Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: The Official character names in English

  1. #1
    Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    御伽の国
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    D Gray Man The Official character names in English

    Since shown in the animated omake of D.Gray Man episode 61, I guess we should consider the issue about character names solved. Apparently they were shown earlier as well, but that was in omake chapters.

    They are as followed:

    Allen Walker
    The earl of millenium (apparently without capital letters)
    Lenalee Lee
    Yu Kanda
    Lavi
    Arystar Krory
    Miranda Lotto
    Komui Lee
    Bookman
    Cross Marian
    Froi Tiedoll
    Winters Socalo
    Klaud Nine
    Kevin Yeegar
    Noise Marie
    Hevlaska
    Road Kamelot
    Tyki Mikk
    Skinn Bolic
    Devit
    Jasdero
    Lulu Bell
    Lero
    Timcanpy
    Jeryy
    Reever Wenhamm
    Daisya Barry
    Suman Dark


    Update:
    Asia Branch (as published on 6th ending theme single)

    For
    Bak Chang
    Sammo Han Won
    Rohfa
    Rikei
    Shifu


    Update #2 (from the compilation books):
    Gigi Lujon
    Zuu Mei Chang
    Cache Dop
    Legory Peck
    Mark Burrough
    Last edited by riki; February 02, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

  2. Thanks 14 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #2
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kirimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Woo! Thanks for the list. XD It's an extension of the list printed in vol.6, so it's good to get the new characters. Unfortunately, as Lavi said, Kanda forgot all about the Asia Branch personnel. T_T

    Also, typo spotted: Skinn Bolic

    Thanks for pointing out ... Fixed ~P
    Last edited by Predator; December 05, 2007 at 01:24 AM.

  4. #3
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member haya5h1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Malaysia
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    I guess the next best thing is Viz's translations, though I'm not sure how correct they are anymore since they insist on referring to both Hevlaska and Mahoja as "he."

  5. #4
    Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    御伽の国
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by kirimi View Post
    Woo! Thanks for the list. XD It's an extension of the list printed in vol.6, so it's good to get the new characters. Unfortunately, as Lavi said, Kanda forgot all about the Asia Branch personnel. T_T
    .....
    Yeah .... Asia Branch has been forgotten, but I think that they would have less problem, as there are almost no "L"versus"R" and "B"versus"V" conflicts. Their names are asian after all.

    .... Judging by the reaction, that might've been someones fault. It's possible we'll be able to update the list later.

  6. #5
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shaddix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Country
    Spain
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Is this list totally reliable?
    I mean, I already knew all the names except...

    Alystar Krory -> Arystar Krory
    Winters Socalo - > Winters Sokaro
    Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine
    Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric
    Devit -> Debitt

    Then the names get bizarre for me...I don't like some of them anymore...

  7. #6
    Proofreaders 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Krory's name is spelled as "Arystar" in a talk room in volume 6 of the manga, which makes me think that it's more likely to be the correct version.

    (Also, with the Earl, it's "millenium" - that's just a misspelling in the post. ^_^)

  8. #7
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
    Is this list totally reliable?
    I mean, I already knew all the names except...

    Alystar Krory -> Arystar Krory
    Winters Socalo - > Winters Sokaro
    Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine
    Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric
    Devit -> Debitt

    Then the names get bizarre for me...I don't like some of them anymore...
    They are from the omake from episode 61; you can see the screencaps here and like Digital_Eon stated, Arystar Krory's official name was posted in Vol. 6 omake.

    credit to the amazing GrayFoxx for this amazing sig ^.~

    suffer school withdrawal with rb

  9. #8
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member monkey d scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    Algeria
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by snoogen0120 View Post
    Arystar Krory's official name was posted in Vol. 6 omake.
    And confirmed in night 107 :

    Spoiler show


    And thanks Predator for the list^^

  10. #9
    Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    御伽の国
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
    Is this list totally reliable?
    [..]
    Then the names get bizarre for me...I don't like some of them anymore...
    Well .... The names are as reliable as the mangaka himself. That's the wierd part of this. Looks like DGM is one of the best examples of cooperative mangaka. How else could filler episodes turn out to be quite true and cannon?

    And still .... agreed about the names. Some of them are bizzare. Looking at the fillers, I always heard "Lulubell" being pronounced in a straight line. Now it turns out to be two names ... >_>

    Quote Originally Posted by monkey d scar View Post
    And thanks Predator for the list^^
    .... No need to thank me. I did this list to make it easier for translators and other members to find the right expression of the name quickly. As there was no thread for the names from vol.6 .... just had to make a new one. That's my duty, after all.

    .... Just thank the translators later. ^_^

  11. #10
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shaddix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Country
    Spain
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Then Arystar is official...and Alystar too? That's weird, having two possible names for a same character :S
    And still...
    Winters Socalo - > Winters Sokaro
    Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine...this is bizarre, Klaud...here Glénat (the editorial here) were using the official names and they used Cloud Nine, as well as Winters Sokaro...
    Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric, this is the less bizarre, but why that double N at the end of Skin?
    Devit -> Debitt, if they spell it like "Debitto", it should be at least written as Debitt with the double T...

  12. #11
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Personally, I always figured "Debitto" was really "David", so "Devitt" sort of makes sense. And I wish it WAS "Alystar Krory" because apparently his name comes from "Alastor Crowley", and Alystar is much more similar to that. Some of these names are just weird though, alot of extra letters and names that aren't spelled like they're pronounced... Ah well, Hoshino has spoken, and so shall it be! Thanks for posting this, Predator.
    Avatar by AnnouncerGuy


    Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

  13. #12
    Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    御伽の国
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
    Then Arystar is official...and Alystar too? That's weird, having two possible names for a same character :S
    That was a wishfull mistype on my transscript .... .... I played the RAW and wrote by sound and memory, but there were still some mistakes. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I have let my forum skills rust a bit during my absence.
    As you see it was fixed immediately. And I triple checked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
    And still...
    Winters Socalo - > Winters Sokaro
    Klaud Nine -> Cloud Nine...this is bizarre, Klaud...here Glénat (the editorial here) were using the official names and they used Cloud Nine, as well as Winters Sokaro...
    Skinn Bolic -> Skin Boric, this is the less bizarre, but why that double N at the end of Skin?
    Devit -> Debitt, if they spell it like "Debitto", it should be at least written as Debitt with the double T...
    *points to some previous posts* .... I agree, but it's not our choice. The names of characters are up to author, both Japanese and English. It's rare for the author himself to give the English spelling of the names, so it's very unusual in many senses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    Personally, I always figured "Debitto" was really "David", so "Devitt" sort of makes sense. And I wish it WAS "Alystar Krory" because apparently his name comes from "Alastor Crowley", and Alystar is much more similar to that. Some of these names are just weird though, alot of extra letters and names that aren't spelled like they're pronounced...
    *gasp* ...... Well even the original names are point of argue .... "Alastor Crowley" or "Aleister Crowley"? >_>
    Certainly, it's a fitting name for someone, who has hard time fitting in.

    I must quote for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    Ah well, Hoshino has spoken, and so shall it be! Thanks for posting this, Predator.
    .... And I repeat:
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    .... No need to thank me. I did this list to make it easier for translators and other members to find the right expression of the name quickly. As there was no thread for the names from vol.6 .... just had to make a new one. That's my duty, after all.

    .... Just thank the translators later. ^_^
    Last edited by Predator; December 06, 2007 at 08:09 PM.

  14. #13
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member haya5h1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Malaysia
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    *gasp* ...... Well even the original names are point of argue .... "Alastor Crowley" or "Aleister Crowley"? >_>
    And his real name was Edward Alexander Crowley in any case. Good job transcribing the lot!

    My theory on the English spellings is that at some point, Hoshino-sensei and Kubo Tite went drinking and decided to compete to see who could come up with the most bizarre romanizations for their characters' names. (Kubo is winning.)

  15. #14
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shaddix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Country
    Spain
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Hey, what about Bak Chan?
    Is this the real name? Because the ones who are editing the series in Spain named him "Baku Chang", and also named Fou as "Four".

  16. #15
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Official character names in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
    Hey, what about Bak Chan?
    Is this the real name? Because the ones who are editing the series in Spain named him "Baku Chang", and also named Fou as "Four".
    they haven't done the official names for the asian branch yet (manga or anime wise). my guess is that it will be revealed in the anime omake in the future by allen.

    credit to the amazing GrayFoxx for this amazing sig ^.~

    suffer school withdrawal with rb

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts