Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Major Thread

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member hashikei's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Major Thread

Computer Engineering, 4 years (←in Canada)

Annoying requirement- Apprenticeship for 4 years, then take the 'Professional Engineering Exam" thing before getting a license... (-__-) (I think there's more...it just varies....I think)

KAKASHI ILLUSTRATION BY EIKICHI

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatake View Post
    You don't HAVE to have you PhD, I have a few professors who only have their Master's. But the PhD is probably preferred.
    As my English Professor once said, he preferred to be called Master than Doctor lol.

(Please read from right to left.)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member arslan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a pre-med student with an undecided major. I am confused between, chem, bio-chem, biology, or physics. But I do know I will be a math minor because I only need three more courses to do that. Any advise as to what major should I choose is welcome

"To an organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." Albus Dumbledore

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Physics is horrible! Go for bio-chem! It's soo much fun. I've just started my bio-chem course now (we do that 2nd year in high school in Swe) and it is awesome compared to physics.. It might be because i cant remember all those formulas!!!:@
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member SoulReaporKoul's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arslan_tariqch View Post
    I am a pre-med student with an undecided major. I am confused between, chem, bio-chem, biology, or physics. But I do know I will be a math minor because I only need three more courses to do that. Any advise as to what major should I choose is welcome
    It really depends on the med school you want to go to as well as the type of person you are, and what complementary courses you want to take.

Most (if not all) med schools don't care what Bachelors you get as long as you have taken all pre-requisites as well as any qualification exams they want (this is where exams like the MCAT and TOEFL come in). That being said, some schools will accept/reserve more seats for CERTAIN majors meaning you will have more chances at getting in (The downside to this might be that a lot more pre-med students switch to those majors creating more competition thus making other majors less competitive and thus easier to get accepted, it basically depends on who ELSE is applying as well a what you're qualifications are).

The second part with being what kind of person you are is simply asking whether your good at, or enjoy memorizing facts and just regurgitating them (Mostly in Bio, and less but equally prevalent in Bio-Chem), or whether you enjoy understanding concepts and applying those concepts (and yes formulas) to PROBLEMS (This has a lot more manipulation and is found A LOT and mostly in Physics, and to a much lesser degree in Chem).

The last part deals with what complementary courses you need to take, with Bio, Chem, and Bio-Chem, most complementary courses lend to each other with mostly only having the core courses being different. Physics on the other hand is COMPLETELY Different, your complementary (as well as core) courses are either MATH, PHYSICS, or COMPUTER SCIENCE (The last one only applies for SOME minor conc. and is usually a popular elective rather than a forced Complementary).

If it was me, and because I'm the type of person that I am, I would choose physics, simply because I GET IT, as well as I love that I get to manipulate or play with information, I love problem solving (I get a high every time I solve a problem), and the assignments really help to hammer in details and learning/memorizing seems a lot easier (Trust me, formulas are easier to learn if you've been using the same ones to answer 20 questions a night...ok..not that much but you get what I mean), also, on Exams there is also a way to get partial marks, whereas with Bio and the rest, it's pure memorizing random facts (and latin names) to regurgitate info, and Exams become whether you know the answer or not.

Hope this post helps

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arslan_tariqch View Post
    yay another pre-med major! now you can suffer through the pain i've endured for the last four years.

you can major in anything you want as long as you take your one year of biology, one year of general chemistry, one year of organic chemistry, and one year of physics.

out of the majors you listed, go with biology. it's more applicable and relative to medical school out of all the majors. physics is one of the hardest majors out there and a low gpa in a hard major isn't going to help. i was a biochemistry major before switching over to biology; the subject is really interesting but you'll have to take physical chemistry which is one of the hardest courses offered in college (most people do poorly in this class). besides, biochemistry will only help you with one semester/quarter of med school. biology is more helpful since it helps prepare you for the mcat and for the medical courses.

credit to the amazing GrayFoxx for this amazing sig ^.~

suffer school withdrawal with rb

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhapsody blue - I'm currently reading all those subjects now... So if i go to college in the states i will read all those subjects again? woho.

As for physical chemistry we've divided it into course A and B, I merely passed the first course...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member EvilGenious's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

how come i've never seen this thread before...

okay...i just graduated with a bachelor of arts in geography, with an emphasis in natural resources and the environment. i have a minor in geology (earth sciences to those who dont know). the worse part about my school was that anyone working on a BA had to take 2 years of a languages (exception being international studies and foreign languages, who took 3-4 years). my degree program required me taking calculus 1 (which i passed with a D, mind you!). i also had to have 3 courses in sciences, which didnt bother me at all, because geology counted in that area.

i would have to say that my favorite class of all time was digital cartography (aka computer map drawing)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Double Major in History and Cinema Studies as well as TEFL Certificate. Plan on going on to get my MA in History. Hopefully a 2nd degree in Film. Abroad most likely.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in college. I'm planning on doing a double major on Culinary Arts and Hotel Administration.

Kuronekooo~!

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

that's cool, paperboy! let's meet sometime and go head to head, like iron chef or something. After we've earned our degrees. heh.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha! You cannot beat my kung-fu!

Kuronekooo~!

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Medicine and Biology > all

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

i major in computer science

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member FuuRinKaInZan's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

My major is Asian studies with a concentration on the japanese language. Im also thinking about doing an international relations minor. I love learning about japan and its language and I also find the language classes easy and fun although some say its hard.

New Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast