Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Mel_Luvz_Anime Thread

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mel_Luvz_Anime's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mel_Luvz_Anime Thread

Well, I've been here on MH for a while now but I've never really made one of these threads. Even though I've been here for a while, I still think I'm fairly new.

So what got me started in translating?
    Well I read a lot of doujinshi's and unfortunately most of what I got was not translated, or in original japanese format and nobody would translate them for me to understand them. So I started to get curious and I started to figure stuff out by myself, using the internet, spent like a good few months with a relatively new fascination.... the Japanese language. It really did fascinate me, there was so much that I hadn't known and so much that I wanted to know. So then I started my own self teaching program, got heaps of textbooks and stuff and went on a mission hahaha yeah well it was crazy. So this was about 2 years ago.

So now I translate for many scanlation groups, and came across MH and decided I'd try and help out here. Although I'm still a bit confused about who does what, and if someone is doing a series then there's really no point in me doing that. Anyways I'm usually doing other projects so I only adopted a few projects on MH.

So also, translating japanese is not my life. If you want to know who I am, My name is Mel and I'm 19 years old and am studying a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering at the University of Newcastle, going onto my 3rd year in March... so as you see, it's nothing related to translating, so this is merely a hobby lolz

I do hope to one day travel to Japan though, on maybe my next vacation. I've always wanted to go there, mostly everything about Japan fascinates me, the culture, the food, the language ofcourse, the people, the customs and traditions, the fact that its the electronic and digital capital of the world doesn't hurt, also maybe that its the origin of the world's best animated series in the world (anime and manga are my salvation ^_^)

So that's about all of me, well ofcourse there's much much more to me than that tiny piece of info, but if you have any questions, ask away ^_^
    Looking for Seinen Translators!!! Please PM me!!!

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner chadezard's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Mel_Luvz_Anime Thread

oh man, you sound hot! and i've always wanted to go to japan too! omg, i'll take you with me. better yet, we can meet half way! maybe spend a week there. and you can translate everything for me, cause the only words in japanes i know is nani, hai, and baka.... hehe hehe baka.... but yeah, it would be some awesomely amazerifical!
    Last edited by chadezard; January 03, 2008 at 04:41 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Mel!! Finally got your own board!!! Congrats to you, and as a present, got some questions for yah. xD

1. Favourite place in Australia??
    2. Top 5 Manga??
    3. What genre do you like, Shounen, Shoujo or Seinen, or any others??
    4. If you had to learn another language, what would it be??

BTW, which projects are you currently translating at MH?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ~Lilium~'s Avatar
    Country
    British Antarctic Territory
    Post Thanks / Like

wow!! self-study japanese, that's some will-power it must be hard to do that by urself.

who's your siggy btw?

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatsuharupeace View Post
    Mel!! Finally got your own board!!! Congrats to you, and as a present, got some questions for yah. xD

1. Favourite place in Australia??
    2. Top 5 Manga??
    3. What genre do you like, Shounen, Shoujo or Seinen, or any others??
    4. If you had to learn another language, what would it be??

BTW, which projects are you currently translating at MH?
    Hehe yep thanks, so on with the answers ^_^

1. Hmm I'd say the Gold Coast, awesome beaches. I luv to go there for holidays. Also Sydney, most ppl don't like it coz of the congestion but I luv it coz of the social life ^_^ I'm kinda outgoing So I luv to party. Also another place is down at Perisher Blue/Jindabyne in autumn, thats when the snow is wonderful. I luv skii-ing.

2. Well top 5 Manga to read... *thinks*
    a) Hana Kimi
    b) Fruits Basket
    c) Bleach
    d) Vampire Knight
    e) Inuyasha

3. Well as you've prolly already guessed, I love reading shoujo. But when it comes to translating I like to t/l seinen/shounen mostly because I learn a lot more that way since the language is more complex. But on a larger scale Yaoi has to top the list, major fan of yaoi ^_^

4. Hindi would definitely be my next choice, since it is my mother tongue and I know very little, it's kind of embarrasing lolz

Oh yeah, some projects I'm working on or have worked on so far on MH include:

a) Pat Ken Ch 1
    b) Kure-nai Ch 1 + 2
    c) Biohazard Part 1
    d) Matsuri Special Ch 2
    e) There's also Ahiru no Sora and Vampire Knight, but they're just distributed here, they're not really MH projects I think

Apart from that I have 4 other projects for other scanlation groups, so that's why my MH projects are limited. Otherwise I'd do more.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lilium~ View Post
    wow!! self-study japanese, that's some will-power it must be hard to do that by urself.

who's your siggy btw?
    Yeah a lot of will-power, that's why it was very opportunistic for me that it was kind of an obsession haha. It was really hard, but u know I like a challenge and to learn new things.

About the sig, you're about the 3rd person to ask me that actually. But the truth is I don't know, I found it somewhere and really liked it so I got it, but I think it's from a video game, don't know which one. If anyone finds out where it's from plz tell me I'm sure a lot of others I know would like to know
    Last edited by Mel_Luvz_Anime; January 03, 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

who's your siggy btw?
    I think Bax would know who it is, I think he has the same character in his siggy as well. Try asking him. xD

Country
    Post Thanks / Like

^yeah i was about to say that

it looks really pretty though.

I tried studying japanese throught the net once too. i only manage hiragana and a tid-bit of katakana. that's really some will-power you got there. I wish i had that too...

how long did it take u to learn it btw?

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatsuharupeace View Post
    I think Bax would know who it is, I think he has the same character in his siggy as well. Try asking him. xD
    Yeah I think I saw it once. He probably knows where its from ^_^

^yeah i was about to say that

it looks really pretty though.

I tried studying japanese throught the net once too. i only manage hiragana and a tid-bit of katakana. that's really some will-power you got there. I wish i had that too...

how long did it take u to learn it btw?
    lolz that's why I think it's best to not only learn from the itnernet, it can only teach you so much. You need to be practising and learning a lot more. I found that Grammar is one of the hardest things to learn.

I started about 2 years ago, so about that long. Even though it's been 2 years, I'm still constantly learning and take time out for more lessons, coz I think you can never know everything there is to know about Japanese. That would be impossible, but once you start learning kanji and grammar then you pretty much are ok. That's why I prefer to translate seinen manga, the language is really complex and you learn so much from it.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like

did u have tutoring?

oh yeah, what series do you translate?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

haha, i love seeing people who taught themselves another language. its fascinates me!!! i also have friends that taght themselves. You said you started your own self teaching program...mind if i ask what you did? im also teaching myslef, with help for friends who also know japanese.

If you ever go to japan, you will like Okinawa. i have been there (my dad is in the military, so we lived there for 3 and half years). There is a lot of beautiful things in japan. But man...tokyo is the most confusing place i have ever been to
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gaara_dono's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mel ... thanks for the scanlation of Biohazard prequel...

I'm leading a new project on the Resident Evil E-books... they are in Japanese (awesome HQ Raws!!)... So I'm looking for a translator... And after reading the Biohazard Prequel that you scanlated... I thought it would be a honner if you help me on that one )

Waiting for your response... I'll provide you with the raws ^^
    So Sayonara...!
    MangaHelpers Art Appreciator - Join NarutoCoverzProject Now!

Kiriyuu Zero.... The Hopeless Immortal

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

did u have tutoring?

oh yeah, what series do you translate?
    No i didn't get any tutoring, like I said I'm completely self taught. Got all my resources by myself and kinda self-disciplined style of learning. Was a lot of fun actually

Series, including ones I've listed above:

Ahiru no Sora, Kamichama Karin Chu, Kure-nai, Sugar Princess, Vampire Knight, Matsuri. The rest are not series, more like oneshots and 2 parters and doujinshi ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by kyubisharingan View Post
    haha, i love seeing people who taught themselves another language. its fascinates me!!! i also have friends that taght themselves. You said you started your own self teaching program...mind if i ask what you did? im also teaching myslef, with help for friends who also know japanese.

If you ever go to japan, you will like Okinawa. i have been there (my dad is in the military, so we lived there for 3 and half years). There is a lot of beautiful things in japan. But man...tokyo is the most confusing place i have ever been to
    Hehe well I might have made it sound a lot more structured than it really was. You know I'm at university and we get a 3 month vacation, so at the end of my first year I sorta got into it and bought a couple, actually 3 textbooks on learning kanji. By this time I already knew the basics, so it was just kanji that I was learning. So then I practised on those a lot and then (as unlucky as I am to not have any Japanese friends who spoke fluent Japanese) I borrowed some audio and textbook packages from the uni I went to. This proved extremely useful. Spent a lot of time just listening and learning and reading. From this I learnt a lot of Japanese grammar. The best way to learn japanese grammar is to hear it, trust me. To me the difficulty level is second to learning kanji by heart. So that kinda sums up my program. It's more fun that it sounds, the textbooks I got had cool pictures and stuff ^_^ Oh I'm such a kid hehe

So yeah, audio packages are great for learning grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaara_dono View Post
    Hey Mel ... thanks for the scanlation of Biohazard prequel...

I'm leading a new project on the Resident Evil E-books... they are in Japanese (awesome HQ Raws!!)... So I'm looking for a translator... And after reading the Biohazard Prequel that you scanlated... I thought it would be a honner if you help me on that one )

Waiting for your response... I'll provide you with the raws ^^
    So Sayonara...!
    I'll think about it. But I still havent really started on the second part of this biohazard part 1 that I t/l. Been so busy helping move across country and stuff, most of the time I don't have access to the internet though we're working on that.

So when you say, "e-books" do u mean I'll have to t/l entire pages of text?????? Coz when u say HQ RAW's that indicates manga to me, although I don't know any other manga of biohazard out there. Someone once approached me to t/l an ebook of biohazard before, but it was in chinese I think.

Just so u know, if it's really an ebook, then I really in all honesty, won't consider it. I don't have a lot of free time to do that.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

ah ok i see. Just curious, if it isnt too secretive, what books and audio CDs did you get? I hear that "Genki: integrated course in Elementary Japanese" is a good one. I ordered the book and workbook of that and its great, but was just curious of what you used

also, did you use some sort of "lesson plan" for teaching yourself? Its REaLLY hard trying to keep focused learning a new language by yourself.
    Last edited by kyubisharingan; January 15, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long time no see, been busy with life???

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

HEY!!!!! I didn't think anyone cared enough about me to post here *cries tears of joy*

Yeah I was away for a while, and when I came back I find the next issue of SQ is being released. Real Life sure can get in the way sometimes lmao jk. So yeah, university will also be starting in a couple of weeks too, so I guess I'm gonna slow down a couple of notches.

@kyubisharingan: Hey, I don't remember the names of the audio cd's/books I borrowed, they were from my university library, I was more interested in what was inside the book than the cover. And online places to learn, there are so many, and all reliable. I think I sent u some links. For others who want links, well I didn't exactly put them on my favourites list, but everyone should know the famous Tae Kim's Guide right? Actually many people have said it's very useful for grammar, I have recommended it to other people and they've found it quite efficient but I personally have not read through the site.

And when you talk about a lesson plan, really you have to create one that suits your own style of learning. With me I can be absolutely determined to absolutely lazy, so its customized for me. Not set in stone, or paper but most importantly you have to "Want" to learn Japanese.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast