Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The NFL Thread

Interestingly, in the last five Ravens-Steelers games at Hines Field, they've all been decided by three points, with the Ravens winning the last three and then Steelers winning the two before that.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    You keep on believing that. Were you watching him play today? A bunch of times he wasn't even close to receivers, regardless of the amount of talent around him.

Of course special teams count, but the success of your special teams unit often papers over the cracks. The reality is that offensively, the Ravens put up a pair of FGs and it's not the first game that the Ravens have struggled offensively in this year. Apart from the Patriots game and one other game, the Ravens have not really been very successful offensively and while they've looked at least decent defensively, they haven't always faced good offensives. A win is a win, and nothing takes away from that, as the 07 Pats team may have been one of the best teams in history, but in the ultimate game, they didn't get it done. The Ravens have played well enough this season to get the No. 2 seed, and they'd have to lose twice in order to lose that, but you need to be able to put up more than 13-17 points a game on a regular basis.

As a Ravens fan, what would you be saying about this game if the Ravens managed two FGs and lost? Of course special teams count, but you can't rely on them to make up for a struggling offense.
    Sorry, your critique of him amounts to just being a Tom Brady-spoiled Pats fan. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but the guy has barely even played 2.5 NFL seasons worth of games and has been surrounded by mediocrity for most of them. No consistency in coaching either. The successful NFL QBs have that. Are people sticking a fork in Cam Newton because he's played crummy this year? No. Bradford has played 10 more games than him at this point in his career. You're exaggerating in my opinion.

We just played the NFL's best defense in probably the best divisional match-up going in the NFL. A win is a win in divisonal games and that's the ONLY thing that matters when playing the Steelers. It's always close and it's always ugly. We're the walking wounded on top of that. This is the first time in Harbaugh's tenure that we've had as many key injuries as we do now.

And I have no idea what you're trying to imply with the 13-17 points thing. It's just incorrect. We've failed to score less than 20 points three times this year and we still won two of those games. We're fourth in the league in points per game and have been scoring points at a level never seen before from the Ravens. We just broke our single-game scoring record last week against the Raiders. It's because of this we've been able to withstand our defense taking a step back in most categories, but we're still the best Red Zone defense in the league. So it's very much bend but don't break some weeks.

What is this "what if" scenario man? It has no basis in reality, we scored what we scored. I never said good special teams makes up for any and every shortcoming, but to sort of discount it like you have is silly and you're just flat-out wrong about our offense. A TD is a TD.

I'm not wearing rose-tinted glasses. There's something about this team that is underwhelming. I don't know if it's hurt pride from watching teams just run all over out defense some weeks or what. I still think our game and time management is suspect, as well as the offensive play calling. But we're 8-2, only two teams have better records than us. We have some tough games coming up for sure though.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Sorry, your critique of him amounts to just being a Tom Brady-spoiled Pats fan. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but the guy has barely even played 2.5 NFL seasons worth of games and has been surrounded by mediocrity for most of them. No consistency in coaching either. The successful NFL QBs have that. Are people sticking a fork in Cam Newton because he's played crummy this year? No. Bradford has played 10 more games than him at this point in his career. You're exaggerating in my opinion.
    I will grant that the fact that we've had one of the best QBs in NFL history as our QB for the majority of the time that I've been a Pats fan has colored my view of things. The majority of weeks, I get to see a great offensive performances, something which a lot of teams can't expect. Look, I've seen more than I've ever wanted to of Sam Bradford, and I'm still not convinced. Until he does something noteworthy as a QB, I'm never going to think he's anything more than mediocre. Cam Newton has taken a step back this year, but the sophomore slump often occurs, so I'm not throwing him under the bus for that, but I did expect more out of this season than he's shown. In fact, with a weakened NFC this year, I thought that the Panthers could nab the second wildcard spot, not possibly be a 4-12 team. I thought 7-9 was the minimum that we'd see out of the Panthers this season.

We just played the NFL's best defense in probably the best divisional match-up going in the NFL. A win is a win in divisonal games and that's the ONLY thing that matters when playing the Steelers. It's always close and it's always ugly. We're the walking wounded on top of that. This is the first time in Harbaugh's tenure that we've had as many key injuries as we do now.
    I stated that a win is a win.

And I have no idea what you're trying to imply with the 13-17 points thing. It's just incorrect. We've failed to score less than 20 points three times this year and we still won two of those games. We're fourth in the league in points per game and have been scoring points at a level never seen before from the Ravens. We just broke our single-game scoring record last week against the Raiders. It's because of this we've been able to withstand our defense taking a step back in most categories, but we're still the best Red Zone defense in the league. So it's very much bend but don't break some weeks.
    Perhaps my view has been colored by the fact that some of the bigger games have resulted in lesser point totals for the Ravens. The Chiefs game two weeks ago was shocking, although it was a Baltimore win. I know that the Ravens broke their single game scoring record last week, but that boosts your point total for the season and perhaps makes you look better than you are.

That "bend but don't break" thing is what was discussed in terms of the Pats defense the last two or three seasons, which isn't a positive thing.

What is this "what if" scenario man? It has no basis in reality, we scored what we scored. I never said good special teams makes up for any and every shortcoming, but to sort of discount it like you have is silly and you're just flat-out wrong about our offense. A TD is a TD.

I'm not wearing rose-tinted glasses. There's something about this team that is underwhelming. I don't know if it's hurt pride from watching teams just run all over out defense some weeks or what. I still think our game and time management is suspect, as well as the offensive play calling. But we're 8-2, only two teams have better records than us. We have some tough games coming up for sure though.
    You always have to look at hypothetical situations. We nearly found ways to lose games to the Jets and the Bills, and we found ways to lose to the Seahawks and the Cardinals.

The problem I'm discussing is the games against the Steelers and the Chiefs where things could've so easily gone wrong. A TD is a TD, but not scoring an offensive TD is a problem. Of course, you don't have to always play well offensively if your defense or ST gets it done, but come playoff time, this may not get it done. I fear this Ravens team a lot less than the Ravens teams of the last three seasons.

The Texans, a team who got wrecked by a passing giant in the Packers, ended up decimating the Ravens this season. It's not just how teams can run all over the Ravens at times, it's that putting too much pressure on Flacco isn't a great idea in my opinion.

At this point, I don't see any AFC team winning the SB, as all three contenders, the Texans, Ravens, and Pats all have problems. Perhaps the Packers will find a way to win another SB or something.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

"Mediocre" <--- well at least that's a step in the right direction and much more reasonable than Bradford being awful. His play has been mediocre for the most part. But there's potential there in my opinion. Upside has a lot to do with what NFL player keeps a job in the NFL and who doesn't, but of course this only lasts so long. But I don't believe he's had a fair shot as the situation in St.Louis is far from ideal.

Yeah, the Chief game was a dud for sure. I don't know what to chalk that up to, but it counts as much as scoring 50 points and decimating your opponent in the long run. The Raiders game booster our average for sure, but we dropped 44 on the Bengals and scored in the 20s-30s for all other games that weren't mentioned.

I can only deal in the hypothetical so much. You can only have SO much momentum in the NFL, you play once and week and that's it. Every game is completely new and different. I understand what you're saying though, I can't say that teams shouldn't "fear" the Ravens, but there is something odd about them.

Whether it's too much pressure on Flacco, I don't know if I've bought into that. He's shown himself capable of coming up big when needed and his statistics aren't showing that. He's set to set personal bests in a few categories. I still think teams fear Rice more than him though.

I think the Texans could beat anyone in the league on any given day. They're the best team in the NFL right now.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not overly interested in discussing Sam Bradford or the 49ers right now, but I'm sure we'll get back to them next week after their respective games.

How about those 49ers? They finally got the D-line really working tonight and they crushed Jason Campbell.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Ed Reed and Ravens got the shaft from Goodell this week.

Suspended for a week and fined a game check of $423,529. I mean, it was an illegal hit no doubt about it but come on...
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Wow, Ed Reed and Ravens got the shaft from Goodell this week.

Suspended for a week and fined a game check of $423,529. I mean, it was an illegal hit no doubt about it but come on...
    Mmm yeah, I'm biased but I don't get it. It was helmet to helmet, but I don't think he was leading with it and just ended up smacking heads together.

Fining happens all the time, but was that hit worth a suspension? I guess he has a lot more illegal hits than what he's been flagged for, but when I think of Ed Reed at this point in his career I don't think of a BIG HITTER. When he was younger, and before he had his neck and shoulder "issues" he was your typical, hard-hitting DB that could play both Safety positions as well as a bit of CB but right now he's not really more than Free Safety.

Whatever, I don't get it. It certainly hurts our defensive backfield depth even more with the injuries we already have though.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I did think it was a bit harsh, but fortunately for you guys, Ed Reed's not out for the second Steelers game, only the lame team that you guys play in between.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

I did think it was a bit harsh, but fortunately for you guys, Ed Reed's not out for the second Steelers game, only the lame team that you guys play in between.
    Yeah, but I still fear the passing game of the Chargers more than the Steelers. Especially on the road.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think very little of Philip Rivers at this point in his career. I've always thought that he's overrated, but he's been going more and more downhill lately. He's still probably better than Sam Bradford, but that only lies in the "mediocre" realm, so...Admittedly, Rivers is a better QB than Charlie Batch, but I wouldn't be very worried about Rivers lighting you guys up if I were you.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I think very little of Philip Rivers at this point in his career. I've always thought that he's overrated, but he's been going more and more downhill lately. He's still probably better than Sam Bradford, but that only lies in the "mediocre" realm, so...Admittedly, Rivers is a better QB than Charlie Batch, but I wouldn't be very worried about Rivers lighting you guys up if I were you.
    The last time we went out and played there we won, but it was a very close game. It's not the same team though.

Phillip Rivers can drop 400 yards on any given day. That team is soft, and while Norv Turner is NOT Head Coach material in my opinion, they were this way before he coached there either.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN's saying right now that Ed Reed was punished for cumulative hits in 2010, 2011, and 2012. There was a hit on Brees, a hit on Deion Branch, and then last night's hit.

I think that the suspension was quite harsh, although I do think Reed's escaped punishment at times in the past.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

The last time we went out and played there we won, but it was a very close game. It's not the same team though.

Phillip Rivers can drop 400 yards on any given day. That team is soft, and while Norv Turner is NOT Head Coach material in my opinion, they were this way before he coached there either.
    I'm not saying that Philip Rivers can't score or can't have good days, but he's not that consistent, and I don't see the Chargers as a threat. Admittedly, I'm looking at SD from the point of view of a Pats fan and we've always liked facing Rivers, and I don't believe that we've ever lost to him.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN's saying right now that Ed Reed was punished for cumulative hits in 2010, 2011, and 2012. There was a hit on Brees, a hit on Deion Branch, and then last night's hit.

I think that the suspension was quite harsh, although I do think Reed's escaped punishment at times in the past.

I'm not saying that Philip Rivers can't score or can't have good days, but he's not that consistent, and I don't see the Chargers as a threat. Admittedly, I'm looking at SD from the point of view of a Pats fan and we've always liked facing Rivers, and I don't believe that we've ever lost to him.
    Fair enough. I still don't see it.

Escaped punishment? He's been fined like every other person in the league.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess he has a lot more illegal hits than what he's been flagged for, but when I think of Ed Reed at this point in his career I don't think of a BIG HITTER.
    Gary, you yourself said that; I was basically agreeing with that statement.

I think Reed's been hard done by here, but shit happens. I guess you could be happy that Goodell didn't go crazy and slap like three games on Reed. We still don't yet know what happened with the whole Saints' bounty program and after the NFL claiming to have all of those pages of documents, not one of them actually said that the guys were guilty. Goodell doesn't have a history of being fair or nice to players.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I said "I guess" as in I'm supposing there were hits he wasn't flagged for. People up in NYC watching game film and picking out who gets fined each week.

New Reply
Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast