Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 21 of 97 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread: The concept of "Genius" in NARUTO

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member niblack89's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The concept of "Genius" in NARUTO

Seems like if your family were great than the children will be even better or around as great.
    Minato & Naruto
    Hatake Sakumo & Kakashi
    Hashirama & Tsunade
    Hyuuga Hizashi & Neji
    Itachi & Sasuke

Also it seems like they strive to be greater than their family, Naruto out of all the hokages always strived to be greater than the 4th, Sasuke strived to be greater than Itachi, Neji strived to go beyond the Hyuuga destiny

I believe good genes are to blame for greatness that's why the next generation always become greater than the last. If Kakashi had a kid he would be greater than Kakashi.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ajith_sakthi's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Genius can be simply defined as insanely successful and in depth knowledge in one field. You can call Einstien a genius in Science, but Gandhi was a genius too, but he was in Peace.
    Naruto - Learned Multiple Kagebunshin from the scroll, copied Seshi renden during Chunnin exam, out of box thinking in fight. Changed the minds of Gaara, Tsunade, Chiyo and recently Pain. Sasuke who is blind with rage was also listening to Naruto when he spoke. Achievements: Controlled his rage after Gaara saving arc and kept Kyubi in control. Created Rasengan, Odoma Rasengan, Rasenshuriken, FRS. Learned Sage mode and never gives up, which is the most important thing for making anything successful.
    Jiraiya - Many people might find it odd. But if you think deeply. All his students are S class Ninjas. Naruto, Yondaime, Pain and Yahiko. He is travelled all over the world and is more compassionate and kind individual and also tried to bring peace in his own way. He is a renowned writer and the person was the first person to visit the Sage Mountain and train there all by himself. A very good teacher who was able to explain concepts to students like Naruto who can understand things only when its put in a simple way. And explaining great concept so that even simple man can understand is a genius.
    Chiyo - She found a jutsu to completely transfer life force to a person who is already dead
    Tsunade - Best Medical Ninja in Naruto verse with numerable live saving techniques. Raw power and good knowledge of jutsus and a tactician. Its her strategy that saved Konoha during the war.
    Neji - Learned all the secret techniques of Hyuuga without anyone teaching him. He might be a Hyuuga but to understand the power he has and trying to utilise it with his own power is really genius.
    Gai - Eventhough this guy looks like an idiot. When it comes to real thing he is very committed and serious. He is a Taijutsu expert, and was able to counter Genjutsu of Itachi when Kakashi who is most skilled at Genjutsu could not.
    My Thoughts on the Final attack against Madara:
    Naruto and Sasuke will do a combo along with their summons to create some 5 elements attack.
    Naruto - Air + Sage Chakra Summon:Frog - Water
    Sasuke - Fire+Thunder+Cursed Seal Power Summon:Snake - Earth

"I love you, not only for what you are, But for what I am when I am with you."
    -Roy Croft

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zimbardo's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why people have such difficulty in accepting that Naruto can be a genius. Sure he is not the most intellectual of people, however that is not necessarily a requisite for genius.
    For example, if you look in the dictionary, there are multiple different definitions for a genius.
    Sure definition 1 deals with intellectual genius
    However definition 2 suits Naruto perfectly. "A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination" + "One who has such a talent or inclination".
    Sure he wasn't good at certain jutsu, however those he did learn were high ranking and he learned them very quickly.
    Kagebunshin learned in less than one evening (not using Kakashi's technique)
    Mastering the Rasengan in just one week - The pinnacle of spatial recomposition, and a feat that even shocks Tsunade. Sure he uses 2 hands rather than one, however thinking out of the box to achieve a complex task is a sign of genius.
    Then we have this.A technique that yet again thinking outside the box to achieve a task previously thought to be impossible.Something that requires incredible amount of skill, or natural talent (another sure sign of genius).This was a feat even the 4th (a man considered a genius) could not do. And it would give rise to a technique that was S rank (or possibly higher).
    Naruto has also shown to be exceptionally gifted at controlling sage chakra (I am still unsure why you don't consider being naturally gifted as being a sign of genius in Naruto but do for other people).
    Naruto has been shown to be a genius tactician. Being able to out think, out play and out perform other people with more experience, higher IQ's (or at least considered more intelligent), more strength/skill/jutsu's on a regular basis through the whole manga. Also being able to change his tactics on the fly when they don't work.
    To be honest if you still refuse to believe that Naruto is a genius, then there is nothing that could be said on this forum/in the manga to convince you.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

People are really creative when it comes to twisting the meaning of 'genius' so that their favorite character can conveniently fit in the category.

Wtf is a 'genius of hardwork'?

It means the person in question is hardworking but not bright. Why? Because if the person really is hardworking AND bright, he would simply be known as a 'genius'.

What's next?

"Genius at making girls cry'?
    Last edited by Ryr; March 24, 2010 at 09:05 AM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryr View Post
    People are really creative when it comes to twisting the meaning of 'genius' so that their favorite character can conveniently fit in the category.

Wtf is a 'genius of hardwork'?

It means the person in question is hardworking but not bright. Why? Because if the person really is hardworking AND bright, he would simply be known as a 'genius'.

What's next?

"Genius at making girls cry'?
    Well, as far as genius of hardwork. Being an athlete and knowing how to do it effectively is really, really difficult. Having the technique he has and the physicality he has is a really hard balance.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member howbigis1gb's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiraiya. Even without the Sharingan, he managed to master a variety of Jutsus. He managed to master Earth, Wind and Fire element. He figured out Pain's secret. And I'm just biased

Naruto. Took sage mode to the next level. Took down Pain immediately after said mastery. Thinks out of the box.

Minato - developed a number of powerful jutsus

Orochimaru - acclaimed genius. Mastery over a number of jutsus

Shikamaru - took down an immortal with his wits

Kakashi - quite a tactician, especially in combat
    Fullmetal Alchemist - you shall be missed. Arakawa; take a bow

Quote Originally Posted by Arceus View Post
    ... I just recognize the incomparable talents of Kubo Tite - KING OF STALLING.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sonia Khan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO
    If we talk about Jutsu wise or the number of Jutsus then
    1. Sandime Hokage
    2. OrochiMaru
    3. Kakashi

If we talk about the knowledge of manipulating/creating the Jutsus then
    I guess only Madara and Minato ( were able to create som great Jutsus )

If we talk about using the techniques in creative manner then
    1. Naruto
    2. Sasuke ( Fight with Itachi is evident of that )
    3. Neji

And if we talk about sheer intellect then simply
    SHIKAMARU

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia Khan View Post
    IMO
    If we talk about the knowledge of manipulating/creating the Jutsus then
    I guess only Madara and Minato ( were able to create som great Jutsus )

And if we talk about sheer intellect then simply
    SHIKAMARU
    I disagree with you not mentioning Kakashi and Itachi. Kakashi did create chidori and upped it into raikiri. He also has understanding of tons of jutsu to be able to copy and use it as well.

And Kakashi and Itachi have proved they were extremely intelligent. We've seen Kakashi figure things out quickly enough, along with Shikamaru. We've seen Itachi's intelligence into play, like when he knew about Madara, found out about Kakashi having MS, and etc. Orochimaru also has come up with tons of jutsu, if just discovered it. Minato also has come up with couple of original jutsu.

I'm just fanboying for KakashItachi though, so don't mind me. ^_^

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm blown away the first two posts didn't even mention Neji. This guy learned some of most high level of his clan's techniques all on his own.

There's not another Hyuuga out there who has been as greatly blessed with their clan's bloodline as Neji has. No matter how smart and impressive Shikamaru is, he could never hope to pose a serious challenge to someone like Neji.

12. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Vaste Lorde's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

who ever says Naruto is not a genius does not truly know the definition of what being a genius truly means.

Everything takes into factor when it comes to being a genius. How I perceive the definition of what being a genius is, " someone who excels at a given task more efficiently and sometimes takes that task to remarkable new heights where other could not or ever achieve".

This I believe is the true definition of what being a genius is. And if you follow this concept, it makes sense because just look at the real world, we have numerous types of geniuses.

Naruto has surpassed his peers not through just the through means of hard work but you must have some sort of talent to achieve this. He achieved what most of his peers had failed or not yet achieved.

In my account, I would say he is late genius like Einstein. Someone who is only begging to realize his true potential. If i recall his father was mentioned to be a genius.

Keep in mind that despite the fact that you are born a genius, you may never reach your potential genius level if the right opportunities/interactions does not take place in your life.

This is what I think most likely happened to naruto, he was raised without parents and everyone hating him. If you know the definition of what being a genius is, then you certainly know that emotions play the largest part in achieving your genius status. You must have someone to think of to motivate you in your goals. Naruto had none, Sasuke had Itachi and his whole clan to avenge. As you can see, as soon as Naruto had enough emotional strength to care for others( Sasuke) he started reveling his potential.

This is precisely why naruto has such an incremented growth ever since he graduated and had companions to care and protect. He wanted to prove to people that he was not just nobody, he wanted acceptance and he knew the only way at that time to achieve that is if he achieved something that others could not. That would the title of hokage. He also mentioned he wanted to be the greatest hokage there ever was which is just the motivation he needed.
    Last edited by Vaste Lorde; May 03, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of pure intelligence and mental capacity the title belongs to Itachi. The guy could make a cat bark if he wanted to, and do so without his Sharingan.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

15. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vaste Lorde View Post
    who ever says Naruto is not a genius does not truly know the definition of what being a genius truly means.

Everything takes into factor when it comes to being a genius. How I perceive the definition of what being a genius is, " someone who excels at a given task more efficiently and sometimes takes that task to remarkable new heights where other could not or ever achieve".
    Question : what is that "given task" that Naruto excels at??? Lee is a genius because he is "made" for Taijutsu, to the point that all his other talents are dampened out. Itachi and Kakashi are geniuses because they were quick to learn new techniques. Kabuto is a genius because he masters everything he wants to learn (master medic, master spy, master necromancer. Tell me someone is more complete than this guy). Shikamaru is a genius because he can come up with a plan for every situation and is able to process all the possibilities for a given event in seconds. But Naruto, how is he a genius? He doesn't have the imagination to create new techniques or enhance the ones he already has. He doesn't seek knowledge on his own, he always need someone to tell him about things.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    He doesn't have the imagination to create new techniques or enhance the ones he already has
    So tell me this, if naruto is this vastly dependent person, why has he surpassed his colleagues? Why is that he is so respected now and not before. Would you say his achievements where achieved because he had the best of people look after him and train him? I think the concept of what it means to be a genius is misinterpreted by many.

I want you to define what it means to be a genius and state your opinion and give some precise back ups.
    Last edited by M3J; May 04, 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member scandalous''s Avatar
    Country
    Suriname
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vaste Lorde View Post
    So tell me this, if naruto is this vastly dependent person, why has he surpassed his colleagues? Why is that he is so respected now and not before. Would you say his achievements where achieved because he had the best of people look after him and train him? I think the concept of what it means to be a genius is misinterpreted by many.

I want you to define what it means to be a genius and state your opinion and give some precise back ups.
    I kinda have to agree with the other guy. Naruto is a genius in his own way, but not when it comes to inventing techniques. Someone has to tell him to learn something and he finds a way to do it. Otherwise he would never have come up with it on his own. He's a quick learner once he understands the basics I'll give him that.

That's where he's genius side lies. He finds an unorthodox way to use a technique and apply it. Jiraiya, kakashi and yondaime can use rasengan with one hand. Naruto had to find an unorthodox way to use the technique. When kakashi tried to make a raiton-rasengan he tried to do so with one hand. Yondaime probably tried the same thing with his element. Naruto again found an unorthodox way to create a fuuton rasengan in a way only he could do it. Same goes for sage mode.

Naruto would've never come up with the rasengan let alone fuuton rasengan if it weren't for kakashi and yondaime. He can take a technique where no shinobi has gone before with it. But he can't come up with the basics. Something yondaime, orochimaru, the 2nd hokage and rikodou sennin could do.

Finding unorthodox ways to make a technique better in a way only naruto can is where his genius can be seen.
    Last edited by M3J; May 04, 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Naruto would've never come up with the rasengan let alone fuuton rasengan if it weren't for kakashi and yondaime. He can take a technique where no shinobi has gone before with it. But he can't come up with the basics. Something yondaime, orochimaru, the 2nd hokage and rikodou sennin could do.

Finding unorthodox ways to make a technique better in a way only naruto can is where his genius can be seen.
    Let me ask you this then.

Say You have a genius who had developed a jutsu that is powerful. He then had a student who wants to learn that same Justu. Now in order to perform this jutsu, he must understand the concepts. And so he does and he takes it to even further heights.

Now the master's jutsu is weaker than his student. Would you still say that the masters jutsu is better?

Doesn't it take another genius to take that same concept and take it to even higher levels?

Like i said, a genius can be defined in many ways.

And since narutos' world clearly deals with how powerful a ninja becomes through skills and talent then Naruto is certainly at the top. And this is what being a genius is. If Naruto is not a genius, then I certainly agree upon that he can never become as strong as the geniuses we've already encountered.

The idea to never give up and have guts by very means define what a genius is. Kishi just presented Naruto in an awkward manner. But his concept of genius doesn't really make sense. Because this manga is clearly for the younger audience and not too much emphasis should be placed on who is a genius or what not. Everyone has their ways of showing skills and talent in their world.

In truth, Naruto by the end of the series will become the ultimate ninja concluding that he truly is the ultimate genius of his world. That is entirely because he will become the best.
    Last edited by Vaste Lorde; May 03, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

New Reply
Page 21 of 97 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast