Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Tyler Durden as a pattern for Doflamingo?

MH's Best Username 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member GomuGomuNoBigBoner's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Tyler Durden as a pattern for Doflamingo?

I lately watched Fight club once more and this time I realized an astonishing affinity in the character of 'Tyler Durden' and Doflamingo.
    Just like the real 'Don Quijote de la Mancha', the unawareness of the madness in himself play the key motive.
    Tyler Durden achieved to establish an organization which held full trust in him, thus he's portrayed as a person who's got the means to manipulate others and follow his will.
    Among his characteristics are nihilistic traits, very similar to the behaviour of Doflamingo as he doesn't seem to take things too serious, to say the least.
    In both, Don Quijote as well as in Fight Club, the motive of a revolt against a superior system and the aspired destruction of yonder strengthen the bound imo.

There's also a scene in which a building with two fires in windows, forming the eyes of a smiley face painted on the building.

Unfortunately I could not find the oufit containing the fur coat, as that one totally equals Doflamingo's clothing, but just for you to have a more detailed view:

http://www.1tshirtsworld.com/wp-cont...n-clothing.jpg
    Last edited by Yabe; January 22, 2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Changed hotlinked image to url

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tyler Durden as a pattern for Doflamingo?

I remember seeing an image somewere which Elton Jones was dressed like Doflamingo. I think it was One Piece Wiki, but I am not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oblivion's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there are some similarities, but while Tyler wanted to create chaos and destroy the establishment, Flamingo is part of the establishment. He is another cog in the system.
    Oblivion@Deviantart
    keep answers like mini skirts, short to keep it interesting, but enough to cover the subject!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying that Oda could have been inspired by Tyler or is this just a discussion about similarities between the two? I think it's the latter, but I'm still going to point out that Fight Club was made in 1999. and One Piece started in 1997. I think most of the important characters were thought of by then.

And yeah, they are similar in lot of ways, but Doflamingo is more ruthless. He did make one of his men killed the other (probably) and he did manage a slave trade. Maybe he is one of Shichibukai out of his own interests, but that doesn't change the fact that he's fighting for the establishment at the moment.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Twar's Avatar
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Palahniuk wrote the novel in 1996, so... You never know.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree they're both a bit nihilistic but I'm not so sure about some of the other similarities. I don't think Doflamingo wants to destroy the establishment, I think he just expects it will be destroyed and is working on coming out of the gate running.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

New Reply