Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation Thread: (Use this thread when you seek advice.)

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what would you guys recommend?

May I also recommend the program Kanji gold (google search) it has many things you can use to teach yourself kanji. It's quite neat .

Have fun reading, and before you consult a dictionary, try to think what the meaning is based on context, the words before and after generally help you get what it's trying to say (though you probably already know this) it's just if you find yourself looking up word after word then reading won't be fun... and you might get annoyed and stop. and we wouldn't want that.

Never the less when you want some more help never hessitate to let us know
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, i started reading some dragon ball and bleach but the text was way to small for me at like 3 in the morning. The only problem i find is they use vocab that i have never heard of. I can understand most of the time but still im trying to get the hang of it

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it'd be good to not always read for 100% comprehension.
    Give yourself the freedom to take unknown words in context without looking them up. You'll understand more than you would think, and your brain will do all the mental leaps without you having to worry about it
    Other times you might want to go over every little nuance with a fine tooth comb.
    However, don't go to overboard looking up every word, because trust me, you will get very sick of it.
    Japanese news is good to listen to, again not for comprehension but just for letting the language flow over you..
    it's all about osmosis!!
        ┃   ┏━┃              ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┏━┃ ━━(゚∀゚)━━┛ ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┛  ┃              ┛┛
        ┛       ┛              ┛┛

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i do get japanese news on my tv. I hadnt thought of seeing it because it is far too complecated, but i guess it is more about absorption with that stuff

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah and the funny thing is, when you listen to stuff like that (Back when i was in my first year, I'd listen to japanese radio everyday (well it was a tape recorded when my friend went there)) you tend to remember what you were doing when certain songs start to play. Like when a popular song by the band 19 plays I remember playing megaman for the PS .

Things like that are pretty neat... but yeah the more i listened to the radio the more it seemed to "slow down" so the more you try to listen to it, the more you'll become used to it .
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i can follow anime pretty well. The news is something different. Are there any good places to download raw japanese tv? i would love to see some of the games shows and stuff again.

Im like that too with my music. D-technolife comes up (from bleach), i am in my host stay room, sitting in a seat thing on the floor watching a specific episode from bleach. I am soo like that with my music.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Youtube would work. go to the site jdrama to check out series that might be on it

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure exactly what you want to use your Japanese for in the future, but as far as news goes you could always read the asahi newspaper or the nikkei online if you're into business (the nikkei has an excellent 30 minute news program that is updated daily). I'd stay away from the yomiuri and the mainichi (just a personal preference).

I'm with everyone else though. Read everything you can (manga, novels, and especially the news) and watch everything that you can (check out d-addicts and jpopsuki for comedy shows and the like).

Speaking well and writing well come later, but for getting your comprehension levels up just be a sponge. Hard studying for grammar, vocabulary and kanji works well if you balance it out with the way the language is actually used (which is what TV is best for if you don't have a Japanese person to talk to).

It also helps if you have a major or area of focus (apart from manga) so that you can really focus your vocabulary in on that particular area (business, computer science, mathematics, history, etc.). This might not apply to you quite yet though.

So yeah, read the newspaper online and just take in as much as you can. Good luck with your studies!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What i want to do is be a translator, probably in the business sector. Sadly, after three years, three fucking years, i know about 200 kanji, maybe, so that rules out the newspaper for now.

For nikkei, do you mean online they have the news? because i would love to be able to watch it online.

Also, do you guys have any recommendations for shows to watch? i mean i know little about japanese television outside of anime and super sentai. The kinds of shows that i watch are basically anything. For example, i just started watching Rescue Me (Denis Leary is actually really good) recently and find it really good. I watch the law and orders, i watch the history channel, i like sci-fi stuff. I basically just want a good drama or good comedy that isnt that difficult to watch

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nihongaeri's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flunko
    it's all about osmosis!!
    This is just my own experience, but I highly recommend against any type of passive study (not that you're necessarily suggesting completely passive "osmosis"). In my experience I have made the most noticeable leaps in over all ability in Japanese (and to a degree English) when I actually made some kind of focused effort at acquiring the language. I lived in Japan for a tad over two years, having times when I was quite active in my studies and others when I was quite passive. Just being in Japan does do a lot, but I have met people who have lived in the country for over 5 years yet still don't speak anywhere near as well as I do. In my experience there is a huge difference in the abilities and progress of people who attempt to practice pure "osmosis" and those who actually focus and reflect on the language as they study it...
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoShweaty
    What i want to do is be a translator, probably in the business sector. Sadly, after three years, three fucking years, i know about 200 kanji, maybe, so that rules out the newspaper for now.
    Kanji, even more than the rest of the language, requires active study in my experience. Most of the study that I have done for kanji has been pretty at random. Attempt to read, right down words that I can't read, look them up, make a list in a notebook, quiz myself on their readings then on writing the characters, rinse, wash, repeat. I'm pretty good at reading now, but I do, in retrospect, wish I had been a tad bit more systematic with my kanji studies. Reason being that while I don't have problems reading a newspaper now, I have big problems writing most kanji from memory.
    Quote Quote:
    Also, do you guys have any recommendations for shows to watch?
    D-addicts was suggested as a source for Japanese TV above, and WinNY and Share both have a lot of shows available on them. As for specific shows, well, everyone has their own preferences, but some shows that I have liked... さんまのスーパーからくりTV (in particular I love the ご長寿早押しクイズ), ロンドンハーツ, あいのり, 行列の出来る法律相談所, キスだけじゃいや... And there any number of other shows that I've watched regularly. Then there's ドラマ, which are always fine and good... Right now I'm watching a 昼ドラ (read: "soap opera") with my wife which is quite entertaining actually (the acting is ridiculously overdone at parts and the story is completely contrived... which is pretty much the definition of "soap opera" I suppose though...)
    出産間近のうちの妻曰く「お産だけに、押さんといて!」
    そう。女性とは言えど見事に親父ギャグを発するのである。

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh absolutely! I'm certainly not recommending just sitting there vacantly listening to japanese. あくまでも it should be used just to reinforce your more systematic study routine... I just mean you shouldn't push yourself to the max with everything you do... there's japanese for squeezing every drop of meaning out of, and there's japanese to just enjoy and let glide into your ears...
    For kanji, I used a great set of 4 books which I would highly recommend... the colours go red then blue then orange then green, and the first two are called "basic kanji book" and the second two are called "intermediate kanji book"... pretty basic titles i know, but I think they're the best on the market. Especially the 3rd and 4th book. They don't just get you to memorise the characters, they give them to you in context, and also teach you about the history, construction, patterns etc etc of kanji. In short, I love them! They take you right up to the 1200 or so mark. And after that you can learn kanji as you encounter them or find one of the other few books that covers up to 2000. I think the one I'm working through at the moment is called "kanji power". They're pretty simple books, they just present the character, its readings and a few written examples, and then every now and then have a comprehension test. But it's useful for the way I study.
    For grammar etc, I found that reading the JLPT-aimed books were really good. They sum up everything very concisely. I particularly like the series that is printed in psychedelic colours, and goes right up to 一級. I can't remember the series title, I'll find it and get back to you. They have various books for grammar, vocab, reading comprehension, listening comprehension etc, all the areas on the test. They're good, because they're structured in levels. So you can work through them logically. Personally I got a lot more out of them than I ever did from stupid textbooks like 未来, おべんとう, 日本語毎日, and others like that. Those textbooks can only really be useful in a class situation.
    Um, I would list more good textbooks, but I sent all of mine home the other day... so my bookshelf is bare at the moment.
    Anyways, hope this helps a bit...
    oh, btw, if you're looking for raw shows, then http://bt.saiyaman.info/ has lots of bitorrent anime as well as "トリビアの泉" and a music chat show. Apparently there's something really good called "U-tube" which has heaps of stuff on it, but I don't know where it is, or how to spell it... I'll ask my friend and get back to you...
    Also you could try listening to お笑い... although a lot of it will probably go over your head, if you hang in there and keep watching it then you'll begin to tag along. just try searching for お笑い on livewire or something and you should find heaps of stuff.

Sorry for the massive post! I'm off to bed now.
        ┃   ┏━┃              ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┏━┃ ━━(゚∀゚)━━┛ ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┛  ┃              ┛┛
        ┛       ┛              ┛┛

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, thanks for your replies, long as they were :P.

Flunko you wouldnt happen to have any links to the kanji books you talked about because they sound like something i would be willing to do over the summer. Also for the JLPT textooks because i am in need of new grammer to learn.

Ill look into some shows. I am downloading eyeshield 21 right now so i can see what i get out of it. I dont watch much anime really so just watching raws for a while isnt gonna hurt me.

I was also considering reading whole volumes, writind down what i dont know as i go and then going back and looking that up. That way i can get what i can get out of the manga and not be going back and forth. I was reading Dragon Ball and piccolo, trunks, tien, and vegita got their asses kicked. Piccolo talked about how vegita has become a super saiyan and finally got to goku's level but the androids treated the fight as a joke and hurt his pride. Then kuririn went on some speech and he asked piccolo about what he was planning to do and Piccolo didnt know or didnt want to say what and kuririn said, arent we friends? and then Piccolo was like when the fuck were we friends?
    I never remember that happening, but Kuririn figured out that he was gonna fuse(gattai always reminds me of super sentai) with the other piccolo, wtf was his name....

Anyway, i posted that just to show that i am doing well enough to understand all that shit but it isnt good enough for me. That is why i am going to practice with some of this stuff.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had time, nor do now to read through the posts (will later) just want to inform you guys of Share and winny just incase you haven't used them before...

so yeah- here's a guide and place to download them

http://uguu.org/share/

winny is there too just check that page for a link to their winny guide (though I'd suggest using winny only for short times since yeah people can wreck havoc on your pc through it... )

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i could never get it to work. I could get as far as the search screen but nothing ever downloaded properly

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeoShweaty
    i could never get it to work. I could get as far as the search screen but nothing ever downloaded properly
    Go through the steps listed on that site, should get it to work... if not might be some problems with firewalls / routers or the like

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast