Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [FEATURED] Hunter x Hunter

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter x Hunter [FEATURED] Hunter x Hunter

Title: Hunter x Hunter
    Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Shounen
    Author: Yoshihiro Togashi
    Artist: Yoshihiro Togashi
    Publication: Shonen Jump
    Start Date: 1998
    End Date: On-going but on a hiatus, again
    Number of chapters at review: 261
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 261

General Overview: Gon wants to be a hunter so that he may follow in his fathers footsteps, and decides to set out on a quest to become a hunter and to eventually find his father. His quest will take him around the world meeting new people and stuff, and he ends up fighting a lot, and i really start to hate his character later.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)
    Theres going to be two ratings, 1st arc & 2nd, then everything after first arc.

Art: 8 , 3
    Wow i really liked this manga when i started reading it, i got into for the reason that my younger brother was watching the anime so i was well that's cool. The art starts off very detailed with good attention to detail nothing bad at all, very well executed. A little later on some white backgrounds less detail but nothing to worsen the characters.
    2nd arc looks great too, starts to falter a bit here and there with empty backgrounds, more of a here's the situation now lets plug in the people, but for some reason, every once in awhile it gets better so it was all bad considering 2nd arc was my favorite, 3rd arc and later, suck donkey balls, it isn't even art then, its just sketches characters start to lose defining features, backgrounds die off, layers? what's that?

Plot: 8 , 5
    Yay i like this plot, its pretty cool in fact it reminds me of the game 'Arc the lad' if anyone knows about it. It progresses in a nice fashion too. Not any big plot twists though nothing to make u go holy smokes, but something u could see coming even if u didn't know how the author did it, you would be a bit more like wtf, that's a horrible reason to explain how that happened... It further adds new challenges for the characters in the series by making them learn new things so they can be on par with other hunters.

The current arc that their in and the one before that suck. You can tell the author has run out of things to do, because nothing is making much sense any more, at this stage, in the mind of the reader is acceptable to say that gon and his friend are top tier hunters and the series should end but its not going to... The arc before this one though i must admit had a cool thing going on by using a "card system" but then it got old.

Characters: 6 , 6
    Its the same thing it never changes for both versions, characters are great and memorable, nicely drawn and very different from each other. Different skill sets and all, they even have their own backgrounds to further flesh them out. Then that's where the problem is, you just spent 3 chapters reading about someone, u never see them again.... They are so important to the story, but they never come back, or they die really fast, I don't know what its but characters come and go faster than anything I've seen in any manga. The author makes a point to try to make every person encountered a memorable character that is going to be significant only to be never seen from again... i don't like it at all

Themes: 9 , 9
    Same shounen themes as is replicated in every other one friendship, trying hard, putting your mind to work, its what you would expect nothing new but then again thankfully he doesn't screw this up at all he executes it in a good fashion

Originality: 9 , 5
    The main idea behind the first two arcs were great, the fashion in which they were performed was run-of-the-mill to be exact but it was nice and enjoyable.

the latter was a bit more on the side of, are u serious? This bites donkey balls, because for its drawn out, and very long, longer than it should be, 3rd arc was pretty original actually but i know its been done before and in a better fashion, current is just the end of the series kind of thing, more like lets milk this sucker.

Overall: 8, 2
    To be honest for your own good, just imagine the manga ends after the second arc, its not worth read afterwards, it starts to become really pointless and exaggerated.

I'm going to re-do this

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Luckas; April 18, 2008 at 07:50 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member renrutal's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter

What the hell, can't you name the arcs? Like Hunter Exams, Zaoldyeck Family & Celestial Tower, Genei Ryodan, Greed Island and Chimera Ant arcs?? That's far from spoiler-ish.

More I read this, less you make sense.

You're telling everyone to do not bother reading Genei Ryodan and Greed Island story arcs? Are you nuts?

Moderator message by: Mooncrow
    Try to keep things a little more constructive please, and a little less abrasive
    Last edited by Mooncrow; January 07, 2008 at 08:23 AM.

3. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

HxH has never been a manga witch defined it self by great art, the story is just awesome and gets better with every arc

sry, I cant agree with your review

Moderator message by: Mooncrow
    be careful when leaving comments, we don't want to start any bashing
    Last edited by Mooncrow; January 07, 2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: edited for bashing

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dark-Kaomi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The art does get sloppy at times and is hard for me to understand at points. But, I personally love this series and rank it in my top ten. I just hope the author will continue soon.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Musashi_Keiji's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously what a horrible review...
    As it was said already HxH isn't a manga known for its "art". For it it's all about the story and complexity of using Nen.

