Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finland won the Eurovision!!

Schrödinger's cat 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anax's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finland won the Eurovision!!

*comes in*
    Sorry for being late, Greek guy here, I just got lost in the way of life...

For all I know, 4-5 years ago no one in Greece cared about Eurovision, but everyone had a change of heart I guess... The closer we get to the last contest, the more public interest it attracted, the more it was discussed by the media, the more gossip went around, the more people were sad that we didn't win, the more tomatoes we threw at our own when they came back empty handed. Last year, when we won I could almost expect a statue be raised in the name of Elena Paparizou!! Oh, well, let's get on to the actuall contest of 2006.

First of all, I'm really happy for Finlandl! It has nothing to do with 40 years of trying to win, as I see each contest as a separate event with different songs and people in it. What I liked was how different Lordi were, despite their song not living up to the hype of their costumes. I was happy because:
    Quote Originally Posted by boffenjl
    i love it!!! Lordi! in a contest of overmakeupped popgirls singing anout weird stuff lordi comes in and
    mops the floor with em! glorious!
    ...yup, couldn't possibly word it any better, thanks boffenjl!

As for Greece? We were the hosts and what did we do? Once again we made a salad of it all, mixing all sorts of eras in a bowl, trying to show what? Who knows! Some parts of the opening ceremony where downright insulting towards our ancestors, but hey it wasn't satire gone overboard, it was supposedly the image we wanted foreigners to have about us... People dressed like soldiers of 500 B.C. dancing Can-Can? Spare me...

Other things I should be ashamed of as a Greek? Plenty! When Lordi won, Sakis anounced the name Theodoros Russopoulos, a representative of the government, as the person who would hand over the prize to Lordi. Instead that person just sat there with his wife doing nothing... In his stead the prize was handed to Lordi by the head of the channel responsible for the broadcast in Greece (a more or less "nobody", compared to the person who was supposed to hand in that prize). What were we told about that mistake? N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!
    The very same night Anna Vissi nearly cried, after having said everything was fine, the people loved her, she did her best, we were the winners either way etc. What did she expect? To win? With the song "Everything"? With a typical pop song? With only herself on stage? Where's the inovation? Where's anything out of our ordinary, mundane musical pop scene?
    Elena Paparizou, the previous winner, said she was greatly dissatisfied, that Anna deserved a lot more and that "little kids like little monsters"! Well, sorry Elena for not being serious enough for such a contest!! Sorry for our taste!
    Hell every damned gossip show or news paper was picking on Lordi! I mean how DARE they win when WE are the hosts?! Of course no one even mentioned how Lordi got more points than any other contender ever (something I was wondering about when I saw that 292, though a friend of mine said others had gotten a lot more ). Hell, they did it when WE where the hosts, thought no one thought of this! A lot of people even expressed concern as to the future of music () and opinions of the sort: "They don't make songs like they used to"

Finally, a reason to be proud? Hope? YESH! "Greece gives 12 points tooooo.... FINLAND!!" Take that reporters, gossipists and politicians! Don't bite your tongues, you might die of poisoning! Greece isn't those guys on TV, it isn't the reporters, the gossipists OR the politicians!! Greece was in those 12 points! 12 points we ALWAYS give to Cyprus, though thank the gods this time we didn't have to, since they were disqualified... (of course political voting is a matter of its own). I wonder what Eurovision would be like if people voted for songs instead of countries...

These were my thoughts for the contest and my country, spat here without remorse or regret! I'm happy to be carrying one weight less on my back! Go go Lordi! Go go Finland! May your contest next year be THE BEST

p.s.: To vote you call on the number they show on the channel responsible for the broadcast in your country or send an SMS in the other number they give or just do as they tell you (and they do tell you). This year I didn't vote because they went overboard with the prices! It was 1,10 EUR per SMS... last year it was 1 EUR! I mean, what's it gonna be next year? (1,10 EUR isn't much, but the way they handled the matter, KNOWING people don't pay attention to monetery fees on such events, doesn't feel right).
    ~Schrödinger's Cat

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nawulf's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah, thanks Anax. What a good post! Looks like every country has mocked Lordi because of how they look. Haha, and they won after all!

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Pazuzu's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Finland. =D Jawsome song.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurray for Finland

but the song and the band was really...err....different...

But to be honnest...i don't give a damn thing for that stupid show after they allowed grown musicians to perform...
    that poor show had fallen into the same gap as nearly everything on the TV...mainstream...

I really liked the Show in the past...but today....pfft...instead i could watch Pop Idol or some other mainstream crap....
    [img width=364 height=170]http://666kb.com/i/ag5fgggiye01kqvhy.png[/img]
    <br />
    by Cosmic Debris
    <br />
    [quote author=Ivotas link=topic=5091.msg116615#msg116615 date=1154398588]<br />We are Rush and we do things Rush style. It really is simple like that.[/quote]

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeez ... i watched the whole Eurovision and i have to say that the level i low low low ( still there were some exception ).

... Finland winning with this ultra ultra sorry for the word Kitsch. I'm not sure if they intended it but even if they did ,
    that just prooved how pathetic or tasteless we've become in europe , bombarded by those commercial and lacking of originality tracks from people who only wants to make money and had no talent at all ( 50 cent on top of the list :-p ) .

When they came out i thought they were just making fun of the Eurovision ( and i liked it ). But winning it with "that"
    they just showed how miserable and meaningless that competition have become. Maybe voting for them the European wanted to show their mecontentment. If that's what that group intented , i'm 100% with them.

Eurovision sucked and will suck again.

Don't get me wrong i like all form of rock ... but that was pathetic, and Lordi knows it. Don't believe me? Go ask them!

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Adam_xx's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDoogins
    wtf is eurovision?!

ok im from australia so go easy on me...
    I'm in aus aswell... xD
    It was on SBS...

Lolz..
    Finland was like the only hardmetal thingo...x3
    I couldn't believe it myself when they won..
    I personally didn't like it very much, lol... xD

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member JeffDoogins's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aDaMz
    I'm in aus aswell... xD
    It was on SBS...

Lolz..
    Finland was like the only hardmetal thingo...x3
    I couldn't believe it myself when they won..
    I personally didn't like it very much, lol... xD
    hahahahaha, i thought it was some kind of donating thing i.e world vision hahahahahaha

hahaha-ha-h................... eh' well i found it funny...... any way, just heard the song, its not tooo bad but i think i'll stick with the screaming jets & the chilli peppers
    All is fair in Scanlation and Scanlator

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bibichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I was really happy that Finaland won, because I like Lordi a lot. I fell in love with Hard Rock Hallelujah before I even knew that they were going to perform it on ESC. Actually, I was rather shocked to learn of that.

But their performance proved that people wanted something new and different, because certainly not every single Hard Rock fan voted, they probably weren't even watching. We (as in the German participants) followed the same strategy, although not very successful; country is probably not popluar enough in Europe. We should've sent someone like Rammstein, Die Toten Hosen or Scooter (even though in don't like them), because they can really fill the masses with enthusiasm.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

imagine if great britain sends Iron Maiden next year....

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bah, the Eurovision has become superficial. Everyone votes for their neighbours, and seeing as Britain is despised at the moment we ain't got a hope in hell. Ever.

Anyway, I voted for Finland x3
    <br /><br />&quot;I&#039;m not bad, I&#039;m just drawn that way!&quot;

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member siegfried's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

eurovision is a pop song contest that is only about politics.when I learned my country gave 8 points to armenia I knew it was political.because we were supposed to be in bad terms with them and this was a gesture to make the relitionship warmer.everybody said that too.but what about the quality of music?

that is why all the good groups that participate can only humiliate themselves.
    Things not going you way?You pick up your toys and go home.That is it?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know! It's terrible, they should go back to the old system where they had judges deciding.
    <br /><br />&quot;I&#039;m not bad, I&#039;m just drawn that way!&quot;

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

honestly i think they should stop having the contest... i cant see that it serves an entertainment purpose any more..
    if they could go back to the fun it seemed to be in the 60-70s and get out of the political crap then by all means
    keep it up! but as it is right now its just politics and that sucks.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you fit in Politics into the ESC?

Why don&#039;t you go on to kiss the ring on the finger of the hand which burned your existence to hell.<br />Classic quote from a good song.<br />I play mmorpgs, sorry but my several max level chars are better than your collection of movies.<br />

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liander
    Where do you fit in Politics into the ESC?
    right here

Quote Originally Posted by siegfried
    eurovision is a pop song contest that is only about politics.when I learned my country gave 8 points to armenia I knew it was political.because we were supposed to be in bad terms with them and this was a gesture to make the relitionship warmer.everybody said that too.but what about the quality of music?

that is why all the good groups that participate can only humiliate themselves.
    read the thread dude

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast