Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Yakitate!! Japan

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Snaker's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Yakitate!! Japan

Hello, ladies and gentlemens. I'm going to present you a review of the unique manga, called
    "Yakitate!! Japan" or "What the hell is going on over here...." (j/k)

Title: Yakitate!! Japan
    Genres: Comedy, Cooking, Shounen
    Author: Takashi Hashiguchi
    Artist: Takashi Hashiguchi
    Publication: Shonen Sunday
    Start Date: 2002 (need more accurate info)
    End Date: January 10, 2007
    Number of chapters at review: 194 (the others hasn't been translated yet)
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 194

General Overview: The story focuses on Kazuma Azuma, a boy on his quest to create "Ja-pan", a national bread for Japan itself. He initially heads to Tokyo to expand his bread-making horizons at the bread-making chain Pantasia; the story continues with Azuma's exploits with his other coworkers. (- from wikipedia)

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8/10
    Ah, Tsukino-chan...
    Though art is not too original, it is very-very good. The character design is great, thus making them memorable.

Plot: 8/10
    The story is very interesting, with a lots of twists, and... stupidity (in a good sense of word). The "reactions", which is the main unique feature of the manga (you'll understand when you'll see it), make you think that mangaka is on crack or something.
    The arcs are great too, very satisfying and interesting, filled with the "bread matches". Yeah, it sounds boring, but... with the "reactions", they can be for you as cool as your favourite One Piece fights.

Characters: 9/10
    My second best favourite cast of characters. They are memorable, kinda original and just perfect for this story, in my opinion. Only one con - seems like mangaka didn't wanted to develop them too much...

Themes: 10/10
    The main theme is making bread. And Hashiguchi-sensei grips to it tight and doesn't let go.
    You will recieve a mountains of information about bread and bread making, and will be surprised that you are not bored at all (well, if you are, you can just skip it anyway..)! Of course, you can't take manga as a whole seriously, but author definitely knows his thing.

Originality: 10/10
    They are making bread. Touché.

Overall: 9/10
    Don't think. Just read it. Bear the first few chapters and you will be rewarded with the LOTS of comedy and the great story.

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Luckas; April 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
    I won't be doing any more reviews, if anyone caNo more reviews from me. Sorry, if you liked them...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yakitate!! Japan

Thanks for doing this one It was actually on my list to do this weekend, so you saved me the time^^

A very nice job too, this is absolutely worth checking out. And it proof that with good writing, you can do an excellent story about "anything"!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kaizoku-ou's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

i think this is a decent manga as well but i'd give it an overall 8 at most, because it tends to be way too repetitive and the latest chapters are far more extravagant regarding the reactions. i think is a more childish kind of manga (even as a shounen) but hey if you like comedy this is the perfect thing to read, specially the omakes, those are hilarious

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner delta2cain1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i would like to know that total number of chapters in the series

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Yakitate ended with the 242nd chapter.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a great manga. Hilarious and also education if you want to learn how to bake bread and what not.

New Reply