Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aizen: Not the Typical Anime Villain?

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aizen: Not the Typical Anime Villain?

Does anyone else think Aizen isn't the typical anime villain? Let me list the observations I made about him that suggest to me that he isn't the typical villain and may not be such a bad guy.

-He does not abuse or punish his subordinates. Even when they come close to being out of line, he does not do anything himself. He let Tousen do what he wanted with Grimmjow, but Aizen doesn't seem to be the type of person to give out punishments.

-He acts casually with his comrades and subordinates. I was surprised when he actually apologized when Luppi got aggravated when Luppi learned that he was just a diversion. He is also very casual with Tousen and Gin. Gin even talks to him like an equal instead of his superior. Aizen even lets Szayel off the hook when Szayel acted without Aizen's permission.

-He acts very nice to Inoue. Usually the villain would try to intimidate her and make her life hell to force her to do his bidding. Aizen just acts cool and simply tells her straight up his plan.

-This point may be up for debate, but Aizen doesn't seem to take interest in killing people unless it's necessary. He only tried to kill Hinamori, Rukia, Byakuya, Ichigo and Hitsugaya because they were the enemy and because they got in his way to the point where they were annoyances. He didn't want to kill Renji and he didn't even bother to finish off Komamura. Furthermore, he didn't even bother to attack Isane and Unohana (I'm 100% sure he could of taken them out quickly if he wanted to).

Now, I want to discuss his actions in the Soul Society. My reasoning is that he knew he had to gain hollow powers to further his limits as a fighter. To do this, he would need the Hyogoku and he would most likely have to live amongst the hollows to learn about them. Now, he knows what it would look like if he lived among the hollows. The Soul Society would try to kill him (I mean they tried to execute Rukia for some BS reason, jeez), so he knew SS would become his enemy sooner or later. Therefore, he would be punished for being a determined fighter and wanting to reach new heights.
    ---Knowing this, he took the necessary precautions to prepare for a war that he knew the SS would start with him. He devised a thorough plan to get the item that would help in his quest for more power: the Hyogoku. He did what he did to get it and be able to leave in one piece. He just hit a few road blocks on the way, which he had to take care of to ensure his own safety. Those road blocks were:

-Taking out Hinamori whose obsession could prematurely reveal his position to the other captains.
    -Taking out Hitsugaya because he predicted that Hitsugaya would try to come after him, especially knowing the relationship Hitsugaya has with Hinamori (obviously Aizen was right).
    -Taking down Ichigo, Renji and Komamura for coming in his way especially since Aizen wasn't planning on targeting them. I think he wanted to take down Rukia because he basically doesn't like her or his brother. That's the most I can say about that for now.

This idea about Aizen's character came to me when I heard Zomari's embarrassing plea to Byakuya. Shinigami automatically labeled Hollows as bad guys and themselves as good guys. I mean yea Hollows eat humans but isn't slashing down Hollows similar in a sense? Shinigami will slash down a Hollow as soon as they see one, even if the Hollow isn't doing anything. I'm pretty sure the usual shinigami would kill Nell, Dondo and Pesche even if they were just playing. Aizen knew this and knew he would be in danger when he decided to go after Hollow powers so he made war on the SS before they could make war on him.

Personally, Aizen seems alright. He is just suffering the consequence of seeking more power (which isn't a bad thing because all fighters are determined to get stronger). What may look like evil actions are just retaliations to the SS's strict rules. It's quite similar to Ukitake and Kyoraku fighting Yama-jii when they took down the execution bird. Furthermore, some of his actions don't even seem bad at all. He forced Inoue to come to Hueco Mundo but he's not hurting her or anything. He's treating her like and guest and all he wants his a favor from her, which he couldn't get under any other circumstances.

