Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Kekkaishi

  1. #1
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member CupofDice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Kekkaishi

    Title: Kekkaishi
    Genres: Shounen, Action, Supernatural
    Author: Yellow Tanabe
    Artist: Yellow Tanabe
    Publication: Shōnen Sunday
    Start Date: February 18, 2004
    End Date: On-going
    Number of chapters at review: 157 scanned
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 157

    General Overview: Two Kekkaishi protect Karasomori, the land where a powerful lord died hundreds of years ago, from the Ayakashi (demons) who arrive every night to receive power from the land.

    Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)


    Art: 8

    I really like the art. The main character's designs is unique, and the art as a whole has just the right amount of detail. Fights are definitely a high point because we get really good views of the techniques used, as opposed to something like Air Gear where attention is lavished on certain moves.


    Plot: 7

    The plot centers around Karasumori, the land the school is built on, and where a lord who had a special power died 500 years ago. His death immersed the land with a power that is so attractive to the demons because the more time they spend there, the more they evolve and the faster they heal. Throughout the series the plot focuses on various demons attempting to gain power from Karasumori, and we also get the history of the characters and the land. The plot does become deeper as some of the smarter demons form an organization to take over Karasumori, and we find that the Kekkaishi have 'allies' with their own powers and organization. The plot seems to be getting deeper, and some of the complaints that I earlier had are probably gone with Yoshimori taking on a greater role outside of Karusomori. Still this may only be temporary.


    Characters: 7

    I still agree with my earlier view that the characters are well made. Yoshimori is unique in his amazing level of laziness, and a lot of the humor in the story comes from that. Tokine is your typical smart female sidekick, but I have no problem with that. I wish that we got a better look at the characters of the Urakai though, and even though I like the fact that Yellow can kill of a character, he/she might want to let us get to know the character better before they die.


    Theme: 3

    I was probably wrong when I said Kekkaishi had no theme. It does and it focuses on Yoshimori's wish to protect Tokine from further harm. Of course I also think this is pretty weird considering the fact that Tokine seems more capable of protecting herself than Yoshimori. Do we really need another manga where the guy has this desire to protect the girl who doesn't need protecting. It would be a lot cooler if Yoshimori wasn't so shortsighted. He also wants to protect the town, but that isn't really an important part of the story, and we really don't get to meet the citizens to care enough about protecting them.


    Originality: 7

    Kekkaishi definitely has a different flow than other shounen fighting mangas, yet it also sticks to tradition in certain areas. As I said in my earlier review, the skills used by the Kekkaishi are simple and well thought out. It definitely makes for good fights where you have to use your brain.


    Overall: 7

    Kekkaishi is definitely a manga worth reading, and provides a relief from the other major shonen titles with it's relaxed plot. I still can't say whether or not the plot will get deeper, which I hope it does, or else things will get pretty boring. Still, I recommend this manga to fans of the other major shonen fighting mangas.

    Pictures
    Spoiler show

    Old Review
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by CupofDice; May 05, 2008 at 08:32 PM.


  2. #2
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Just a little note the girl's name is Tokine, Madarao is the ghost dog who helps Yoshimori.

    Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

  3. #3
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    great review... though for me art point should be 7.5 because its simple and the emotion is not very well described ( i am talking about complexity XD).. but the monster in Kekkaishi is pretty good ... i like it... and its unique

    hmm but that a bit harsh on theme point

    Okay Overall this manga deserve 7.5 point from me
    you should read this manga ...

    thanks for the great review
    Last edited by Obxist; January 13, 2008 at 05:34 AM.
    Lifeless

  4. #4
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member CupofDice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Thanks Luckas.

    @Obxist- I really like it simple. You can focus more on the characters and their actions. With Oh! Great the background tends to overwhelm the characters a lot.


  5. #5
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    oh yeah i forgot to review the monster.... edit my simple review up there
    Lifeless

  6. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Windmillblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bronx NY Baby!!!!
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Can we talk about the anime here? cause if we can we need a petition to get the translated episodes atleast once a week. An episode gets translated like once a month. A kekkaishi fan like me is needs to advance. I too think this should be atleast top five or top ten. I dont know of monters but if he does....Wooowhooooo. uggh excuse me. But anyway Yoroshiku group is way too slow.

  7. #7
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Quote Originally Posted by Windmillblade View Post
    Can we talk about the anime here? cause if we can we need a petition to get the translated episodes atleast once a week. An episode gets translated like once a month. A kekkaishi fan like me is needs to advance. I too think this should be atleast top five or top ten. I dont know of monters but if he does....Wooowhooooo. uggh excuse me. But anyway Yoroshiku group is way too slow.
    No you should not discuss it here... you should discuss it on http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forum...f=45#mainforum

    though i havent see any kekkaishi topic..
    Lifeless

  8. #8
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    34
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Well, this is a good opportunity to make one then

  9. #9
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ddadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Meh -_-

    I totally disagree with everything said.
    ¤

  10. #10
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    center of the earth
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    i think the main char does have a goal. he wants to seal up Karasumori, i think that's wat it's called. he's trying to find ways to do so or get stronger so he can. also, luffy's goal is trying to become the world greatest pirate, but the story is usually watever falls into his lap, like yoshi.

    ps i love one piece.

  11. #11
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member CupofDice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    @ddadain-

    @secretAZNman19

    Yeah, but that is hardly some heroic save the world goal we see in other protagonists, which is why I think Kekkaishi falls short of the greatness it could be. Not to mention that it could get pretty repetitive, though I think Yellow has avoided that for now with the relaxed pacing, and by focusing on other things in the life of Yoshi (besides protecting Karasumori).
    Last edited by CupofDice; January 29, 2008 at 08:04 PM.


  12. #12
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Digitalr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Quote Originally Posted by CupofDice View Post
    @ddadain-

    @secretAZNman19

    Yeah, but that is hardly some heroic save the world goal we see in other protagonists, which is why I think Kekkaishi falls short of the greatness it could be. Not to mention that it could get pretty repetitive, though I think Yellow has avoided that for now with the relaxed pacing, and by focusing on other things in the life of Yoshi (besides protecting Karasumori).
    That is exactly the reason why it is better than the "save the world goal". Your Themes - 3 is obviously biased. I sort of get the feeling you read too much shounen (I can tell from your explanations you write under the scores).

  13. #13
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ddadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    I agree.

    Biased opinion...

    Please only make a "judgement call" when you've read up to the most recent chapter: 199.

    I'm only stopping myself from going into a rant here -_-
    ¤

  14. #14
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member CupofDice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Quote Originally Posted by erebus View Post
    That is exactly the reason why it is better than the "save the world goal". Your Themes - 3 is obviously biased. I sort of get the feeling you read too much shounen (I can tell from your explanations you write under the scores).
    First, I did not say Kekkaishi needed a 'save the world' goal. Just that other shounen mangas have them, and that was a sign that the mangaka was trying something great (even if it has been done a thousand time before). Yellow seems to play it safe and I will stick to that saying that. There is a lack of boldness in the story that exists in other shounen mangas. What does it need? That is Yellow's job to find out, not mines. Maybe it is what makes Kekkaishi different and special than the other shounen titles, but I can't help but think that it will become repetitive.

    Second, everyone has a bias. Your response to my review WAS bias. Every review in this section is bias because we all have our favorite mangas, and we will inevitably compare the one we are reviewing to them, which is often unfair to the one being reviewed. The question is biased in what way? You can't say I lied about Kekkaishi having no major theme up to the point where I have read it as of chapter 134. No story of bonds like Naruto, the importance of nakama like One Piece. That criticism does not mean that the theme running through Naruto or other shounen mangas is a good one (how Naruto cares for Sasuke and wants to 'save' him gets on my last nerve). Instead of criticizing me for saying that Kekkaishi has no major theme, how about you tell me what that theme is, and maybe I will give it some thought and change my score if you are correct.

    Third, I do indeed read a lot of fighting shounen type manga. How is that a negative when reviewing a shounen manga?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddadain View Post
    I agree.
    Biased opinion...
    Once again biased in what way. Naruto? I think that Kekkaishi is better than Naruto (because of the focus on Sasuke), Bleach (because of the loss of comedy), and One Piece (long arcs hurt when the arc sucks) right now. That would probably make it my favorite manga as I am writing this. You CAN criticize something you like

    Quote Originally Posted by ddadain View Post
    Please only make a "judgement call" when you've read up to the most recent chapter: 199.
    That is quite unreasonable. I cannot read Japanese, therefor I can only guess what is happening in the raws that I have. Your argument is the same as saying you can't review the first book in a series because the others ones aren't out yet. It makes no sense. And if Kekkaishi does get a major theme or whatever going around chapter 199, then I will think that is a bit unreasonable too to expect fans to stay around that long for the story to start kicking off (just like hitman reborn) though I plan on sticking with Kekkaishi.

    PS- I hope I didn't sound offensive, since I have no quams about a good healthy manga debate. Cheers.
    Last edited by CupofDice; February 02, 2008 at 02:17 PM.


  15. #15
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    34
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Kekkaishi

    Take the series discussion elsewhere, or write an opposing review. Reviews are always biased; part of the price we pay for being human is that we can't be totally objective. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them wrong. For what it's worth, I am current with the Japanese releases and I still can see Cup's point.

    Constructive and specific criticism is welcome; tearing on someone because they disagree with you isn't.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts