Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu

Description: ~Thanks to kirimi~

Shiki (Corpse Demon)
    This series is about village with a population of about 1300 people, and during one fiercely hot summer, many mysterious incidents happened one after another... Shiki is based on a best-selling horror novel by Ono Fuyumi. Fans may know of her other novels such as Twelve Kingdoms (which has been animated) and Ghost Hunt (adapted to both a shoujo manga and anime). Fujisaki Ryuu is a long-time JUMP mangaka of series such as Houshin Engi (recently released by ViZ), and Waqwaq, both of which ran in WJ.

Get the first chapter HERE

Discuss Away!

Download links
    Scanlations by SnoopyCool & AkuTenshi
    Prologue (SQ 2008 #1)
    Chapter 1 (SQ 2008 #2
    Chapter 2 (SQ 2008 #3)
    Chapter 3 (SQ 2008 #4)
    Chapter 4 (SQ 2008 #5)
    Side Story (Chapter 4.5) (SQ 2006 #6)
    Last edited by kirimi; May 08, 2008 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Added download links

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu Discussion

I remember Waqwaq, it wasn't bad.

This series looks promising. I'm curious how it will develop

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kirimi's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great start to the series. I'm hoping that being restricted to the boundaries of the original work will temper Fujisaki-sensei's tendency to go wild. Heheh. Fujisaki is really a master storyteller (note, I didn't say creator XD). The pacing is absolutely wonderful, despite the 67 pages of prologue. If it feels like it's moving slowly, that's because it matches the feel of the remote, rural village, though you can definitely feel Megumi's impatience. Great way to create the atmosphere! If this manga had background music, I tell you, I would be too freaked out to translate it. Haha.

By the way, the novel series, Shiki, is 5 volumes of roughly 500 pages each. So, I hope this series continues for a while! Here are Amazon JP links to the novels in case anyone is interested in looking for it.
    - Volume 1 ISBN 978-4101240237
    - Volume 2 ISBN 978-4101240244
    - Volume 3 ISBN 978-4101240251
    - Volume 4 ISBN 978-4101240268
    - Volume 5 ISBN 978-4101240275

Back to the chapter. I'm really curious about the priest's poem/story of the corpse demon, since I'm guessing it's related to the main story here. These are probably the main characters of the series, only because they've been featured in colour. XD And they have more than a one-line description in the Really Long character list of the novel.

Yuuki (Koide) Natsuno - According to the JP wikipedia entry (link above), Koide is his mother's name and Yuuki is his father's name. They're not married, it seems, but Natsuno uses Yuuki for his family name.

Muroi Seishin - The young priest from the temple.

Ozaki Toshio - The director / doctor of the hospital.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmh...you know, according to Ono Fuyumi herself, after she was asked whether she would continue the still incomplete Ghost Hunt/Evil Spirit (Ghost Hunt's original name IIRC) novel series, she stated that she'd be resuming work on an old supernatural-horror series she had put on hold a while ago. At first her fans thought she was indeed referring to Ghost Hunt, but now that Shiki is back to the fore, one can wonder whether this wasn't what she was actually talking about.

So...50/50, I'd say. Or is 70/30?

...My old image rotator died...T_T

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [SQ] Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu - Discussion

shiki is really great, can't wait for it to come out. I mean chapter four

shiki is getting more mysterious, thrilling each chapter and still you get the feeling to know more

@mods: can't there be a seperate SQ manga discussion thread -> because lots of SQ threads are forgotten threads
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    shiki is really great, can't wait for it to come out. I mean chapter four

shiki is getting more mysterious, thrilling each chapter and still you get the feeling to know more

@mods: can't there be a seperate SQ manga discussion thread -> because lots of SQ threads are forgotten threads
    I'm not sure what you're asking Koen...we have a Jump SQ thread.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking Koen...we have a Jump SQ thread.
    Yeah I know there's different jump SQ manga threads but they seem to be forgotten. I was surprised that shiki only had 3 replis and 400+ views and it was on the fourth page of the shounen section

well as long as there's topic I am fine but sometimes it's hard to find a topic that's why I thought like the RTS thread to make a shonen section devided in SQ, WSJ and other magazine discussion boards but nvm it's as good as it is
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    Yeah I know there's different jump SQ manga threads but they seem to be forgotten. I was surprised that shiki only had 3 replis and 400+ views and it was on the fourth page of the shounen section

well as long as there's topic I am fine but sometimes it's hard to find a topic that's why I thought like the RTS thread to make a shonen section devided in SQ, WSJ and other magazine discussion boards but nvm it's as good as it is
    Hmm, well dividing discussion into magazines wouldn't be ideal for series other than what is in WSJ and JUMP SQ. Mainly because series from other magazines aren't as popular, and on average, there's probably only a bunch from any given magazine (aside from WSJ and JUMP SQ) that have threads here at MH.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Shiki is definately my favourite SQ series, love the storyline.

I have a feeling everyone in the village except for the main characters are going to die, just my gut feeling.

How many characters have been introduced btw???? It's hard to keep track, since there are so many that are introduced in each chapter so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kirimi
    By the way, the novel series, Shiki, is 5 volumes of roughly 500 pages each.
    Are the novels directly related to the manga???

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatsuharupeace View Post
    Shiki is definately my favourite SQ series, love the storyline.

I have a feeling everyone in the village except for the main characters are going to die, just my gut feeling.

How many characters have been introduced btw???? It's hard to keep track, since there are so many that are introduced in each chapter so far.

Are the novels directly related to the manga???
    The manga is based on the novels. The manga is an adaptation of the story actually.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kirimi's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've never read the novels so I don't know how closely the manga follows it. I don't want to spoil myself either. :3

Anyway, grab Chapter 4 at the Latest Scanlations forum! The mystery deepens.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

If we may believe onemanga then shiki is licensed in america
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu

I have been faithfully watching the anime, but thanks to naruto-niichan encouraging me to give the manga a try and thanks to an AMV of the series (which included some scenes from the manga) I watched yesterday, I began reading this manga and I’m so glad I did it. This manga is fantastic. It has suspense, horror, drama, friendship, mystery, a bit of romance, a bit of comedy; it’s such an amazing series! The art, the story, and the characters are great, which not only makes Shiki very enjoyable but it also makes you reflect and ponder about things that happen in this series. Sometimes you feel bad for the humans, but other times you can’t help but side with the shiki. I read the series until chapter 33, I don’t know if chapter 34 has been scalanted yet but if it hasn’t, I hope it gets scalanted soon because I can’t wait to see what happens next. To the manga fans of this series I recommend you watching the anime, and to the anime fans I definitely recommend you reading the manga. There are some important and interesting details that didn’t make it into the anime so reading the manga would definitely help you enjoy the series even more.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; November 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

i never knew that there was a thread for Shiki!!!... well i kind a dun like to watch the same thing over and over again... if the manga has more to give then be sure to inform me Des nee...... I am available in FF .....

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings about this post, part of me wants to see you keep posting in the OC in the Shiki thread (the one for the anime) but part of me knows that as a fellow Shiki fan I must let you know that the manga has more info and stuff about the series than the anime, not a lot, but yes it has more info. I completely recommend you reading the manga , it is great!
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast