Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [FEATURED] Hunter x Hunter

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny510 View Post
    If anything, I find that the Ant arc dives even deeper into the psychology of not only the protagonists, but also the antagonists. I don't see how the Ant Arc is "bad" at all. I'm glad this manga isn't turning into a "charge up and use superior power level + willpower to overwhelm the opponent" type of series.
    after the last chapters, it's easy to say that. But the beginning of the arc was catastrophic, it was slow and the basic idea was horrible. From the beginning of the manga, we have seen hardworking people mastering nen with a lot of sacrifices. And now, we have ants mastering nen in 2 weeks like it was nothing. And the charisma of the ants is at level 0 if you compare them with genei ryodan or zoldyeck family.

And, at the graphical/design level, the ant arc is the worst by far. King's design is just another cell.

And last but not least, there are more battles in the last arc than in all previous arcs. More battles means less development.The actual battles are great but the first ones ...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I ve always thought Hunter X Hunter actually had the potential to be THE VERY BEST of them all. Especially right before the greed island arc, because i seriously ABSOLUTELY appreciated the genei ryodan story. Really found it fantastic. Greed island was definitely not bad at all, the card thing going on was pretty cool. Chimera ant.... Well in my personal and honest opinion I was quite sad because one of the things that i LOVED about this manga was its realistic-ness, especially up to just before greed island. It seemed REALLY feasible to me. But after chimera ant arc, it becomes much less. Well, I just hope he doesnt end the manga in a hurry.

OH and i really really like togashi using Both Gon and Killua as the main characters, roughly equal strength overall, equal potential, and very different personalities.

Ratings:

Art : 6.5
    Plot : 8.5
    Characters : 9.5
    Themes : 7. Before Chimera ant and maybe (possibly) greed island, 10.
    Originality : 8.

HxH is my personal favourite manga

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, not to bash or anything, nice long and good review kinda.
    Just that you should try to simplify your explanations.

And about letting the manga stop because, "gon and killua are top 'tier' hunters"
    made me wonder if you actually read the whole manga.. Yeah, they're kinda good hunters
    better then average probably (comparing to the old guys), but why should the story end when
    Gon becomes extremly good hunter? The whole point of the story is to watch Gon grow and get stronger AND ____find his father____

EDIT: I posted this after reading the first review..

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Umbra Wolf's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    after the last chapters, it's easy to say that. But the beginning of the arc was catastrophic, it was slow and the basic idea was horrible. From the beginning of the manga, we have seen hardworking people mastering nen with a lot of sacrifices. And now, we have ants mastering nen in 2 weeks like it was nothing. And the charisma of the ants is at level 0 if you compare them with genei ryodan or zoldyeck family.
    Well the basic idea was not bad at all in my opinion but the pacing was indeed horrible.
    But I have another problem with the concept: We're talking about a worldwide invasion. Call Gin, hire all of the Zoldycks! Don't appear with your bodyguard, your secretary who is useless when it comes down to fighting and take two kids and two apparently random guys from the street. This ain't a game like Greed Island it's about the extinction of mankind but less people seem to care than to finish a video-game. It appears to me striking illogical.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, There are certainly SOME misconceptions here. I'll try to clarify some of them.

The whole 'long term illness' thing, is and presumably always will be, rumour. The explanations that generally apply to the WSJ editions being in poor quality and far apart are pretty much easier to swallow.

In WSJ, the editors are often considered cruel, forcing series to continue on past their mark (e.g. dragon ball going past the frieza saga, against toriyamas original intentions), or offering little to no breaks a year. Now around the end of YYH it is said that Togashi's sheer popularity was at a peak, and he could hold some control over what he did, else he could stop drawing in readers, something crucial at the dark period WSJ was nearing, or in, i forget. As such, he gets a good payrate, more breaks, and through his own choice was allowed to work with no assisstants, and most importantly, broke out of the forced continuation thing.