Aizen's character doesn't really fit the villain role and it is funny because Ichigo is in the same boat as Aizen, yet Ichigo is labeled as a good guy. Aizen wants to be stronger and Ichigo wants to be stronger. Aizen wants to utilize hollow powers to gain power and Ichigo utilizes hollow powers to gain power. Aizen slashes down enemies that are in the way of his goals and Ichigo does the same thing. So why is Aizen labeled the bad guy and Ichigo is labeled the good guy? It's because Aizen hangs out with hollows and Ichigo hangs out with Shinigami and the SS have taken upon themselves to label hollows as the bad guys even though the Shinigami's actions are just as bad as the Hollows (Killing your own just because they stayed in the real world too long? Jeez).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Vegetoacs's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aizen: Not the Typical Anime Villain?

Upon reflection of those points, I think we need to view Aizen for what he truly is; A master manipulator. Heck, even his shinigami powers reflect this in his ability to hypnotise and control other's perceptions. I think we see quite a bit of this in his reletionship with the Espada. As you've stated, he never hands out punishment, and on the contrary, acts quite cordially, without any fear at all. This is probably what throws most of the hollows off right to begin with. He seems like this benevolent, fearless, ideal being that just happens to have similar goals to the Hollow hierachy of Huneco Mundo. Whenever punishment is dealt out, it's dealt out by a subordinante, but not of either's choosing. He simply escalates the conflict by adding his touch here and there. We saw quite a bit of this in Soul Society while he was in the final stages of his plan to obtain the Hogyoku.

Also, we're not entirely sure becoming the ultimate power within his reality is his ultimate goal. It seems more like a means to an end. Presently, given his movement towards creating an "Ou Ken", it would suggest that his primary objective is to become the ruler of soul society, perhaps as well as Huneco Mundo. Becoming ultimately powerful is just to prevent anyone from dethroning him once he acheives his ambitions. The reason why we can't be sure is he's never, as you put it "straight up" with anyone (kinda like Urahara..lol), we've seen as recently as the last anime episode where he appears to be manipulating Orihime into using her power upon the Hogyoku, to what exact end we do not know, but can speculate about.

I did quite like your point about living amongst the hollows as research for when he attempted an ascension to Vizard. I've always thought of the hollows more as his means to the end of preventing Soul Society from being able to dominate him, as powerful as he is, before he can attain and master vizard powers that would eventually allow him to defeat anything without an assistance. Research is inclusive in the means to an end, i suppose, but never thought about it as directly

Another thing to consider here is Zomari's assertion that Shinigami have no right to act as "gods" when they slaughter hollows. While they do appear quite high and mighty at times, we have to consider what they're actually doing. Their ilk is charged with the protection of helpless souls that cannot pass into Soul Society, which actually also extends to the helpless souls that become hollows. When a hollow is killed, the original spirit is freed, although i'm not sure if that extends to situations such as that of the Menos, where a blending of souls has occured, with one soul eventually become the dominant one of the mix. And if we are to believe that the king of Soul Society is "God", then the shinigami most certainly DO have the god given right to slay hollows. I think you'll find most of zomari's words were said out of fear if nothing else, given that hollow's most dominant emotion is that of fear.

Finally, I believe you are correct in the assertion that Aizen is no normal villain, by our traditional standards, but if you look at real world history, and the tyrants that have risen to power using means of manipulation, fear and the like, you'll probably find this brand of evil is by far, more terrorifying than anything a blunt instrument rank and file bad guy is ever capable of.
    Last edited by Vegetoacs; December 01, 2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For the Creator of this topic:

Aizen isn't anyway near typical but dose cross that line because the only way he knew how to gain power was by killing Rukia and retreving that Urahara hidden inside her but since that plan wreaked at the very last second he did something that was not as 100% deady but still all the same could have killed Rukia while Ichigo never cross that line expect when he originally got his powers but those where only braking a set by SS rule not a moral rule of killing.

but you clearly forgot you basics Shinigami work which is when a corrupted soul who's become a hollow is defeated they are cleansed and sent to SS ,unless in situations like now where the souls are to evil to be "cleansed" but not bad enough in their human life that they go to hell...they just die. When a truly evil soul who's been evil before they died in the human sense of dying and then are defeated by a Shinigami they are sent to hell and I think it's the same way for Sado and Orihimes power(never explained) but not so for Ishida. as explained souls are permanently killed creating an inbalance when done on a very large scale (when quincies where as plentiful as Shinigami) so I think they allow Ishida to slip by.

But Aizen is no sense of any kind of mold ,other then good guy turned bad guy looking for power to become a god like figure, in the way he dose things similar to any other villain in Manga or anime. Maybe Kamen Rider and Power Rangers where villain's lackeys are given chance after chance before finally being finished off or converted to good in the end. And they're never usually punished harshly but scolded. And he dosen't mind Gin talking to him like that because they are familiar with each other they've been scheming together since before Rukia became a Shinigami and Probably the same with Tousen. Just Tousen like to show respect

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Aizen dont act like a typical bad guy because he knows how to control everyone and make them fight one another with just a few touches. For example, aizen knew that tousen hates what grimmjow did and he knew tousen was going to attack and he let it happen without himself handing out the punishment himself. Like gin said, aizen enjoys controlling what people do.

Secondly, Aizen and ichigo's aims are different. Aizen wants to achieve power to dominate the whole world while ichigo only aim to protect his friends. Think in this situation, if not for aizen, ichigo would not have attempt to get more power. Ichigo achieve shikai to save rukia whose capture order was from aizen(The council was dead aready). Ichigo achieve bankai to save rukia from being excuted, once again was aizen's orders. Ichigo became a vaizard to save inoue, who at Aizen's orders was captured. So their aim is different.

Thirdly, i doubt Aizen went to hueco mundo for research. I think he did his research in SS. I think the reason for aizen to go into hueco mundo is to gain domiance there and build up an army of arrancar.

SO to answer your question, aizen isnt a typical bad guy because he is way too smart and compose.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate how people say that Aizen knew tousen was going to do that because Aizen has no idea what anybody going to fully do it's to unpredictable especially after his nearly perfectly plan to get away with murdering rukia came undone because of Ichigo become a such a wild card

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AngryChubbs's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree that aizen is just a manipulator and that is pretty on par with most evil villans. they generally want to be the ones in control. they want everything and they will try to get everything they want. going by that, aizen is the typical villan except for how he treat those around him. unlike most villans, aizen actually has a brian and knows how to use it to plan things out. and while he may not yell at the espada, he fears nothing and knows that if he has to dirty his sword, that he can without the slightest of worries.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JioFreed666 View Post
    I hate how people say that Aizen knew tousen was going to do that because Aizen has no idea what anybody going to fully do it's to unpredictable especially after his nearly perfectly plan to get away with murdering rukia came undone because of Ichigo become a such a wild card
    Actually, Aizen knew that Tousen was going to attack grimmjow. Aizen did not expect Ichigo to be able to reach SS in the first place. Aizen included lchigo last minute into his plan to distract SS. Who would have in their craziest mind can predict a ryoko attaining bankai in that short while. If you calculate the probabilities, i would say 1 in 1million or 10 million....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aizen is manipulative in the SS to simply get what he needed and that was the Hyogoku and a safe way out (that's why he recruited the three remaining SS guardians).

His Hueco Mundo manipulation is probably because he wants to root out the people in his army who aren't loyal. He knows Grimmjow isn't completely loyal, but Aizen isn't the type of person to give out punishment, but luckily Tousen is around and Tousen doesn't mind dishing out punishment.

With the Shinigami and Hollow deal, yes Shinigami purify the soul/send them to hell, but they are still cutting the Hollows down. It's not really the Hollow's fault, they are just corrupted human spirits. And so what if they eat humans? Humans go to the afterlife and some become Shinigami and then Shinigami die and are reincarnated by humans. Corrupted humans (hollows) contribute in both the deaths of humans and Shinigami, so Hollows are a part of the balance. It's similar to animals/insects in wildlife.

Also, I'd like to add something. Did Aizen ever state that he was going to vaporize Karakura Town in order to make another Key? Isn't that what Yamamoto just assumed? All they know is that Aizen researched where the original key might be and how to make another. I haven't really seen Aizen say that he is going to use the method to make another key. Furthermore, we don't know what he's going to do when he reaches the Soul King's realm. We know he's not going to have tea and crumpets but we can't be sure he's going to assassinate anyone.
    ---But if Aizen IS doing what Yamamoto suggests, why is it really evil? Since he lives with Hollows, the Shinigami have already marked him the enemy. Furthermore, since the Shinigami associate themselves with humans, Aizen feels that the humans are his enemies as well, so it would just be like taking down the enemy. I don't think it would be a problem if Ichigo was able to come up with a nuke and nuked all of Hueco Mundo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus-Tails View Post
    With the Shinigami and Hollow deal, yes Shinigami purify the soul/send them to hell, but they are still cutting the Hollows down. It's not really the Hollow's fault, they are just corrupted human spirits. And so what if they eat humans? Humans go to the afterlife and some become Shinigami and then Shinigami die and are reincarnated by humans. Corrupted humans (hollows) contribute in both the deaths of humans and Shinigami, so Hollows are a part of the balance. It's similar to animals/insects in wildlife.
    But when a soul gets devoured by a Hollow, it stays part of the Hollow and doesn't get to go to SS, at least as long as the Hollow exists. So in a sense, Hollows disrupt the natural balance like Quincys, only less permanently.

Quote Quote:
    ---But if Aizen IS doing what Yamamoto suggests, why is it really evil? Since he lives with Hollows, the Shinigami have already marked him the enemy. Furthermore, since the Shinigami associate themselves with humans, Aizen feels that the humans are his enemies as well, so it would just be like taking down the enemy. I don't think it would be a problem if Ichigo was able to come up with a nuke and nuked all of Hueco Mundo.
    You don't see anything wrong with the collateral damage of people who not only are unaware of a war, but have no idea what Shinigami even are?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that a part of war? There are usually civilian casualties in the pursuit of the win.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but usually the casualties are those of the enemy's nation. The people in this situation are neutral party. Aizen's plan is just a mass slaughter so that he can gain something to use to get into the King's realm.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The casualties are the citizens of the enemy nation who may or may not agree with the war going on. If they don't agree then they are neutral but they still are casualties.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Aizen is mass killing for his own purposes...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Which is a basic villian goal I.S. how are humans enemies when usually beside the case of The Kurosaki family and Orihime and Sado no one knows that Aizen is the enemy in the and have the power to fight? so They are pretty neutral until they state a side

Now as for stuff above the last 3 post
    Yamamoto could be very corrupt himself along with the rest of SS if you have have that view point like Tousen dose of Room 46 since they are the one who judge Shinigami but probably let the Shinigami who killed His idol off easy.

Hollows work as more of a blob where it gains more mass/power as it absorbs more but that mass absorbed originally is still part of that blob until it's killed

I say really that This is going to be another "Kira" from death note cool calculated till everything he originally plans falls apart completely.Which would be Gin and Tousen captured or dead FOR REAL no escape plan, Espada dead, Aizen's Zanpakuto no response to his commands and the SS heavy hitters right infront of him with no escape)
    Last edited by JioFreed666; December 03, 2007 at 02:00 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus-Tails View Post
    The casualties are the citizens of the enemy nation who may or may not agree with the war going on. If they don't agree then they are neutral but they still are casualties.
    That's just it, the humans aren't citizens of the enemy nation. Even so, Aizen would be committing an act that would under modern law be considered a war crime. The fact that an international body of laws was created that defined what is and is not acceptable in war implies some kind of moral wrongness in certain actions. Generally, the mass slaughter of non-combatants is a no-no.

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast