Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed

Thread: "Mass Effect"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OhDearMoshe's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

"Mass Effect"

My friend just recently sent me a link to This

Its a very interesting article. Its just a shame none of it is true. So I suppose it raises the age old argument. Do videogames have an affect on people and if so who's job is it to regulate this?

Personally I think this is a stupid case of argument because that's why we have the rating system. But if it is a problem then its up to the parents to regulate such things anyway.

Sigh.

Well I thought this would be a good laugh for people to read (Probably put it in the fun box instead) but there you go.

Spoiler: Jehuty's words of wisdom show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member _ATMA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Mass Effect"

honestly its a fairly stupid topic people will find anything to blame on anything when ever they can its always been like that and will always be like that far into the future. its just another medium for people to blame their short comings on

at least this is how i see it
    If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, does that make Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Proofreaders 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sherbetmayhem's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that although video games and tv and stuff don't directly affect those who watch it, I think the effects can be quite subconscious. For example, I'm quite certain that most people who are used to playing more violent video games are more desensitised to violence than people who don't play them. So I think it can definately have an effect. At the same time, we as humans have the power to control how much we are affected by this. For example, butchering someone with a katana on a video game clearly doesn't make that alright in reality, but for some people... it kind of does. Not everyone out there is completely 'sane', remember, and so I think we have to be careful with that sort of person playing violent games.

uh... *re-reads post* I think that makes a vague amount of sense... :S
    A Naruto/Holocaust crossover? Didn't think it was possible?

Think again.

RED

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sherbetmayhem View Post
    I think that although video games and tv and stuff don't directly affect those who watch it, I think the effects can be quite subconscious. For example, I'm quite certain that most people who are used to playing more violent video games are more desensitised to violence than people who don't play them. So I think it can definately have an effect. At the same time, we as humans have the power to control how much we are affected by this. For example, butchering someone with a katana on a video game clearly doesn't make that alright in reality, but for some people... it kind of does. Not everyone out there is completely 'sane', remember, and so I think we have to be careful with that sort of person playing violent games.

uh... *re-reads post* I think that makes a vague amount of sense... :S
    It does and I completely agree with that.

OH btw nice Sig surprising to see another Bill Bailey fan way out here in the dark reaches of the interwebs!

Proofreaders 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sherbetmayhem's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL he's huge here in England at least, he is where I come from in England

I wonder if Bill Bailey has a subconscious effect upon the viewership I wonder how many Bill Bailey fans started trying to watch their washing up through a pyrex dish after they saw him do it :P

I think you did a good job making this topic. More people should be aware that they shouldn't assume everything they see is correct or right. Take BBC news for instance. All they EVER do is report health scares, terrorist attacks, and global warming threats. They are trying to SCARE the viewership into not questioning their authority. I'm sure that some video games have the same type of agenda. Subliminal messaging exists in everything - someone can't create something without leaving an inprint of themselves in the final product.

Again, with video games, you have to also be careful about how YOUNG people are playing them. I know my cousins and I used to play video games that were WAY to old for us, but our parents didn't really seem to mind. Resident Evil scared the CRAP out of me when I was ten! lmao Seriously, though, it could probably do quite a bit of psychological damage.
    A Naruto/Holocaust crossover? Didn't think it was possible?

Think again.

RED

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sherbetmayhem View Post
    LOL he's huge here in England at least, he is where I come from in England

I wonder if Bill Bailey has a subconscious effect upon the viewership I wonder how many Bill Bailey fans started trying to watch their washing up through a pyrex dish after they saw him do it :P

I think you did a good job making this topic. More people should be aware that they shouldn't assume everything they see is correct or right. Take BBC news for instance. All they EVER do is report health scares, terrorist attacks, and global warming threats. They are trying to SCARE the viewership into not questioning their authority. I'm sure that some video games have the same type of agenda. Subliminal messaging exists in everything - someone can't create something without leaving an inprint of themselves in the final product.

Again, with video games, you have to also be careful about how YOUNG people are playing them. I know my cousins and I used to play video games that were WAY to old for us, but our parents didn't really seem to mind. Resident Evil scared the CRAP out of me when I was ten! lmao Seriously, though, it could probably do quite a bit of psychological damage.
    Hes bit in all of Englang. *points to own location* I saw him in his November arena tour

Anyways back on topic:

I think its a good reflection on how people also try and sell things to a market that's likely to be not educated in these things while twisting the truth to suite needs. Its something I see a lot of in what American press I see (I'm not saying all American press is like that however the majority of what has come to my attention stems upon this line).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy's full of it. I had never heard of "Mass Effect" before, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. It's an Sci Fi RPG rated M with one "sex scene" (which fades to black and contains no full-frontal nudity) in it. The author of the article was right about the player's ability to alter his character's appearance, and that's about it. It's not being marketed to 15 year olds, you can't go around raping people in the game, and it is actually about GI's going around shooting people. Quite frankly, the guy lied about everything in the game.

More importantly, there has been no conclusive evidence that links playing violent video games to becoming a serial killer. Kids have always played violent games - my father and uncles played "cowboys and indians", for example. Heck, one of my dad's friend's shot him in the head with a BB gun. None of them became serial killers (well, I'm not sure about the guy that shot my dad. He had anger issues).

And ya, the nightly news does drum up fear and panic, but I don't think it's so people won't question their authority. I think it's just for ratings.
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner alex321's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I beleive Sherbetmayhem is right. Obviously it is going to affect some people more than others. No one is identical, so you might think that no one would ever get more violent because of a video game... Some people does. And I think it's probably affected by your entourage more than anything....

There again, it's just common sens here. There are those who will compete so much over a video game that will get frustrated. Those that just do not care about the game and will let it go easely. On that note, have fun playing games lol.

Ghosted 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member godofthesunn's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt feel like looking up "Mass Effect" but in my opinion i've seen some common traights in people who view the same media.. i think of it in the sense of if person A read Calculus and person B reads Calculus then they have some shared knowledge. The same goes for viewing media such as vg, tv, manga,anime..

In response to vg well will someone have more violent tendencies.... who knows it really all depends on each person's mental state.. if their are enough people with weak minds then sure they may become more violent.
    How much heat can you take?

Thread Closed