Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Naruto

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto Naruto

Ok, so I will give it a shot with Naruto ^^ I'm inspired by Mooncrow review of OP in his fanboy way, so I will do the same with my all-the-time favourite Naruto <bear in mind, that anyone can write review with his/her own review - the more-the better for newbies xD>

Title: Naruto
    Genres: Shonen, Action, Adventure, Comedy/Drama, Fantasy
    Author: Masashi Kishimoto
    Artist: Masashi Kishimoto and his team: Kazuhiro Takuhashi, Osamu Kazisa, Mikio Ikemoto, Takemi Kawahara.
    Publication: Weekly Shonen Jump
    Start Date: November 1999
    End Date: On-going
    Number of chapters at review: 491
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 491

General Overview: Uzumaki Naruto, a young boy who lives in the ninja village Konoha, wants to become one day a great, respectful Hokage. The plot starts from his early age at the academy, and move onwards as he becomes stronger and stronger, meets new friends and foes and try to change the world in his own ninja way.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8,5
    The characters designs are detailed, because Kishimoto favors rather realistic style of art. The background is pure and simple, but bigger panels can have it amazingly detailed. Overall, series started with detailed art, and begun slowly to change to simple one, yet beatiful.

Plot: 8
    Series is well written, and has its moments of glory, when people will scream from happiness; there are also sad moments, when there's probability to shred a tear or two; but one thing for sure - there is little of moments, when someone will say: it's a crap. Kishimoto is unexpected, even though he gives some mithodology/art/martial arts hints from other sources. The fights are unpredictable, besides the few one, which occure rather later on in the series.

Characters: 10
    This is probably the ultimate moment of glory. Characters are well-written, ba!, they are superb written. Each character has his/her own history, background and special skills. A few characters made just to show off as the plain foes have no specific history, but you know from the first glance, if you like it or not. That's probably the one of the best things in 'Naruto' manga.

Themes: 7
    Shonen title, so: 'friendship', 'working hard for your dreams', 'genius and hard-work', 'protect what's important to you', 'power and responsibility' xD and much more. All are well written, and divided in such a way, that it's not a nuisance, but a pleasure from within.

Originality: 10
    I read many shonen title's, and 'Naruto' just seems to me the perfect shonen created up till now. I'm probably exageratting, but it's rather non-objective review. I think everything, from the beginning until now, is somewhat unique, and cool. Even if I read somewhat myths or other things, which seem quite correspond to Naruto, it's always done in the way by Kishimoto-sensei, that it shocks me - in positive way.

Overall: 10
    It's a piece of art in shonen genre mangas. It's masterpiece. It's a title, which every single person should read, if it's hobby is manga, exclusively 'shonen' one. I will just say one more thing: just read it and see for yourself. If, for some reason, you didn't like it, just stop and write your own review <based on chapters you read>

<I tried, i tried to be objective :x>. That's right, I'm completely fan/maniac of 'Naruto' <3 <if I would nto attempt to force myself, everywhere would be 10/10 >

Want more discussion on Naruto? Go here:
    Naruto Discussion Boards

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by juUnior; April 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

2. Thanks 14 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naruto

Thanks for your work =)

And I guess Naruto deserves at least one fanboy review^^ though I would encourage more objectivity from future reviewers

I'm a little surprised at your theme score though; actually theme is one category I rate Naruto quite highly in. Kishimoto's exploration of "causality" is very well done through the various characters and situations.

All in all, if you weren't objective, at least you made your biases clear, and that's all I really ask, so thank you again for participating!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i would think that the characters would deserve a lower rating because i personally don't like the main. right now, i feel like reading naruto because im interested in the less important characters, shikamaru is my favorite.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

for me its also way to high...

Art : 6
    its art so i am thinking about how hard or detail an art could be and naruto doesnt have much detail.. its simple and plain... but the mangaka draw the emotion pretty nice
    so i could give it 6 out of 10

Plot : 6
    yeah... Naruto got many anti climax... so sometimes its boring to read it...

Characters : 8.5
    Characthers is well developed... they got many characters and most of them got their own story..

Themes : 6
    well shonen like not much new theme in naruto

Originality : 7
    Okay ninja story is common... but i love the idea of how they describe ninja level, the test and others... so i gave it 7

Overall : 8
    you should read it.. its nice and good ... but i am not saying its a must...
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
    Lifeless

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member freaky2's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I can agree with Obxist's review more than the first one :P
    Naruto starts really well, and it's original, but I think Kishimoto fails a bit in his long-term planning, sorry to say it.
    Even so, I keep reading it, so it's by no means crappy^^

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Leo Seta's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Art: 6
    What started out as a rather fun sketchy style has developed into something rather more boring and lacking in detail. The inking is very singular and lacks any depth. The art does its job of course but it is certainly not one of Naruto's strong points.

Plot: 7
    Like the art, Naruto's plot began strong but has seemed to fail in the long run. Part 1 had a flow of strong arcs and interesting character development with some nice twists. Part 2 unfortunately has so far been much weaker than the first, lacking much character development, awkward twists and a general failing to carry the themes that had initially made it so strong.

Characters: 8
    Whilst the cast has now become too large for all of them to get much attention, the characters that have been developed are strong, believable and likable.

Themes: 8.5
    Naruto contains your staple Shonen theme's "friendship", "teamwork", "good overcomes evil" etc etc. It does however, have a few other themes that does make it stand out. In particular that of loneliness and acceptance. Best shown in the development of Naruto, Gaara and Sasuke and the relationships that the latter two have with the main character, this is partially what made Part 1 of Naruto a fan favorite.

Originality: 6
    Pretty much your usual Shonen set up and execution... just with ninjas.

Overall: 7
    Part 1 of Naruto was a very strong Shonen series that bred it an ARMY of fanboys, thus making Part 2 so incredibly popular despite it's weakness in comparison with other mangas of the moment. The series is still definitely worth a read and may well save itself before the end... but at the moment it's not really worth the credit it's given by the masses.
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Everyone falls, it's how you get back up that matters.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think theme and originality should switch.. since theme isn't suppose to confuse with originality .. if it is a good theme, and well written then theme should be 10 but if the theme is a bit overused then originality should go down...

anyway.. good review..

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

People Maybe when Your adressing the first post revies of mine, you can also read Obxist and Leo Seta short reviews ^^ Don't just criticise that or that <I don't mind that at all> but if so, you can also write short points of category, give Your own note and vuala - we can create topics with reviews, not just comments. People searching for new series will read not one, but more reviews and will have they own opinion if to read, or not ^^ <actually information thingy should be in the first post, but later on I think we can ommit that and just go to Category Ratings <I'm not saying this, because you comment, but it's nice to see other points in category like in Obxist or Leo commentaries ^^>
    btw. If you wish to comment, do it, but right now we have 3 reviews done by 3 people, so don't forget that
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dark-Kaomi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always enjoyed Naruto for it's originality and characters. The plot's a bit overdone but there isn't much to work with in a fighting series. I think Kishimoto did very well in that respect. Recently, though, his plots have felt off, almost forced. Kind of like he's run out of ideas. Something that I respect him for though is his ability to kill of characters, even well loved ones. Very few authors can do that and still have a strong fan base. Overall, I think this is a great series for anyone who likes fights, friends, and of course, ninjas.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with you there; no one does a death scene like Kishimoto. Definitely one of his strong points.

12. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the first arc was the best one. That's what hooked me onto the series. To say why would constitute spoilers it, but the fights in it differ greatly from the later ones which is what appealed to me.
    frack.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Inkovic's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Naruto, I do. But I wouldn't give it a 10. an 8 at the most mainly with some plot issues as well as the nindo theme done to death during Part I.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Art: 7.5
    the art s pretty basic but still looks decent enough and sometimes actually pretty damn good. there are pieces of art in the manga that are worth a 9 or even higher and some low as a 6. overall kishi really delivers in the fight moments and choreography, which is what most people actually suck at. also, he uses very unusual camera points (placing of characters and the way they are viewed during the fitghts that really makes their movements come alive), maiking actions seem almost as lively as the ones in blade of the immortal (my personal favorite manga of all time).

Plot: 8
    plot is somewhat basic but the characters and the fact that its actually pretty decent for a shonen make me it a 8. there are no shonen with better storys IMO, unless you look for mangas meant for an older audience like berserk, vagabond or blade of the immortal (or non fighters like akira and monster to name a few). if i reviewed it as a non shonen it wouldn't get more than a 6.5 or 7 at the most.

Characters: 9
    yes the guy before me made the right comment about the characters. never have a met a shonen with characters this great. though kishi did suffer from rare moments of stupidity (sai?), generally his characters are pretty unique and have something that sets them apart from the others. most of the good guys/girls look pretty decent design wise and im really happy that at least this manga hasn't gone all popculture like all these new mangas and animes with people wearing those cliché gay ass tight latex suits or things in those direction. (what ever happened to those glorious days of the mid 90's when designs where mostly top notch). especially most fan favorites look too damn good, characters like itachi, orochimaru, the kages, the rest of the akas, even some of the konoha punks (i mean nins) look pretty damn decent to actually good. the characters are the best in a shonen ever, rivaling those of DBZ in pure brilliance.

Themes: 5
    its all about hard work, friendships and bonds you create with people. while its not a bad thing, the main character(s) are too damn bonded that it makes the theme a little boring and frustrating even. though, even though they are the main themes of the manga (and that hard work WILL surpass genius), which are pretty boring actually, the characters living the themes sometimes make up for it. though its time the stupid main character starts making up for his stupidity and his main theme of trying to bring sasuke back.

Originality: 10
    yes a 10. in all actuality, i was really waiting for another one of those samurai/ninja mangas to come out again, and i mean quality ones like blade of the immortal and ninja scroll. what do i get? i kiddy manga with ninjas in it. then my little brothers started reading it and watching the anime actually getting hooked on it. didn't understand why. till i started watching the anime, first 10 eps where pretty boring IMO, though after the first 20 or so i was also pretty hooked. well the anime got worse and worse, becoming a piece of shit now after the fillers. the good point about it? well i started reading the manga at the same time i started to watch the anime (when it was still before its 20th eps), and damn. i got hooked. the manga has still never let me down (well some small points did harm it a little, some characters getting stupid and just dying of out of stupidity, like kakuzu and jiraiya, not seeing how jiraiya actually was able to nail one of pains bodies while they seemed unkillable, yeah, wtf). the sheer amount of characters and potential of this manga made kishi a very wealthy man, its not hard to see why. just read it and find out for yourself.

Overall: 8
    i will never give another shonen manga a point of this magnitude. there are things in the manga that will keep reminding us that it is a shonen and that its actually meant for kids (though adults like myself like it too it seems), yet even though of these facts it still remains to impress me most of the time. and the characters keep me returning to see what will happen to them. kishi has made them really likable and interesting. some shonens have the art, some the story, some the characters, naruto is basically the shonen that has all of it, and then some. best shonen ever created, period.

hope y'all liked it.
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM.

16. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member LoktarOgar's Avatar
    Country
    North Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Now how can you write such an accurate review of BotI and then claim stuff like "best shonen ever created" about Naruto? >_>;
    "I'm Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise." - Jack O'Neill

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoktarOgar View Post
    Now how can you write such an accurate review of BotI and then claim stuff like "best shonen ever created" about Naruto? >_>;
    because it is a shonen. tell me how many shonens you know that can rival naruto? none. mention the best ones, HxH, 666, DBZ, jojo, yuyuhakusho and all that other shit? yeah, HXH was pretty good, but looking at the rest, name me a shonen that can hold its own against naruto the manga? thanx. FMA, ok if this is a shonen it can, but besides this one? and don't you dare say bleach or anything as corny as that, cause its all shonen and not of narutos quality.

p.s. i rated it as a shonen. meaning a story that was originally for kids (this rate it softer). on its own naruto is still worth a 6 overall at the very least. maybe even a 7. don't go comparing it to stuff like berserk or blade of the immortal. these mangas are in a different league, like how one wouldn't compare akira to bleach. just my 2 cents. besides i don't think you wanna make some kid cry by saying naruto isn't as good as that. -_-.

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast