Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Naruto

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naruto

Quote Originally Posted by Luckas
    One of the problem when talking about Naruto I think it is the big difference between Part 1 and Part 2 and also the lenght of the manga.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I guess what is bothering me is that for all the negative things people state about part 2, they never list the positive traits along side them which is in no way fair to the manga.

I have no problems with part 2 at all, in fact i think it has been a huge improvement overall. Art, Characters, Originality, and Plot all get a boost in my opinion. Even if Themes take a bit of a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan
    Part 2 is exactly like DBZ. I'm just hoping for the manga that we're not going to have a GT finish
    I would love the hear your reasoning for how you think part 2 is like DBZ but i guess it would be impossible for you to explain in detail in a spoiler free thread.

He could use a very big spoiler and clearly explaining it will spoil half of the manga ~ Luckas
    Last edited by Jammin; July 11, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

DBZ - Naruto part 2:
    Spoiler show

The difference between DB & DBZ is kind of like the difference between part1 and part2.
    I stop here because I could really make an awfully long list of everything I didn't like in the second part.

edit: I don't see any real spoiler in this post but if you want it ...
    Last edited by zelllogan; July 11, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@zelllogan
    Please spoiler tag or delete the top of your post.

edit:Thanks. This thread is geared towards those who have never read the manga, so you can't be too careful. I restrict myself to comments only about very very very general traits of the manga and the reviews in these review threads. Which is why i can't discuss it here.

I would very much like to hear your views but lets shift to a non-spoiler free area. *HERE*(warning link is to area containing spoilers) would be appropriate i think. If you want to continue this discussion that is.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 11, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto's art seems a bit flat to me. When Kishi stopped shading like he used to, the art just wasnt as impressive. The only time the art really pops at out me is when Tobi is in the frame (because Kishi makes it so obvious through his art that he loves this character).

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but those of you who rated Naruto's art higher than a 6 (And even then, that's high for very plain art) need to get your eyes checked. If Naruto is a an 8.5 then what is Berserk? A 17 out of 10? Get real. A manga with such little detail and with such poorly drawn fighting scenes--Fighting scenes that are extremely hard to understand--does not deserve such a high note.

Naruto could potentially get a 10 in originallity if you judged it on the first 2 volumes & a half. After that, though, it morphed into a typical power-up shounen. Pouring with originality indeed.

As for the characters, I give Sasuke a 9 and everyone else a 5. Sasuke is the only character in all of Naruto that's even remotely interesting. Everybody else is vanilla flavored in and out.

"Best shounen ever..." Heh. That's a ludicrous statement if ever I read one.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Berserk is not a weekly manga therefor they should not be judged in the same category. Berserks art is drawn at a snails pace compared to Naruto's

Though i like Naruto's art better anyway. Berserk, though hyper detailed, also has very cluttered looking panels and doesn't often change scenery. If you've seen one dark stone castle and dark creepy forest you've seen them all.

7. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Then I"S, Rookies, Muhyo, Neuro, some works of Obata and many more all materialise as examples of how a weekly series (weekly jump no less) can turn around and have captivating and detailed art with a unique swing. Something that naruto arguably does not, approaching more of the plain faced unadventurous stylings as more action or story driven series.

But then that's based on my personal tastes in art direction, which tends to fluctuate as i see fit *sweats profusely*

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Berserk is not a weekly manga therefor they should not be judged in the same category. Berserks art is drawn at a snails pace compared to Naruto's
    Okay, since you put it that way, Death Note & Air Gear were (AG is still on-going) both drawn in weekly magazines. They ended up looking pretty good last I checked. Again, if Naruto is an 8/10 in art, what are these? 15/10?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Though i like Naruto's art better
    I stopped after you said liked Naruto's art better. The rest of your post is not worth replying to.
    Last edited by GGpX; July 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, art can be a matter of taste. There are widely varying manga styles and everyone has their own preference.

I personally find that the later volumes of Naruto has just the right level of detail for the series. He draws vibrant, original, and widely varied environments. I'm also a huge fan of his tendency to adopt a more classical Japanese scroll painting look and using that to improve the look of both his environments and characters. Using all this kishimoto makes it so every time you see something new it really looks like something you've never seen before. In some cases never even imagined before.

As for your examples of better detail in a weekly series. I looked through some of the more recent chapters of all of them with the exception of Neuro, that one i couldn't find. I figured you can't mean "Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro", that one has low detail especaily the character's noses for some reason. I's and Rookies both had much better use of shadows than Naruto which fits in with their more realistic style, but in terms of character and environment detail i didn't see anything all that special. All had good art in their own way.

Edit: I suppose i only looked over a few panels of Neuro so maybe i'm not giving it as much credit as it deserves. I'll have to give it another look later.

@GGpx
    Airgear has high character detail and super low background detail(some of them are even absent). I would give it a 7, which i think is pretty generous.

Deathnote is a realistic manga and very well drawn i would give it a 9-10 just like Naruto. I wouldn't rate the art as better or worse than Naruto just different.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 29, 2008 at 06:28 PM.

11. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mean majin tantei nogami neuro. whilst the characters faces do tend to come off quite weakly, the details in their kinetic energy, or even at any point extravagant moments come in, or the true nature of the murderers are revealed, the sheer range of the art can be shown off to an amazing capacity. Something that Naruto can't really do. What you see all the time is generally what you get with the art. not really a bad thing, just really not that interesting

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dedal_x's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow, with the flow of the plot, Naruto is going a downwards spiral. In particular - the "bad guys" point. Since Part 2 started, things were going like "This here is the ultimate bad guy ... no wait, he's bad, but not bad enough - that guy over there is the 'main boss' ... on the third thought he's not suffering internally enough to be boss, we need to create some other one, which noone saw coming .." and so on... I'd say some major plotholes and obviously artificial plot modifications were completely unnessesary here.

So, I'd give 3 for Plot.

Art ... well, nothing to be fazed about. It's really low detail, though it successfully manages to deceive the reader into thinking that it's actually high detail. Typical in shounen.

Art - 6.5

Characters... Somehow they are okay. Not too easy to design so many different characters, I think. 7 for those.

Themes... Revenge. Friendship. Responcibility. Not all so original, but meh, who cares? I'd give 7, but in the late chapters I felt that some themes were thrown in artificially, like pregnancy of a background character. So, 6 for themes.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity nat's Avatar
    Country
    Bermuda
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess Naruto is one of the stone marks in manga, it did manage to attract so many *addicts* (for a lack of a better word). I confess I am a Naruto fan as well, only one other manga got me so hooked up. And I have been reading manga since the days of DBZ.( and no, it wasn't the DB fanchise that got me hooked up).

Part of its magic is the characters, and whoever rated them as 5 or 6 is missing the point in the story. The attraction is mainly attributed to the interaction of the (wide array) of characters in the story and to say they are one dimensional means that the person who reviewed did in fact read some parts, and then stopped after being repulsed for some reason.

While the themes are generic but they way they have been built actually makes sense. Though Part two is becoming more of a cliche', part one started stronger on human scale emotions and psychological needs.

Naruto started something with the online community when it came out, and it was something massive.
    Last edited by nat; March 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
    If you hate Sasuke, click here

Tricked you

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think part 1 was pretty awful. Brilliant first chapter, got strong emotion out of me. The rest was just okay, and worsened through Kishi's style of melodrama and driving the point home/in your face over and over and OVER again with lots of characters talking so much, repeated the same thing more than once in different phrasing. It was just annoying...at least for my age (I could see how itd pass with the younger, less cultured crowd). I bought the first part cheap online and I gave up after 5 volumes.

Luckily I watched the series. Because Part 2 (reading the manga) has been pretty good. I feel like this is Kishi showing his real self and not pandering to his fans...except for the long Sasuke segment (nowhere near as bad as Part 1 and looking back isnt as bad as it once used to be). The art is better but still missing something (the shading he used to do) and Kishi knows how to keep it going pace-wise as well as the plot twists and epicness. Hell, the characters' development seems even more justified in this segment. I prefer this mature segment of the saga. ( Ill selling my first part on ebay, for anyone interested).

17. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member weehoo107's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, I'm gonna take a swing at it....

Title: Naruto
    Genres: Shonen, Action, Adventure, Comedy/Drama, Fantasy
    Publication: WSJ - Weekly Shonen Jump

Summary: Twelve years before the events at the focus of the series, the nine-tailed demon fox attacked Konohagakure. It was a powerful demon indeed; a single swing of one of its nine tails would raise tsunamis and flatten mountains. It raised chaos and slaughtered many people, until the leader of the Leaf Village - the Fourth Hokage - defeated it by sacrificing his own life to seal the demon inside a newly-born child, whose origins are as yet unknown. That child's name was Naruto Uzumaki.

Category Ratings: 1-10 scale

X

Art: 8
    At the beginning of the series, the art takes on a very Shonen type of look, cartoonish, but still attractive in it's own way. As the Manga proceeds through part 1, you can see Kishimoto's art improve and become more detailed, also becoming less cluttered. Kishimoto is very good at making each panel neat and tidy, but detailed all at once. Kishimoto has always wanted to make his art look at realistic as possible. By Part 2, the artwork was very simple, yet elegant, unique in it's own way. If you like simple and detailed art, you'll like Naruto's style.

My rating: 7.5
    The plot of Naruto is very unique and different than all the other Shonen Manga. At first, comedy is very apparent, especially showing in Part 1, but as the series progresses the plot takes a more serious turn. As Naruto grows up, so does the story-line, and by Part 2 the plot is so thick with twists and turns you can't help but wonder how Kishimoto will end the series. At times the story seems to drag and hold out, but after a while it picks up again and something else is thrown at you out of nowhere. Fights, deaths, love, hate, revenge, destiny, it's all there.

My rating: 8
    The characters in Naruto are so many that sometimes it seems as if Kishimoto can't keep up with them. But the main characters and most of the side-characters backgrounds are so well thought out it makes you wonder how Kishimoto came up with their histories. I would have given this rating a 8.5 but there are too many characters in Naruto and Kishimoto sometime leaves one in the dust or creates a very strange personality. Not to mention some fodder characters. All in all, the characters are very well thought out and written, and you can't help falling in love with them or hating their guts.

My rating:7.6
    One of the words that you keep hearing throughout the whole Manga is the word "Brothers."
    Kishimoto has many themes in his Manga: "Friendship" - "Never give up" - "Rivalry" - "Protect your friends", etc etc, but in the entire series the plot and the theme always seem to turn back to the word "brothers." One thing about kishimoto: he knows how to demonstrate the affection/rivalry between siblings. The reoccurring theme pops up in the story-line everywhere.

My rating: 7.8
    Naruto is greatly influenced by DBZ (Dragon Ball Z) and while I've never read that manga myself, I can tell that some things Kishimoto put into Naruto were clearly influenced by that particular series. Naruto's Jump-suit for example.
    But other then that, Naruto's story is very original and intriguing and (though at times it may lag) all in all is a very good read.

My rating: 9.5
    All in all, Naruto is a Shonen masterpiece, a one of a kind Manga. The story will always be remembered in Shonen history, whether people like it or not, because of it's popularity and the plot itself. I'm not saying that this is a must-read - everyone has their own opinions on every aspect - but it certainly is worth picking up and I would recommend it to anyone.

Start here!!!

X

Last edited by weehoo107; September 11, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

19. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For me naruto is a 10 even if they all die and little bunny rabbits with narutoverse characteristics infest the planet and sniff ass and eat grass ....period its definately an opinion issue issue and I won't say that the ink is the greatest ever nor the plot or other aspect I just feel for me and my likes this is the perfect manga.....as well as vinland saga I give props to all who love a manga and can admit it I don't like one piece but I'll never talk it down sorry for the speech GREAT REVIEW sparked a lot of conversation and reply good work

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast