Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: What purpose does the Broken Arrancar Mask serve?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

9 39.13%
  • Bankai

0 0%
  • Suicide Move

2 8.70%
  • Power Source

12 52.17%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: The Broken Mask

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Broken Mask

I'm sure you've all noticed that the Arrancar have broken fragments of their Hollow masks remaining upon their faces. After some thought, I came up with a few ideas of what they could mean.
    1. Nothing. Perhaps Kubo simply liked the idea of designing them that way for stylistic purposes and they have no other purpose other than to mark an Arrancar.
    2. A Final Release. Arrancar are Hollows that have gained Shinigami powers. Shinigami have two releases, yet as of now the Arrancar only have one. Perhaps, in contrast to the Vizard, High-level Arrancar have the ability to temporarily remove their masks in order to gain a Bankai-like state that represents not merely a full release of their Hollow powers, but a perfect fusion of both sets. If this is the case, it begs the question of why it has not been seen. Perhaps there is some condition that must be met, much like the Bankai. Or perhaps only a Vasto Lorde is capable of it
    3. Suicide Move. As we have learned with Nell, her broken mask leaked energy and so she was reduced to a child to conserve it. This implies that the mask plays some role in sealing or regulating energy. Perhaps if it were ever pulled off, all an Arrancar's reiatsu would be released in a single moment, leading to their demise and a powerful explosion.
    4. Power Source. Shinigami have certain spots on their souls that generate reiatsu. If these spots are damaged enough, the shinigami loses all ability to use their powers. Perhaps the masks serve a similar purpose. Perhaps the mask generates Hollow powers. If this is the case, then removal of the Arrancar mask would result in an Arrancar losing at least half of their power, assuming the Shinigami powers aren't sealed as well. This could also explain why damage to Nell's mask resulted in her loss of power.

I'm partial to the Suicide Move personally, but I'd like to hear other thoughts as well.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kanzen Shinkiro's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Broken Mask

It is somehow related to their reiatsu, and apparently has stabilizer properties to it, as a broken hollow mask results in a very odd behavior of said arrancar's reiatsu. It is more likely a transformer used to channel and to generate energy and the source of their hollow abilities.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AngryChubbs's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure it has a purpose to it, i mean once they remove their mask they become stronger dont they? maybe it is a limiter to their power till they are able to remove it completely

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all the espada hav a "broken" mask as such, but to break that broken mask takes their powers away from them, its kinda like the cap on a bottle of water, you remove the cap water can get out

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda weird how Szayel's mask is his glasses and Stark's mask is on a chain. I mean aren't these things that can easily fall off?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the broken mask plays any significant except for Nel. Her broken mask signifies that she was an ex-espada, 3rd strongest, and lost her memory because of it. But in esp 152, Nel repeled Doni(forgot name) and broke his mask, yet he was still at full power and no negative effects.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Konkun View Post
    I dont think the broken mask plays any significant except for Nel. Her broken mask signifies that she was an ex-espada, 3rd strongest, and lost her memory because of it. But in esp 152, Nel repeled Doni(forgot name) and broke his mask, yet he was still at full power and no negative effects.
    Don't forget that nell not only had her mask broken but the blade went into her brain
    i thought it was explained rather well that the seal for an arrancars power was the zampakto in ichigos privion fight it is stated that with a broken zampakto they cannot realease there full power. The broken mask is just an identifier there connection to there hollow sides since they are hollows after all. When ikkaku had his fight he took out a chunk of the guys mask and it had no affect on his fighting ablity or his abilty to release.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Quartz-pebble's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus-Tails View Post
    It's kinda weird how Szayel's mask is his glasses and Stark's mask is on a chain. I mean aren't these things that can easily fall off?
    I don't think so. Most Arrancar have had them on their head or hair so far, remember. I think it's the same type of thing as the Vizard masks having no visable straps, but stay on via some unknown force. I mean, Ichigo's is almost flat, yet stays on fine.

As for a meaning behind them, it could be any of the ones listed, but the "nothing" option seems the most viable to me, at least according to the information we have up to this point. In the manga so far, they seem to have been used only as an Arrancar identifier, with the Zanpukto being the source of their power/s.
    ~Mineral & Rock Collector~

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kazuma_uzumaki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well bleach is the #1 manga of plotholes so we may never know

New Reply