Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Blade of the immortal

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Blade of the immortal

Title: Blade of the Immortal
    Genres: Samurai, Adventure, Historical, Horror
    Author: Hiroaki Samura
    Artist: Hiroaki Samura
    Publication: Kodansha (black horse does the US releases)
    Start Date: 1994-09-22
    End Date: On Going
    Number of chapters at review: 131 (21 japanese volumes)
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 131 (and till volume 21 japanese)

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9.5
    damn, the art. where to get started. lets see. the first time i got to read this manga was when i bought the first volume here in the dutch. back in 95 or something along those lines (blackhorse release), i wasn't that impressed with the art. i was actually expecting a more standard manga/anime art form back then. you know, the cliché big eyed art we where used to seeing. though, after actually reading it and looking at the art as a more adult and refined way, i really liked it. especially the choreography during the fights is fitting and real enough, not to mention those 1 or 2 page spreads with the ACTIONS happening right in your face. too good. it would have gotten a 10 if it wasn't for those few lesser draw frames. but even they lok good compared to how some manga artists fuck up with their lesses panels (HxH has some but ugly pages, i don't mean beyoncé ugly, i mean chaka kahn ugly). all in all, there are not a lot of mangas that have a style this great or art looking this damn good.

Plot: 8
    a rather simple plot. it starts of as a revenge manga (standard samurai/ninja storyline it seems), but as the story unfolds we get to learn more about the characters (the good, the bad & the ugly) and the plot starts to blossom. the characters ain't 1 dimensional at all. even rin who started as the most 1 dimensional character quickly changed into a deeper character. lets not even get started about the more interesting and twisted characters. everybody is in it for something that they want for them selves, most of the characters ain't just blind sheep that keep following a reason without any other reason being stated for it. everybody has something that they want, want to accomplish or want to forget. after the first 3 to 5 volumes the manga starts to really grow in various directions, and i don't just mean stroye wise. i mean the manga grows with everything. it gets better and better, (warning, spoiler) till manji gets caught up that is. this particular arc took its sweet time but its finally over.

Characters: 10+
    damn damn and damn again. these characters are just too damn good. i have never seem a manga/anime/game with this many great characters in it since samurai shodown (samuarai spirits for the japanese). all the characters, especially the more involved ones with the story and stronger characters have a really unique design and character. nobody is truly bad or good, just human. but just like in reality, some humans are way too twisted, and some too goodhearted. most extreme examples (contains spoilers), rin, one of the main characters who is with the main character just so she can kill the killer of her father. though she had the chance to do so a few times she let him live as she just isn't a killer on the inside and seems unable to kill unless she is pushed so far that she just cant do anything but the act to escape alive. and shira, damn this guy. hes a sadistic killer who actually enjoys killing and hunting him some itto ryo. he actually rapes and kills whores and does a shitload of other acts you'd think of as inhumanly (though in reality, humans are far worse than what any manga or anime can make out of it, we don't have the ratings for the real acts done in real life). but damn this character has TONS of character and is just too damn cool. read and learn how and why he went from a young black haired guy to a grey haired young man in 2 WEEKS!!!?! and no, he didn't paint his hair.

Themes: 9
    too many to name. this isn't some standard shonen and there are some adult problems being brought to the table. every character has his/her own problems that she brings to the story and reasons why they keep on going. and i mean from all ranks of society. read and find out for yourself. just to give a few examples, kill to make best of your sinful past, making political progress, looking for love, trying to help their son and just too many characters with too many different themes. almost every character in this manga has a different problem and some problems they share.

Originality: 10
    yes, finally, in 95/96 i found a manga that took place in old japan. samurai and ronins bound in a story thats actually pretty damn good. though there have been a few mangas and animes with samurais in them, all the good ones can be counted on 1 hand. and this particular one is in the top with the best. the best as in, ninja scroll, kenshin OVA, vagabond and of course blade of the immortal.

Overall: 9.5
    if it wasn't for the slow start of the manga (it took first 2 to 5 volumes to get REALLY into it. not to say that the first 2 volumes where bad or anything, but the story and actions really start getting out of hand after the first few volumes. at 4 or 5 it starts to really kick off. and damn it does. only after 16 or so volumes it goes in a slump for a bit. (spoiler alert again). mainly cause the main character gets caught up and he stays caught up for 3 whole volumes or something along those lines. for too damn long. though it does real kick off again after it, it just took too long for the story in general to go further. it was realer as you wouldn't be able to break someone out of jail that fast or easily. but they could have used a time skip or something similar instead of making it take this long. if it wasn't for the slow start (first 3 volumes or so) and the part where he gets caught up, i would have given it a 10.

hope y'all liked it.

MC
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: prefixing

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member LoktarOgar's Avatar
    Country
    North Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blade of the immortal

Finally a review I agree with. And Dutch too! Goede show oude man!
    "I'm Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise." - Jack O'Neill

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoktarOgar View Post
    Finally a review I agree with. And Dutch too! Goede show oude man!
    thanx en geen probleem man. moest je me afmaken op die naruto review.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Succubus's Avatar
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome review buut I would rate 10 for art.. cuz I am addicted to BotI's Art xDD
    known as Lucifer / Killy69 / Medusa / L41n / Guts

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gdupninja's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guts View Post
    awesome review buut I would rate 10 for art.. cuz I am addicted to BotI's Art xDD
    Yeah the art iz as good as it gets but I agree with everything else you said, good review for an amazing manga!!!! Thats been adapted into an anime XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made by master sig maker GrayFoxx and the render maker iThePirate
    Help us grow! http://mangaseed.com/

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gorgias's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review - even after 2 years it's up-to-date. But in my opinion Boti deserves 10/10. There are - as correctly mentioned - some retarded parts in the story, but the actual chase after Itto-Ryu is just amazing. Samura knows how to build one climax after another without losing the thread of the story. The high number of (deep and never superficial) characters promises some surprises, I'm curious about: Sori, Doa, Giichi, the two Itt-Ryu left behind at the palace...

And - c'mon - the Art ist absolutely unique and epic. That's why this manga would get 10/10 even if it hadn't a story.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blade of the Immortal. Is it a manga or an anime?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gorgias's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that question some sort of irony? - So please tell me what's the point.

However: BotI is supposed to be a manga. - Accidentally some one produced an anime three years ago.

New Reply