Then came his next series, hunter x hunter. With this he was further in with his life with the sailor moon mangaka than before, and spent as much time as possible with her, and even more once he had a child some time later. These long absences are usually applicable to this, as hunter x hunter takes massive breaks and yet loses no ground with shueisha due to the popularity of the series.

And the quality of his art is rapidly produced, by himself, for WSJ, in whatever bouts he manages, and has the final versions worked on in his breaks to be released in tankobon format.

A good example of this would be when he returned last october. he did the poor quality chapters for 10 weeks, then had another ten weeks off, in which he produced the final quality versions for the tankobon, released when he returned, for, and i love this, another ten weeks. hopefully this pattern continues.

but basically there you have it. theres also some use of his time where apparently he gets addicted to rpgs, but i dont know much about that.

hopefulyl that gives you more of an idea of what COULD very well be the case, and seems the closest answer to the truth, considering Shueishas 'Togashi-ism'

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fallou's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I'd say about HxH is that i'm glad it has survived. Of course, it's not as good as it was when it started, the chimera ant arc is really lame sometimes, and the art sometimes makes you think:what the heck is togashi makin fun of us?. But it was such a promising shonen at the beginning that i just can't help but think that things are gonna be better.Weirdly, my favorite arc is the Genei Ryodan one, because it's really different than usual shonen, it's very adult, violent, and sometimes complicated.
    Vooooooooooiiiii!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, i planning to read this series for year after falling in love with yuyu hakusho anime, though after looking at yuyu hakusho manga, which was a turn down for me because of the art..

Well, i first glance my opinion was "cool, another shonen.." but the plots getting darker and darker as the story progress.

Art: point range 4-9 avg 8 out of 10
    Good, didn't annoy me, and not a negative factor, well some of the characters and places design was super, but other times was very typical and expected.. in the middle/beginning of the Chimera Ant arc, the art was a bit less than average at time ..

Plot: lowest 6 highest 10 avg around 9.2
    At time the plot is pretty unpredictable especially when the readers try to predict which side characters going to play a huge role.. It is quite moving at least for me who read almost the entire series in 2 days and not have to wait week by week.

the first arc and follow up was very very good .. and Genei Ryodan/ Greed Island was darker and surprising .. and after that Chimera Ant arc just turn the whole series into another Claymore/ Berserk ..
    Though the Chimera Ant arc i believe is appearing way too early in the story, and should have waited a bit more for the characters to developed.. But because it is the way it is the story developed much faster and was very unexpected.. (I skim through the Chimera Ant arc instead of actual reading)

Characters: point 10, excluding the Chimera Arc
    I love hxh characters, some though appear briefly yet very very memorable. I am fine that they didn't have thorough screen time or develop more before they die because I refer that than the there are flaw in character development..

the antagonist (excluding chimera ant arc) especially ryodan were especially awesome.... some are quite unique even comparing to other series ..

the main characters .... wonderfully developed, all of them have certain flaws in which make them even more likeable ..

Theme: perfect 10 out of 10
    if we just describe this as typical shonen jump, then this probably an understatement.. Tagashi-sensei bring these basic theme in a different kind of level .. in the "friendship" category there are more than just sacrifice more than just silence bond.. the friendship between Gon and Killua especially in the chimera arc had developed in such deep deep level and in such a way that even way way beyond naruto-sasuke or etc friendship.

In "Trying, not to give up" theme.. the story also show giving up, also show people who have their dreams shatter, who have the will but do not have the strength, which but one cannot help but feel pity and sincere.. which give it a realistic feel.. Some only death will end their struggle.. Gon, the main character, put his life out there couple of time reinforce this theme..

Originality: 9+
    I don't really read that many manga in an otaku level yet but this series really got my respect , and keep surprising me .. In my limited view the originality is very good.

Edited to conform the review to the review template. ~ Luckas
    Last edited by Luckas; April 27, 2008 at 05:25 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most ppl, I'm not a huge fan of the Chimera Ant arc but I find the King and Gou's relationship very interesting. There are some points in the Chimera Ant arc that are quite fascinating like Killua finally figured out that a needle was buried in his head, etc. I hope that this series doesn't end after this arc since there is still some much development and loose strings.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Sagara's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xblkdrag0nx View Post
    Like most ppl, I'm not a huge fan of the Chimera Ant arc but I find the King and Gou's relationship very interesting. There are some points in the Chimera Ant arc that are quite fascinating like Killua finally figured out that a needle was buried in his head, etc. I hope that this series doesn't end after this arc since there is still some much development and loose strings.
    Yeah I feel that same way, the Chimera arc has got its interesting parts. I really enjoyed the beginning of the new arc but now its just getting boring for me

The anime rules though and I hope it doesnt end soon, and it comes out of hiatus

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OdaForPresident's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda agree with the review, most of this series has been great, everyting exept the ant arc. Personally greed island was my favourite arc. The great thing about this manga is that the way the main characters is very natural, training, training and training, mostly the basics. Very different from sudden power increases like bankai, hollow mask, rasengan, gear second etc. Too bad about the art work though. Anyone know why the show got so crappy? I read somewhere the author got sick or that there where contractual issues, anyone know something more?

EDIT: Just read the rest of this topic and now know he's sick, real shame.
    Last edited by OdaForPresident; July 31, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

keep in mind that the illness is by and large fan speculation, the more common reasoning people are looking at nowadays is the one detailed in my post further up the page.

after all, we wouldn't want to feel too sorry for someone who's not sick or injured, like the mysterious absence of Koji Inada due to illness at current eh

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Azrael's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved this series but the thing that really irritated me was when Togashi went on hiatus at really odd points in the chimaera ant arc and that just ruined the flow of that arc completely. The whole series was incredibly complex,
    Spoiler show
    and the ideas were interesting for all the different arcs.

The really unique thing about this series I think was that you found out all you really needed to know about Gon in the first arc and everything after that was an add on really. The relationships between people are really interesting in this, for instance Killua's relationship with his family is rather dysfunctional and Kurapika is willing to sacrifice everything to get revenge. Gon and Hisokas relationship is on a whole new level, I mean who would think of putting two enemies in situations which almost makes them seem like friends and rivals while also putting in the fact that Hisoka also seems to constantly think about either fights or killing Gon.

The whole story has lots of interesting points plus some incredible artwork (and some incredibly shoddy artwork). This is definately one of my all time favourite manga(s?).

(Win! I got the ultimate answer post!)
    Last edited by Azrael; August 08, 2008 at 05:10 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

... .also he thinks about molesting gon.

dont tell me you don't remember how he stared at their butts on GI, or when he was talking about gon, and there were radial speedlines coming out of his crotch...

but it is a very interesting relationship.... and it ties in with the character personalities.

Gon: Think buhdda (Unless it offends you) He can clear his mind, think calmly ib nost situations, see the flip side in every situation.... etc

he's not very bright, but he is wise.

Killua: Analytical, and street smart, but nowhere near as open minded as gon.

Kurapika: The avenger.... that's about it. He is rather flat compared to gon and killua, but that's not really much of a problem.

Leorio: This one's a mystery since he hasn't been fleshed out.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member petocities's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

As many people said, i have to say this is one of the best mangas out there.
    I mean, the idea is quite original, it has a LOT of good characters, art kinda sucks after some time, but while following the anime, it is awesome; the sotry is complex, ready to be developed into any direction while keeping a very, very good argument; and if maybe not all the time, but most of it it keeps you quite entertained.

We all know that the ant arc wasn't the best, but until that, it was (if not) the best manga out there. I REALLY hope Yoshihiro keep this going as when it began...

Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add, on mangashare theres the full manga uploaded and viewable online, and there its goes till chapter 280, as long as i read the story till now, it always continues with the same refrain, gon and killua training and powering up, beating everyone

cant wait till 6th october then the manga drawings will be continued

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast