Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Thread

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The NFL Thread

Suggs absence would be more felt in pass defense rather than run defense. Jarret Johnson going to the Chargers in the offseason has a bigger impact on the run defense as that edge defender. Kruger or Upshaw will have to step up, we'll see.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not expecting too much from the Redskins this year, but RGIII (and Andrew Luck too) actually looked good during preseason. Good pocket presence, handles the rush well, doesn't panic, moves well in the pocket, and has good accuracy. He can hold the ball to long at times and needs work on deep accuracy, but overall he looks like the real deal. At least during preseason Luck, RGIII, and Russel Wilson look visibly better than the rest of 2012 first round QB class (Weeden and Tannehill). We shall see how that translates to the regular season.
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Playoff picks? I'll go first !

AFC picks:

North- Baltimore Ravens
    South- Houston Texans
    East- NE Patriots
    West- Denver Broncos
    Wild card- Chargers, Steelers

NFC picks:

North- Detroit Lions
    South- Carolina Panthers
    West- Cowboys
    East- 49ers
    Wild Card- (man this tough) but uh the Packers, Bears

I don't think Vick will stay healthy thus the eagles don't make it, the giants are the champs but inconsistency in the regular season plagues them, saints will be hurt without defensive starters and head coach, and the falcons ain't ready.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

AFC

North - Baltimore Ravens
    South - Houston Texans
    East - New England Patriots
    West - Oakland Raiders

Wildcard - Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos

NFC

North - Green Bay Packers
    South - New Orleans Saints
    East - New York Giants
    West - SF 49ers

Wildcard - Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

AFC

North - Pittsburgh Steelers
    South - Houston Texans
    East - New England Patriots
    West - Oakland Raiders

Wildcard - Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos

NFC

North - Green Bay Packers
    South - Atlanta Falcons
    East - New York Giants
    West - SF 49ers

Wildcard - Detroit Lions, Carolina Panthers

I think that the Steelers get past the Ravens this year in the AFC North because the defense took some hits, such as with Suggs' injury. I don't want to give the second wild card to the Broncos, but I can't really see any other team getting it.

I don't believe in Jay Cutler at all, and I think that both the Packers and the Lions are better than the Bears.

As to my NFC South pick, well, I just think that there will be some big problems in Saints land and even with Brees, there are going to be some problems. I think where we'll notice the absence of Sean Payton and Jonathan Vilma will be most apparent in important divisional road games, such as at Atlanta and at Carolina, and possibly at Tampa Bay. Plus, I think that they'll slip a few games in the Super Dome. I know that I'm taking a big risk by giving the second wild card spot to the Panthers, but I liked what I saw out of Cam Newton. He doesn't make bad runs like Vick or anything and he can throw. Plus, the Panthers became better this year, whereas the Saints got worse and the Falcons are always up and down. It'll be close. I could see both the Panthers and the Saints being 9-7 or 10-6, but the Panthers get the second wild card on some tiebreaker. In terms of giving the division to the Falcons, I think that this is Matt Ryan's chance to step up and perform, because he's probably not going to get that many chances with Brees in his division. I'm not a huge believer in Matt Ryan, because I think that his head coach makes bad decisions at times, such as going for it against the Saints last year, and that while he doesn't throw that many picks, they're usually really untimely. I know, the way I described the Falcons isn't as a team that I really believe in, but with the Saints' problems, I'm just going to go with it.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; August 28, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Packers certainly are better than the Bears, and while Stafford is better than Cutler, the Bears as a team are better than the Lions. The Lions have no running game and a shakey secondary. Cutler is vastly underrated. Martz shitty offense forced him to stay in the pocket and hold the ball too long, when his real strength is throwing on the move. Tice is a good offensive coordinator (but a crap head coach). Martz was legendary for horrible blocking schemes, going back to his days as Ram's head coach. Tice is a line coach, his blocking schemes will be a vast improvement. Cutler was playing great ball last year, before his injury. He should be even better this year.

For novelty purposes only, preseason predictions are fools gold :

AFC:
    • East: Patriots
    • South: Texans
    • West: Broncos
    • North: Ravens
    • Wild Card: Chiefs, Steelers
    NFC:
    • East: Giants
    • South: Carolina
    • North: Packers
    • West: Seattle
    • Wildcard: Bears, Eagles
    My predictions are subject to change based on actually seeing teams play. My picks are based on nothing more than rosters and feels. My NFC South prediction is completely arbitrary. A new team wins the division every year. Carolina should improve in Cam's second year, and they get back defensive players lost to injury last year. Every year at least one team has a four game swing, Carolina seems as good a candidate to improve by four games as I can think of. San Fransisco is my candidate to lose four more games in 2012 than they did in 2011. Most of their success was based on winning close games and controlling the clock. In any given game they were a bad break away from losing. They won't have the same luck this year.
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 28, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

You're seriously kicking the Saints out of contention because of Jonathan Vilma?

He's a good player sure, but he's not enough to put a team on his back. Just look how awful their defense was last year. Plus MLBs don't have the impact like they used to.

The Saints having success this year, despite Sean Payton not being there will go a long way to dispel the out and out myth of Head Coaches being responsible for the success of a team with an elite QB. I'm looking at you Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, Mike McCarthy. Plus Sean Payton is a phony egomaniac so I have no problem seeing this happen.

And there's no doubt that Suggs being out AT LEAST until week 6 will have an effect on the Ravens. There's no denying it. I do like what I've seen from the offense this preseason though. Our secondary has gone from a glaring weak spot on our team into an obvious strength in the span of two years with the emergence of Lardarius Webb, Cary Williams, Jimmy Smith and the addition of Bernard Pollard. It's funny how much Pollard was bashed as a garbage player when he was with the Texans. Having competent teammates goes a long way. I'm not sure who steps up in the absence of Suggs and Jarrett Johnson. Paul Kruger is already a compete player, but he's neither of those guys. Courtney Upshaw is a rookie and hasn't looked terribly impressive yet but again...rookie. Some dark horses might be Ellerbe or McClellan.

I also think Jay Cutler is suspect at times, but just look at that team on paper. Couple that defense with an offense that already has he and Matt Forte...plus Michael Bush and now Brandon Marshall. Barring injury, they'll be a contender. The Black and Blue Division looks horrifying...especially if you're a Vikings fan.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not Johnathan Vilma's absence that bothers me so much as Joe Vitt's presence. I refuse to believe he can competently coach a contender. I think the Saints go 9-7 and are the last team out.

I think the Ravens will weather the loss of Suggs, go on a run once he is back, and again lose in the AFC championship game. I do agree that NFC North should be a great division, except for the Vikings. Cutler certainly was suspect in the past, but he has developed into a far more disciplined quarterback. He seems to have outgrown the impulse to muscle balls into double coverage.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Yeah

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. It's hard to bet against the Patriots. Though we've been one of the few teams in the AFC that has shown them to be human over the past years. I also wouldn't discount the Super Bowl Loss-hangover that has been pretty evident in recent history. It even happened to the Patriots themselves the last time they were in the big game and lost.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it's easy to bet against the Patriots. Especially if they are playing the Giants, in the Super Bowl.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

I'm genuinely upset by the release of Chris Cooley. I understand the decision, and have seen the writing on the wall all off-season. He's barely played the last few years, and has clearly lost a step. But it still sucks, he's one my favorite players from the last ten years.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't see that H-back type of player much anymore. I'm assuming it's injury-related then?

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    No, it's easy to bet against the Patriots. Especially if they are playing the Giants, in the Super Bowl.
    Now that's just plain mean. Funny. But mean.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Oh yeah...Patriots fans have a right to be woe is me and all butthurt about such a statement

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Superbowl prediction....Eagles vs Ravens!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    You don't see that H-back type of player much anymore. I'm assuming it's injury-related then?
    It has become unusual. Cooley became a more traditional tight end when Gibbs retired. He has had ankle and knee problems for a few years now, not the player he once was. It was an open secret that he was playing for a roster spot. He knew it, and has been open about it since the spring. I have no criticism of the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Being fair, just making the play-offs four straight years (and 9 of last 11) is incredibly impressive. For all the hype, they have not been the same since Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, Ty Law, Mike Vrabel, and Teddy Bruschi left.

New Reply
Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast