Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Mooncrow; January 11, 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spoilers
    frack.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dark-Kaomi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Mooncrow; January 11, 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spoilers

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Mooncrow; January 11, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spoilers
    frack.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

please remember that this is a spoiler-free forum =) There are lots of other good places to discuss the plot

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Inkovic's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Easily the best shonen manga with the best storyline with lovable characters.
    The whole series is brilliant. It might of become slightly predictable as of late however Oda has the series planned so the story flows coherently.

Easily 10/10

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member OZ-900's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

i was surprised when i saw your name at the front page Moon
    i see you've written quite a few reviews...thx for that Moon
    this should help people discover great mangas out there

back to topic...OnePiece is 100/10.........lol
    it does start alil slow but it gets DAMN AWESOME after that...
    very good story-telling, unexpectable plot, and epic stories...
    hail Oda the Mangaka God

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

A short review (not really judging anything but just my opinion): A longstanding shonen cliche is the fact that the main character has to beat up a stronger badguys in every arc and One Piece follows this to the letter but it's within these confines that it shines through it's excellent set of characters from the main players to the bit characters (All of whom are very different but no less interesting or enjoyable) and it's storytelling which can be both epic and personal sometimes both at the same time.

In my opinion One Piece is the best shonen ever made however it can easily turn off new readers by its crazy art style and the fact that the beginning isn't really that great instead like fine wine One Piece gets better with age.

The thing that really sets One Piece apart from series likeNaruto or Dragonball is that it doesn't go all action after 200 chapters forgetting the secondary (minor) characters and the humor in the process. The real accomplishment is the fact that after nearly 500 chapters One Piece has lost none of it's charm and continues to amaze and enterain us with great characters, great storytelling and it's brilliant mix of action, humor and drama. In other words everything you could possible want from a shonen.

If there is one complaint one can have of the series besides the art style and it's weaker beginning it's that Oda may spend too much time telling stories and developing characters that while being great don't really matter in the long run and/or the main plot but that's nitpicking.
    Last edited by vick86; February 02, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OhDearMoshe's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly I did not fall in love with it within 100 chapters. I made it to 305 and then quit. It just didn't seem to do much for me. I do remember there where a few bits I did like a lot however and so I am going to pick this series up once again after reading this chapter to see if I can really get into it!

Spoiler: Jehuty's words of wisdom show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OhDearMoshe View Post
    Surprisingly I did not fall in love with it within 100 chapters. I made it to 305 and then quit. It just didn't seem to do much for me. I do remember there where a few bits I did like a lot however and so I am going to pick this series up once again after reading this chapter to see if I can really get into it!
    I did the same, only I quit around 114. I...just couldnt stand it anymore, and this was after trying to read it/giving it a chance three times. Such childish and generally stupid dialogue. Every arc was like "No! Dont fight him! Youre gonna die!!!!!" "I must!" "No!~~~" and just repeat that dialogue exchange over 7 chapters every other page. And the plot didn't seem to do anything. My friends bashed me for not going until Skypeia or Water 7 or whatever upcoming arc it was where they go with the princess to her homeland but I just couldnt do it anymore, it was just too childish for me. Let alone the fact that the art itself was repugnant.

Stupid characters save one or two, a few cool ideas, a silly plot and repulsive art just killed it for me. Also felt like the author was just continually pulling ideas out of his ass, especially from what my friends told me of the later arcs.

I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OhDearMoshe's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcometfm View Post

I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.
    It is Shonen. Anyway I finished One Piece from where I was and I will offer my own review for this soon (can't do it now).

Spoiler: Jehuty's words of wisdom show

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member fluke32's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the same, only I quit around 114. I...just couldnt stand it anymore, and this was after trying to read it/giving it a chance three times. Such childish and generally stupid dialogue. Every arc was like "No! Dont fight him! Youre gonna die!!!!!" "I must!" "No!~~~" and just repeat that dialogue exchange over 7 chapters every other page. And the plot didn't seem to do anything. My friends bashed me for not going until Skypeia or Water 7 or whatever upcoming arc it was where they go with the princess to her homeland but I just couldnt do it anymore, it was just too childish for me. Let alone the fact that the art itself was repugnant.

Stupid characters save one or two, a few cool ideas, a silly plot and repulsive art just killed it for me. Also felt like the author was just continually pulling ideas out of his ass, especially from what my friends told me of the later arcs.

I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions but um, dude... DUH! It was meant to be silly in the first place since its genre specifically says COMEDY! (Mooncrow, you forgot to mention the fact that it's supposed to be a comedy) Of course it has to be silly, stupid, childish, and repetitive, if not, how else is it suppose to make anyone, if not everyone, laugh?!? And uh, dude, you're 19, and you don't think a comedy is supposed to be comic?

Age group isn't the target of this manga, it's just taste, and yours simply didn't like comedy as it seems. The manga was meant for people who likes to relieve their stress and have something to feel good about. Although the plot sometimes deviate to some melodramatics. it is still true to it's goal of letting the readers read, see and experience heart warming moments, feelings, and emotions.

This manga is a 10/10 without a doubt. You just can't say that the manga isn't a good read especially if it does it's job so well for almost over 11 years already. (This also should contradict redcometfm's age group target argument if he's really 19.)

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fluke32 View Post
    I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions but um, dude... DUH! It was meant to be silly in the first place since its genre specifically says COMEDY! (Mooncrow, you forgot to mention the fact that it's supposed to be a comedy) Of course it has to be silly, stupid, childish, and repetitive, if not, how else is it suppose to make anyone, if not everyone, laugh?!? And uh, dude, you're 19, and you don't think a comedy is supposed to be comic?

Age group isn't the target of this manga, it's just taste, and yours simply didn't like comedy as it seems. The manga was meant for people who likes to relieve their stress and have something to feel good about. Although the plot sometimes deviate to some melodramatics. it is still true to it's goal of letting the readers read, see and experience heart warming moments, feelings, and emotions.

This manga is a 10/10 without a doubt. You just can't say that the manga isn't a good read especially if it does it's job so well for almost over 11 years already. (This also should contradict redcometfm's age group target argument if he's really 19.)
    No no no. You see, Dragonball (which One Piece badly tries to emulate) is funny. Truly hilarious. One Piece is not. It is pure, stupid humor. It's humor is equivalent to that of a man who's picked up randomly off the streets and is forced to do a stand up comedy routine and tries to be funny by spewing out the first random things that come to mind. Its stupid. And it's quite possibly one of the worst mangas I've ever read. It's only done so well because of the numerous shallow people who enjoy it as well as the massive (yet predictable) children audience it amasses.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Enough, redcomet. Kindly go read the rules of both this forum and this specific sub-forum. Then re-read them. Then come back here and edit your posts. (And I do include your HxH comments as well).

Keep it civil, or keep it on another forum.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member fluke32's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

No no no. You see, Dragonball (which One Piece badly tries to emulate) is funny. Truly hilarious. One Piece is not. It is pure, stupid humor. It's humor is equivalent to that of a man who's picked up randomly off the streets and is forced to do a stand up comedy routine and tries to be funny by spewing out the first random things that come to mind. Its stupid. And it's quite possibly one of the worst mangas I've ever read. It's only done so well because of the numerous shallow people who enjoy it as well as the massive (yet predictable) children audience it amasses.
    That was a very rude comment man. You absolutely don't want to abuse the anonymity of the internet to bash manga enthusiasts because it might come back right at you.

Surprisingly enough, even though you knew how comical Dragon Ball was, I think you're very new to japanese manga culture. Dude, this style that One Piece used is a new form of humor created by the mangaka with originality in mind and has always revolved around the idea of making readers say "What the hell are these guys thinking!?!" when they see the dialog of the characters 11 years ago. This is One Piece's original style that they created and other mangas are now employing as well. (i.e. Fairy Tail) To throw the original style of the manga is like making it look like dragon ball. One Piece is not a rip off of Dragon Ball at all. The plots, themes, and character development are totally different. Dragon ball was about a boy's who's dream is to become the strongest martial artist, while One Piece was about a boy who dreams to be a strong Pirate that has lots of power and strong allies. Case in point is that Son Goku's about one's self and Luffy's is about him and nakamas. See the difference?

Also, speaking of Dragon Ball, its humor is totally different. Sure both main characters are listless, dumb, and ignoramuses, but the humor presented are different. Dragon Ball's humor is based on how stupid the a character "superficially looks" in the story while One Piece's humor depends on how "simple-minded" the characters are in its story.

P.S.
    If you're gonna use other mangas as examples please be certain of what you're gonna say, because it will divulge how much you really know about manga. ATM, you're lacking in japanese manga culture exposure.
    Last edited by fluke32; March 07, 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fluke32 View Post
    That was a very rude comment man. You absolutely don't want to abuse the anonymity of the internet to bash manga enthusiasts because it might come back right at you.

Surprisingly enough, even though you knew how comical Dragon Ball was, I think you're very new to japanese manga culture. Dude, this style that One Piece used is a new form of humor created by the mangaka with originality in mind and has always revolved around the idea of making readers say "What the hell are these guys thinking!?!" when they see the dialog of the characters 11 years ago. This is One Piece's original style that they created and other mangas are now employing as well. (i.e. Fairy Tail) To throw the original style of the manga is like making it look like dragon ball. One Piece is not a rip off of Dragon Ball at all. The plots, themes, and character development are totally different. Dragon ball was about a boy's who's dream is to become the strongest martial artist, while One Piece was about a boy who dreams to be a strong Pirate that has lots of power and strong allies. Case in point is that Son Goku's about one's self and Luffy's is about him and nakamas. See the difference?

Also, speaking of Dragon Ball, its humor is totally different. Sure both main characters are listless, dumb, and ignoramuses, but the humor presented are different. Dragon Ball's humor is based on how stupid the a character "superficially looks" in the story while One Piece's humor depends on how "simple-minded" the characters are in its story.

P.S.
    If you're gonna use other mangas as examples please be certain of what you're gonna say, because it will divulge how much you really know about manga. ATM, you're lacking in japanese manga culture exposure.
    Emulate, not copy. Knowing definitions help in arguments.
    Dragonball also involved Goku growing stronger to protect his friends, family and even enemies.
    Hahaha I believe I have quite a good amount of japanese & manga culture exposure.
    And if you want to go for those kinds of quips, you shouldn't argue with a filmmaker who's studied storytelling to the extreme and studies the great directors like Kurosawa. So if I do in fact lack japanese culture exposure, you lack credentials to even analyze and judge the quality of storytelling of this manga or even stories/storytelling in general.

I'd like to end this now before I get banned (even if you think I'm using a cop-out argument, I dont care) so let's leave it at that.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast