Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Meaning of 泥をつかむ / doro wo tsukamu

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member niphredil's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Meaning of 泥をつかむ / doro wo tsukamu

lo all ^^ Geeking out ever so slightly (read: a lot) that I can access this board now.

So this is a line from a manga chapter I was working on. I'm relatively sure it's more of a figurative expression / a saying in Japanese but I can't quite grasp the meaning. The character has just said that he wants to build a huge church from which he and others in a really run-down, poor town can look at the stars. He wants to be able to look at the stars with his siblings, because even if they couldn't actually catch a star.... if they are able to just look up and reach up with their hands,... -->

泥をつかんでしまうことはなくなるんだ。。。

I think it literally says they would be able to stop 'grasping at mud' (that situations in which they grasp at mud would lessen), but not sure of the intended meaning.

Does anyone know of this 泥をつかむ , or have an idea what it could mean here? Thanks in advance for any help ^^

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meaning of 泥をつかむ / doro wo tsukamu

Sorry for the delay . I downloaded the chapter and redid a part of it to help make sense of it^^;

この「鐘」があればいやでも一緒に星を目上げる・・・
    When we look up to this bell, we'd get a glimpse of the stars regardless if we'd like to or not

つかもうとしても星なんざ
    中々つかめるはずもないだろうけど・・・
    I know it's not like you can grab a star, by just reaching up and trying

それでも
    星を見上げ
    手を伸ばしてさえいれば
    Even still, if you look up(at the stars) and reach out your hand

泥をつかんでしまうことはなくなるんだ・・・
    You'll stop bringing back a handful of mud...
    (It's not like you'll bring back a fistfull of mud...)

Also this site goes to talk about the meaning of it
    http://www.e-kotoba.net/e-cgi/db.cgi?mode=view&no=2149

That even though something might seem impossible, doesn't mean we should keep our head down.

As long as you get that across it works^^
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member niphredil's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meaning of 泥をつかむ / doro wo tsukamu

Wow, thank you so much, njt! (._. and for the extra downloading and trans work involved) I finally feel like I'm understanding it properly because of this great explanation.

That's a great site too, I've already whiled away an hour just browsing it for fun. definitely going to be checking for things in it from now on. I feel silly though, because previously I had searched for the plain phrase, but didn't think to search for the full quote.

Anyway thanks again, you're brilliant ^__^

New Reply