Since you didn't actually say up to what part is arc 1,2, and the rest.... I'll just the only point at which the manga is really ever stale is during the first half of the GI arc, its finale is pretty awesome.

Also on the art being just sketches in later chapters, it seems you weren't informed that the mangaka was on hiatus because he was quite sick. Those chapters are chapters he did while still in a bad state. The book volumes of those chapters are actually redrawn.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Franco will be re-doing this review this week, so please keep that in mind

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

The review need to be more objective ... looking forward for the revision ..

Heres some simple reviews from me :

Art : 5.5
    As usual i am talking about art complexity ... just like naruto this manga is simple but got a nice art though later on Chimera Ant Arc the art is really dropping... too bad its because Togashi-sensei is badly sick... but he promise that the tankoubouns version of Chimera Ant Arc will got better art..

Plot : 8
    i really like greed island arc but somehow genei ryodan arc is kinda down.. overall plot score 8 HxH got a good story

Characters : 7
    Characters is good though some of them is not well introduced and lack of development.

Theme : 6
    Nothing much new.. and until now the main theme that i got is about friendship

Originality : 8.5
    Okay i love HxH idea... a "Hunter" is really a new idea... the world that they created full of mystery ... really i love the "Hunter" thing

Overall : 8
    Good manga..You should read it though its not a must
    Last edited by njt; March 15, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
    Lifeless

9. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I appear banal but I totally agree with Obxist review and I'm happy to find someone who loved the Greed Island arc and wasn't fond of the genei ryodan arc, from what I get reading some forums the general consensus is different.

Imho, HunterXHunter is a very solid shonen manga not a masterpiece but a very good manga and very enjoyable. The plot, even if not very original, is interesting and Togashi created some characters very fascinating, so much it is a shame they weren't developed more. Unfortunately the author had some problems and so the manga suffered a lot.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member abu_89's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides the Chimera Ant arc, the series was awesome..
    Proving 1 = 2 wrong
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

HXH is definetly one of the best mangas out there.

The story is very good first off, it flows very nicely, and has bits of character development sprinkled throughout (better than most shonen mangas). The art is also superb, despite the few scribbly chapters in the Chimera Ant Arc. Togashi has that 'minimalism (sp?)' style and it just adds a very cool and relaxing style to his art and story that makes it stand out.

My only complaint is that the Greed Island Arc got a little too convoluted with its RPG rules for my taste. And I'll admit honestly that I'm not a huge proponent of RPGs.

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia-Aboriginal
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Chimera Ant arc.. the only thing i found annoying is the 2 years of hiatus and another few weeks of hiatus. It kinda disrupt the story mood.

For me, HxH is one of the best manga out there, definitely in my top ten and definitely higher than Naruto but that's not saying much as I've stop reading/watching Naruto.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member shibigoku's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

you do know that the mangaka is terribly sick and is making an inhuman effort to finish the manga? otherwise his girlfriend (sailor moon's mangaka) will take over the series which would mean ULTIMATE SUPERBEAUTIFUL MOON LIGHT death for this manga. So make an effort to appreciate the arcs even though they're falling in quality.

I personnally think this manga has/had the potential to be one of the best mangas out there. It's pure shounen with martial art, clans, upgrades, techniques, insane enemies, etc...
    Last edited by shibigoku; March 04, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shibigoku View Post
    you do know that the mangaka is terribly sick and is making an inhuman effort to finish the manga? otherwise his girlfriend (sailor moon's mangaka) will take over the series which would mean ULTIMATE SUPERBEAUTIFUL MOON LIGHT death for this manga. So make an effort to appreciate the arcs even though they're falling in quality.

I personnally think this manga has/had the potential to be one of the best mangas out there. It's pure shounen with martial art, clans, upgrades, techniques, insane enemies, etc...
    Unless youre a troll, I want you to take a moment to go and research what you just claimed and give it a thought. (in reference to the first paragraph)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know the manga continued! This makes me very happy \o/

Since I only watched the anime before, I've got some questions... After the Greed Island Story Arc comes the Chimera Ant arc, am I right? Anybody who knows when the Chimera Ant arc starts? Which volume?

Thanks

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You can start from chapter 185, which is volume 18. That's where Gon gets to choose 3 cards to take with him.

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast