Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 42 of 97 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 ... LastLast

Thread: The concept of "Genius" in NARUTO

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zimbardo's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The concept of "Genius" in NARUTO

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Nagato has shown to be average without Rin'negan and remotely good only because he has Rin'negan.
    "Remotely good"?!?
    Ahem
    That said, I do agree that Itachi has been proven to be a Genius (and I also can not see how people could not see that through reading the manga)

-edit-
    Have just read over some more of this duscussion. Again people are going on about the Sharingan, and about a Ninja's skill. Genius doesn't necessarily mean skillful. You can have a very powerful ninja who is not a genius, and likewise you can have a very underpowered shinobi who is (Shikimaru is a prime example, lacking all of the massive destruction ninjutsu's/hax genjutsu's that other ninjas have).
    I now remember why I left this topic ages ago when it was still pretty much a Naruto vs Sasuke topic : /
    Last edited by zimbardo; August 09, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Infinite RAGE!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Nagato did lose at least one body in every fight we've seen him in so far. Against Jiraiya, it was three bodies, against Konoha, it was two (Konohamaru and Kakashi and his backup had the honor of taking out a body each). Hell, if Asura wasn't able to move, Deva would have been taken out as well.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's stop the personal attacks guys. Keep it friendly

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhasty View Post
    I'm just wondering how all of you could say that itachi xxxx is the same as genuis/badass as uchiha itachi.?
    Here we go...Itachi XXXXX would still have his intelligence, intellect, hand seal speed, kunai/shuriken skills, element affinities, clones, finger genjutsu, exploding clones. These are all not Sharingan or Uchiha blood related.

Now I am going to show you how badass Itachi XXXXX would be in a fight against Itachi Uchiha by your logic.

------------------------

Amaterasu? -> useless against Itachi XXXXX

Your post - June 22, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...s-Sasuke/page3
    amaterasu.? can it really burn/hit jiraiya.? jiraiya knows how to use a bunshin in any situation.. But then again, jiraiya can counter the amaterasu with his hair mane jutsu to cover his entire body and seal it immediately.? imposible.? nahh..
    Itachi XXXXX also knows how to use clones in any situation. With his hand seal speed he would be even faster in executing his jutsus (clones) than Jiraiya.

------------------------

Tsukuyomi? -> doesn't work at all

Your post - 23 July, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Minato/page19
    if kakashi, a low level than minato overcome the tsukuyomi then minato would definitely overcome that technique.
    Your post - 23 July, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Minato/page20
    Even if itachi can successfully cast his tsukuyomi on minato, (if he can), but then again, itachi would definitely feel the side effect of his tsukuyomi. Itachi can't kill kakashi after he cast his tsukuyomi because of the side effect of that technique, he never killed kakashi not because for some stupid love for the konoha but simply because he can't.. So, minato can kill itachi the moment he feel the side effect of his tsukuyomi. Afterall, itachi was sick.
    The Manga already proved that Itachis hand seal speed, clones, exploding clones (all of them are not Sharingan or Uchiha blood related) were enough to give Hatake Kakashi a run for his money. So he is as strong or stronger than Kakashi. If Kakashi could overcome Tsukuyomi then Itachi XXXXX can do the same. After Itachi XXXXX is hit by Tsukuyomi, he would be able to kill Itachi Uchiha, while he is feeling the side effects.

------------------------

Susanoo? -> lol

Your post - April 01, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Itachi/page27
    minato can counter the amaterasu/susanoo with speed, hiraishin and the S/T barrier. and the uchiha brothers can't used that tech for whole day.
    Your post - April 08, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...ow#post2384912
    Susanoo - jiraiya can counter it with speed
    Itachi showed that he is a very fast too. The Databook also proves it and it has nothing to do with his Kekkei Genkai. So Itachi XXXXX just avoids Susanoo with his speed or his clones (his hand seal speed is fast enough). And without MS Jutsus Itachi XXXXX would be able to use more clones than Itachi Uchiha and also could last longer in battle.

------------------------

Here we are. There is Itachi XXXXX who can avoid all MS Jutsus and Itachi Uchiha who is feeling the side effects of MS and has not much chakra left after the usage of Amaterasu/Tsukuyomi/Susanoo.

Sounds like Itachi XXXXX wins this. Genius!
    • ⁞ Signature by ThePowha ⁞ •

• ⁞ Tower of God Section136th FloorToG Section's Lighthouse ⁞ •

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Montai's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3J
    Nagato has shown to be average without Rin'negan and remotely good only because he has Rin'negan.
    When have we ever seen Nagato battle without the Rin'negan, M3J? You're making an assumption out of nothing. Now, if Nagato "has shown to be average" without Rin'negan, then show me pages/chapters where. Also, since when does being only "remotely" good let you murder a whole village by yourself?

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think M3J's point is that the Rinnegan's hax abilities enable Nagato to take out an entire village. However, remember that Nagato didn't grow up a ninja like Itachi, so it's unfair to judge his abilities without the Rinnegan based on what he could do prior to awakening it. That being said, considering his blinding arrogance and overall lack of combat strategy, I can see why people don't think he's anything special without the Rinnegan.

I mean, apparently the Rinnegan gave him...

6 Element manipulation
    6 Paths of abilities, as well as the ability to control corpses to utilise said abilities.
    The ability to freaking raise the dead?

The Rinnegan is pretty hax. It even sees chakra and barriers and crap.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montai View Post
    When have we ever seen Nagato battle without the Rin'negan, M3J? You're making an assumption out of nothing. Now, if Nagato "has shown to be average" without Rin'negan, then show me pages/chapters where. Also, since when does being only "remotely" good let you murder a whole village by yourself?
    We saw him fight with the Rin'negan, and he was dangerous only because of the Rin'negan's power. What has Nagato shown outside of his Rin'negan? His ability to destroy a village comes from a jutsu that Rin'negan gave him. His battle abilities and whatever strategies he used centered around his Rin'negan and abilities with little to back it up (although Deva had taijutsu ability).

I'm making an assumption based on what we've seen, and we've seen Rin'negan be amazing, not Nagato. I most likely am being unfair towards Nagato, but he hasn't so far shown anything remarkable that wasn't related to his Sharingan.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    We saw him fight with the Rin'negan, and he was dangerous only because of the Rin'negan's power. What has Nagato shown outside of his Rin'negan? His ability to destroy a village comes from a jutsu that Rin'negan gave him. His battle abilities and whatever strategies he used centered around his Rin'negan and abilities with little to back it up (although Deva had taijutsu ability).

I'm making an assumption based on what we've seen, and we've seen Rin'negan be amazing, not Nagato. I most likely am being unfair towards Nagato, but he hasn't so far shown anything remarkable that wasn't related to his Sharingan.
    I am sorry, but I do think this is a rediculous way of looking at it.
    For example what have:
    1/ Haku shown without his ice release?
    2/ Ōnoki shown without his dust release?
    3/ Yamato/Hashirama shown without their mokuton?
    4/ Mei shown without her lava or boil kekkei genkais?
    5/ Kimimaro shown without his bone kekkei genkai?

Kekkei genkais are rare, and massively powerful, so of course people will learn to base their entire fighting style around them. Are you going to claim that none of the above ninja are amazing just because their skills can be directly linked to their kekkei genkais?
    As far as I see it, the only reason why the Sharingan and Byakugan do not really fit this scheme (though the gentle fist is pretty much solely due to the Byakugans powers) is that they don't supply the user with massively overpowered techniques (except for the MS, but that has severe side effects that would negate ones ability to build their entire fighting techniques around it's powers), but just supply the user with an edge in combat.
    Infinite RAGE!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nicholas.Sama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing we need to keep in mind about Nagato is that he trained himself how to use the Rinnegan. He was the only one who had it at the time, so no one should have been able to teach him the techniques. I think that's pretty impressive.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zimbardo View Post
    For example what have:
    Impressive speed for someone of his age, along with making seals with one hand

Quote Quote:
    To be fair, we haven't seen him in a serious fight yet

Quote Quote:
    Hashirama had genjutsu, and we also haven't seen a serious fight from him. Yamato hasn't had a serious fight, but I can't imagine that mokuton alone allowed him to become a respected ANBU member (actually, I guess I could, but he would need decent supplementary abilities, such as speed, taijutsu, etc.)

Quote Quote:
    Again, hasn't been in more than a skirmish with a worn-down Sasuke

Quote Quote:
    Impressive speed and taijutsu. Not to mention his willpower

To be fair, I think the ones that have actually had Nagato-level screen time and fights have actually shown skill outside of their kekkai genkai.
    Quote Quote:
    Kekkei genkais are rare, and massively powerful, so of course people will learn to base their entire fighting style around them. Are you going to claim that none of the above ninja are amazing just because their skills can be directly linked to their kekkei genkais?
    As far as I see it, the only reason why the Sharingan and Byakugan do not really fit this scheme (though the gentle fist is pretty much solely due to the Byakugans powers) is that they don't supply the user with massively overpowered techniques (except for the MS, but that has severe side effects that would negate ones ability to build their entire fighting techniques around it's powers), but just supply the user with an edge in combat.
    I can agree with this to a certain extent. I think that if your kekkai genkai is so hax that you don't need to really learn how to be a ninja, some fans will be less impressed with you. It also helps that we know that Neji's mastery of the Byakugan (for example) is due to both his innate talent and his training. If we had an example of a Rinnegan-user that didn't know all of his abilities (or if we saw how Nagato functioned before activating the 6 paths, etc), these fans would probably be more impressed with Nagato. It hurts that apparently just gaining the Rinnegan gave him mastery of 6 elements though...even Sharingan, with its copying can't give you the ability to use elements you don't possess, IIRC.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas.Sama View Post
    The thing we need to keep in mind about Nagato is that he trained himself how to use the Rinnegan. He was the only one who had it at the time, so no one should have been able to teach him the techniques. I think that's pretty impressive.
    I wonder how much Tobi had to do with that. It didn't seem like he (Tobi) needed any training to use the Rinnegan, and it would also help explain the meeting of Nagato and Tobi.

Edit: It probably also hurts that unlike the Sharingan and Byakugan, which need to be specifically activated to be used, the Rinnegan seems to just be there (unless it's just Nagato having enough chakra to keep it activated at all times)

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

For example what have:
    Haku has shown speed and intelligence without needing ice release, apparently. He even tricked Kakashi into thinking Zabuza was dead and made it look like he killed Sasuke, two things that ice release can't help him with.

We haven't seen Oonoki, Mei, Yamato, or Hashirama in more than one or two fights, if not short skirmishes. We saw Hashirama and Madara run at each other and fight, which implies Hashirama must have been decent in taijutsu that Madara's Sharingan didn't give him a significant advantage.

Kimimaro showed some taijutsu ability, when he fought Lee.

Quote Quote:
    Neji has Byakugan, and most of his jutsu so far were all self-taught. That makes Neji a genius. Hinata has Byakugan, but apparently she isn't that good, because she's not able to pick up jutsu her father teaches her easily.

Outside of kekkei genkai, the users have shown intelligence. Neji and Sasuke are examples, and so is Haku. It wasn't just sole reliance on their kekkei genkai, like "hey, let's spam Mokuton!" It was "how, when, and where can I use this Mokuton so that it benefits me more?" My point is that Nagato has shown to be fodder if it weren't for his Rin'negan, whereas Itachi, Neji, and Sasuke have shown to be intelligent and talented without their respective doujutsu.

The thing is, Rin'negan can enable Nagato to use any jutsu so for all we know, all Nagato had to do was focus chakra or think of a jutsu he wanted to use and use it without really practicing it. Plus, unlike any doujutsu, Rin'negan saved Nagato when he least expected it, kinda like how Kyuubi saved Naruto at unexpected times. Jiraiya taught him jutsu, and as long as Nagato had the fundamentals, he could use Rin'negan easily enough.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I will just start from the top - all spoilered as a lot of text replying to 2 people.
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by zimbardo; August 11, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Infinite RAGE!

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Haku

Well, the Ice release did help him almost kill Sasuke - The ice release was all he has actually ever done (including the ice needles to make Zabuza look dead). Though it is true that he did have a very good knowledge of the human anatomy/pressure points.
    Haku planned to use Naruto to trap Sasuke, who himself was reacting to the senbons (he used senbons, not ice needles). He thought of a way to kill Sasuke or take him out and used it, although it may not have been possible without ice release.

Haku was also able to do pretty well against Sasuke in a taijutsu fight, though, although Sasuke (if I recall correctly) got the better of him.

Quote Quote:
    Kimmimaru

Taijutsu ability that is aided incredibly by his kekkai genkai.

Neji

All of Nagato's rinnengan techniques were self taught. The only teacher that we know that Nagato had was Jiraiya - and he can only teach non kekkai genkai techniques.
    He still had to be good at taijutsu otherwise he'd have been knocked back by Rock Lee. Hell, we don't know how good he'd be if he was healthy.

But Nagato had Jiraiya to teach him the fundamentals. Can you really say Nagato would have been able to teach himself Rin'negan if Jiraiya didn't help teach him? Plus, for all we know Nagato may have found something to help him learn, like a journal from Rikudou Sennin. Otherwise, how would he have known that RIkudou Sennin used Chibaku Tensei?

Quote Quote:
    If any of the characters had been born with the rinnengan instead of their kekkai genkais, then I feel they would also develop cocky personas like Nagato. If you have an ability to blow up a city, make a moon, suck someones soul out, reserect the dead, make an unkillable summon.... it is unlikely that you will fear much. Except for one single team attack with Naruto, all Yamato has done is "spam" mokuton in fights. Should Nagato not have been born with the rinnengan he would probably not have tried to attack a whole city by himself. He can handle himself fine in close combat using his rinnengan, and to say that he would be poor without it is not really fair. As if he has been born with a tool as powerful as the rinnengan he would be stupid not to use it when he can. I hardly think that this consideres him fodder seeing as the only other main things he may need (namely speed, taijutsu, planning) he has in abundance. I count taijutsu as including his abilities used in a taijutsu setting, and everyones plans would be different if they were safely 10 miles away and controlling 6 semi-nuclear puppet ninjas.
    Exactly why Nagato is kind of an idiot in that area: he got too cocky believing his Rin'negan was powerful even after he lost bodies, especially to Konohamaru.

My point is though, that Nagato is nothing without his Rin'negan. I'm not saying he has no right to use Rin'negan or spam it, but he hasn't shown to be good on his own for the most part. Any jutsu he uses, he needs Rin'negan to do it, some exception examples being when he dodged FRS with Deva by jumping over it.

Quote Quote:
    I don't know how much control Kabuto is using over Nagato in his fight, however with just his one body he has shown pretty complex planning also. Realising that he was 1 v 3 (rather than his usual 6 v) he first hid and sneak attacked with an ability to seperate his targets. - targets are now not able to quickly support each other. He then sped (implying great speed - what with the distance that Bee had been knocked with shinra tensai) to one target and quickly removed his chakra (thus removing him from the fight) - now 1 v 2. Realising that another of his targets had great speed he snuck his invisible summon behind the target (therefore trapping it so it can't escape) and proceded to suck the targets soul out - thus quickly removing a 2nd target from the fight - leaving 1 v 1. I can't remember seing many other ninjas in this manga laying out such a well thought out plan that deals adequately with the specific targets that he is fighting so quickly (namely 3 very quick ninjas, with 2 highly skilled taijutsu fighters (3, but Itachi is not so predominantly taijutsu oriented)).
    Could be him, could be Kabuto who planned it, we don't know for sure, nor do we know what his aim was. Nagato may have just been using Shinra Tensei to push the ninjas away and tried to take out Killerbee, but got lariated and used that to his advantage.

Though either way, Nagato did show he was smarter than given credit for in the latest chapters.

Quote Quote:
    Saved him when he was like 8 or something, and had never fought/been trained to fight 2 trained konoha ninjas (and another trained ninja). Also, we have no idea how much practice is required, just that he has the ability should he want to learn (similar to the sharingan copying technique, only that he has access to techniques of every element. Also as I have said above, Jiraiya didn't teach him (or rather couldn't) any Rinnengan techniques - including Shinra Tensai, Basho Tennin, etc.[/SPOILER]
    But Nagato didn't use the Rin'negan, it did something on its own (which is more of an asspull than Sasuke summoning a hawk and whatever else, but no one points this out, funnily enough). He learned to use it or use it better because Jiraiya trained him, although he most likely didn't train Nagato to use Rin'negan. Could be that Rin'negan is mostly a passive ability, Nagato wouldn't need to do anything to know all five elements other than learn it.

But if Jiraiya didn't teach him the fundamentals, like how to use chakra, how to do jutsu, can you really say Nagato could have used his Rin'negan the way he did?

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: The concept of "Genius" in NARUTO

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    Here we go...Itachi XXXXX would still have his intelligence, intellect, hand seal speed, kunai/shuriken skills, element affinities, clones, finger genjutsu, exploding clones. These are all not Sharingan or Uchiha blood related.

Now I am going to show you how badass Itachi XXXXX would be in a fight against Itachi Uchiha by your logic.

------------------------

Amaterasu? -> useless against Itachi XXXXX

Your post - June 22, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...s-Sasuke/page3

Itachi XXXXX also knows how to use clones in any situation. With his hand seal speed he would be even faster in executing his jutsus (clones) than Jiraiya.

------------------------

Tsukuyomi? -> doesn't work at all

Your post - 23 July, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Minato/page19

Your post - 23 July, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Minato/page20

The Manga already proved that Itachis hand seal speed, clones, exploding clones (all of them are not Sharingan or Uchiha blood related) were enough to give Hatake Kakashi a run for his money. So he is as strong or stronger than Kakashi. If Kakashi could overcome Tsukuyomi then Itachi XXXXX can do the same. After Itachi XXXXX is hit by Tsukuyomi, he would be able to kill Itachi Uchiha, while he is feeling the side effects.

------------------------

Susanoo? -> lol

Your post - April 01, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-Itachi/page27

Your post - April 08, 2011 -> http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...ow#post2384912

Itachi showed that he is a very fast too. The Databook also proves it and it has nothing to do with his Kekkei Genkai. So Itachi XXXXX just avoids Susanoo with his speed or his clones (his hand seal speed is fast enough). And without MS Jutsus Itachi XXXXX would be able to use more clones than Itachi Uchiha and also could last longer in battle.

------------------------

Here we are. There is Itachi XXXXX who can avoid all MS Jutsus and Itachi Uchiha who is feeling the side effects of MS and has not much chakra left after the usage of Amaterasu/Tsukuyomi/Susanoo.

Sounds like Itachi XXXXX wins this. Genius!
    Can i answer your post even if i'm not bhasty.? Cuz you know why.? your comment really make me laugh..

How could you know that itachi xxxx has his intelligence, intellect, hand seal speed, kunai/shuriken skills, element affinities, clones, finger genjutsu, and exploding clones?

as you know, the sharingan has the power to copy any technique. Maybe uchiha itachi seen/copy the exploding clones or some of his techniques. And i think his hand seal speed was base from his fighting experience by using his sharingan

ANd i think the finger genjutsu was based from uchiha's sharingan. Afterall, the effect is the same as sharingan's genjutsu.

element affinities? itachi x maybe doesn't have the same element of uchiha itachi.

Kunai/shuriken skills? maybe not/yes. I think itachi was trained by his father in this skills.

And i think this whole topic is kinda useless. BEcause talking away itachi's sharingan is really baseless and i think it's not right.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, he would at least be on Orochimaru's level without a Sharingan. Hell, I'd place him on Minato's level. If he didn't have the Sharingan, he would have an entirely different fighting style. However, he would still be able to cast genjutsu with a finger, he would still be able to make hand signs faster than the eye can see, he would still be a beast with weapons, and he would still be a badass with clones.

Stripping the Sharingan away from his arsenal after he has made it the centerpiece of his fighting style, simply isn't fair. That's like taking snakes away from Orochimaru and saying he's just average without them, or like taking Hiraishin from Minato. It's a cheap shot, frankly.
    I did that only because some unreasonable guys are doing the same to nagato by stripping away his rinnegan, on which he based his fighting style, to downplay his genius. Which is a cheap shot. Frankly.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

This arguement about nagato not showing anything besides rinnegan is a joke. We simply didn't get to see the times when he didn't use it cause it was irrelevant to the manga. The only real way to judge the genius of a person is how good use he can make of his gifts...like neji(genius of hyuuga, cause his great of byakugan), kimimaru, haku. Nagato was brilliant in that respect. Coming up with 7pains is one of the greatest devises any shinobi has come up with. He was able to defeat the likes of jiraya in full fledged battles without even risking himself. His chakra controll is astounding...even better than yamanakas, as said in the manga. And its not only because of rinnegan, cause not all yamanakas are of same calibre despite them all having same secret jutsu, meaning it took oneself to better his ability with chakra...which nagato obviously did. He was able to master jutsus of all five elements. That's incredible. His strategy against konoha was top notch. In the latest chapter he was able to perfectly react to V2 B's lariet, which shows great reflex and speed.
    Last edited by ashher; August 12, 2011 at 01:54 AM.

22. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 42 of 97 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 ... LastLast