Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: One Piece 414 - The "Rouga" Pun

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece 414 - The "Rouga" Pun

Ehh... I'm so damn stuck on this pun. In the end I decided NOT to translate it, but I still have to write translation notes. The "rouga" pun is pretty much the primary literary device of the entire chapter, so there's no single page I can refer you to. It would be nice if someone could read through the entire chapter (raw), and think about the "rouga" pun for a second.

I know what it means, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to explain this in my notes. Explanation help required ^_^

This is the reason why my 414 translation has been sitting in Rush HQ for a long time, I'll make it public once this is cleared up.
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece 414 - The "Rouga" Pun

I don't know if the joke can really be translated considering it's being inserted into a basic piece of grammar (お前の蹴りなど効かんと言っと狼牙! and そんなわけねぇだ狼牙!among others).

Perhaps some sort of wolf-like howling sound inserted into their speech when that line shows up? Other than that it's difficult to insert "wolf fang" into a sentence without people getting confused (like when the script came out and poor Ocean among others had to explain to people that it was just a simple joke).

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece 414 - The "Rouga" Pun

hmm I'm stumped on this as well ... I'll dream about it and get back to you tomorrow night (putting it in the back of the mind to get thought out hehe)
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

New Reply