Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Gantz Rewards and Weapons

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BrazilianGantzer's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Gantz Rewards and Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by georgemarvin View Post

PART 1

It won't even be confirmed if Reika clears and chooses the gun; she has cleared twice, already. If she received one, it could be anything from the 100 to 300 point reward. It also won't be confirmed if Katou, Kei, Old Man, etc. who have each cleared once receive one; it will be the second clear for any of them. For that matter, it won't even be confirmed if Cherry, Takeshi, Kill Bill or HS clears for the first time and receives an H-gun as a reward. It would require several people receiving the same weapon consistently to confirm that my theory is incorrect.

PART 2

I thought I posted my theory on this thread, but if I put it in another thread, I will look for it and repost it or move it here. This is the best place for it. My theory is basically that the rewards are randomly generated, based on the number of clears. There will be like a half-dozen possible rewards in each tier. Sort of like some video games. For about the first 3 times you clear, you will get one of the items from a menu that includes the H-gun, Y-gun, sword, bike, controller, etc.; when you choose the weapon the 4th-6th time, the rewards change to the gorilla suit, flying bike, and some other unknown items. You receive items from that menu until about the 7th time you clear, when the menu changes again. All the items from then on out are the uber-super-duper mega stuff like the gundam. That would insure that everybody wouldn't get the same stuff, and some of it would be useless to the player, who would then either put it in the armory room or give it to another player. For instance, you might have bad luck and get the sword three times in a row. Or bikes. Or H-guns. Or gundams, for that matter.
    About PART 1: I kinda said something like that previousely; about we not knowing whether Reika would get an H-Gun on her 3rd clear because she already got 100 points twice.

About PART 2: I doubt the rewards are randomly generated because we'd probably already have seen more flying bikes, mecha's, or G-suits... Although this IS Gantz, right? We can't discard any theories practically.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz Rewards and Weapons

The sheer number of H-guns suggests that the reward system is not random.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked up an old post where I posted my theory about how the reward system works. Here's the whole theory.

Let's look at it from the author's viewpoint. He will probably want to introduce another weapon or two sometime, and won't want it to be so hard to get that it will take a dozen clears to get. Reika, Kei, Nishi and Kaze should be able to get something useful before the end of the series. The easiest way for that to happen would be if there are several weapons availiable at each tier.

When you choose the weapon the first time, you get access to the door to the left of the ball, the one that Izumi left open for Kei, and Gantz puts one random weapon in the room for you, from the following list:
    1. Sword
    2. Bike
    3. H-gun
    4. Unknown
    5. unknown

The rewards wouldn't exactly to be randomly generated; it would be sort of like WOW or other games: There would be 1 or 2 that would be common, and others that are rare. Plus, Gantz might just mess with them for the heck of it.

Once Gantz has placed the reward in the room, it's up to you to take care of it. If you give it away or lose it, it becomes the property of whoever that picks it up. If you get tired of playing and leave, your leftover weapons will become the property of whoever that gets access to the room next. That would explain all of the swords scattered across the floor of the armory room, and the sheer number of H-guns on the Osaka team. Unused rewards would just accumulate in the room as people died or left.

The menu repeats the first three times you clear, maybe just when you have chosen the weapon.

The fourth time you choose the powerful weapon, you get access to the room by the kitchen that Sei tried to open. Gantz will place one random weapon in the room from the following menu:
    1. Gorilla suit
    2. Flying bike
    3. Unknown
    4. Unknown
    5. Unknown

The 7th time that you choose the weapon, Gantz gives you access to the veranda, and you get one random weapon from the following menu:
    1. Gundam
    2. Y-gun (LOL, it's a joke, don't shoot me. But it would be right in tune with Gantz to put in a "booby prize" or two)
    3. unknown
    4. unknown
    5. unknown

On your 10th clear, you get access to another room that has every weapon in the Gantz arsenal in it, as well as one super-duper extra special weapon.

If it works that way, it will mean that there are probably still some unknown weapons, even among the 100 point rewards. It will also mean that there will probably be a lot of junk, including some new weapons and armor, that's accumulated over the years in the other rooms that they can't open yet. There could even be a whole rack of gorilla suits and flying bikes left over from some uber team in the past.

I would guess that the reason why Knob only had the H-gun and sword would be that he had to revive his girlfriend at least once. Remember that Anzu thought Katou was going to revive his, when he mentioned reviving somebody. People think that the entire Osaka team were a bunch of lowlifes, but they would really be about like the Tokyo team: A bunch of various individuals who Gantz picks up once or twice a month for a mission.
    Last edited by georgemarvin; April 16, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member teh100pointer's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you made it too complicated, but i can believe this:

Quote Quote:
    Once Gantz has placed the reward in the room, it's up to you to take care of it. If you give it away or lose it, it becomes the property of whoever that picks it up. If you get tired of playing and leave, your leftover weapons will become the property of whoever that gets access to the room next. That would explain all of the swords scattered across the floor of the armory room, and the sheer number of H-guns on the Osaka team. Unused rewards would just accumulate in the room as people died or left.
    cat > katou.cfg
    bind 1 say Kei-chan!
    ^Z

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another explanation for the swords. They are standard issue. The rewards are successive. The H-gun is always the first reward. Come on, what are the odds that Nishi stumbled upon a second H-gun? What are the odds that nearly everyone has a H-gun in Italy?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's look at it from the author's viewpoint. He will probably want to introduce another weapon or two sometime, and won't want it to be so hard to get that it will take a dozen clears to get. Reika, Kei, Nishi and Kaze should be able to get something useful before the end of the series.
    You have no idea when Oku is going to end the series. It could happen in four issues, it could happen in a year, or it could happen in ten years (personally, I'm leaning towards less than a year). If he intends to end it soon, there's no reason to have the Tokyo hunters access higher rewards. If they aren't transferred to another ball, this access is precluded. The g-suit and mecha could have been the last bits of over-the-top fan service, regarding weapons, that Oku wanted to give fans before the conclusion.

Based on the fact that Italy was a mission with team selection being on the international level, it's probable that most, if not all, of the g-suiters were eliminated as a result of the Italy mission. The sheer number of bfg and g-suiter teams in the mission was ridiculous. Didn't it seem awfully conspicuous to you? Most of the teams selected were probably the best available at the time. Regardless of whether or not this was an effort to weed out the most effective players or an earnest attempt to counter a huge threat, it's probable that the lower tier hunters are the only ones left. This makes it less likely that anyone from Tokyo will be getting a g-suit. As much as you or I want Oku to expand even further beyond the basic 100 point menu, I doubt he will.

it would be sort of like WOW
    I don't like where this is going. XD

No, my limited warranty theory counters what this implicates: gantz restocks higher rewards for whomever was last/is in possession of it. While you can take a weapon from another person, you can only keep this "copy" until you break it. Meanwhile, the original owner would probably get a replacement when he's brought back to the room.

In addition, if gantz were to have a somewhat leveling method of distributing these weapons, after they're stolen or left without an owner, why not let everyone "share" everything? Points are distributed to the person who deals the killing blow, not to everyone who contributes to the kill. Such a policy would suggest a similar attitude towards the restocking of higher rewards. While one could perhaps keep a stolen bfg for awhile, in gantz's eyes, this person would not be the "beneficiary" of his policies because this person did not make the most decisive act in the ultimate acquisition of the weapon. The hunter who chose the bfg as his reward did.

Again, you fail to account for Knob.

p.s. I wonder what clear count the current Kurono is even considered to have by gantz. Even though he chose the first option, the beneficiary of it was the one, whose corpse location is unknown, killed by the vamps. Meanwhile, the Izumi that came back was the "same" one who had been released. However, he was able to "fully" experience his freedom before being given a gantz-related out. This didn't apply for Kurono. Gantz gave the wiped version no ultimately beneficial clauses like he did Izumi. He may not be able to do so, but Kurono should totally ask for a reward refund if gantz comes back online (if gantz says no, time for some skull f'ing). Then, he'll have enough for the 200 point menu, which Oku will never show us. XD
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
    You have no idea when Oku is going to end the series. It could happen in four issues, it could happen in a year, or it could happen in ten years (personally, I'm leaning towards less than a year).
    Actually I think we'll be able to see the ending coming when they start making another anime for it, lol. They did that with Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist, and maybe others. Probably with Death Note and Monster, too, although I really have no idea.

You could probably get Gantz to give whatever the hell you want by threatening to piss in his ear or something. I wonder why no one has tried that.
    Last edited by Damura; April 17, 2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    You could probably get Gantz to give whatever the hell you want by threatening to piss in his ear or something. I wonder why no one has tried that.
    HAHHAHA! I actually think that might work! Maybe not get whatever you want; but a shitload more of information...

This actually made me wonder how Nishi learned so many "Key-words" to ask Gantz...if it wasn't for him, for example, I doubt they would have asked Gantz to show everyone who died there...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

He probably learned them from other players online, Someone one day must have brought a dictionary into the gantz room and just tried every word to see what he/she got.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member roxas_strife2's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz technology

What is it you think inspired the technology? And what are your opinions on it in general? I'm interested to see what everyone thinks. Maybe we'll understand more if we contribute all our thoughts on the Gantz tech as it is what makes Gantz the great science fiction series it is. I'm eager to know. ^ ^

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz technology

I'd say the idea of forcing people to play a "game" where they're forced to fight for their survival comes from "human experiment" type horror films like "The Cube" or the "Saw" series.

The weapons...hmm I'd say they come from the idea of futuristic energy weapons. Although I have no thoughts as to where the time lag idea came from.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't compare Cube and Saw; doing so is disrespectful.
    Last edited by kaliayev; April 23, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianGantzer View Post
    I'd say the idea of forcing people to play a "game" where they're forced to fight for their survival comes from "human experiment" type horror films like "The Cube" or the "Saw" series.

The weapons...hmm I'd say they come from the idea of futuristic energy weapons. Although I have no thoughts as to where the time lag idea came from.
    I don't really think of it as an experiment. I mean, it wouldn't have such set rules if it didn't have any idea what to expect from it's participants. I think Gantz has a great psychological setup for getting people involved.

The only confirmed energy weapon is the X-Gun/Rifle, although the H-Gun may be also. The X-Gun compresses energy, but there's still a lot they could explain about this. I think it compresses the energy on the target instead of firing it from the gun itself to ensure it will hit the target without fail, which also explains why it doesn't have to be directed at the target to hit it, and why there isn't anything that prevents it from hitting its mark. The way I figure it is that it takes five seconds for it to generate the compressed energy on the target. Unfortunately, none of the descriptions I have seen detailed what type of energy it uses, and I can't think of any with qualities like that in particular.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
    Don't compare Cube and Saw; doing so is disrespectful.
    What do you mean, dude? I think they're both terrible films, but they have the same basic idea: some sicko doing experiments on humans to see how far they will go.

And I'm not comparing them. I'm just saying that they're both horror films about experiments on people.

@roxas_strife2: I don't look at Gantz as being an experiment either: I just think that the reactions of the participants can be seen as similar.
    Last edited by BrazilianGantzer; April 24, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not willing to backtrack through this thread to see if this has already been posted, but I just want to point out some trends among the Gantz guns. Other than the Y-Gun, the X-Gun/Rifle and H-Gun have limitless ammo because they use energy itself. They all three have a lock-on system for guided shots. The bigger guns(X-Rifle, H-Gun) have scopes. There may also be an adjustable potency level for the H-Gun like there is for the X-Gun as well.

I point out these trends because this may help us foresee what kind of weapons we may see in the future if we see them at all. Has anybody else on here tried to conceive their own Gantz equipment idea or am I alone in that? xD

I really want to see those three 2nd option weapons that we didn't get to see in the Osaka mission, and another other equipment for that matter. I wonder if there is a limit to how many times can pick the 2nd option and get something new, or if they reach that limit they get something special. I would think they would be more rewarded for their continued involvement in Gantz despite their several chances to leave, but that's all just conjecture.

New Reply
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast