Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bleach by Kubo Tite

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach by Kubo Tite

It feels as if the story is rushing by too quickly. Some plot development is needed inter spread between arcs to keep the story fresh and interesting. Really I think it would be nice if Kubo took a small hiatus and just planned out what he wants to do next.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gigantor21's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Well, he's going into a Gaiden/Side Story arc, which looks to be WAY more interesting than anything we've seen in recent months. Thing is, it may well end up being shitty again once Kubo gets back into the main story--he hasn't given us much to look forward to, save the top Espada fights.

I think he should take a break, too. His schedule is fucking ridiculous--he works 7 days a week, and only has time to get a haircut when he's free. Not exactly ideal labor conditions.

...WTF is Aizen smiling about? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Random YouTube Comment
    "Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, like most people here i really like the characters. to me chad isn't my fav main character I like rukia much more.. Bleach has it up and down moment like i really like Soul Society's plots but fairly disappointed about the second major arc..

at once point i could give this series a 10 but right now maybe an 8.2
    Last edited by weixiaobao; April 05, 2008 at 11:52 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach is an action blockbuster: cool characters, SPFX, action ... , no coherence, no originality. IMO, Bleach is the most overrated manga of the last 10 years. Not that the manga is bad, I just think that it gets more attention than deserved.

Bleach can be awful or very good. Tite kubo is probably one of the best mangaka to create cool characters and that's why bleach have so much success. Reading this can be really fun but the brain should be turned OFF.

But still, Bleach is by far less intesting than the 2 other big hits HITS (naruto,OP).

I'm just glad that tite kubo finally wakes up.

Quote Quote:
    brainless entertainment
    hahaha, it's exactly that.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member genkizen's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the general consensus here. The characters is what I love the most in this manga. What other manga/anime shows there main characters in so many different outfits? That takes a certain level of skill and passion for what you do.

The artistic characterizations in bleach I would take as a testament to his literary capabilities, which makes it even more of a shame to see what has happened to the bleach storyline. Kubo just seems to get lost in all of the action and fight scenes among the almost innumerable amount of characters he's created, which at times makes the manga go at a snails pace (just like the last arc). The problem is we get all of this brainless action with very minimal plot development. At the least we recieved character development on the enemy characters of the last two big fights. Both were really good, but the last one in particular (consisting of flashbacks) was simply amazing. The setting, the situation and the flashbacks were done with an incredible level of skill. If only he would take that much care with the main storyline. I keep reading because I really think Tite Kubo is going to surprise me in good ways.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Art - Nothing overly special, but the art just looks so cool. Even if the it in itself is pretty plain.

Plot - Before & During SS - 8. After - 2. The plot has completely disappeared to the point that the current arc is the a horrendous recycling of a previous arc. Tite has no idea where he's going with the series and no idea what he's doing with the characters.

Characters used to interest me, but now with the horrible plot and the characters just being thrown around like rag dolls, they've become irrelevant. (See Plot for score)

Theme: Started out good, but the whole Shinigami concept was thrown out the window à la Naruto with ninjas (Don't make me believe there are actual ninjas in Naruto, you're delusional if you think otherwise). Now it's theme is fighting with no real goal to head towards.

Originality: A lot of them same. Started out interesting, then just turned to crap.

Overall: Before & During SS, a good 7. Very fun to watch/read. After, a 2. Horrible, horrible stuff.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After taking a second look, I docked the Art and Characters down to 7 and the overall score to 6.5. The drop in quality was worse than I thought.
    Last edited by gigantor21; July 29, 2008 at 05:41 PM.

"Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't personally be over harsh on the series nowadays, though it's never reached that fantastic a point. Characters are probably the focus point of any score, if only by the sheer number of them, and the promise to focus on them, even if only a little bit, throughout the manga. The soul society arc's plot layout felt like a tired retread of ye olde damsel in distress/self improvement stories, and left me cold, much as the plotless previous arc did before this gaiden period.

where it stands now, the main protagonist's purpose in the story is to be mindless and boring, with the climactic events and focus on some beloved characters outside of that actually reviving my early love of the manga

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

im looking for a new Manga to read... im currently following Naruto and One Piece and love them both... i dont wanna read all these chapters out and not enjoy it... i only read the first chapter and it was whatever... is Bleach anything like those 2

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to Volume 20, it's just as good as the other 2. You're pretty much up the creek after that.

"Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dedal_x's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I say?

I read a LOT of different manga, mostly seinen, but I also read shounen in WSJ.

I dropped reading One Piece a while ago - I felt the plot was going around in circles. I'm considering dropping Naruto for the same reason. But I'm still reading Bleach. Because Bleach knows how to do it's job - take your throat and keep you going with it. Lately, bashing this manga has become somewhat of a fad; yes, some things in Bleach had become somewhat fuzzy to understand, but I think that this massive bashing is more of a social thing, then actual relevancy to manga's plot.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dedal_x View Post
    What can I say?

I read a LOT of different manga, mostly seinen, but I also read shounen in WSJ.

I dropped reading One Piece a while ago - I felt the plot was going around in circles. I'm considering dropping Naruto for the same reason. But I'm still reading Bleach. Because Bleach knows how to do it's job - take your throat and keep you going with it. Lately, bashing this manga has become somewhat of a fad; yes, some things in Bleach had become somewhat fuzzy to understand, but I think that this massive bashing is more of a social thing, then actual relevancy to manga's plot.

I disagree. Social series bashing has been around for years and years--just look at Naruto--but the Bleach complaints have followed a very specific pattern.

When I first started coming to this forum, we were in the latter half of the Arrancar arc, and the tone was far more positive and forward thinking. But throughout the HM Arc, people became jaded, and all the fond predictions about the war gave way to bitching about when the arc would end. This can't be a strictly social phenomenon IMO--not with all the adulation Oda gets in the OP section whenever I go there.

People just don't like what they're seeing. :/

"Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two major complaints about Bleach these days:

1. Lack of character development of the main cast, and
    2. Plot repetition

I think that both are valid complaints. That's not to say that he doesn't have room to turn it around, and I think he's given us some faint hope that he will, but to say that the bashing is a purely herd-driven thing is a bit disingenuous.

The larger problem is, I think, that people are a little tired of mangakas (and writer's in general) starting out with so much promise and then slowly descending to mediocrity. The beginning of Bleach is absolutely brilliant, but it only serves to magnify the flaws of some of the later arcs in comparison.

But as I said, I think there's still hope for this one. A good ending can excuse a huge amount of flaws in the middle if done properly; so, we'll see =)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncrow View Post
    The larger problem is, I think, that people are a little tired of mangakas (and writer's in general) starting out with so much promise and then slowly descending to mediocrity. The beginning of Bleach is absolutely brilliant, but it only serves to magnify the flaws of some of the later arcs in comparison.

I know for damn sure I'm sick of that shit. No question. It's happened to almost all of my favorite series--Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Death Note...the list just goes on and on. Of those favorites, the only 2 that didn't lose that initial panache would be One Piece and RuroKen.

As far as Bleach is concerned...I don't know. Kubo has reduced the story to a series of duels and little else. There are angles that could make it something more--but Kubo had all the tools he needed to make the HM Arc cool, and look what happened. I don't know if I can put much faith in him anymore.

"Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Death Note, you don't like the second part but it's nowhere near as bad as others please. You can be a huge L fan, you have to admit that M and N are cool characters. And the story is still of a high quality.

Plus, the end is excellent and it ends how it should ends from the beginning.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast