Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seniority of the SS Captains & Implications on Their Strength

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mifune_Taichou's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Captain Haoris?

Ive always wandered about this. Does full sleeve haori mean stronger/older captain? I always took this to be the case, however when Urahara got made a brand new captain he already had the full sleeved haori..
    Credit to Thepocolypse for the Awesome sig

Shut up and drink your bleach juice!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Josear XIII's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Captain Haoris?

The databook does says that captains that has long sleeves are the seniors captains, and the sleeveless are junior captains. There is a lot of controversy about this but i trust into the senior and junior thing

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josear XIII View Post
    The databook does says that captains that has long sleeves are the seniors captains, and the sleeveless are junior captains. There is a lot of controversy about this but i trust into the senior and junior thing
    Thats what I thought but didnt urahara get the senior haori straight away? what was that about lol?

Also when it comes to Kenpachi-I wander is he a senior or junior captain because he is wearing a sleeveless haori BUT i think he took it from the Kenpachi he killed-so maybe that guy was a junior but Zaraki isnt anymore?

Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my theory would be that is not for the time you pass being shinigami but your worth as shinigami of a whole, Urahara had dominated the 4 ways of the shinigami also is a scientist genius and to there are two or three things that you can add. And urahara has his history as one of the corps commander, and high praised by yuroichi.

But to counter that we have byakuya who is adpet into three of the shinigami ways and is a high ranked member into the shinigami society So its weird.

And you can count the members of the gotei who wears long sleeves and they seem to be really seniors

kenpachi for me wouldnt count since his haori as you have said is from another captain

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Eternal_Breath's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

well lets have a look at the captains who wear them
    yamamoto: older than god, stronger than jesus, long sleeves
    soi fon: one of the younger weaker captains, no sleeves
    ichimaru: when you think about it he's definatly one of the young guys but implied to be quite strong, no sleeves
    unohana: old enough to be your great grandma's great grandma and implied to be one of the stongest, long sleeves
    aizen: in theory it's possible he could be a senior captain and we all know that he's a TANK, long sleeves
    byakuya: not too much older than gin with middle to higher range strength, no sleeves
    Komamura: I'm going on a limb and saying he's one of the younger and weaker captains, no sleeves
    kyoraku: old enough to be jesus' womanising frat mate and is one of the strongest, long sleeves
    tosen: like aizen he could be considered a senior in theory except with middle level strength, long sleeves
    hitsuguya: i didn't realise the army needed new recruits this young and for someone who can shoot ice dragons he's a push over, no sleeves
    kenpachi: captain since tbtp arc (though wasn't seen) and is however strong as kubo decides to make him in the chapter, torn off sleeves though they may have been longer before kenpachi "customised" them
    mayuri: in theory he could be one of the more senior captains though lets be honest he's far from being the strongest
    ukitake: old enough to be jesus' calm & quiet frat mate and is one of the strongest despite illness, long sleeves

so i'd say that they represent seniority more than strength. oh and don't bother doing the same kind of comparison with the tbtp characters, it just makes things confusing and inconclusive
    Last edited by Eternal_Breath; July 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal_Breath View Post
    well lets have a look at the captains who wear them
    yamamoto: older than god, stronger than jesus, long sleeves
    soi fon: one of the younger weaker captains, no sleeves
    ichimaru: when you think about it he's definatly one of the young guys but implied to be quite strong, no sleeves
    unohana: old enough to be your great grandma's great grandma and implied to be one of the stongest, long sleeves
    aizen: in theory it's possible he could be a senior captain and we all know that he's a TANK, long sleeves
    byakuya: not too much older than gin with middle to higher range strength, no sleeves
    Komamura: I'm going on a limb and saying he's one of the younger and weaker captains, no sleeves
    kyoraku: old enough to be jesus' womanising frat mate and is one of the strongest, long sleeves
    tosen: like aizen he could be considered a senior in theory except with middle level strength, long sleeves
    hitsuguya: i didn't realise the army needed new recruits this young and for someone who can shoot ice dragons he's a push over, no sleeves
    kenpachi: captain since tbtp arc (though wasn't seen) and is however strong as kubo decides to make him in the chapter, torn off sleeves though they may have been longer before kenpachi "customised" them
    mayuri: in theory he could be one of the more senior captains though lets be honest he's far from being the strongest
    ukitake: old enough to be jesus' calm & quiet frat mate and is one of the strongest despite illness, long sleeves

so i'd say that they represent seniority more than strength. oh and don't bother doing the same kind of comparison with the tbtp characters, it just makes things confusing and inconclusive
    Yh because out of all the vaizard captains only Shinji had that haori so by that theory he's their senior.

It does seem to be linked to seniority but as we have said Urahara throws a monkey wrench into that. what Josear said could be the only explaination-perhaps because he was already a corps commander in the Omnitsukido he got the long sleeved one...or maybe its to do with actual age...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Eternal_Breath's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mifune_Taichou View Post
    Yh because out of all the vaizard captains only Shinji had that haori so by that theory he's their senior.

It does seem to be linked to seniority but as we have said Urahara throws a monkey wrench into that. what Josear said could be the only explaination-perhaps because he was already a corps commander in the Omnitsukido he got the long sleeved one...or maybe its to do with actual age...
    actually there's also the problem with Ginrei Kuchiki who i would presume to be one of the older captains has a no sleever as well. i dunno maybe this was done so he'd resemble and older byakuya more or some other reason

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josear XIII View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I have always believed that this was just a fan-made theory. I know that quite a few people believe it, but no one has ever showed that this was substantiated by something from Kubo.

I am more inclined to believe that it is just a style preference by Kubo, especially after Urahara immediately having sleeves upon becoming captain. Having formerly been 3rd seat in another division does not logically imply anything in regards to seniority.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member poobert's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seniority of the SS Captains & Implications on Their Strength

It might not be just seniority as a captain. Uruhara was effectively Yoroichi's second. He trained with her and led the prison guard for a long time. I would assume his battle ability would be similar, if not greater. He is also the head of the research institute, which I believe he must have informed Yama about when he was promoted, because it does not seem like the thing you would do on a whim. That could have influenced his decision to give uruhara the sleeves. He could just be a superior shinigami and was only promoted once there was someone that could take his place as prison guard.

But to be honest, I have not read the information about the sleeves first hand. Just something that i picked up on this forum.
    My blog. Not very interesting, but if you are bored and want to burn time, there are pages of junk to read!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

My take on that(as long as we do not get a confirmed cannon source) is that the haori can be customized to some extent by each captain(in other words kubo made them to fit his characters and give them a sense of individuality). Other than that, I do not think there is much to look into.

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I was thinking is that it could have something to do with fighting style. It seems to me the captains with no sleeves are more into hack and slash.

Hitsugaya slashes his sword around loads, so does Byakuya. By comparison Shunsui, Aizen and Mayuri all have an economical 9in terms of movement of the arms) fighting style. Maybe they choose which type haori they want because of how much freedom they want in their arms. Just a thought.

Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukisama View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I have always believed that this was just a fan-made theory. I know that quite a few people believe it, but no one has ever showed that this was substantiated by something from Kubo.

I am more inclined to believe that it is just a style preference by Kubo, especially after Urahara immediately having sleeves upon becoming captain. Having formerly been 3rd seat in another division does not logically imply anything in regards to seniority.
    Wish i had but it was in a forum a long time ago, they did put a japanese text over and then translated, now is when im hearing that there are people who say that is a fan made theory

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more of a fan made theory. As said, Urahara threw a wrench in that one. Who knows though, I mean, it seems to much to simply be a coincidence that the 5 seemingly strongest and most senior captains of teh SS arc were wearing full haoris. Obviously the youngest of the full haori bunch is Aizen, but it's likely that he was promoted to 5th squad captain right after the vizards were banished (displayed captain level power, was already a VC at the time, etc.), which for all we know, is longer than any other SS arc captains.

BUt the Urahara throws a wrench into the seniority thing, he was just a 3rd seat prior to becoming captain, and he has a full haori. It could be based on power I guess, like, you have to prove that you are a powerful captain to receive a full haori, but that's still kind of eery to me.

At this point, the most sensible answer in my opinion to explain for the haoris is personal preference. Whether that be for practicality (like, Soi Fon, quick movements and all) or style (Kenpachi's ripped sleeve haori). The senior captains probablyt hink the full haori looks better on them for their age and that it makes them look wiser.
    Current Theories/Beliefs for Bleach:
    -Barragan and Halibel arn't goners yet-Confirmed
    -Ukitake has an absorb and redirect type shikai (think baby nel vs. Dardonii's cero)-Confirmed
    -The VL army/group that Aizen supposedly has doesn't exist-Pending/Waiting for confirmation on Wonderweiss
    -The Vizards have ulterior motives, by ulterior I mean they arn't just going to be goody-two-shoes and help out the SS that betrayed them just to get back at Aizen-Pending

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Izkity's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd view seniors as being there a long LONG time. Like thousands of years long. I don't think Mayuri should be on that list.

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Izkity View Post
    I'd view seniors as being there a long LONG time. Like thousands of years long. I don't think Mayuri should be on that list.
    Yh and Urahara defo not straight away-i mean they just made him a captain and gave him a full sleeved haori. The only thing I could think of is maybe they measure your reiatsu with some instrument and then if you have over a certain amount you get the full sleeved one-but then again I really dont think Mayuri has more reiatsu that Gin or Byakuya.

i guess it must just be customizable.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast