and can make split-seconds decisions in order to react appropriately to the opponent's moves just like Hiruma, is that he is also great at passes (in which case this formation could be turned into an impromptu Dragon Fly) and runs. Being the perfect all-rounder thanks to overall great speed, power, stamina, technique and one-of-a-kind god-speed impulse, it's rather obvious for me to put him at the core of a versatile play like the wishbone. Yamato and Sena are pretty obvious choices as well in this play, both of them are simply the best when it comes to running with the ball (besides Panther, but I'm not including Panther anywhere because he's a cheat). I'm just having a hard time thinking how could Sena be stopped if he was running protected by Agon, Akaba and Yamato anyway As for the only receiver of this formation, it seems to me that the most logical choice is to leave it to the best of them all, and the best of them all is by far Taka. Honestly. He has shown being an invincible receiver, so while he's also doing mighty fine as a cornerback, I think using his speed (better than any other receivers), jumping power (better than any other receivers) and insane catching skills (on par with Monta!) in offense.

Not done with offense yet >.>

Offense (Shotgun edition):

QB : Clifford
    OG: Gaou
    OG: Mr.Don
    OT: Banba
    HB : Agon
    WR : Taka
    WR : Monta

WR : Tetsuma
    WR : Sakuraba

Well, this is pretty much Hiruma's Gatling, actually, besides the fact I think Clifford would shine the most here. Being the most mobile quarterback of the manga, thanks to his light speed run, he could also use his bright mind for trick plays Hiruma would be unable to do, like his passes while running at light speed. The four receivers are self-explaining, being the four best ones of the mangas and with various strengths, and Agon is still there for pretty much the same reason as in the Wishbone formation. If I let my fanboy side talk, and the World Cup hadn't still happened, I'd probably put Karin as the quarterback because she's just so cute and she was the fastest quarterback of the manga at that point. I simply wouldn't include Kid in this team, because Kid's two specialties are the quickdraw (which wouldn't be of much use when the line wouldn't let even the Juggernaut go through >.>) and his team play with Tetsuma, which (just like Takami with Sakuraba) just pales in front of Clifford's sheer physical abilities.

Time for defense then...

Defense:

DT: Ootawara
    DT: Heracles
    DE: Achilles
    DE: Mizumachi
    ROLB: Tatanka
    LOLB: Kakei
    MLB: Shin
    CB: Ikkyuu
    CB: Bud
    FS: Schultz
    SS: Marco

Looks a lot like XEL's formation, for mostly the same reasons, but I still changed a few players. Firstly, the line, I agree that its task should be to try and disrupt the opponent's play before it starts. I'd rather have Ootawara and Heracles as tackles than ends, because they have more strength, to cover for eventual runs through the center (Ootawara proved to be a master at that during the match against Deimon), while Mizumachi and Achilles will try to go sack the hell out of the opponent's quarterback. Achilles over Onihei for three reasons: Achilles is a moron, but Onihei will also fail 100% of the time at reading the opponent's trick plays. Onihei in a team seems just like bad luck in that respect (though his “prediction skills” could actually be used to read the opponent's play, by doing the opposite of what Onihei says ). Achilles is also faster and likely stronger (Onihei stands at only 5.2sec/40yrds 75kg benchpress), plus Achilles and Heracles are used to play together and have cooperation plays Linebackers... Seem obvious to me, for some reason. Shin is the almighty god in defense, with his speed, power and experience, while Tatanka and Kakei thanks to their heights, skills and decent speed can cover a huge area (we forget too often, I think, that Kakei actually was an ace in America, too... ). Cornerbacks, Ikkyuu is a given. Backward run, jumping power and experience are enough to make us forget he's actually rather small for that position (167cm). Bud... is more of a wild guess, really, since I don't want to use Taka here. We haven't honestly seen enough of his skills to get a proper idea, but hey, he's supposed to be the best cornerback of the world, so I'm going to just trust the manga on that one. Safeties, I won't use Panther, partly because I don't want to (see wishbone formation), but mostly because I think Schultz would do a better job as a safety. Nearly as fast, probably as powerful, his eidetic memory also allows him to keep in mind all the formations of the opponent, and read them to some extent, allowing him to react accordingly to the opponent's play. Marco doesn't have the speed or strength, but his analytic mind, his ability to never lose sight of the ball and his deadly Screw Bite are just as invaluable as a safety.

And just because I never get enough, I'll even introduce some complete special teams!

Special team (Kick-off edition):

K : Koutarou
    In an onside-kick formation: Akaba, Yamato, Sena, Shin, Agon, Taka, Riku, Schultz, Clifford, Panther (… yeah >.>)

Spider Web, anyone? The goal of this formation is simple, combining the stupid accuracy of Koutarou's kicks, and ten players who will rush to where the ball will land (not official for Akaba or Agon, but it's likely all those ten are below 4.5secs/40yrds), Taka likely catching it, and the other players keeping the opponents away. This'd definitely be worth trying, since Koutarou can send the ball precisely where he wants, and not necessarily close as in regular onside kicks, meaning the opponent team would still have a bigger area to protect.

Special team (Kick-off/Punt return edition):

KR/PR : Panther, Sena
    Rest of the team : Gaou, Mr. Don, Ootawara, Heracles, Achilles, Yamato, Agon, Shin, Bud

Panther and Sena cover each one his side of the field, then they run while being protected by what are probably the best players on a speed/power average.

For punts and field goal, detailing formations isn't really interesting, so I'll just get away by saying that Koutarou gets short punts and short field goals (<50yrds), while Musashi gets long punts and long field goals (>50yrds). Though with the offensive power of the team, I can't imagine it'd be forced to take any of those...

One last thing:
    Quote Originally Posted by XEL
    EDIT: ...after reading the teams I'm getting the feeling not many ppl here understand the concept of football. They are all placing players where they are in the manga, though that might no be where they'd shine the most. Not trying to flame anyone but yea... I guess it just bugs me..

Personally, I try to keep their original position in mind, because it's not all about sheer data, while making my dream team, I also take their experience in their original position into account. Sure, like Rsatori said, Don could be one hell of a great fullback, looking at stats alone, but with no prior experience in dealing with anything else than crowded lines and scared quarterbacks, would he do a better job at it than Yamato? I don't think so, so that's why I rather let him stay in the line I'm considering while making my teams that the players come as they are in the mangas, meaning coming with their experience and personality, and not just a bunch of stats à la Madden NFL >.>

Phew, done. That was my longest post in a while~
    Last edited by Xophien; June 03, 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo, typo~

Art by 双瀬 聖

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member XEL's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Xophien: Of got to say that was one hell of a read xD The special teams just seem monstorous. At this point Kotarou would be dead due to being overjoyed. With that power the whole dream team could be a kick team and just dominate... I also see the point with Achilles being better than Onihei. Its just Onihei has been playing since grade school I think? so he's a master of techniques... and I don't like Achilles cause he's a moron xP I was gonna ramble about how leaving out someone like Panther would be a bad idea but I completely forgot about Shultz. His abilities more than make up for the .01 second speed lost. LBs. Hell yes. Those three form an ultimate team, haha. Bud as CB?...Although he's supposed to be the #1 Monta "beat" him. and Taka is technically better than Monta. I also chose Taka over Bud for my team because of his insanely long jump and his jumping height. I think he can jump like 8 feet horizontally and at least 3 feet vertically. Hmm...I guess Mizumachi would just be great in the line no matter what position. His height is just godly, lol. I wasn't sure who would do the most running in the wishbone formation but I've always liked to use Yamato over Sena. Even if Sena is .01 seconds faster he's tiny and wouldn't last more than 1 quarter, if that much, in a real world tournament. Yamato on the other hand has strength(which the haha bros said was on-par with Gaou..obviously an exxageration but we know he's amazingly strong. he was an ace in america after all) and his balance. He could travel much farther than Sena. I persoanlly feel Sena is overrated but included him in my team cause not many were that fast... come to think of it Shultz would make a good RB too.

@Rsatori: yea, i thought that too but tipping the ball won't help him that much. I'm a CB and I block many passes(I can jump ) but blocking and catching are two completely different things. The only times I go for INTs are when I'm sure the balls an easy catch(i.e. far from the oppoents route; low, near the ground). Other than that I just swat the ball. Plus we aren't even sure how good he'd be at backpedaling which is a vital skill for the position. I'll give it to you Don fits the FB position but he's kinda big... That would slightly disrupt the RBs route making it longer, maybe by just a yard, but that yard could be a TD. I do think that Shin would be a good FB...its just I don't think its smart to have a player on both O and D, especially when others can fit that bill. They aren't Captain America(...ok maybe Agon is.. xD) so they need their rest.

Washington 2012
    ~ We're baaaaaaaaaack ~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just go with the idea that the Pentagram are supposedly the strongest men in history. So I think they'd naturally excel in multiple areas. I also believe they're all similar to Agon because they're supposed to be godlike.

I chose Don as the FB just because he has insane strength with fast speed. Experience or not I can't think of anyone really stopping him on a consistent basis especially when he's charging forward. I mean imagine Japan's defense trying to take him down as he runs the ball forward or is acting as a lead blocker. It'd be like a N-S game that isn't at the middle through the line. In a real world setting of course I wouldn't put the ball into the hands of a lineman. But given the fact that he took down Yamato and Gaou with one hand each almost simultaneously I think him running the ball would be fucking insane. Who would take him down!?

I put some players on O and D mainly because they can and have throughout the match. If it were like the real world I wouldn't assign players like that but during this whole manga it just seems like exhaustion isn't too much of a factor except in a few cases such as the Ojou match.

And I can't believe I forgot Ootawara and Schultz.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe I forgot Shultz too. He's an amazing player, haha.
    And I guess we have two different means for the teams. Your team is made for the manga while I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible...uh what? haha Don or Agon in real life? O.o

Washington 2012
    ~ We're baaaaaaaaaack ~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean if lineman weren't characterized as dinosaurs and giants I would be more inclined to make it more real. But they're flipping cars and shit so.... It's not something I can ignore. As far as I am concerned Mr. Don could run the ball all the way to the end zone a majority of the time.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Point taken. xD That one is your win, lol. "flipping cars" I can't beat that :P
    but yea. I guess I just don't want to believe Don can be a FB, haha

Washington 2012
    ~ We're baaaaaaaaaack ~

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Offense
    Line:
    Kurita
    Goau
    Banba
    Mizumachi
    Ootawara
    QB:
    Hiruma/Kid
    HB:
    Riku
    FB: Sena
    WR:Monta/Taka
    TE:Taki(suzuna's brother aka idoit)

Defense:
    Line: Kurita, Goau, Banba ,mizumachi, Ootawara
    Linebackers : Shin and Agon
    Safetys: Riku Marco
    Cornerbacks:Taka and Ikkyuu

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a question kdowns, why would you plave Riku above the other candidates for RB and make Sena(who's really weak) a FB?.. Riku may make it as a RB, though there are others who are better and Sena's just too weak to play FB. And Taki as TE? Agon or Akaba would've done much better in this position.

Washington 2012
    ~ We're baaaaaaaaaack ~

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XEL View Post
    Just a question kdowns, why would you plave Riku above the other candidates for RB and make Sena(who's really weak) a FB?.. Riku may make it as a RB, though there are others who are better and Sena's just too weak to play FB. And Taki as TE? Agon or Akaba would've done much better in this position.

Sena was meant to be RB and Agon the FB
    Taki as TE is my personal choice Agon is to Over rated for my taste
    and Akaba He didnt really strike towards me but Taki Brought Some Comical Moments to me

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Thallc's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XEL View Post
    I see your point but he's just one of the eligible starters. I said that in the post. The starting QB can change game to game, messing with the opponet. Kid would be good if you were looking for short passes to TDs(Tetsuma). Hiruma for trick plays/scrambling(Clifford would work too). Takami for his teamwork with Sakuraba. and Finally the G. Dragon Fly with the brains(Hiruma), raw talent(Agon), and speed(Clifford).
    Ah I see. I thought you based the team around Kid with optional secondary QB's.

PS. Offense: Don, Gaou, Kurita, Random QB. North to South game 100%. Who needs clever tactics and formations
    Last edited by Thallc; June 05, 2009 at 02:59 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol true. combine that with Agon's talent and Yamato's run you'll get 8 points per touchdown like every 30 seconds xP

Washington 2012
    ~ We're baaaaaaaaaack ~

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner mockme's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm making this so no player can play both offense and defense.

Offense:
    QB:
    Hiruma
    HB: Sena
    FB: Yamato

Hiruma's just too good at making instant decisions, and he's also got a cannon arm. You can't pass on that. Sena at halfback with his speed is great for getting huge chunks of yardage, but whenever you need to get that one yard, I'd give the ball to Yamato and let him pound it through the middle.

OG: Ootawara
    OG: Banba
    OT: Aah, tough pick. Let's say Heracles.

I think that Yamabushi is ideal for the tackle spot thanks to his great technique strength. From what I understand Heracles is also more of a finesse type when it comes to linemen, so he should fit at tackle too. Ootawara and Banba are both bulky, have power and can push trough the inside, so they're good at guard. Do I even need to explain why Kurita's the center?

WR1: Monta
    WR2: Tetsuma
    TE: Akaba

Kind of like the Fitzgerald & Boldin-combo of the Arizona Cardinals. Monta's got the jumping power, and an ability to get the ball wherever it lands, as long as it's within his range. An ideal target for a long pass, whereas Tetsuma's great on the slants and other short routes. He can blow people away, get the catch, and get extra yards with his strength. As for tight end, Akaba's just a perfect all-around player, with speed, strength, football IQ etc. As they said in the Bando match, he's the perfect lead blocker.

Defense:
    DE:
    Mizumachi
    DT: Gaou
    DT: Err... Ushijima?

For the defensive line, seeing as this is a 4-3 alignment, I thought that Mizumachi and Achilles would fit quite nicely as ends because of their speed. You wouldn't want slow guys going up against those offensive tackles. That way you'll never get to the QB. I think I don't even need to explain why Gaou's there, and the second defensive tackle position was just way too difficult to decide on, so I picked Ushijima just to fill out the roster.

OLB: Agon
    OLB: Kakei

Agon and Shin can do just about everything when it comes to defense. They can stop the run or the pass, and even rush the quarterback. Kakei's quite good as a linebacker too, and with his height he can drop down on pass coverage, or stop the outside runs.

CB: Taka
    FS: Riku

Marco and Riku are perfect safeties, as they can both come into the box to stop the run if the need arises. Marco with his football IQ is good for giving directions to the defense, as that is one of the main abilities of a safety. From a safety's position you can see the whole field, and you've got to make the defense adapt to the changes of the offense. Ikkyuu and Taka are great in pass coverage, thanks to their speed, and both have great catching ability to get those picks.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Thallc's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mockme View Post
    Well, I'm making this so no player can play both offense and defense.

Offense:
    QB:
    Hiruma
    HB: Sena
    FB: Yamato

Hiruma's just too good at making instant decisions, and he's also got a cannon arm. You can't pass on that. Sena at halfback with his speed is great for getting huge chunks of yardage, but whenever you need to get that one yard, I'd give the ball to Yamato and let him pound it through the middle.

OG: Ootawara
    OG: Banba
    OT: Aah, tough pick. Let's say Heracles.

I think that Yamabushi is ideal for the tackle spot thanks to his great technique strength. From what I understand Heracles is also more of a finesse type when it comes to linemen, so he should fit at tackle too. Ootawara and Banba are both bulky, have power and can push trough the inside, so they're good at guard. Do I even need to explain why Kurita's the center?

WR1: Monta
    WR2: Tetsuma
    TE: Akaba

Kind of like the Fitzgerald & Boldin-combo of the Arizona Cardinals. Monta's got the jumping power, and an ability to get the ball wherever it lands, as long as it's within his range. An ideal target for a long pass, whereas Tetsuma's great on the slants and other short routes. He can blow people away, get the catch, and get extra yards with his strength. As for tight end, Akaba's just a perfect all-around player, with speed, strength, football IQ etc. As they said in the Bando match, he's the perfect lead blocker.

Defense:
    DE:
    Mizumachi
    DT: Gaou
    DT: Err... Ushijima?

For the defensive line, seeing as this is a 4-3 alignment, I thought that Mizumachi and Achilles would fit quite nicely as ends because of their speed. You wouldn't want slow guys going up against those offensive tackles. That way you'll never get to the QB. I think I don't even need to explain why Gaou's there, and the second defensive tackle position was just way too difficult to decide on, so I picked Ushijima just to fill out the roster.

OLB: Agon
    OLB: Kakei

Agon and Shin can do just about everything when it comes to defense. They can stop the run or the pass, and even rush the quarterback. Kakei's quite good as a linebacker too, and with his height he can drop down on pass coverage, or stop the outside runs.

CB: Taka
    FS: Riku

Marco and Riku are perfect safeties, as they can both come into the box to stop the run if the need arises. Marco with his football IQ is good for giving directions to the defense, as that is one of the main abilities of a safety. From a safety's position you can see the whole field, and you've got to make the defense adapt to the changes of the offense. Ikkyuu and Taka are great in pass coverage, thanks to their speed, and both have great catching ability to get those picks.
    You just copied the Japanese Team without a few additionals :P

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately interesting topic. I think I'll just put the team I have always fantasized about when it comes to Eyeshield 21.

Offense (I'm Canadian)

QB- Clifford D. Louis

Halfback- Kobyawaka Sena

Full back- Patrick "Panther" Spencer

--------------------------------------------------

Offensive Line:

Center- Mr. Don

LOFG- Kurita

ROFG- Banba

LOT- Hera "Hercules" Kureji

ROT- Gaou

-------------------------------------------

Wide Receivers

WR- Monta Taoru

WR- Honjou Taka

TE- Agon Kongo

---------------------------------

Defense-

Defensive Line-

LDT- Ootawara Makoto

RDT- Mr. Don

LDE- Gaou Rikaya

RDE- Nakabou "Chuubou" Akira

------------------------------------------------------

Defensive Backs

MLB- Seijourou Shin/Tatanka

ROLB- Tatanka

LOLB- Mushanokoji Shien

CB- Bud Walker

CB- Honjou Taka

FS- Maruko "Marco" Reiji

FS- Patrick "Panter" Spencer

------------------------------------------

Sepcial Teams-

The positions stay mostly the same except for Marco and Panther who are switched out with Yamamoto Takeru and Kurita.

-----------------------------------------

Situation changes

In the situation in which we play a team that does on specialize on one thing, example Seibu Wildgun Mans (it's Wildgun Mans, I have no idea why the name makes no grammatical sense in English)

Tatanka will play MLB ALONG with Seijourou Shin and Shin covers all the Sacks and Running plays while Tatanka worries mostly with the pass plays.

In the case of a powerful opponent the TE Agon Kong will be switched with a H-back played by Yamamoto Takeru.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast