Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation Thread: (Use this thread when you seek advice.)

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what would you guys recommend?

i tried everything. Im just not gonna bother. I got enough raw manga anyway

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeoShweaty
    i tried everything. Im just not gonna bother. I got enough raw manga anyway
    Right, it's not just for manga though ^^. You can find lots of tv dramas and shows and such via the two programs as well
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ill give it one last try later[br]Posted on: May 31, 2006, 11:28:52 AM_________________________________________________i have some questions. I scan and typeset for fullswing and noticed that one of the characters uses a wierd way to end his sentences. I happened to be flipping through bleach and urahara also uses it. Here is an example:
    お久し振りっス
    now of course i know ohisashiburi but what is the っス at the end? I assume that it replaces です but why does he use that instead.

Also, i was watching G Gundam and there was this mummy fighter and this people recognized his ass and said something like 死んだはず。。 what does it mean? They translated it as he should be dead, so does it mean should in general or what?

Also, Vegita makes use of this verb alot and i am not sure of his intent most of the time. Here is an example of it (the context is that Trunks shot a ki beam at the androids in order to defeat them before they have a chance to do anything): くそやろうめつまらんことをしやがって。。。!! I understand that he is angry because he is cursing at trunks for ruining his fun (basically) but why use やがる? i have asked this before elsewhere but it just didnt stick i guess.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hi!
    I'll try answeringyour questions for you
    You're completely right in thinking that っス replaces 'desu' at the end. Basically the person can't be bothered saying the whole 'desu' but they are talking to someone they have to use polite (or halfway polite at least) speech with, so they shorten it to っス. Does that make sense? Lots of high school boys etc use it.

死んだはず, means exactly that.. "he should be dead", as in, they thought that he was dead but he's not OMG shock! You can use it if you lose something and you're like.. ここにあったはずだけど。。。

with ~やがる... it's something added onto the end of verbs which insults the person doing the verb... (well, not really insulting, just being rude really)... It can go on the end of any verb... So basically you have things like,
    ~なさる・なさいます (polite)
    ~する ・します(normal)
    ~しやがる・しやがります (impolite)
    The important thing is to remember that the end refers to who is doing the verb, not the person you are speaking to... So if someone was speaking about someone they don't respect to someone they do, then they'd say,
    あいつ、きやがりました (not きやがった)

Um, I hope that explains it a little bit.. There's a few other endings like that which go on the ends of verbs, but I don't have my handy dandy reference book with me and I can't remember them.
        ┃   ┏━┃              ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┏━┃ ━━(゚∀゚)━━┛ ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┛  ┃              ┛┛
        ┛       ┛              ┛┛

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

im not sure about やがる but i get the other stuff. Wait, oh i get it. That makes sense in context because the only time i have ever heard it is for people speaking down about another person. Thanks for your explanation

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay,
    I've got some links for you...
    First, there's the Kanji books that I was telling you about... there's 4 volumes which cover the kanji roughly like --> 1-250, 250-500, 500-800, 800-1200.
    The sites are from amazon.co.jp, I don't know what stores might stock them where you live... you may have to order them through amazon or amazon.co.uk or whatever...

基本漢字500 (english name: basic kanji 500) http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...184825-9592726

基本漢字500 Vol2. http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...184825-9592726

Intermediate kanji book―漢字1000PLUS (Vol.1) http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...184825-9592726

Intermediate kanji book―漢字1000PLUS (Vol.2) http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...184825-9592726
    Also, there's "kanji in context" which is alright as a backup to other study, but not as a stand alone kind of thing. It's one of the few that goes all the way up to 2000 though.

Then there's the JLPT books
    The 完全マスター Books are alright... just go to amazon.co.jp and search for them.
    Then the 実力アップ books are good.. they go from 3級 to 1級 and there's different ones for vocab, grammar, listening etc...
    Here's a few:
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...184825-9592726

Oh, and I read this book the other day. It was really really interesting! I'd reccomend it to anyone. It's called 日本語の練習帳, and it's a book about japanese for japanese people. Interesting.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

Anyways, hope this helps... Not sure how many you'll be able to find in your country.
        ┃   ┏━┃              ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┏━┃ ━━(゚∀゚)━━┛ ┃┃
      ━┏┛ ┛  ┃              ┛┛
        ┛       ┛              ┛┛

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, ill see about finding them but at least you gave me a start. Thank you
    edit: check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/489...Fencoding=UTF8
    I think ill be able to find it just fine[br]Posted on: June 09, 2006, 03:30:55 AM_________________________________________________anyway, i havent been able to start buying those kanji books considering i dont get paid till next week on thursday but i was wondering something after reading bleach on the crapper. Does Shinji speak in kansai-ben? i mean i saw alot of "nen"'s and "ya"'s in his speech and found it difficult to follow. [br]Posted on: June 17, 2006, 11:49:45 PM_________________________________________________anyone have an answer to this question? about the dialect of shinji

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry don't read bleach...
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ill scan the page when i get home so you can see, unless someone else answers

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

NeoShweaty, Hirako Shinji most certainly speaks in "Kansai-ben" along with the rest of the Vaizard members (to varying degrees, Sarugaki Hiyori and Hirako Shinji being the worst...mostly because they've gotten the most dialogue). In fact, the Vaizards are pretty much one big お笑い group where a lot of the gags they use are right out of Japanese comedic style.

As a sidenote, one of the biggest translation mistakes (in the Bleach community) made in recent chapters is in chapter 190 where many translators mistranslated Hiyori's dialect-ridden speech (where she says that she hates Shinigami and humans but translators messed up and said that humans and Shinigami hate her).

If you have any other questions about dialects, please feel free to check out the Japanese language thread (where I posted a few links to sites which might help you out if you want to learn about different dialects).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, i asked about them. I havent gotten around to checking them out tho. Thanks for the info. I was pretty tough to read what he said considering i have little to no experience with the dialect.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah! I should've checked that thread to make sure it wasn't you who asked for the info in the first place. If you have any questions though, please feel free! I'm sure myself and many of the veteran translators around here can answer your dialect questions without too much trouble!

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zindryr
    Alt + Shift switches between English and Japanese, Alt+~ switches between the Roman alphabet and hiragana input. If you use the hiragana input you can control from there what characters you use for the sounds, e.g. kanji/katakana/hiragana.
    ありがとう!
    These shortcuts are ever so useful! thanks... been wondering about these for ages
    谢谢
    Let's each wear a kimono as we ride on the Shinkansen, talking about samurai and ninja stories in between eating sushi and natto.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw, probably would attract more attention from Bleach translators if Bleach-related questions was made / split into its own thread.

Something like "Bleach Questions" thread.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That was just an isolated question. Something i just saw while i was reading.

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast